Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
My 10 month old dumbshit flips the gently caress out around our cats. I don't think it's hostile. He jumps around like he wants to play. He also whines and barks.

Of course, the one cat who interests him the most is also the biggest dick to him, loving up against us the more the dog flips out.

We've tried treats and praise when he's calm. We've tried keeping him on his leash around them, but it seems to be getting worse and not better. What do I do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Agent355 posted:

Speaking of crates.

My pup is super wary of hers, she will go in there if I put down some tasty treats but she's clearly uncomfortable and comes out as quick as she can. Also she'll refuse to go in at all if the treats/toys aren't of sufficient quality.

Is there anything else I can do to make her more comfortable aside from simply continuing to give her treats and praise and just waiting for her to acclimate?

Other things you can try are trapping really good chews or treats in the crate with the door shut so she has to ask to go into the crate to get them and also wiring goodies to the inside of the crate so if she wants them she has to eat them inside, even if the door is open. You can also toss treats in there when she isn't paying attention so any time she chooses to check out the crate there are surprise treats inside.

Image stole from a dog trainer I know because I'm lazy and haven't bought wire to try yet. The kong has a washer in it to hold the wire in.

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

My 10 month old dumbshit flips the gently caress out around our cats. I don't think it's hostile. He jumps around like he wants to play. He also whines and barks.

Of course, the one cat who interests him the most is also the biggest dick to him, loving up against us the more the dog flips out.

We've tried treats and praise when he's calm. We've tried keeping him on his leash around them, but it seems to be getting worse and not better. What do I do?

Try not just waiting for him to be calm with treats and praise, any time there's a cat anywhere near him shove his face full of something better than cat. If it were me I'd have cans of spray cheese all around the house because the licking can create more calmness than excitedly wolfing down treats and can save your fingats if he gets sharky when excited. Use whatever your dog likes best though. You want to get it to where when your bud sees a cat he immediately looks to you because cat=cheez. A leash is a good idea for protecting kitties but unless you are rewarding while he's on a leash it can build frustration which is probably why it is getting worse.

You can also work on the "Look At That" game and reward the dog for looking at the cat and then looking away. This might reduce some of his fixation as he builds a history of glancing and looking away. My dog will pretend to look at stuff he used to go nuts about at this point because he knows looking at it gets him cookies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdraNF2hcgA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUkVsP4PsFA

breadnsucc
Jun 1, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Perhaps it is unusual for so many words to be written, political theory instead of a memorial narrative, for a message honoring a martyr of the revolution. I kept comrade Michael Forest Reinoehl firmly in my mind with every word I wrote down in this text. This text is not an act of revenge. I still haven’t paid a penny of my debt. I have only determined it. Our revenge will go all the way.

Honor and revenge for the antifascist martyr Michael Forest Reinoehl

Honor and revenge for antifascist martyr Anthony Huber

Honor and revenge for all the martyrs of the Black Revolt

Honor and revenge for antifascist martyr Willem Van Sporsen

“I’m not standing by. I really shouldn’t have to say any more than this. I set aside my broken heart and I heal the only way I know how—by being useful.”

REVENGE for centuries of slavery, for all the generations that didn’t make it to liberation. REVENGE so that the life that is coming can breath

breadnsucc fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 21, 2021

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

breadnsucc posted:

can anyone recommend some breeds of dog that don't get much bigger than 30 pounds that are short hair and cuddle buddies, like a beagle would be perfect in terms of size, coat length, but my understanding is they are super loving high energy so basically I'm looking for a low energy beagle

Ooh ooh I can help! You want a Bolognese! Maybe a Chihuahua!

We found an awesome shelter pup that's red and 9 pounds and loves to cuddle. Plenty of mudblood doggos are cuddlebugs too :) And because she doesn't have royalty ancestry papers, she only set us back :20bux:.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

breadnsucc posted:

can anyone recommend some breeds of dog that don't get much bigger than 30 pounds that are short hair and cuddle buddies, like a beagle would be perfect in terms of size, coat length, but my understanding is they are super loving high energy so basically I'm looking for a low energy beagle

Italian greyhound or whippet? Iggies are notorious snugglers. Whippets are less likely to break their legs though. Sighthounds tend to look super athletic but are happy to chill.

If you found an older (2 year+) beagle they could be a good fit. At least in my rural area rescues are packed with beagles/beagle crosses that would be happy to snooze on a couch all day.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

After a week and a half Ellie has found the dog bed I bought for her.

