Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
I liked season 1 better. Makishima felt like a better antagonist and things seemed to make more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

I switched into trainwreck-watching mode pretty early on. The police as a team is absolutely retarded, the plot makes basically no sense, but main girl is ok and Saiga is pretty cool.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Nah, ANN episode reviews are perfectly capable of giving a 'meh' reaction or acknowledging a series's pros and cons (in fact, they tend to be solid, reliable reviewers with a good eye for detail, excluding Theron Martin and Lauren Orsini), and Chapman is no exception. See her writeups on Vanadis for an example. In fact, she starts out cautiously optimistic on P-P S2 before becoming very much not.

Hmm--I see. For anime reviews I usually feel more compelled to follow if I had a basic idea on which series they considered previously to be entertaining or not. Although, I don't really pay much attn to ANN other than sometimes they will release new announcements for sequels or to check credits.

EDIT: Checking again, I'm mistaken actually I have seen that specific reviewer before but just not from ANN.

Alder fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 29, 2014

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm surprised by how neutral/positive the thread has generally been about this season. ANN's Hope Chapman has really been getting the knives out for it in her episode reviews.

I think it's usually best to actually review things on a whole, not just episode wise, but that's just me. She's been wrong about things but generally backs up her complaints, I just don't agree with how she sees some things. I like the show overall. It's definitely very different from Season 1, but I think it's a good change of pace. I don't think the writers butchered anything, and while it definitely could have been better, I think it's still pretty good as is, so I'm happy.

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
this show is probably not for you if youre the type that needs a plot that holds together perfectly and cant really see beyond that. there's nothing wrong with that type of person intrinsically, but i think there are some neat concepts in this show that justify keeping up with it. i just like all the body switching and zombie brain stuff actually.

i think the biggest problems in the show are the more akward moments, such as a tendency towards melodrama, which is perhaps justified as the characters are dealing with some heavy stuff, but that sort of thing always fucks up the tone to some level.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
This season's fine for me, we get to explore Sybil more and we get to possibly see more of how Akane interacts with it. Last season I think we were equally focused on Kougami and that season was just the beginning of Akane's character arc.

Its Blade Runner meets Minority Report meets 1984, of course parts of it aren't going to hold up, its the honest modern take on speculative fiction that is the primary draw to me. Does anyone think Brave New World holds up any better than PP? I actually don't think so.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
So if Sybil knows exactly who Kamui is and what he's trying to do, why is it doing basically nothing to try to top him?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Dr_Amazing posted:

So if Sybil knows exactly who Kamui is and what he's trying to do, why is it doing basically nothing to try to top him?

It's too busy sitting around being smug and laying burns on Inspectors to actually do anything.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Dr_Amazing posted:

Sibyl's using Kamui as a study case, the system seems to care more about how Akane deals with the situation than the situation itself. It's content to let things take their course because it wants to study that course.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Darth Walrus posted:

Nah, ANN episode reviews are perfectly capable of giving a 'meh' reaction or acknowledging a series's pros and cons (in fact, they tend to be solid, reliable reviewers with a good eye for detail, excluding Theron Martin and Lauren Orsini), and Chapman is no exception. See her writeups on Vanadis for an example. In fact, she starts out cautiously optimistic on P-P S2 before becoming very much not.

The first episodes of Psycho Pass 2 haven't done a thing for me with its unlikable additions to the main cast and a fairly uninteresting mystery (the highly flawed system we saw in season 1...is shown to have flaws? How can this be?). But I remember wanting to drop Psycho Pass 1 after the first few episodes but I'm glad I stuck it out so...yeah. Bring on more Psycho Pass 2.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I think for me, I get an overall "hope" or "goal" for the show and I watch it with that in mind. For Psycho-Pass, I want to see what happens with Akane overall. Obviously Sibyl has something in mind for Akane, and the end result might not be fun or pretty. Also, seeing Akane grow and change is really cool.

With that said, all the other stuff is just fluff either getting Akane to the end goal or not really important.

I will say though, I did enjoy seeing Mika get a big surprise at the end of this episode. She seems totally set on torpedoing Akane's career. Ever time Mika has gone to the chief with some whine about Akane, she's gotten rebuffed. You'd think she'd get the drift. But, she doesn't.

I was hopeful that even though Togane seems like both a complete creep and evil, he might still have Akane's best interests at heart. From this last episode's end-scene, it's clear he doesn't.

For Akane, what doesn't kill her will likely make her stronger, so I'm looking forward to seeing how she ends up, still.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

The Black Stones posted:

I think it's usually best to actually review things on a whole, not just episode wise, but that's just me. She's been wrong about things but generally backs up her complaints, I just don't agree with how she sees some things. I like the show overall. It's definitely very different from Season 1, but I think it's a good change of pace. I don't think the writers butchered anything, and while it definitely could have been better, I think it's still pretty good as is, so I'm happy.

I like reading complete series reviews too. Obviously, not a option for current shows but episode reviews tend to be disjointed. The exceptions would be if the author was pointing out concepts I've might have missed from the big picture or providing extra context.

