Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Might be waiting a while for that.

GoatSeeGuy posted:

I don't think Shodai is looking to change his shikona anytime soon.

Yeah I still think Asanoyama is the best bet at the moment and we all know how that's going.

Kenning posted:

He's definitely confident, I'm not disputing that. I also suspect he was studying tape and thinking about what Hakuho was likely to use against him. If you're psyching yourself up for a whole tournament to face Hakuho and on day 14 he does something he's never done before I feel like it would at least plant some doubt. The thing is, whether or not his weird tachi-ai rattled Terunofuji, Hakuho created the possibility that it could do so, which is in line with what my basic argument is about him being a perfect athlete. He never stops trying to create an advantage.

I suppose if you are looking at tape of Hakuho you'll understand quickly that he always looks to gain an advantage no matter how small and they had fought before. But like I say while I'm not totally convinced the Shodai tachi-ai rattled him I'm not dismissing that it could have done, his reaction to it is pretty good. just being opposite someone like Hakuho must have an effect on you he's that great as you have said.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

I love your analysis. Just saying.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
I was going to say Endo was the Great Big Hope for a Japanese yokozuna, but looking it up, his makuuchi debut was almost 8 years ago and that hope died with whatever part of his body he injured and wasn't allowed to properly recover from. I don't know anything about what the general opinion is, or if there even is a new contender for Next Big Japanese Yokozuna hope. Oho maybe? Mostly for being still young and Taiho's grandson, even though he spend a lot of time in the makushita doldrums to really be considered a hot riser, though he seems to be doing pretty decent now he's back in juryo.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Just Winging It posted:

I was going to say Endo was the Great Big Hope for a Japanese yokozuna, but looking it up, his makuuchi debut was almost 8 years ago and that hope died with whatever part of his body he injured and wasn't allowed to properly recover from. I don't know anything about what the general opinion is, or if there even is a new contender for Next Big Japanese Yokozuna hope. Oho maybe? Mostly for being still young and Taiho's grandson, even though he spend a lot of time in the makushita doldrums to really be considered a hot riser, though he seems to be doing pretty decent now he's back in juryo.

Endo had a knee injury in 2015, ACL-related IIRC. That and Oosunaarashi's own knee injury in 2016 deprived us of a potential rivalry in the top ranks that I was hoping could have been a 'lite' version of the one Akebono and Takanohana had.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

The next Great Big Hope might be Hokuseiho, but we'll have to see how he handles Juryo. At the very least by the time he ever faces Asanoyama he'll probably have plenty of Makuuchi experience.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Everyone ITT counting out Yokozuna Tokushoryu

:sad:

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

rare Magic card l00k posted:

The next Great Big Hope might be Hokuseiho, but we'll have to see how he handles Juryo. At the very least by the time he ever faces Asanoyama he'll probably have plenty of Makuuchi experience.

I don’t think Hakuho Jr is going to comfort the hurt feelings of the YDC.

Hokuseiho isn’t likely to pull an Oki, but he has mostly gotten by on being a mountain compared to the kids he was up against. He’s like the anti-Hoshoryu, he had all the technique in the world but needed to add size and strength. Hokuseiho needs to work on his tachiai and belt work and that will determine how quickly he moves up the Juryo ladder. Luckily he’s got a pretty good teacher.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Oho.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

asanoyama seems healthy and will be returning to competition at basically the same age terunofuji did. if he can use this layoff constructively think he might have the best sho of pulling it off.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Ice Phisherman posted:

I love your analysis. Just saying.

Thanks bud! I think about sumo a lot.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Kotonowaka is my favourite for next yoko. He's so young and has all the potential in the world. Not sure if he's Japanese or whatever but I'll be watching his career with interest.

