Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Tunicate posted:

I am, because the swap in roles between him and Amaram in book 3 is really grating, and the original draft would have worked better.

I felt the same until Jasnah eviscerated him and insulted his mother until he cried

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Tunicate posted:

I am, because the swap in roles between him and Amaram in book 3 is really grating, and the original draft would have worked better.

What was the original?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Dog Kisser posted:

I felt the same until Jasnah eviscerated him and insulted his mother until he cried

Jasnah is just the best.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

RC Cola posted:

What was the original?

Amaram got hit by the poison dart, Sadeas survived, Oathbringer plot is largely unchanged.

The conversation at the end of OB between Kaladin and Amaram works a lot better with Sadeas instead

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Something else that has struck me as odd while re-reading:

Highstorms are made out to be near-guaranteed death to be caught out in one, literally entire city layouts are built around storms coming in from the east... But Tvlakv's slave caravans can weather them with some slide-down wooden boards. Dalinar almost just got caught out in one, seeks refuge in some random building on his way back to the warcamp and it notes that "In Dalinar's camp, no one was forced to weather the tempests in stormtents or flimsy wooden shacks"

They'll kill you, but a tent or flimsy shack is sufficient? :thunk:

I know this is really nitpicky, and I am still enjoying the poo poo out of the book. Just seemed... incongruent with how I imagine the storms in my head.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sab669 posted:

Highstorms are made out to be near-guaranteed death to be caught out in one, literally entire city layouts are built around storms coming in from the east... But Tvlakv's slave caravans can weather them with some slide-down wooden boards. Dalinar almost just got caught out in one, seeks refuge in some random building on his way back to the warcamp and it notes that "In Dalinar's camp, no one was forced to weather the tempests in stormtents or flimsy wooden shacks"

They'll kill you, but a tent or flimsy shack is sufficient? :thunk:

I know this is really nitpicky, and I am still enjoying the poo poo out of the book. Just seemed... incongruent with how I imagine the storms in my head.

They get less severe depending where on Roshar the person is. They’re most severe near the shattered plains where the war camps are

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

mewse posted:

They’re most severe near the shattered plains where the war camps are

That only makes it more confusing that a "tent or flimsy wooden shack" would suffice :shrug:

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

dalinar's aura as a protagonist reinforced the weakened walls

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
I'm pretty sure they stake down the wagons and they're only flimsy by the standards that exist on Roshar due to highstorms.

Even Kaladin has said he weathered highstorms outside by hiding behind a big rear end rock that gave enough shelter. The big danger is really the amount of rocks and debris that it sweeps up. Unless you get whapped by a boulder, a wooden building or very heavy tent would be enough since the danger to an unprotected human is small debris and hypothermia.

The whole reason the cities are built in the laits is so you don't have to have buildings that can survive a huge loving boulder.

Edit: I wonder if it's like, just the one boulder that keeps circumnavigating. Like is it the Stormfather's pet rock?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

SynthesisAlpha posted:

I'm pretty sure they stake down the wagons and they're only flimsy by the standards that exist on Roshar due to highstorms.

Even Kaladin has said he weathered highstorms outside by hiding behind a big rear end rock that gave enough shelter. The big danger is really the amount of rocks and debris that it sweeps up. Unless you get whapped by a boulder, a wooden building or very heavy tent would be enough since the danger to an unprotected human is small debris and hypothermia.

The whole reason the cities are built in the laits is so you don't have to have buildings that can survive a huge loving boulder.

Edit: I wonder if it's like, just the one boulder that keeps circumnavigating. Like is it the Stormfather's pet rock?

Yeah I always got the feeling that your chance of outright dying is relatively low, but a 1% chance of being brained by a boulder is still far, far higher than most people would be happy with

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

eke out posted:

Yeah I always got the feeling that your chance of outright dying is relatively low, but a 1% chance of being brained by a boulder is still far, far higher than most people would be happy with

Wouldn't even have to be a boulder, really. A baseball sized rock getting thrown at your head could do some real damage, but even a tent or a flimsy shack would stop it enough to keep you from getting badly hurt.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

seaborgium posted:

Wouldn't even have to be a boulder, really. A baseball sized rock getting thrown at your head could do some real damage, but even a tent or a flimsy shack would stop it enough to keep you from getting badly hurt.

Some high velocity airborne sand could do some serious damage to anyone with exposed soft parts, like eyeballs or skin.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Also they are pre-antibiotics and the bacteria on Roshar can infect humans so even minor infected wounds can be dangerous and high winds plus sand can abrade skin.

