Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Sab669 posted:

Renaming a puppy is fine.

Bonnie was 3.5 years and Squeegee was 5.5 years :v: and yea I dunno I feel like I don't know the dog's history and I don't want to overwrite that. It's weird but it's no biggie. Nicknames come either way.

You can rename an older dog if you want. I've read articles that suggest dogs don't really understand how names work (at least for themselves), and see them more as a "pay attention" word.

If you don't know a dog's history, it's even possible that it associates its name with trauma or bad behavior. Shelters can be scary as hell for many dogs, and in the case of strays, they may have suddenly started hearing a new name as soon as they arrived.

I probably wouldn't change a rescue dog's name if I knew it had a previous good home and obviously recognized its name, but otherwise I wouldn't hesitate.

Fart Car '97 posted:

We try this but the pup just isn't interested in any fo his chews over shoes. He wants to destroy soft things and none of the things he's allowed to have are a nice to chew as a shoe. He's also smart, so he picks em' up to elicit attention and a free treat from dropping the shoe.

Yeah, we're running into this too. Kepler loving loooooves shoes, especially my wife's nice leather boots. He knows he'll often get a "drop it" reward after stealing a shoe, so sometimes he just goes for it.

Overall, though, the general trend is that he'll leave things alone more often than he used to. We're getting there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
We named our old pound rescue Ellie and either it was her name before or it was similar because she’s always responded to it.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I kept 2 of my shelter dogs names. I changed the other one because it sounded too much like "No". Now it's her middle name.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I kept Little Bear's name from the shelter simply because nothing better jumped out at me. Plus it grew on me.

Here he is after I had him put his paw on the recliner for a piece of pulled pork. It took a bit for him to get it since it was new. But then he immediately put it right back up and sat there like this because I had more on my plate :3:

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

We changed Lupe to Llewyn when we adopted him. It fits him better and sounds very similar.

But yeah, dogs can relearn their name easy-peasy if it's the main thing you call them by. Llewyn thought his name was Puppy until we made a conscious effort to use his name.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I know they can, and I know they really don't care - as was said a name really is just a buzzword for "hey furface, pay attention to your human" but some weird smoothbrain part of me still feels weird about renaming them :shrug:

Dango Bango posted:

I kept Little Bear's name from the shelter simply because nothing better jumped out at me. Plus it grew on me.

And yea while I didn't like Gigi at first, it has a grown on me and nothing better came to mind as well.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Oh yeah, I didn't mean to imply renaming a dog is a bad idea. Just doesn't feel right to us.

Having said that, my house is a nickname factory, and from the dog's point of view we're renaming them every month or so. Dingo ended life as "mister merf" which sounds completely different. He didn't seem to care much, so we must have made "we have a tasty snack for you " obvious in other ways 😉

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Here is Apollo being a doofus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLKj_xud8XQ

And here is Apollo being EXTREMELY UPSET by his anti-flea medicine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py4lB_pVAYM

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I quickly switched to edible flea/tick/heartworm preventatives, Bonnald hated that gel you put on the dogs back and would fight me so hard.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I have never used anything but pill form of flea/tick/heartworm, little piece of cheese wrapped around the pill and boom it disappears.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

The Advantage Multi topical was the best practice for heartworm positive dogs a couple of years ago. Apparently they have heartworm conventions for vets!

I switched to chewables as soon as each of my dogs completed treatment and tested negative.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
For my last dog, the vet did an annual heartworm preventative injection. It didn't cost much more than twelve months of Heartguard chewables, and we didn't have to think about it for a full year.

My vet will only do the annual one for adult dogs -- they have a six-month version for younger dogs (under a year and a half, I think they said?).

For flea/tick prevention, we've always just done the Frontline Advantage topical liquid stuff. The dogs always hate it, but at least the new one doesn't immediately try to roll around on every surface trying to get it off.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Apollo gets advantix every month and he hates it but as long as I close him in here with me in the office he just attacks his bed for half an hour before letting it go. Not his favorite but whatever. For his other pill he gets it wrapped in cheese or peanutbutter and LOVES that!

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Is it common to just give your dog heart worm medication every month for their entire lives?

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Is it common to just give your dog heart worm medication every month for their entire lives?

