Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
The roosters are back and in Camp Freezer. 15 went to the processor and 15 came back. So far no losses. They average about 5.5 lbs. they each ate roughly 20 lbs of feed.

So doing the napkin math each rooster had 7.50 in feed, 2.50 in bedding, 1.50 for the chick and 3.50 in processing adding up to about 15 bucks for a 5.5 lbs bird, or roughly 3 dollars a pound.

I’m perfectly happy with that price for my own meat.

Full circle, the first roo was delicious. Thank you for going on this journey with me goons. I recommend anyone with the space, time and processing facility close by raise their own birds. It’s very rewarding.

The hens are still bulking up but I feel like they may not get any bigger than 3-4 lbs. and that’s okay it’s good to have some smaller birds.

The legs on these roosters are huge. This is a 10 inch plate and the thigh alone takes up most of it.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wild drama llama
Jun 18, 2020
hello friends, it's avshalom. i need you all to know before the forums burn down forever and/or i get permabanned again that a few months ago, over the course of three terrible nights, three of my quail - quimmy, qtothe, and my sweet felafel - were slain. i believe the culprit was a rat. friday survived, and has been sleeping ever since in a box inside to keep her safe.

this was a tragedy and my heart was broken. losing felafel was especially hard, as he was approximately a thousand years old and had travelled with me across the country. but quail are a symbol of mortality, and death is part of life... and life always finds a way to continue

friday now has three new friends, which i bought from the weirdest loving animal house i've ever been inside. believe me, being a quail hobbyist takes you inside some very strange houses. this one was the strangest. they had ferrets in the kitchen! ferrets! in the kitchen!

my new angels are matzo

quimiii

and moose

they are thriving. moose survived a raven attack the other day; they die so easily that it's bizarre and almost troubling when one actually manages to live. and of course, friday is still doing well. she is very precious, as she carries on the bloodline not only of felafel, but of the mysterious frida quailo

and that is how things are going with the quail. shalom to all of you, and your magnificent flocks, and may we all meet together in the afterlife

wild drama llama fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jun 24, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

wild drama llama posted:

and moose

they are thriving. moose survived a raven attack the other day; they die so easily that it's bizarre and almost troubling when one actually manages to live. and of course, friday is still doing well. she is very precious, as she carries on the bloodline not only of felafel, but of the mysterious frida quailo

Oh no; you may discovered a breed of Quail that doesn't instinctively rush towards the most immediate and undignified end they can find at any given moment :stonklol:.

RIP Felafel though :ohdear:.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
Thanks for the update avs, I had been wondering about the quail. Sorry to hear about Felafel.

wild drama llama
Jun 18, 2020
felafel is with harambe now, standing guard over the heavens

here's the last photo i ever took of the king:

wild drama llama fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jun 24, 2020

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Oh poo poo, I'm so sorry.

wild drama llama posted:

Rest in Power tiny bird. :smith:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Sleep well, beloved quail. :smith:

Welcome, new quail friends to friday's flock. :3:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

After a week in the run we're letting our hens out and about in the garden now, they're loving just laying on the ground in front of the beehives. They're getting more confident as well and will eat out of our hands now which is good. 2 out of the 3 laying now so hopefully they're settling in.

wild drama llama
Jun 18, 2020
rats are so difficult to keep out of a hutch once they know there's an easy feed available that every single night, i gather the four quail into a cardboard box and bring them inside. it's become a beloved ritual of ours

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

We bought a couple of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Havahart-One-Door-Chipmunk-Squirrel-X-Small/dp/B000BPAVCG

for the times that we have any rats show up on our nighttime wildlife camera. Any rats caught are set free a couple of miles away. Possibly the neighbour's cats do the job for us, including any mice. Local cats are afraid / suspicious of our hens so we don't get any problems from them.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

spookygonk posted:

We bought a couple of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Havahart-One-Door-Chipmunk-Squirrel-X-Small/dp/B000BPAVCG

for the times that we have any rats show up on our nighttime wildlife camera. Any rats caught are set free a couple of miles away. Possibly the neighbour's cats do the job for us, including any mice. Local cats are afraid / suspicious of our hens so we don't get any problems from them.

Cats are something we're a bit worried about to be honest, just monitoring them just now. What kind of trail cam do you use out of interest?

Lysistrata
Sep 12, 2003
Anyone who truly believes he has friends is a fool.

wild drama llama posted:

felafel is with harambe now, standing guard over the heavens

Taken too soon :smith:

Also, i cant contribute but ive really been missing the quailposts in this thread.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Aramoro posted:

Cats are something we're a bit worried about to be honest, just monitoring them just now. What kind of trail cam do you use out of interest?

I'm in the UK, but Amazon US has the same camera:

Neewer Trail Game Camera

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Quote is not edit.

It's been working perfectly for months now. Only thing I do is put a strip of gaffer / waterproof tape over the top edge so no rain water gets in (a problem with a different make that was sent back for a refund).

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

spookygonk posted:

I'm in the UK, but Amazon US has the same camera:

Neewer Trail Game Camera

I am also in the UK! Well in Scotland so in the UK for now.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Aramoro posted:

I am also in the UK! Well in Scotland so in the UK for now.

Hey fellow UK, chicken keeping goon.

