Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Here are some additional Nemty facts. You aren't going to find these facts anywhere else on the Internet. It's possible that I've made some of them up.

• Nemty really likes oranges -- not the color, but the fruit.
  • Nemty also likes turquoise -- not the stone, but the color.
  • He does not like orange the color, nor turquoise the stone.
  • Some Deities can be characterized as sociable, or even chatty. Nemty is neither.
  • But he's a hard worker, who takes his job very seriously.
  • He likes finely woven cloth. It doesn't need to be fancy, or expensive; what matters is the craftsmanship.
  • He likes linen best.
  • He might like satin least.
  • He likes raw wood, and also woody scents: frankincense, palo santo, sandalwood.
  • He likes crows. There are no Egyptian Crow Gods, but I think if he did it again he might choose to be the first, and associate himself with crows rather than hawks.
  • He likes Astarte.
  • He does not like Set.
  • I don't know who he would play in Super Smash Brothers. I was going to say Sonic, because he's blue, and always on the move. But those gold rings might be a problem...

Halfway to a Dwarf Fortress description there.

Gods of conveyance and travel are always fun, the working gods, usually with a ton of quirks and miscellaneous domains, see Hermes.

Also he'd probably main Isabelle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

anty bravely helped ferry the kids across the yard with offerings of oatmeal cookie bits

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

https://twitter.com/forecaster25/status/1788910484231438842

between this and the total eclipse, the sun is just straight up showing off for the northeastern us specifically

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Yeah, the sun has been vibing powerfully lately.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Make sure you start/continue your sun worship all my sunworker friends out there :sun:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

photosynthesizers, we hear you

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Squizzle posted:

photosynthesizers, we hear you
Hell yeah. I physically see them lately too. There has been so much sun and rain around me that the plants are growing very rapidly. You love to see it.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Luckily it seems the sun is not only showing off to the northeast US!

https://twitter.com/ThePlanetaryGuy/status/1789073433952694531

And Australia Borealis too!

https://twitter.com/ezeferrero/status/1789074786066333765

https://twitter.com/kickthepj/status/1789072893441114555

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

https://twitter.com/robertmsterling/status/1789301776849531098

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

I fuckin love Lupin III

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
just read lolly willowes and it made me think of this thread. it's pretty good

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Eternal Darkness voice posted:

Xel'lotath pargon pargon pargon pargon narokath santak pargon
A useful spell for warding off bad posting, in yourself and among others.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

tristeham posted:

just read lolly willowes and it made me think of this thread. it's pretty good

My most recent fiction reading was "Middlegame" which was also pretty good. People are trying to achieve control over The-Powers-That-Be and The-Way-Things-Are, as they do; in this particular case by trying to get those cosmic powers to incarnate into human children. The Doctrine of Ethos is the most powerful and desirable power of reality, but due to its profundity putting the Ethos into children just kept breaking them; so it was split into two halves, Logos and Pathos, instead.

quote:

“The difficulty of the Doctrine is its size. When placed inside the mind, there’s no room for humanity. We believe that by splitting the Doctrine into its component parts—mathematics and language—we can create a gestalt of sorts. Two people who will embody the concepts we’re attempting to harness, but whose abilities will be limited enough when separated that they will remain pliable and easy to control.”

The two children created to house the Doctrine are kept apart but keep finding one another via deep psychic connection. One embodies pure language, and the other pure mathematics. It's on Kindle Unlimited if you have that service. I really liked it. There's a sequel too but I did not read that one, Middlegame had the feel of a novel inspired and the sequels to those really inspired books are never quite as good

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

"But mom," she persisted, "where do Gods come from?"
I paused.
"Gods have always been, sweetie," I said at last, and she scoffed.
"That's called begging the question."
"Yes," I agreed, resigned once again to the consequences of deep philosophical discussion with such a creature of rhetoric. "But it's still true."
She scowled in silence for a long time. I waited. "Okay," she said at last. "But where do specific Gods come from?"
I'd always known this would be coming. Somehow I still couldn't quite find the words. "Sometimes," I began, and then had to stop and clear my throat and start over. "Sometimes humans have hopes, and dreams, and needs, that they can't fulfill all by themselves. So they ask God for help."
"God," she said. The absence of an article adjective did not escape her, of course.
"Yes," I said. "We don't always -- differentiate, between the..." I hesitated again.
"The cosmic fabric of Divinity," she supplied helpfully, and I concealed my smile.
"Between that, and what is created from the fabric. We call them both God."
"Well, the fabric doesn't care what you call it," she told me. "But it seems confusing to call them both God."
"That's the fault of us humans, I guess," I said. She answered with another long silence. This time I was the one to break it.
"So then sometimes when we ask for help, God helps us by sending Gods. Fabric can be made into anything, but while it's still fabric it's not in the ideal form to do most of the things we might need from it. You can drape yourself with fabric, but it's better to do that when the fabric is made into a clothes-form. You can upholster furniture, but then the nature of the fabric merges with the nature of that which it's upholstering. You can use fabric for a blanket, but even then that means it's not just fabric anymore: it is a blanket. In every case it's still fabric too -- it's still God -- but it's also something different, that was made because we needed it, that was made to help us. Gods are those things made of fabric that have a sense of identity and purpose beyond pure, unlimited potential."
I could see the depths of her concentration on her small, perfect face. Thinking, hard, maybe harder than she ever had before. My heart ached with love. Abruptly she reached out a hand with a single outstretched finger, the others all curled back at rest in her palm; with her arm still extended she lowered the finger just slightly, like a pianist leveraging a single key of an instrument positioned a full arm's length away. She pressed her fingertip against that invisible key and as she drew her hand back a firefly came to life in the little pocket of air that had been empty just a moment before. Its fat yellow body flashed with confusion, a speck of biological fire visible even in the watery light of a late spring day. It hung there a moment and then it began to drift away from us, slowly first, then with increasing speed as it seemed to gather hold of itself, its surroundings, its sudden, overwhelming fact of existence. We watched it go.
"What did you ask for that God sent me, mom?"
I told her.
She reached out and pressed another invisible piano key. Another firefly appeared. Alit and pulsed with confusion. Oriented itself and then abruptly this one took off, too, in the direction the first firefly had taken. I could still see it in the distance, winking. It was so faint against the sunlight. Maybe it was my imagination.
"Okay," said my daughter. I looked back at her and she was looking at me, with an expression on her face I'd never seen before.
"Let's begin."

