Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
I went to some huge competitions back in high school

There's so much crying regardless if it's an ensemble thing or a solo thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Kumiko is established early on as a rather superficial person who's concerned primarily with how other people see her. She spends most of the series going with the flow and trying to avoid conflict of any kind. It isn't until much later that she starts having her own goals that she wants to achieve. The point of the crying scene is for the audience to ask "why does this other person care when the protagonist doesn't?" Which the entire show is meant to answer.

The breast thing is eh, but IIRC it's just a part of her dressing up for the first day of school: ie: she's just being extremely concerned about her appearance in every aspect. More focus is put on the ponytail though.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Well the context of the breast size rumour thing is also the idea that she is fixated on aspects of maturity and personal growth happening just with time and luck.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Ah alright, I guess I jumped the gun a bit, but without knowing the full arc that stuff just seemed off to me.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

don't downplay the breast thing. the episode where they have physicals brings it up again.

except neither of time is bad or generic and the second one is a great gag.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

I literally cried this competition. Jesus christ. I have never cried for an ensemble in... god, a long a time. Not even band camp. Just... wow.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Jostiband posted:

I literally cried this competition. Jesus christ. I have never cried for an ensemble in... god, a long a time. Not even band camp. Just... wow.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Jostiband posted:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

OK that's much funnier now that i've had some coffee woke up a bit.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWrZxjSSdkM

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fangz posted:

This is nutty of me but I really think an yuri end is gonna happen.

Why?

That's right. This show is happening in real time. The two stars I labelled are Venus and Jupiter.

There's a better shot here:

You might remember them from a certain episode...

What is the significance of Venus and Jupiter?

http://www.astrologyonline.eu/Learn_Astrology/Article_detail.asp?ID=97

On the eve of June 30th, when the final episode of Euphonium airs, Jupiter and Venus will be at their closest conjunction until August next year. The two brightest stars in the sky will be seen to 'collide'.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2015/06/23/track-jupiter-venus-nightly-as-they-appear-to-collide-in-vivid-planetary-conjunction-july-1/
http://www.iflscience.com/space/best-planet-duo-2015-venus-and-jupiter

:tinfoil:

I agree

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nobody in band ever cried but we sucked rear end and I went to an all guys high school so that's not surprising

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Anyway, I forgot I was watching this show and watched the last 3 episodes last night to finish it. I stopped caring about most of what was happening with Kumiko and Reina bc I find will they/won't they stories really boring when they're this melodramatic and straightforward, but I thought the performance at the end was really cool. I won't watch a season 2.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I only watched it because it's KyoAni +Music. I will watch season 2 because it's KyoAni + Music. Also, I learned about astronomy. A couple weeks ago I was walking through the park with my wife at twilight and she asked me about the two interesting planets that were close to each other. Did I know what was the deal?

Yes. I did because of this anime.

Plus, the next day there was a big article in the local paper about the two planets written by a local astronomer. Still, I was one-up because of Euphonium.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

In Training posted:

Nobody in band ever cried but we sucked rear end and I went to an all guys high school so that's not surprising

That sounds like hell

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

littleorv posted:

That sounds like hell

We took first place at every regional competition due to technicalities and made everyone else who actually practiced and were good really salty, it was good fun. Band and music is cool

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

In Training posted:

We took first place at every regional competition due to technicalities and made everyone else who actually practiced and were good really salty, it was good fun. Band and music is cool

Villain team spotted.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

In Training posted:

I meant the all boys highschool part.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

littleorv posted:

Depends on what you're into.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Fair enough

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hungryjack posted:

Depends on what you're into.

I mean, poo poo, wasn't this whole show about the inherent inferiority of heterosexuality?

There may have been some stuff about a music competition, I don't recall.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

This show was pretty gay, but ultimately not gay enough. :(

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

littleorv posted:

Girls are stupid, who needs em.

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Anime not saved.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Yeah, can't dispute that. I mean, it's about par for the course (or slightly less) for a KyoAni romance, but I totally get that there's a need for gay romance to push further and be less ambiguous given the cultural/historical context, and it'd be nice if they had the stones to commit to that given the changes they made to the source material.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

BTW, the OST is out, and has full uninterrupted versions of stuff like RYDEEN and Crescent Moon dance. If you are fast enough before it gets taken down, you might be able to find it on Youtube.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Been waiting on this. I was surprised I couldn't find crescent moon dance on YouTube anywhere. Is it an original composition for the show?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Hungryjack posted:

Been waiting on this. I was surprised I couldn't find crescent moon dance on YouTube anywhere. Is it an original composition for the show?

Yes, it is.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Wonder if they'll release the band score with parts... :spergin:

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

I have no memory of the Marines' Hymn from Sound! Euphonium, but there it is on the soundtrack.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Hungryjack posted:

I have no memory of the Marines' Hymn from Sound! Euphonium, but there it is on the soundtrack.

It was what they played in Episode 3 for the Marching Band sequence.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Hungryjack posted:

It's the piece Taki had the band play to make them realize they sucked.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Hungryjack posted:

Its not the US Marines song, it's the Japanese Marines song (I linked a version in the OP)

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

AnacondaHL posted:

Its not the US Marines song, it's the Japanese Marines song (I linked a version in the OP)

Who said US Marines?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Hungryjack posted:

Who said US Marines?

Me, and many youtube searches

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I love that the soundtrack has deliberately bad versions of some of the songs. Track 2-2 is rather painful.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Fangz posted:

I love that the soundtrack has deliberately bad versions of some of the songs. Track 2-2 is rather painful.

I wonder how they got those tracks. If they just have them the sheet music and asked them all to play and used the first recording or if they told certain people to play poorly on purpose

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Good players (who are usually private instructors too) need to be able to sound bad and identify and manipulate what it is that makes the sound bad so they can identify, discuss, and demonstrate to their students how to correct those issues. So when an anime or movie studio calls up asking them to play like junior high students, and show the characters improving through practice, good players should be able to do that with no problem

MMania
May 7, 2008
I never taught music and don't consider myself that great a musician, and it is extremely easy to play poorly. It's about as hard as putting on a bad foreign accent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

So lewd.

(They're putting some 3 min specials on the BDs.)

• Locked thread