Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

FilthyImp posted:

I'm a week behind but the Mami/Chizuru cliffhanger is gonna be something.

Constantly rotating between Mami Sucks Worst to Kazuya Sucks More.

I'm wondering if the weird obsession with image and being single applies to actresses in Japan the way it does to their idols? Like, if Chizuru becomes a moderately successful actress could her prior job land her in hot water??
Image, yes (I mean that's a given, but still). Actresses being single, kinda... depends? Like even the VA's that are treated in an idol-ish way can have normal relationships, even if sometimes they need to keep their personal lives on super lockdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FilthyImp posted:

Oh hin, you want creepy? Then you need My First Girlfriend is a Gal, where one of the Hapless Lead's Brofriends has a severe and loving gross loli complex :thunkgun:

Is that the one where the English VA just noped out on the role after a few episodes?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

Oh hin, you want creepy? Then you need My First Girlfriend is a Gal, where one of the Hapless Lead's Brofriends has a severe and loving gross loli complex :thunkgun:

Or the JK Mangas like the one where salaryman mentors a 15 year old under the direct orders of his boss or the one where the office lady cosplays as a high schooler and lands a 16 year old accidentally
thanks for the recs but im not really into this kind of stuff. glad you enjoy them tho!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ive been thinking on it a lot lately, and while the kiriko series starts rather generically as a creepy manga, part 2 actually is a lot of fun despite being nonsense. fun kills, some likeable characters and many people getting deservedly wrecked. there is better stuff of course, but the amount of creepy manga being released currently is so low i still remember it half a year later

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
imagining some kind of forums supervillain who actively reads and assembles a massive internal database of manga with weird and creepy elements to warn others about constantly but always stays just vague enough about what they're talking about that nobody can actually get specifics out of them and are just forced to make assumptions of what they might be referring to and what manga it might be in

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

all in all though i have read far better creepy manga this year, though they are generally older. wakusei closet was a brilliantly executed lovecraftian tale from an author of which i have read all the works, i always felt like she was close to greatness but had never reached it. this turned out to be her first series to actually reach it. besides that i have read the classic drifting classroom, which should need no introduction as Kazuo Umezu is of course one of the most influental creepy manga author of all time, and this is his most influential work.

i also ventured to read dragon head, one of the most popular post apocalyptic manga in japan and a sad disappointment. in one word i would describe it as: stupid.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dont sign your posts!!!!!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
dav can you give me any dav-approved classic creepy manga to read next month. i'm thinking about reading alien nine but i dunno if that counts

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
There was this one short story compilation all from the same author called Seeds of Unease/Terror, something like that. A lot of the impact came from the stories being like 4 or 5 page-chapters that allowed your brain to wander and scare itself. I liked it and I haven't found anything quite like it (the brevity of the chapters I mean).

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

alien 9 is a fantastic choice but i would highly recommend watching the anime first. if its classic the easy choice would be to recommend a junjo ito, but since it's easy that's a boring choice. I would suggest entering the world of 90's, now mostly dead as a genre, shoujo horror with Slit-Mouthed Woman Legends by Inuki Kanako. not for nothing she was named the queen of horror. while shoujo horror magazines have pretty much died out, she was one of the most popular authors in the genre while it was at its peak. most of the japanese horror legends you see recycled oh so often have had strong portrayals by her. another strong choice to check out for somewhat old horror would be Takahashi Yousuk, with for example man eater.

of course its also fun to go back a bit further and check out one of tezuka's scary stories, or perhaps one of the classic horror shoujo like Alisa of the Silver Hair

Wark Say posted:

There was this one short story compilation all from the same author called Seeds of Unease/Terror, something like that. A lot of the impact came from the stories being like 4 or 5 page-chapters that allowed your brain to wander and scare itself. I liked it and I haven't found anything quite like it (the brevity of the chapters I mean).

Masaaki Nakayama is the author you are thinking of. he has several series with the same concept.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Legit bummed that You Will Hear the Voice of the Dead ended because there was some really unsettling stuff and art In there. Wish that it and Franken Fran could get a good adaptation since the Ito Collection was trash.

The Colonel posted:

imagining some kind of forums supervillain who actively reads and assembles a massive internal database of manga with weird and creepy elements to warn others about constantly but always stays just vague enough about what they're talking about that nobody can actually get specifics out of them and are just forced to make assumptions of what they might be referring to and what manga it might be in
If I end up losing my job in a month I'll volunteer to do this. Provided I can Kramer around Endorph like some forums Newman

Wark Say posted:

Like even the VA's that are treated in an idol-ish way can have normal relationships, even if sometimes they need to keep their personal lives on super lockdown.
I figure Mami would be a Big enough jerk to spread gossip rag rumors if Chizuru ever made it big.

I thought about the social effects while thinking about Utada Hikaru getting married to someone older than her at 19 and then divorced a few years later.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 26, 2020

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Please don't forums stalk other posters.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

wuggles posted:

You know I can’t really get on the Kazuya hate train. I think he’s a gently caress up, but he seems overall well meaning and the show seems to be clearly telegraphing a redemption arc for him. I think of him as a Scott Pilgrim who can grow up.