Also, I agree with all of what kenning said and I honestly believe the shodai tachiai was for teru.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

+1 for Kotonowaka as a really good prospect, he's only 23 and is likely to get to into the joi next basho. If he keeps doing the sort of sumo he was doing this basho he's got a bright future ahead of him.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Are there any yokozunas who have broken through from obscurity in recent times? The Okinoumis of the division suddenly putting it all together.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I think it is worth repeating that Hakuho is loving rad

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Neodoomium posted:

For sure. I'd love to learn more about the guy. Does anyone know if any of the books on the subject of him are available in English? I googled but couldn't find anything.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Neodoomium posted:

article posted:

“I would like to praise myself,” the yokozuna said.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Counterpoint: Kotonowaka’s face looks like a literal baby and I can’t have a Baby Yokozuna no matter how much Dreamworks wants to animate it.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Fucks me up when I think that kotonowaka is a young guy with potential when Hakuho was a yokozuna a year younger than kotonowaka is now.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Takakeisho is getting really underrated. He might have injury issues and not look the best stylistically or aesthetically, but when healthy there isn’t much room between him and Teru. He’s been alive in the yusho hunt on the final day in his last 4 healthy tourneys, had 12-3/13-2 run with a yusho and jun-yusho which is just one win off of what Teru just did and he’s got a winning head to head record against Teru.

Marching Powder posted:

Kotonowaka is my favourite for next yoko. He's so young and has all the potential in the world. Not sure if he's Japanese or whatever but I'll be watching his career with interest.

Kotonowaka will be a golden boy if he makes it. Dude’s a third generation wrestler who’s dad was a Sekiwake and grandfather was a Yokozuna. And his dad/gramps aren’t just great wrestlers, but they’re also the current and former stablemaster of the Sadogatake stable which is one of the big ones (all of the Koto* guys are part of the stable). So out of everyone active including Hak, he’s got the easiest path to being a big shot elder/stablemaster if he wants it since all he has to do is stay active long enough make the minimum amount of tourneys needed to qualify.

He’s also just a year younger than Takakeisho who was already Ozeki at the same age.

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

I stumbled across this short video with Hakuho a couple of years ago, and while the auto-translate is kinda bad, I definitely found it interesting to see him in a more casual mode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM6mJ0Vhj9g

I think that you can get the idea of what they're talking about even if somethings turn into hilarious computer generated gobbledegook.

e: lol I just watched it again and the auto-translate makes me feel like I'm having a stroke sometimes...

captainblastum fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 22, 2021

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

pseudodragon posted:

Takakeisho is getting really underrated. He might have injury issues and not look the best stylistically or aesthetically, but when healthy there isn’t much room between him and Teru. He’s been alive in the yusho hunt on the final day in his last 4 healthy tourneys, had 12-3/13-2 run with a yusho and jun-yusho which is just one win off of what Teru just did and he’s got a winning head to head record against Teru.

My big issue with Takakeisho isn't his skill or ability, it's that I don't trust that he'll remain healthy enough to maintain ozeki level sumo for much longer. When he's good he's great, but he's gone kyujo in three bashos out of the last seven, and this last injury should almost certainly keep him out of September if it's really a herniated c-spine. It's probably not actually going to stop him from competing, but it probably should.

He's already injury prone and I think that's just going to get worse as he ages, because the older he gets the worse he's going to get at compensating for the effects of his weight on his overall health.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Interestingly, I saw a translated interview with Takakeisho wherein he said that he has to work to keep the weight on, like constantly eating kinda thing. To the point it's a chore.

I wish I could remember where I saw it...

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Takakeisho seems to still be unsure what his best weight is as well, after his Yusho in November he added around 10kg and seemed to go over the tipping point in January where his tachiai was slow and he was more prone than usual to those lateral moves.