For me a show doesn't have to have a amazing story but just interesting enough characters in a stylish setting that is fast-paced so I don't fall asleep halfway. Akane is the one of the redeeming factors and IDK if I'd be as interested if she were replaced by Kougami per se.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

so compared to GITS SAC, is this show any good? how's the animation?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Legal Positivism at its finest.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Is she bonkers? I'm pretty sure she's snapped; or is just simply deathly afraid now. Like, you're Winston in 1984 and you finally realize how huge, inevitable, and impassively evil everything really is and just stop functioning.

Has Gen started writing for this show again? I'm getting Urubuchi vibes now as the show is determined to make Tsunemori suffer. I'm slightly confused though, who has Aoi? Was it Kamui or both?

Wikipedia since I was curious: "Legal Positism: The fact that it [the law] might be unjust, unwise, inefficient or imprudent is never sufficient reason for doubting its legality." :stare:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

It's good. Crazy and over the top, but good. It's another dramatic sci-fi anime dealing with some similar questions of technological systems, society, and consensus reality, but it's definitely definitely dopier than GITS:SAC. To make up for it, it's much more focused on the act of policing itself and the problematic nature of judgement and precrime, with a lot more horror and gore.

I'd say it's more akin to Minority Report: Japan Edition: The Anime than GITS, but the parallels are still obvious.

The animation is...OK. Usually. (Cue the shots of all the times the characters go :pseudo: in the background when a shot isn't animated with enough detail.)

Raenir Salazar posted:

Has Gen started writing for this show again?

Gen's always been writing for the show in the sense of being the Story Planner and Scenario Director. His little touches are all over this season.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

icantfindaname posted:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/psycho-pass-2/episode-9/.81780

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

To be real with y'all, the first vibe that I got from this episode review was "Oh, come on! Now this show is just trying to out-chuuni the Inou Battle cast!". I know I'm just projecting, but it really felt like this person just... kinda didn't get the point. Which makes it even funnier. Oh, also: "I can't write for poo poo, but I'll be fine if I just overcompensate by having a verbal diarrhea seizure"

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

icantfindaname posted:

Comparably no, meaning no one is saying "Psycho Pass is in my Top X anime ever", but it is a fine show on it's own. It's less task force/politics and more detective investigation/sociology. I'm liking the second season more than the first, but we'll see how it ends.

Also there's a bit after the credits of (09) that doesn't really make much sense w.r.t. the show itself (did... you just try to generate drama to the viewer in like 10 seconds by getting us to think the grandma we already thought was killed just got killed again? :pwn:)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

AnacondaHL posted:

Comparably no, meaning no one is saying "Psycho Pass is in my Top X anime ever", but it is a fine show on it's own. It's less task force/politics and more detective investigation/sociology. I'm liking the second season more than the first, but we'll see how it ends.

Also there's a bit after the credits of (09) that doesn't really make much sense w.r.t. the show itself (did... you just try to generate drama to the viewer in like 10 seconds by getting us to think the grandma we already thought was killed just got killed again? :pwn:)

Receiving a body part is meant to state that "We have your [special person], now gently caress off/pay is X."

I'm still a little confused myself as its implied Kamui definitely had her originally and then somehow the guy found her.

The cool/possibly scary/disturbing thing is how Akane's hue is implied to have not even budged as she regained her composure and entered detective mode without much difficulty.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Receiving a body part is meant to state that "We have your [special person], now gently caress off/pay is X."

Yes, that's traditionally the message, but when there's a bunch of mutilated innocent people being burned alive in the background I'd argue that context creates a different statement.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

Not really, no. That first season is alright and has its flaws, but with this last episode, the only honest redeeming value this second show has anymore is in being unintentionally hilarious.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
I dont know about you guys but I've been enjoying this season just as much as the first, but in a different way.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

Is she bonkers? I'm pretty sure she's snapped; or is just simply deathly afraid now. Like, you're Winston in 1984 and you finally realize how huge, inevitable, and impassively evil everything really is and just stop functioning.

Yeah, I think it's something like that. I don't think that she is genuinely happy about what she found out, she's just absolutely terrified and despairing, and maybe also clinging desperately to the structure and rules that have been guiding her all this time. Her reactions later in the episode looked normal enough. She's clearly horrified by what's been going on, even if she doesn't have what it takes to defy Sibyl or understand that defiance is possible for her.

With the sort of stress she was under there, it really makes me think that she could be asymptomatic.

Raenir Salazar posted:

The cool/possibly scary/disturbing thing is how Akane's hue is implied to have not even budged as she regained her composure and entered detective mode without much difficulty.

She is at the very least in a situation where as far as she knew, Kamui had not have killed her grandmother yet. She lost her composure for a moment, but regaining it quickly and thinking things through calmly could be beneficial from the perspective of saving her granny too. I reckon the real test will be when she finds out that her granny is dead. It's not as if Akane is entirely immune from psycho-pass number increases.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

AnacondaHL posted:

Yes, that's traditionally the message, but when there's a bunch of mutilated innocent people being burned alive in the background I'd argue that context creates a different statement.