Mami is delightful and you’re in for a good time this week.

Yeah, basically. I enjoyed this season way more than I expected to and I'm glad it's getting another.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Julias posted:

Please don't forums stalk other posters.

I notice this says nothing about IRL stalking.

N.B. This post is a (probably very bad) joke.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

Provided I can Kramer around Endorph like some forums Newman

Wha

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

He wants to hang around the Ewoks, obviously.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Davincie posted:

Masaaki Nakayama is the author you are thinking of. he has several series with the same concept.
Sweet! Thanks!

Also don't stalk anyone, neither online nor IRL please and thank you.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Wark Say posted:

Also don't stalk anyone, neither online nor IRL please and thank you.
*puts away meticulous excel spreadsheet with linked pages of posts*

Yes, that would be... crazy... wouldn't it. :stonklol:

Sorry for shittin up the last page, guys.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

*puts away meticulous excel spreadsheet with linked pages of posts*

Yes, that would be... crazy... wouldn't it. :stonklol:

considering multiple people have literally done this to me this isnt a very funny joke

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Would there be any interest in a Rent A Girlfriend/Kanojo, Okarishimasu thread seeing as there's going to be a second season and the English version of the manga is slated to release about one volume every two months?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

wuggles posted:

Would there be any interest in a Rent A Girlfriend/Kanojo, Okarishimasu thread seeing as there's going to be a second season and the English version of the manga is slated to release about one volume every two months?

:justpost:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

wuggles posted:

I'd rent this.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

I'd be down to post in a thread as long as we ban the word simp because nerds are loving wierd and awful but a special sort of terrible seems to dog pile on any Rent-A-Girlfriend conversation. But honestly :justpost:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ban the simps

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Simps are so last month, now it's all about the shrimps.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

simps will be allowed outside of no simp september

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Simps, Shrimps, pfui. When is it the turn of the Shemps?

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Robviously posted:

I'd be down to post in a thread as long as we ban the word simp because nerds are loving wierd and awful but a special sort of terrible seems to dog pile on any Rent-A-Girlfriend conversation. But honestly :justpost:
An explicit goal of the thread will be to suck less than the subreddit

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

wuggles posted:

An explicit goal of the thread will be to suck less than the subreddit

Wow, don't aim too high :ohdear:

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Julias posted:

Whatever the video you just linked was, it's now private.

Also thread will be up later today.

drat that cums, im in the exclusive club

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Space Flower posted:

drat that cums, im in the exclusive club

It's actually back up now that you posted this lmao

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
they cut out the pre-airing of the actual episode and left the talk show up where the hosts talk about Yoshika's wives and bears in every port

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

ok I :justpost:'d https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3941901

e: oops I forgot to change the tag from "poo poo post"

wuggles fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 27, 2020

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's been fixed.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Julias posted:

Whatever the video you just linked was, it's now private.

Also thread will be up later today.

Sorry, I lied. I'll do my best to get it up tomorrow. Going to bed, today has exhausted me.

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?
Millionaire Detective was a pretty fun ride all up. Did meander a bit through the middle, but had a kicking soundtrack and the post credit scene of him going full batman was great.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Just caught the final episode of No Guns Life, does anyone know how far through the manga they've adapted? I'm curious as to if we might get more of it with the way things left off. If only for Cunningham to finally get some sort of brutal comeuppance, because he's well overdue :argh:.

Vahtooch posted:

Millionaire Detective was a pretty fun ride all up. Did meander a bit through the middle, but had a kicking soundtrack and the post credit scene of him going full batman was great.

Yeah, that was a fun finale :allears:.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the end of season post:

Great Pretender - fun escalating crime thriller with some of the best art direction and color design i've seen in a tv anime. easy AOTY pick unless there's something insane next season

Railgun s3 - Railgun is still one of my favorites. this was the best season so far.

Houkago Teibou Nisshi - not quite on the level of yurucamp as a girls doing hobby anime or tsuritama as a fishing anime but still a solid one. the best reactionface show of the season

Deca-Dence - the first five eps of this are very good and clever and then it felt like it kinda coasted the rest of the way and stopped taking as good advantage of its high concept twist. still a fun show but not the all-timer i thought it was gonna be during the first arc

Fruits Basket s2 - it's fine but i'm not as into it as i was when it started last year. wish it was a little more ambitious directing-wise, it looks nice but rarely stands out

pretty good haul for the covid-decimated season. i didn't even watch everything i was interested in yet, still have to check out Appare-Ranman and Oregairu s3 at the very least

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oregairu S3 was good. Probably due to the fact that it ended up covering the material for 3 volumes whereas all previous season just trailblazer'd 11 volumes between both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
oregairu s3 will probably be better experienced as a bingewatch since it's all one comprehensive (final) arc instead of tasks sprinkled about like the previous two seasons