I'd agree that his current brand of sumo doesn't look to be the most sustainable, but it's a real joy watching him just straight blast people when he's on form, I'll be praying for his neck like I did for Teru's knees.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

question for those who were following sumo during terunofuji's first ozeki stint prior to his injury : did you see him as a probable future yokuzuna then? his record doesn't look particularly impressive outside of his consectutve jun-yushos in 2017 and the tachiai guys always say that his sumo has taken a considerable tactical leap forward to compensate for his limitations? obv it's good for both him and the sport as a whole he didn't get promoted then otherwise he'd have almost certainly been forced to retire.

edit: good points on takakeisho. i suppose i'm prob guilty of underrating him as my personal irrational purist bias is having trouble seeing a pure oshi-sumo guy with questionable stamina as a yokuzuna as opposed to a solid ozeki. if he can improve on the second part tho he def can assuming he recovers from his current injury.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 22, 2021

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Thauros posted:

question for those who were following sumo during terunofuji's first ozeki stint prior to his injury : did you see him as a probable future yokuzuna then? his record doesn't look particularly impressive outside of his consectutve jun-yushos in 2017 and the tachiai guys always say that his sumo has taken a considerable tactical leap forward to compensate for his limitations? obv it's good for both him and the sport as a whole he didn't get promoted then otherwise he'd have almost certainly been forced to retire.

edit: good points on takakeisho. i suppose i'm prob guilty of underrating him as my personal irrational purist bias is having trouble seeing a pure oshi-sumo guy with questionable stamina as a yokuzuna as opposed to a solid ozeki. if he can improve on the second part tho he def can assuming he recovers from his current injury.

I don't remember him seeming that notable to me at the time. I mostly remembered him as the jerk who henkaed Kotoshogiku and then the guy Kisenosato needed to beat twice while injured for his yokozuna yusho.

Terunofuji now probably is better in general but he also stands out more from not having 4 great to Hakuho yokozunas above him and weaker ozekis.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Thauros posted:

I do not think he would be a good yokozuna, because he's pure oshi and gasses out if the fight goes past 7 seconds, but I think he's probably capable of stringing together the requisite two wins or equivalent if he stays healthy and if Terunofuji and Hakuho don't spoil it for him.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Takamasaki, intai 2020/07.

Takatenshu, intai 2020/01.

Takanofuji, intai 2019/11.

Takagenji, intai next basho.

Takanoiwa, intai 2019/01

That leaves 3 Takanohana guys still fighting:

26 year old Takataisho, has been in Sumo for 10 years and still climbing through Sandanme, we probably won't ever see him in the salaried ranks.

25 year old Takakento, made his Juryo debut 3 basho ago, did okay on his debut and quite well in the next basho, but had quite a poor showing most recently, so he'll likely find himself back down near the bottom of Juryo.

And of course 24 year old Takakeisho who we all know, who's spine may or may not allow him to continue fighting at a high level (or at all).

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

https://tachiai.org/2021/07/22/juryo-promotions-announced-2/

"The Kyokai Promotion Party keeps going as the Sumo Kyokai released the list of wrestlers promoted to Juryo. There was some speculation that there may be as many as four but as it turns out, three wrestlers were promoted to Juryo, led by yusho winner Hokuseiho. Joining Hokuseiho as shin-Juryo will be Murata from Takasago beya. With the promotion, he’s changing to a “proper” shikona, Asashiyu. Churanoumi will be returning to Juryo after one tournament in Makushita. He had been sekitori since January of last year, climbing as high as Juryo 3 before injury and two poor showings dropped him out of the division. The banzuke for September is now known to the Kyokai insiders but we are left to guess who got lucky and who got the shaft."

presumably kotokuzan (4-11 from j13), ryuden (kyujo from j9 due to suspension), and akiseyama (kyujo from j7 due to injury) are the 3 demotions

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Really excited to see hokuseiho with the big boys. I'm fully prepared to see him hit a massive wall and reach nothing close to the talks of 'the next hakuho' but I'm sure excited for the guy.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Brut posted:

26 year old Takataisho, has been in Sumo for 10 years and still climbing through Sandanme, we probably won't ever see him in the salaried ranks.