Also pictured: the terrifying dog-eating crate monster.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Another unsolicited corgi pic:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

breadnsucc posted:

Bassett maybe?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Small bassets are 50lbs. You could get a basset beagle, aka a bagel.

French bulldog if the 30lb is a hard limit.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Someone left a scruff pile in my house.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

breadnsucc posted:

My 25lb short haired snuggle buddy is some sort of whippet-y terrier mix. She's kind of a disaster though.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
N'thing whippets/whippet mixes. My whippet/red heeler/dingo mix is super laid back/loves to cuddle and about 15 kilos.

TammyHEH fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 30, 2021

radlum
May 13, 2013
We recently got a roomba and I thought it would be funny to see my dog angry at it...instead it's just hearbreaking to see her really afraid of it; she crawls under the table or desk and looks scared of the thing. Any suggestions on how to make them get along?

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

fuzzy_logic fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 4, 2023

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

radlum posted:

We recently got a roomba and I thought it would be funny to see my dog angry at it...instead it's just hearbreaking to see her really afraid of it; she crawls under the table or desk and looks scared of the thing. Any suggestions on how to make them get along?

Leave it out when it’s off, maybe?

Regardless of whether she likes it, give her a safe space away from it so she can hang out with you. Apollo dislikes our roomba and either rests on our bed or with me at my desk while it’s going.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Hey everyone, meet Gobi.

he’s been great so far. Brought him home yesterday, he went pee and poop outside immediately after I took him outside. He went to sleep at about 11pm, woke me up around 7:30 and I took him out again, peed and pooped immediately. Had one accident in the house, but it was my fault because it had been about 3 hours and I jumped in the shower real quick before I was going to take him out. But he went in the kitchen, which is stone tile and a room he hadn’t been in before, so he already knows that the hardwood/carpeted areas are “his” home. hopefully once he learns that everything in my apartment is home he’ll get better.

He’s not too loud, but he’s real dramatic when I leave him in the playpen for a while. Overall 11/10 a perfect angel.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Oh my goodness he's too cute :swoon:

Once you get into a routine I find potty training goes pretty quickly. My puppy went through a phase of peeing on green surfaces in my home but once we established that location, not color, was the factor to pay attention to when picking a pee spot that was pretty much it for accidents.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

He’s been peeing in my front yard, but going #2 in the neighbors. I was standing there at 8AM watching him go, and she walked out onto her balcony and I was like “Morning!...I’ll pick this up”

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

He’s been peeing in my front yard, but going #2 in the neighbors. I was standing there at 8AM watching him go, and she walked out onto her balcony and I was like “Morning!...I’ll pick this up”

Our pup almost never poops in our backyard but has 2 or 3 different neighbors' yards where she loves to crap. The upside is that when we let her out back we don't have to worry about stepping on any land mines.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Been working on (and getting frustrated by) pulling on walks.

I've been watching some videos but they all seem to have dogs that are at least somewhat paying attention to their owners on walks.

Ellie completely forgets about my existance when we're walking and instead just wants to smell everything all the time. She will respond to 'wait' and 'come here' with some amount of regularity though I often have to repeat myself or wait for her to stop being distracted.

How am I supposed to train the dog when literally everything is so exciting that I don't have much of her attention?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Agent355 posted:

Been working on (and getting frustrated by) pulling on walks.

I've been watching some videos but they all seem to have dogs that are at least somewhat paying attention to their owners on walks.

Ellie completely forgets about my existance when we're walking and instead just wants to smell everything all the time. She will respond to 'wait' and 'come here' with some amount of regularity though I often have to repeat myself or wait for her to stop being distracted.

How am I supposed to train the dog when literally everything is so exciting that I don't have much of her attention?

Everything I've read/watched says to work on a "look at me" type command to get their attention in any environment. Train it with super-good treats -- this is one where kibble won't work with many dogs -- and have those available on walks.

But my dog (who we've had for a month now) is the same way -- he's an angel on a leash in the backyard, but as soon as we get in the side or front yard, it's as if I don't exist. Not even hovering his favorite treat right in front of his nose will get him to ignore The Entire World, so we still have some work to do.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Yeah, it's hard to blame her. She's just a puppy and it's the entire everything to be distracted by, but it does make it tough to get her to behave. She's constantly distracted by every little smell or sight. It can even overstimulate her until she's very anxious and starts responding poorly to everything and is tucking her tail down in fear.