You also can’t underestimate how bad wind and rain are at killing an exposed human.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

The worldbuilding really is very good. The big reveal in Oathbringer that humans aren't native to Roshar was interesting in that it wasn't really a huge surprise. There's clearly humans on a bunch of other planets, and the fact that 'normal' plants and animals only exist in one place already strongly implied that they landed and spread from there. Once you got the earlier reveal that even the Listeners have gem hearts it's already pretty obvious that humans (and assorted handful of mundane earth animals) are the outliers somehow.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Dog Kisser posted:

The worldbuilding really is very good. The big reveal in Oathbringer that humans aren't native to Roshar was interesting in that it wasn't really a huge surprise. There's clearly humans on a bunch of other planets, and the fact that 'normal' plants and animals only exist in one place already strongly implied that they landed and spread from there. Once you got the earlier reveal that even the Listeners have gem hearts it's already pretty obvious that humans (and assorted handful of mundane earth animals) are the outliers somehow.

Sanderson is best for those kinds of "reveals". It's a surprise except it makes perfect sense and you probably sorta figured it out or all the dots were there but you never tried to connect them until now.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Dog Kisser posted:

One remark from Hoid kind of hinted at that early, when he observed that Rosharans call a certain animal "axehound", yet they have never seen a dog. I wonder if there are dogs in Shinovar, or if this is an association that survived their flight from Ashyn

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Also things like calling every bird a chicken, which is cute

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Don't forget that all alcohol is referred to as wine, even though they are mostly spirits!

Also, since no one else has posted this yet:

https://mobile.twitter.com/BrandSanderson/status/1177129181609463809

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

I just finished my reread of Stormlight and now I'm craving book 4.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Go read Cradle if you haven't already.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Cicero posted:

What's Cradle?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

RC Cola posted:

What's Cradle?

I think they're referring to Will Wight's Cradle series. It's like the most bat-poo poo insane Wuxia story dressed up as a fantasy series with an underlying SciFi framework. Each book the stakes are more over the top than the last.

It's not deep literature by any means, but for me it's a super fun popcorn read. He's pretty quick coming out with these books releasing one every 6 months or so.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Cicero posted:

I enjoyed Cradle, and book 7 just came out last week. Uncrowned was such a weird mix of good writing and sub par plotting, I still don't know how I feel about it all.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Cradle is one of my guilty pleasure series. I just love how unashamed he is will the level ups each book.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Proteus Jones posted:

I think they're referring to Will Wight's Cradle series. It's like the most bat-poo poo insane Wuxia story dressed up as a fantasy series with an underlying SciFi framework. Each book the stakes are more over the top than the last.

It's not deep literature by any means, but for me it's a super fun popcorn read. He's pretty quick coming out with these books releasing one every 6 months or so.

It's a Xianxia book(which is basically Wuxia but with the most overpowered battlemages of all time called cultivators) but with obvious Western cultural influences moderating it somewhat for our sensibilities, with a strong serving of Japanese Shounen thrown in as well because it's cool.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I do want to know what the real equivalent of the wine colors would be. Wanna get some of that sweet sweet blue

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Sab669 posted:

I always took it as they’re like a hurricane - you have a high chance of randomly dying in one, so it’s more seen as insanely stupid to go out in one.

Also regarding Dalinar, you forgot to mention that he went for an angry stroll in one because he couldn’t find a steak knife when he was younger.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Goreld posted:

Also regarding Dalinar, you forgot to mention that he went for an angry stroll in one because he couldn’t find a steak knife when he was younger.

Hahaha I forgot about that! I'm really looking forward to rereading Oathbringer as there were a number of parts that kind of confused me / I lost focus on as I was listening to the audiobook for part of it.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

I do want to know what the real equivalent of the wine colors would be. Wanna get some of that sweet sweet blue

It’s hpnotiq.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Almost finished with my reread of Way of Kings.

Chapter 60, Dalinar has another vision and it's noted that he didn't hear the storm coming. In this vision, he meets with a man in white and gold, a man he believes to be Nohadon. I read this a few days ago, so if memory serves at the end of this vision, the 'familiar voice' he hears at the end of the visions did not speak to him.

Chapter 61, it is confirmed it was a highstorm, but there's also this little passage:

quote:

Dalinar hesitated. How could he explain? On one hand, it was relieving to know that he was not mad. But what if some force were trying to mislead him with these visions, using images of Nohadon and the Radiants because he would find them trustworthy?

Sooo did he actually meet with Odium in this vision? :thunk:

also this is when Navani realizes he's speaking in Dawnchant

e; Double checked and yea, the voice does not speak to him at the end. I also checked Coppermind: https://coppermind.net/wiki/Dalinar%27s_visions#That_Which_We_Cannot_Have and Dalinar was going to revisit this vision when the Stormfater tells him he can share the visions with anyone.[10] He intentionally revisits to meet with Venli until the vision is destroyed by Odium.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 21, 2019

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Sab669 posted:

Chapter 60, Dalinar has another vision and it's noted that he didn't hear the storm coming. In this vision, he meets with a man in white and gold, a man he believes to be Nohadon. I read this a few days ago, so if memory serves at the end of this vision, the 'familiar voice' he hears at the end of the visions did not speak to him.

Chapter 61, it is confirmed it was a highstorm, but there's also this little passage:

e; Double checked and yea, the voice does not speak to him at the end. I also checked Coppermind: https://coppermind.net/wiki/Dalinar%27s_visions#That_Which_We_Cannot_Have and Dalinar was going to revisit this vision when the Stormfater tells him he can share the visions with anyone.[10] He intentionally revisits to meet with Venli until the vision is destroyed by Odium.

Yes, there is a lot that is very suspicious about both visions starring Nohadon. The first vision starts more abruptly than seems possible (Dalinar somehow completely misses the sounds of the incoming Highstorm and is cut off min-sentence). While it is confirmed later that a Highstorm did occur, Dalinar being taken completely by surprise by one seems unlikely and implies to me that the timing of the vision was a little earlier than usual, suggesting that this vision is different from the more standard visions. The convenient distraction by the Stormfather when Dalinar was planning to repeat the vision also seems like an effort to obscure from Dalinar and the reader that the first interaction was unique and the repeat viewings would be more scripted? When the vision is finally repeated, Dalinar is not in the primary role and thus may not paying full attention to how the vision seems more scripted this time through.

Most of the other visions are action focused and the NPCs have very scripted lines of dialogue they are intended to deliver and react with confusion when you try to extract extra information from them. Nohadon though held a very free flowing dialogue with Dalinar in both visions. My theory is that Nohadon's ghost isn't entirely gone, and has been using the visions to have timely conversations with Dalinar. The first Nohadon vision proved to Dalinar that he wasn't insane and the visions were authentic (via Navani realising that Dalinar was speaking a dead language), the second vision gave him clues about what words he needed to say next.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Sab669 posted:

That's a good find. I missed it on my reread, and only learned of it through reading the 17th Shard forums.

I don't think it's Odium. None of the things "Nohadon" says mesh either with Odium's own philosophy, or with him trying to deceive Dalinar. The opposite, Nohadon clearly restates the need for unity to face the Desolation(s). But the vision was still strange. As Subvisual Haze pointed out, it also gave Navani the first clue to figure out Dawnchant, so maybe that was it's purpose. But that would still be a big deviation from what Honor's vision were about.

The second vision was arguably even more important. When Dalinar has his big moment at the end of Oathbringer, he thought back at the question Nohadon asked him in that vision. And he came to the conclusion that "the most important step" is always the next step, so he resisted Odium's effort to turn him into his champion, and instead spoke the Third Oath.

Some people on the forums have speculated that Odium's "No! We killed you!" might refer to Nohadon. Some speculate that Nohadon was a Bondsmith bonded to the Stormfather, and that he's helping Dalinar as a kind of ghost, similar to Kelsier. And Brandon has consistently RAFOed questions about Nohadon. So something is clearly up with him, and those vision do stand out.

I'm impressed that you found this. It's one of the most intriguing mysteries in the series now, I'm very excited to find out more about it in the following books. Progress for outlining SA 4+5 has jumped up to 92%. If everything goes according to plan, we only have to wait a little more than a year for the release of SA 4.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ha! Thanks I guess :) I don't consider myself an especially astute reader, but yea there's definitely something going on there.

Alllllmost done with Way of Kings, Sadeas just retreated from The Tower and I'm so excited for the last couple chapters. I remember a lot of Words of Radiance, but I'm sure I'll pick up on some new stuff. I remember the major, key plot pieces of Oathbringer but there is SO MUCH I don't remember, it's practically going to be like reading it my first time. I don't even recall some of the things you mentioned, Torrannor.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I wanted to write in Skyward for the YA sci-fi/fantasy award on goodreads but it missed the window by 10 days last november.

quote:

Books published in the United States in English between November 16, 2018 and November 15, 2019 are eligible

quote:

Published November 6th 2018 by Gollancz

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stormlight_Archive/comments/du30gp/stormlight_book_four_update_6

Tldr - if he can write ~100k words by January then a 2020 release should still happen :ohdear:

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

Sab669 posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stormlight_Archive/comments/du30gp/stormlight_book_four_update_6

Tldr - if he can write ~100k words by January then a 2020 release should still happen :ohdear:

If nothing else, I really appreciate how open he is with his process to his fans. It's so much better than GRRM being like "oh yeah, I'm definitely still writing. Any day now!"

Brandon straight up saying "I have to write 100k words in 2 months to get the book out next year so I'm purposely not doing a promotional tour for the sequel to my very successful YA novel because my fans would rather have me writing than touring" is amazing.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Have faith all! Remember that he made a monster effort to close out OB. I recall a tweet somewhere that he was writing the last part, took a break in the middle to go watch the Avengers movie, then came back and hammered out the rest. It was like a writing speed of like 12k words that night.

Also I've preordered Starsight.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I think he should go at whatever speed is best for his health and happiness :)

His desire to please fans is great, but some of that seems like letting the pressure get to him which can lead to misery and burnout.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003
Writing seems to excite the dude, he manages burnout by writing other things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Well that's what burnout is, overdoing the things you love and enjoy, often not realizing that you don't love an enjoy them until suddenly it flips and you hate them, because external factors have forced you to turn your passion into tedium.

Not saying that's happening, I just hope he's not letting himself get pushed too hard.