That's not great, but I've found Hatachijo. 36 years old and highest rank Sandanme 66. He's currently Jonidan 29 and went 3-4 in July.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

bessantj posted:

That's not great, but I've found Hatachijo. 36 years old and highest rank Sandanme 66. He's currently Jonidan 29 and went 3-4 in July.

Sure but that guy is in a heya you've never heard of, most of the banzuke is folks hovering in whatever division with back and forth 3-4 and 4-3 scores, so it's not that unusual, but the guys I linked are the last former disciples of Takanohana, the last Japanese dai-yokozuna.

That being said, Takataisho was at a career high rank (sd51) only 3 basho ago, so he's still got a couple years to suddenly improve a lot and keep climbing, it just doesn't seem very likely.

Hmm...I wonder if I can build some sumodb queries around, not sure how to go about it.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

No Hakuho in the opening ceremony? What the heck

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

net work error posted:

No Hakuho in the opening ceremony? What the heck

He wasn't there at all?

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
Four hours, and not a trace of sumo. Could've easily replaced the kabuki section with a sumo shout-out. At least there was surprise Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, and Hiromi Uehara music. But still, what a letdown.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

After all that delaying of retirement and the special outfits? Bullshit

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

With covid flaring up they trimmed out a lot from the ceremony and maybe that got cut. Maybe they'll have something for the closing ceremony though.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Yeah maybe they'll send Hak out there with a bow to twirl in the closing ceremonies. I'm sure that'll make all the bullshit he went through worth it to him.

Also being kicked out of sumo for weed is loving dumb but I actively disliked Takagenji and won't be sorry to see his brand of "I'm going to get increasingly violent and uncaring about whether I hurt you until I win" sumo gone. Still, would've been nice if he'd been kicked out for something that mattered.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Thauros posted:

I started following in January 2015 and I'd say yes, he was looking incredibly promising. I agree that the numbers don't look fantastic, but if you go look at the matches he's losing, especially to the big guns, he's mostly not getting blown away. He's making them work for their wins.

His Hakuho fight in Hatsu 2015 is pretty good - he gets overhooks on Hak prime and slows him right down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDtzxTi75-U&t=758s

Hak obviously figures whats going on and breaks his centre of gravity, but T-Fu holds it for a bit.

There's some silly losses - it takes him a bit to get Toyonoshima's number - but you can see him figuring stuff out.

I'd say that he depended a bit much on the kimidashi over hooks and muscling down on his opponent - you can see that he's kind of trying to lean on them - but I definitely remember thinking he was a good chance for the rope eventually.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

bartolimu posted:

Yeah maybe they'll send Hak out there with a bow to twirl in the closing ceremonies. I'm sure that'll make all the bullshit he went through worth it to him.

Also being kicked out of sumo for weed is loving dumb but I actively disliked Takagenji and won't be sorry to see his brand of "I'm going to get increasingly violent and uncaring about whether I hurt you until I win" sumo gone. Still, would've been nice if he'd been kicked out for something that mattered.

It matters to the grumpy old men and potentially to the populace as a whole. Weeds normalised throughout the west at this point, but MMA people are constantly in hot water about it despite legality in california for example. So its not surprising to me atleast that they would bring the hammer down, particularly if his sumo was despised and therefore not really someone you want to potentially become a yokozuna. Potentially is doing a lot of work in that sentence but you know what I mean.

Elissimpark posted:

Hak obviously figures whats going on and breaks his centre of gravity, but T-Fu holds it for a bit.

There's some silly losses - it takes him a bit to get Toyonoshima's number - but you can see him figuring stuff out.

I'd say that he depended a bit much on the kimidashi over hooks and muscling down on his opponent - you can see that he's kind of trying to lean on them - but I definitely remember thinking he was a good chance for the rope eventually.

The majesty of Haks hips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Southpaugh posted:

The majesty of Haks hips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU1LB4StySo&t=119s

I'm going to miss that hip waggle once he's gone, such a great subtlety. I wonder if you could feel him do it as his opponent and whether you'd be like "ah gently caress, here it comes".