I've been working on 'look at me' at home off leash, I might try using a leash in the apartment with some commands so that she understands she is supposed to listen even with the leash on, idk. It's at least some sort of middle ground.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Start in the most boring place and work your way up. It may take a few sessions of standing around for 5 minutes right outside your door waiting for a single glance. The more you lay that foundation the more they are going to offer checking in out in public. You can also start with the tiniest amount of attention, an ear flick or a release of leash pressure, before marking, offering a reward and then releasing the dog to go sniff some more (I'll tell my dogs Ok! Go sniff!).

I just took a class that focused on getting your dog to check in and seriously we all had to stand around on video chat for 5 minutes + waiting for the dog to remember we existed the first few times we took it outside the house. Now I try to warm up with some check ins in the parking lot before hikes and she's still not very good at checking in before we're halfway through. Really good treats help but it's just going to take time and practice.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

I have the opposite problem re: walks. Any tips appreciated here- I adopted Charlie a little over a year ago, he was a rescue and he definitely experienced trauma of some kind as he is reactive and has anxious attachment issues. All that said, though, he is absolutely the best. I love him.

My partner and I moved into a new apartment right before COVID started. His attachment issues were diminishing before this and he could handle being alone while I was at work, but obviously quarantine has not helped in terms of getting over his anxious attachment. We are able to leave for trips to the grocery store, etc but not for prolonged periods.

Now his attachment has taken on a new wrinkle- he will not go on walks with me, only my partner, and he also tends to follow her around the house. We had a very firm routine where I would take him on his morning walks but he will refuse to walk the instant we get outside. I would have to drag him down the sidewalk. I think weather partially plays into this, as the snow is unpleasant and a little confusing for him. But it even happens indoors- if she is in another room, he will sit by that door. Prior to adoption, the agency said he had a preference for women, but I definitely used to be his favorite. Now, I don't take this personally, as he is a dog and we are responsible for him. My partner will admit that she gives in to his puppy eyes a lot more than I do, although I am quite affectionate with him as well. 

My question is how we can address this. I have taken to giving him more treats and carving out extra snuggle time, but we feel somewhat constrained given the COVID situation. Our current thinking is for her to leave the apartment for longer periods of time, for me to give him treats when he comes outside with me, and remaining firm with routines and expectations. I know that's about all we can do, but any insights into this appreciated. 

I really want to be able to walk him, and this situation also makes me worried for when COVID ends (if that ever happens) and we are possibly, suddenly, leaving the apartment to go to work. I don't want that to be an awful adjustment for him, and for our neighbors to hear his howls.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Start in the most boring place and work your way up. It may take a few sessions of standing around for 5 minutes right outside your door waiting for a single glance. The more you lay that foundation the more they are going to offer checking in out in public. You can also start with the tiniest amount of attention, an ear flick or a release of leash pressure, before marking, offering a reward and then releasing the dog to go sniff some more (I'll tell my dogs Ok! Go sniff!).

I just took a class that focused on getting your dog to check in and seriously we all had to stand around on video chat for 5 minutes + waiting for the dog to remember we existed the first few times we took it outside the house. Now I try to warm up with some check ins in the parking lot before hikes and she's still not very good at checking in before we're halfway through. Really good treats help but it's just going to take time and practice.

I'll do this too, thanks.

It's so frustrating getting such great results in the apartment but just a completely independant dog outside. I'm really happy she does 'wait' and 'come' even if 'come' is often on a very delayed reaction (she's good about wait generally), but man once anything has her attention it's fighting an uphill battle.

She just exists on such a high alert level at all times it seems like.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Hey everyone, meet Gobi.

dang, that's a qt

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

So I've never had a dog before so let me throw this out there, because I don't know the answer myself.

What happens if I have to take a dog to a hotel? Or to my parents or a friend's house for a night? Will she be calm and cool because I'm there with her or will she be an anxious wreck with potty issues?

There is a snow-ban in my city today, which is always a big pain to deal with, just the worst. The easy solution for me is to drive 15 minutes to my parents and stay in the guest bedroom and come back in the morning after the snow-ban is lifted.

But now with Ellie I really don't know if that's even a reasonable option? If I bring her with me and keep her in the bedroom for an evening and come back in the morning am I likely to run into massive problems? Or just normal handleable problems?

I know it probably varies by dog and it's impossible to predict, but how have other people experienced that sort of thing?