The mutilated people begged for death iirc from what the military guy said. I don't think there's really a context that for us being objective viewers knowing its fiction would be 'forced' to go with the 'ear means shes dead Jim.' I think most people would rationally conclude the reason for the ear as opposed to seeing her being burned alive with the others is that they have her alive "somewhere".

Which is confirmed by the stinger; though how the Togane found her and what's going on there is unknown.

But yeah, angry Akane is pretty interesting to see.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Wark Say posted:

To be real with y'all, the first vibe that I got from this episode review was "Oh, come on! Now this show is just trying to out-chuuni the Inou Battle cast!". I know I'm just projecting, but it really felt like this person just... kinda didn't get the point. Which makes it even funnier. Oh, also: "I can't write for poo poo, but I'll be fine if I just overcompensate by having a verbal diarrhea seizure"

You may just be functionally illiterate.

cloverpie
Nov 18, 2012
Somebody please explain to me the significance of the "animals" actually being people hidden behind a holo? Who are they? Why are they there?

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

cloverpie posted:

Somebody please explain to me the significance of the "animals" actually being people hidden behind a holo? Who are they? Why are they there?

I'm not totally clear on this either, but my impression was that the people hidden behind the holos were the torture victims of the powerful people whom Kamui was seated at dinner with. The torture victims were illegal aliens who the officials had gathered. They had apparently suffered so much that they would prefer to die in the fire than live on. I don't know if the torturers were the ones who set up the holos or if it was just done that way by Kamui and co to make an impact.

Van Dine fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Dec 5, 2014

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Phobophilia posted:

You may just be functionally illiterate.

You know, I get that a lot. :haw:

I just thought her impressions were hilariously late to the party.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

cloverpie posted:

The dude they just picked up said the animals were all immigrants. Explicitly. While standing in front of the burning house of dead immigrants arranged as animals.

The Mechanical Hand
May 21, 2007

as this blessed evening falls don't forget the alcohol
I've been trying pretty hard to enjoy this season and I was mostly with it until Kamui was revealed as frankenstein's monster, and the Chief wasn't just another Sybil brain in the chief but actually the chief's brain in the chief this time! It's a train wreck. I know Season 1 had its issues with plot and was over the top but it wasn't this level of nonsense. I would have much rather had it be another random set of sybil's inhabitants occupying the Chief cyborg and not this Togane foundation plot. Having Sybil as a whole vs. Akane's stance on handling the law would have felt much better to me. And the way Mika's story has gone has been awful. I still want to see where this is all going and how it will end, and angry Akane was pretty cool to see, but it's been a frustrating ride.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I've started watching Season 1 since it's on Netflix and I always meant to check it out for Urobutchi, and while I kind of like the whole anime minority report thing, I really hate how they made Akane such a waif. Does she eventually get some spine and start being the proper MC, or is she just a viewpoint character and the real MC is Kogami (because I sure hope that isn't the case)?

e: oh my god that stupid coin avatar

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 5, 2014

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rodyle posted:

I've started watching Season 1 since it's on Netflix and I always meant to check it out for Urobutchi, and while I kind of like the whole anime minority report thing, I really hate how they made Akane such a waif. Does she eventually get some spine and start being the proper MC, or is she just a viewpoint character and the real MC is Kogami (because I sure hope that isn't the case)?

Stick with it. The pay-off for Akane's arc is worth it.

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

Season 1 is one of my all time favourite shows. Season 2 is garbage alright, particularly with this latest episode, I can't stop watching though because I'm invested in the characters :(.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Season 2's problem, is the fact its only 11 episodes. So it has to condense and not allow proper build-up.

Edit: I don't think this season is bad, it's just the obvious budget cut hurt it.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 5, 2014

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

God drat it Akane all you had to do was shoot the fucker.

e: episode 11 for the record

e2: Okay yeah no that scene was just loving stupid. I was already spoiled on Mikishima's deal and that's interesting, but Akane's response is pathetic, especially since it looked like she was actually starting to become assertive.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 5, 2014

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

Rodyle posted:

God drat it Akane all you had to do was shoot the fucker.

e: episode 11 for the record

e2: Okay yeah no that scene was just loving stupid. I was already spoiled on Mikishima's deal and that's interesting, but Akane's response is pathetic, especially since it looked like she was actually starting to become assertive.

I don't think that part was neccasrily about being assertive. It's more like the system that has literally made her and governed her since birth is not working.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I could not agree more with this ANN review and going through this thread I'm genuinely surprised there are people who seem to be unironically liking this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Misandrist Wytch posted:

I don't think that part was neccasrily about being assertive. It's more like the system that has literally made her and governed her since birth is not working.

And? She had the means to save her friend and didn't even try. It's a lovely scene and just made me hate how she's our female lead and not someone cool like Yayoi. She sucked so much that I kind of hated the other characters because it felt like she was just made to make them cooler by comparison.

But whatever, rough early parts, it's gotten better. Episode 16: :chanpop:

• Locked thread