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

I dunno if this belongs here but I saw this today during a band promo for lord huron and it made me think of this thread

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

ex post facho posted:

I dunno if this belongs here but I saw this today during a band promo for lord huron and it made me think of this thread

Temporal prolapse

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

ex post facho posted:

it absolutely belongs here and i feel indebted to you for bringing it home to us

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Spending the day with friends at the beach? Don't forget to set up your shrine to Gregory, dead horseshoe crab / God of the Sea, to thank him for a beautiful day and all that you're enjoying!

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I have just seen some dolphins!!! Thank you Gregory :allears:

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
The shrine worked!!! :love: Thank you Gregory.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

hail gregory and the dolphins of gregory

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
are those votive clam shells or the offerings themselves

e: wait i think votive means the offering. what's the word for a statue or something in which offerings are place?

Sherbert Hoover has issued a correction as of 22:08 on Jun 1, 2024

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Altar? Offering table/plate? The middle clam shell is functioning as an offering plate by holding a number of smaller shells and pretty bits of detritus, the matched pair of clam shells are themselves also offerings. We were all happy to be at the beach together and it just sort of arose that every time someone went beach combing they gave one of the items they came back with to Gregory :lol:

he had quite a haul toward the end

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Now Bird! one might say. Is not the making of offerings to a dead horseshoe crab a clear case of idolatry? As a religious person (even if that religion is one of polytheistic nature) should you not be made deeply uncomfortable by the act of paying tribute to a God, or emissary of a God, whomst you and your companions have made up on the spot?

My beach reading today was Tillich's "Theology of Culture", and the chapter which pertains to the language of symbols feels apropos here.

quote:

Now we come to a third consideration -- namely, the nature of religious symbols. [...] In order to open up the seemingly closed door to the chaos of religious symbols, one simply has to ask, "What is the relationship to the ultimate which is symbolized in these symbols?" And then they cease to be meaningless; and they become, on the contrary, the most revealing creations of the human mind, the most genuine ones, the most powerful ones[...].

Religion, as everything in life, stands under the law of ambiguity, "ambiguity" meaning that it is creative and destructive at the same time. Religion has its holiness and its unholiness, and the reason for this is obvious from what has been said about religious symbolism. Religious symbols point symbolically to that which transcends all of them. But since, as symbols, they participate in that to which they point, they always have the tendency (in the human mind, of course) to replace that to which they are supposed to point, and to become ultimate in themselves. And in the moment in which they do this, they become idols. All idolatry is nothing else than the absolutizing of symbols of the Holy, and making them identical with the Holy itself.

Allow us to take Gregory quite seriously for a moment. Were our Gregory interactions idolatry? What relationship to the ultimate did Gregory symbolize today? Well, we and many other humans were enjoying a beach which is also the home and habitat of countless non-human lifeforms, including (previously) Gregory himself. We were grateful to be able to enjoy the beach and our time together there, knowing it is a place that does not belong to us but instead is a gift which we are fortunate to find ourselves enjoying. We expressed gratitude for that gift through offering our own symbolic gifts in return, being mindful of the once-natural environment around us, showing our appreciation of the shore's beauty and understanding that we, unlike the fish and crabs and gulls, are simply fortunate guests.

Is Gregory identical with the Holy, or even with a Deity? No; his divinity remained (and remains) symbolic, participating in our appreciation of a joyful day with friends at the beach, pointing in the direction of that which garnered gratitude. Gregory will not be receiving offerings on the regular, from any of us once we all find ourselves back at home (sorry Gregory). Gregory will not experience ultimacy. But today was a really nice day, and sometimes one discovers a need to express one's gratitude in ways more comprehensive than the two brief and forgettable syllables of "thank you." Sometimes one has just gotta give seashells to a sea crab.

And now thank you, for participating in this, my Greg talk.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Personally, I think idols are based

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I do think there's a difference between the word "idol", as used in reference to a statue or image used to represent a Deity or the Divine; and "idolatry", as used to indicate the act of elevating something that has no true relationship to the Divine into a position where it receives unconditional reverence and worship. I would agree with you that idols are pretty based. I would also agree with Tillich that idolatry is not.

However I would also, further, admit that I would likely need to engage in rigorous theological debate with Tillich before I could get him to agree polytheistic worship is not always automatically idolatrous, but in this particular book he seems to be taking a tack where "nationalism is the new polytheism", and he would probably consider my views on Divinity a sort of very confused monotheism in denial, so I think there would be room there for me to talk him round

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

u gotta give offerings to multiple deities because why would a goddess of sex and warfare care about or be able to help with ensuring i have a steady supply of horseshoe crabs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:hmmyes: :hmmyes: :hmmyes: