Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Needed like two whole episodes of mushroom girl doing war crimes though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Needed like two whole episodes of mushroom girl doing war crimes though.

There’s more than a few heroes in this series that would make pretty terrifying villains and Mushroom Girl is definitely near the top of the list.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Larryb posted:

There’s more than a few heroes in this series that would make pretty terrifying villains and Mushroom Girl is definitely near the top of the list.

Need like a What If? spinoff for MHA

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Nick Soapdish posted:

Need like a What If? spinoff for MHA

I still think this would be a fun idea for an AU movie

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I can't believe the last time we saw Spinner and Trumpet, they were about to square up, then the next episode just has Trumpet having bailed and Spinner left abandoned on the streets. Absolutely no respect given to my boy.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Fucker posted:

on the other hand, i like the fact that the leader is his son that never even met him. it adds this idea of u not even being sure of how much of re-destros ideology has anything to do with destro himself or with destros mother, despite how strongly he feels for it.

It's been a while, but I think given the timelines involved with Destro that Re-destro isn't Destro's son, he's just descended from Destro.

I know the MHA wiki said that it's a father/son relationship at one point, but I remember doing some research on that back when the chapters came out and it turned out that it was one of the many errors that crop up on anime wikis.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Rohan Kishibe posted:

It's been a while, but I think given the timelines involved with Destro that Re-destro isn't Destro's son, he's just descended from Destro.

I know the MHA wiki said that it's a father/son relationship at one point, but I remember doing some research on that back when the chapters came out and it turned out that it was one of the many errors that crop up on anime wikis.

would add up w/ the latest episode having a dialogue going "weve been hiding for generations" during the badass scene w/ the cool song. still, what i said applies anwyays

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Eh... this didn't feel very earned to me. I don't buy the MLA just bowing like that. But, whatever, I rather the story just move on.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
All that backstory just to say what they’ve been saying all along : Shigi is just a evil guy who likes doing evil things and that’s pretty much it

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tabletops posted:

All that backstory just to say what they’ve been saying all along : Shigi is just a evil guy who likes doing evil things and that’s pretty much it

Shiggy's an abused child who hates hero society because it abandoned him when he needed it the most, and who was groomed into more of a monster by All for One.

There's a lot more in play than just "likes doing evil things".

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Shiguraki is basically a poster child for intergenerational trauma weaponized against Heros

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Tabletops posted:

Nah, it basically lines up perfectly with what Shigaraki said way way back when he snagged Izuku at the mall. He was irritated at how much All Might smiled, "As if there was nobody he couldn't save". This gives a lot of context to that- nobody saved Shigaraki when he really needed it, even though there were many chances from beginning to "end" for it to happen.

There's also some missing bits and pieces- in the manga if you pay attention to Shigaraki's room, it starts to fill up with toys and a computer as All For One basically helps him extinguish what's left of his conscience. He was a wreck when those thugs beat him up in that alley yet he still resisted killing them because there was just a bit of Tenko left, and All For One goads him into snuffing the rest of it out. It's actually great how much it underscores what a manipulative piece of poo poo All For One is- he's pretty thinly characterized but overall you get this picture of a guy who needs to be in control at all times and is unbelievably gratified by rubbing salt in the wounds. He does this with All Might too with how he taunts him while also fully expecting and preparing for All Might to pull out the Shonen Battle Manga hero poo poo where they squeeze out every last drop of gas in the tank.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Say what you will about All for One, but he always seems to be having a good time even when he loses.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
He literally has PTSD nightmares of his first battle with All Might, that doesn't sound like he had fun :V

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Yeah but it’s the way he says it

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

he comes across to me as a person who became so powerful the whole world was just a sandbox for him to play in, and all might was the first time someone strong enough to challenge him came and shoved him over his criminal sand castle. he's scared of all might and doesn't like what happened, but to him ultimately all might still exists in this world that's always been all for one's toy, he's still playing.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
All For One is the kid with a bunch of action figures just making stuff happen that sounds cool.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

chiasaur11 posted:

Shiggy's an abused child who hates hero society because it abandoned him when he needed it the most, and who was groomed into more of a monster by All for One.

There's a lot more in play than just "likes doing evil things".

Dude said himself that he enjoyed killing his family

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Tabletops posted:

Dude said himself that he enjoyed killing his family

but did he really, or was he groomed to change his memories about it?

sure looked like he was reaching out for help at the time, and absolutely horrified by what happened

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Subtext is for cowards imo

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
He absolutely wanted to murder his daddy, but the rest of the family was lashing out uncontrollably though not with bloodlust

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Tenko held deep hatred in his heart for the dog.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Quirk: White Guy

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Mimesweeper posted:

but did he really, or was he groomed to change his memories about it?

sure looked like he was reaching out for help at the time, and absolutely horrified by what happened

i mean i guess that's not really knowable given that it was shown as a memory, dude was standing on his chunky dad surrounded by his bloody chunked family and dog and grinning and saying he loved murder

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Sep 21, 2021

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Memory is, of course, noted for being utterly infallible.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Shigaraki loves murder and thinks it was really sick he murdered his entire family while screaming for help and crying the entire time.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

ya its not totally a coping mechanism for killing his entire family

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Tabletops posted:

i mean i guess that's not really knowable given that it was shown as a memory, dude was standing on his chunky dad surrounded by his bloody chunked family and dog and grinning and saying he loved murder

Maybe you could excersize some reading of facial expressions and contextual clues from what people are saying around the character it concerns.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Shigaraki loves murder and thinks it was really sick he murdered his entire family while screaming for help and crying the entire time.
He's going to be defeated by Midoriya, broken and on the verge of death, giving him a hug.

The itchiness stops and he turns his power in on himself.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
All for One states that his dream was being a demon king like in the manga he read as a kid.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Look all I'm saying is that missing out on this is grounds for summary execution in some countries:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/RandomIdiotWith/status/1440106562534707202

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

You know, I'm not saying that Nedzu has a self-destruct button in all his inators, but I am saying that he definitely has some inators.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

"Turning stress into muscles/armor/magic fireballs" is a useful quirk for a kid who has all that expectation thrust upon him. It'd be funny if like, some super casual surfer dude, had that quirk. "Oh, me? I'm quirkless, bro! Great waves today!"

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Sankara posted:

"Turning stress into muscles/armor/magic fireballs" is a useful quirk for a kid who has all that expectation thrust upon him. It'd be funny if like, some super casual surfer dude, had that quirk. "Oh, me? I'm quirkless, bro! Great waves today!"

Up until he has to win the surf championship to save the local combination animal shelter/orphanage/rec center from greedy land developers.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Well he also did make some pseudosciencey link between a quirk influencing one's personality so in this world having a stress quirk predisposes you towards it etc

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Eej posted:

Well he also did make some pseudosciencey link between a quirk influencing one's personality so in this world having a stress quirk predisposes you towards it etc

That's bordering on One Punch Man territory of 'I ate a lot of crab meat so I became a CrabMan' monster.

Twice and Toga are loving awesome.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Eej posted:

Why else do you think Bakugo has such an explosive personality! :science:

(also being angry all the time means he's always sweaty)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

MonsterEnvy posted:

All for One states that his dream was being a demon king like in the manga he read as a kid.

All for One just spent his whole life LARPing as Frieza. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

It’s kinda funny to think if AFO was capable of reading to the end of a story, none of this would have ever happened.