The camera was this one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07S67VM4N
but its annoyingly out of stock.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

If nothing else I am glad there is one last quailpost.

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

Is there any offsite for PI yet? I don’t have chickens yet but was planning on it and the stories and advice in here have been invaluable, and losing this would suck.

Also it’s an honor to be posting with avshalom, here, at the end of the world

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
So sorry about Felafel and the others, avs. I'm so sad, but glad that their legacy continues.

I don't think I've ever posted in this thread (e:wrong, but only a few posts!) but it's always been a lovely place to lurk and see bird photos and get invested, so thank you all fowl keepers, you're doing god's work and I'll really miss you all.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
I'm also looking for an alternative. Otherwise https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/ is all I know.

Haven't seen Chido in so many years. If all goes down the tubes this will have to be the final salute to my chicken inspiration. And thanks everybody else too, couldn't have done it w/o you.

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

BYC forums lack a certain... irreverence

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
Also, since there probably won't be another chance to post me fondling broody Turkey's breast:

https://i.imgur.com/O5sBE2J.mp4

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Check the latest announcement and stop running around like headless... oh, right.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Lawson posted:

Also, since there probably won't be another chance to post me fondling broody Turkey's breast:

https://i.imgur.com/O5sBE2J.mp4

LEWD :mad:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

So of the 10 chicks we got 8 were straight run unsexed and 2 are cream crested legbars which (I thought) could be sexed easily as chicks due to their color or something? This is what my wife explained to me at least.

Well, one of the legbars is strutting around beating up everyone else, always gets on the highest perch, and has taken to making a pitiful asthmatic crowing noise every morning as soon as they all come out of the coop. It's not rooster loud yet, and not quite as distinctive as that, but it's getting close. What the hell Blanche I thought you were for sure a hen...

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
Tom Nook is after my chickens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs-7y_Yd7-M

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:
My city allows me to keep up to 4 hens (no roosters) if I take a chicken-keeping class and get a permit. Luckily they're offering the class on Zoom now, so I signed up.

At least one of my neighbors has chickens. I'm not sure which one because I've only lived here for about a year, but once or twice I've seen a couple of gorgeous chickens strolling around.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

wild drama llama posted:

rats are so difficult to keep out of a hutch once they know there's an easy feed available that every single night, i gather the four quail into a cardboard box and bring them inside. it's become a beloved ritual of ours

Thank you for all the good posts and good times Avs, don't know what the future holds but I'll remember you.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Mine are a little more than a month old now. My husband promises their coop will be done this weekend. They're currently spending the days outside in a movable baby gate area and the nights in our shed inside a plastic kiddie pool surrounded by chicken wire. They were in my art studio, but our Norwegians can already fly and kept getting out despite a heavy cloth over the top of it and making GBS threads all over the place. At least if they get out in the shed its not as big of a deal if they poo poo everywhere. None of them went through an awkward phase yet. They just look like little chickens. Their feathers came in nice and even.

The Norwegians being bad trying to get out of their temp outside pen

My almost 2 year old is a chicken whisperer. He can walk up to them and scoop them up without a problem. He's gentle too.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:
I'm slowly reading through the thread, but while I'm doing that, would any of y'all mind sharing which breeds you kept/keep and a little about them?

As someone who is just beginning to learn about chickens, I'm kind of overwhelmed by all these different breeds.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Here's a nice thing.

While December 29th 2019 was the anniversary of Pip's rehoming, being a retired garden hen for the eighth year, today marks her 8.5 years of freedom.

Now, if you add the time Pip spent in her "previous life" (which is 18 months from egg hatch to end of life in a battery cage) then today is Pip's TENTH BIRTHDAY!

Who would have thought that the small, bald hen that was deathly afraid of everything and yet fought like a fury to be top hen would still be with us today (and top hen). Pip arrived with three other hens, sadly they are no longer with us, instead she has Molly (6 years old) and Bella and Daisy (almost 2 years with us) to boss around.

Queen Pip the Glorious is an extraordinary hen and although she's not as fast as she used to be, the fire is still there bubbling underneath (Molly found that out by accident recently).

Happy birthday Pip.

29th of December 2011 and this small (a mere 1.86kg), bald hen is brought home from British Hen Welfare Trust (BHWT) rehoming day, fresh from her battery cage.

Pip is an ISA Brown

5th February 2012.
In just over a month, Pip has discovered all the good food we put out for the hens, gained weight and decided to grow all her missing feathers at once.

This is Pip with her best friend Piper, they became thick as thieves and Piper was number two hen from early days.

Today is Pip's 10th birthday and here she is around lunch time having probably the second of her three daily baths. Pip likes to keep clean.

Pip enjoying a birthday cake, hand made from suet, seeds, scrambled egg and chopped cherries (some of her favourite snacks). She looks great for a ten year old hen. Happy birthday Pip.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
my goodness look at her! happy birthday pip

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
A Very Good Hen :3:

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.
Oh my goodness, I remember when you adopted her! :unsmith: happy birthday you old bird!!

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Happy birthday Pip! She still looks great!

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
What a good chicken!

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Happy birthday, Pip! What a great hen. :kimchi:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Pip pip hurray! :3:

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Ten years, wow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Happy Birthday to her majesty Queen Pip. Long may she reign!