Worst case scenario it becomes clear it's not going to work and I drive back I guess.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Potential evacuations were what made me decide to get a folding crate for my first dog. I haven't had to evacuate with her but I did take her out of state to visit family and bought her crate. She was a little nervous, probably didn't help I only adopted her about a month prior. She was fine in her crate though.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I just drove my puppy 15 hours, stayed for 5 nights, then drove 15 hours back to help a relative that had surgery. They have other pets in the house and my puppy is a wrecking ball so she was on leash with a chew or in a crate the whole time and I made sure she got good exercise here and there to wear her out but otherwise she was totally fine. Most well-adjusted dogs are ok traveling with their person, although I think having a familiar crate helps a lot and keeps them out of trouble in a new place.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

So it’s only been a few days, but Gobi is doing pretty well in his crate at night. Once he falls asleep somewhere I put him in it, but I’ve had to keep it right near my mattress. Last night he fell asleep on my bed and I moved him over. He whined for a second but slept all night. When I woke up I went to let him out and the cage door wasn’t even locked, but he stayed in there all night (I think!)

He’s way worse during the day. I may have to return to work in a few months and I want him to be okay at home, but he hates the crate during the day. I know he’s tired, and he’ll sleep fine on the couch beside me, but if I try and out him inside the playpen with his kennel he just screams. I have a big empty room I think I’ll have him stay in during the days when I’m at work, but I want him to realize the kennel is his room anytime.

He’s also been getting real bitey, grabbing at my clothes and gnawing on my table legs, but I’ve usually been able to redirect him with toys.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Our pup took a full month of being a pain in the rear end with the crate during the day and then one day either something clicked in her brain or we finally broke her spirit and she's been pretty much fine hanging out in her crate during the daytime since. She has her fits and starts of being frustrated when she's initially put in in the morning, but she's good for about 4 hours a session and just snoozes or chews on her bone while she's in there. Give it time and patience and you'll hopefully make progress.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Ellie is at my parents while the snow storm blows outside, she's been good, didn't growl or bark at either of my parents. Will accept pats from my mom, got a little possessive of a toy when mom tried to pick it up but thats about the worst of it.

Of course she will NOT STOP MOVING becuase she's a dumb puppy but I'm all out of energy and really just wish she'd go to sleep, but that sounds a whole lot like my apartment anyway.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I just took Gobi to the vet to get his next round of vaccines, and since we got home he is lethargic, won’t eat, and has been screaming when I pick him up. He moved a bit and started screaming again.

I don’t know if he’s in real pain, or being a baby, or mad at me?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I just took Gobi to the vet to get his next round of vaccines, and since we got home he is lethargic, won’t eat, and has been screaming when I pick him up. He moved a bit and started screaming again.

I don’t know if he’s in real pain, or being a baby, or mad at me?

I would call the vet.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I did, she said he might just be uncomfortable and could maybe use an antihistamine. She said I could just watch him though, and that if he keeps it up to bring him in.

Current mood is “pretending I don’t exist”

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I did, she said he might just be uncomfortable and could maybe use an antihistamine. She said I could just watch him though, and that if he keeps it up to bring him in.

Current mood is “pretending I don’t exist”

Okay phew, that's adorable and I hope it passes soon.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I think he may just be having a fever reaction to the vaccine he got. His nose is warm and he won’t even move. He’s obviously dead tired but just refuses to actually lay down.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
I gamed dogecoin and used what I made to buy my dog a big barker bed.

I'm so excited for him!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

cruft posted:

• Can it be normal for a tiny 8-month-old dog to be lethargic?
  • Could this lazy dog just be a fussy eater / jerk, and we don't need to worry about her refusing meals?

It's basically impossible to get a photo of this dinky dog without a fisheye effect, so here's one with a ballpoint pen wedged against her new sweater for scale.

Update! Ruby is all settled in and is acting pretty normal now. Wagging her tail a lot, playing, eating better, still lazy as poo poo, but no more than the rest of us, and when we get up she gets up. She loves going on walks now, loves meeting new people and licking their faces, loves car rides, and is just an all-around good girl.

Apparently she just needed time to settle into her new digs and get comfortable with the fact that she'll be waking up in the same place every morning from now on. At some point in the next 15 years we'll start doing road trips again, which should be a lot of fun with a mellow doggo (last doggo would try to chew out of the metal kennel we had to keep him in to prevent automobile destruction).

Here's Ruby trying her very best to score some of my Cheerios:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Spent last night at my parents to avoid parking bans in my city during a snowstorm.

Brought puppy with me and it actually went really well, unexpectedly the worst result of the experience is that Ellie seemed so much happier with more people around and a bigger house to explore. None of her normal begging to go outside or whining for me to play with her.

And now I feel guilty that I can't give my dog a bigger living space right now, just gotta live with me in my little bachelor apartment.