It depends where you live. In my area, absolutely. If your vet doesn't recommend it, it might not be prevalent in your area.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

My hound loves to eat dog poo poo, and assholes love to not clean up after their dogs in my neighborhood. God knows what she gets exposed to. So yea I try to keep it up all the time.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I have spent the last 10 days trying to keep Gobi away from dog poop. I never realized how much of it existed within a 1 block square radius of my home.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Lady swallows things on walks before we can react all the time. We usually just shrug it off. She's not dead yet!

Another notable time, we were woken up at, like, 2 AM by the unmistakable sound of a cat about to yak. Lady bolted out of bed, we heard "lick lick lick lick lick lick lick" then she came back, all in the space of, like, a minute. We usually can stop her from eating the vomit. Not that night though.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I am more than happy to let my dog clean up her own puke :shrug:

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

What the gently caress is wrong with dogs eating poop/puke

Like shouldn’t natural selection have taken care of this by now

Finn brought me a cat turd from the litter box the other day. Like what the hell dude

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Found out that Llewyn was puking because he was eating his own hair off the carpet. Guess I should vacuum more :shrug:

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Bouillon Rube posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with dogs eating poop/puke

Like shouldn’t natural selection have taken care of this by now

Finn brought me a cat turd from the litter box the other day. Like what the hell dude

I’m not sure why dogs eat other animals’ poop, but eating their own poop is a way to protect their pack from parasites.

Some animals, specifically animals that are prey, will eat their poop so predators can’t track them as easily.

Some mammals can also determine when they have parasites that are passed through fecal matter and will eat their own poop to try and stop the spread of parasites to other animals. Though if all animals would just learn to stop eating poop in the first place that wouldn’t matter!

On that note, Gobi is doing...okay at potty training? I take him out every few hours and he’ll go quickly every time. But at least once a day he pees inside, I’m not sure why. We just went out like an hour ago and then he sniffed around for a second and peed on the floor.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My wife took an old evergreen that had died into the backyard where we put our lawn waste, she just let it sit there in it's pot so the soil had become flooded with water and got rancid and gross. It smelled like rotting ocean. I kicked it over and spread out the disgusting soil and covered it with dirt/debris. It made my eyes water and I nearly puked.

Fast forward a day later, I let my dog out to pee before going to bed for the night and he comes back to the door with black paws and coughs ... Spitting black putrid dirt all over the door.

Dogs are disgusting animals.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Dog had a potty accident while I was out working. I was only gone for 3 hours and I took her out minutes before I left and she went then, so she should have been able to hold it.

She's somewhere between 1 and 2 years old, so she's still a big puppy but she can hold it through the night no problem so I'm not exactly sure why it happened.

Does that just happen with puppies sometimes or is this a sign of something worse? Bad seperation anxiety or medical issues holding her bladder or something?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Any tips on getting our 9-pound 8-month-old puppy to pee outside when a pack of coyotes is howling a couple hundred feet away? 😂

She is 100% not interested in being outside right now, and quite honestly neither am I.

E: she's really bold once she's indoors, though. Really giving the neighborhood a piece of her mind about all these coyotes. It reminds me of YouTube comments. I wonder if we're going to get to sleep at all tonight.

cruft fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Feb 11, 2021

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

So I bought a different flavor of food a few days ago since the store didn’t have my dogs usual in stock but figured it’s the same brand and it shouldn’t be a huge issue, but she’s been having the runs since then.

Other than that she’s been completely normal but I’m thinking I should just find another place with her old food obviously but since it’s been a few days I’m worried switching again will upset her stomach even more or am I just being paranoid?

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

A talking coyote posted:

So I bought a different flavor of food a few days ago since the store didn’t have my dogs usual in stock but figured it’s the same brand and it shouldn’t be a huge issue, but she’s been having the runs since then.

Other than that she’s been completely normal but I’m thinking I should just find another place with her old food obviously but since it’s been a few days I’m worried switching again will upset her stomach even more or am I just being paranoid?

I'd switch back. It's possible it's the new flavor, it's also possible something is wrong with that batch. I wouldn't keep feeding her the stuff that's making her sick though.

In my effort to get my dog to stop licking the couch, I tried putting bitter apple on the cushion but she just licked it all off anyway. She doesn't even care. I guess she's not harming it and it doesn't seem obsessive or anything, sometimes she just wants a little taste of vinyl and who am I to stop her.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Is Blue Buffalo a good choice? Gobi will probably finish the bag that the breeder had him on (NutriSource Puppy) in a few weeks, so I figure I would start switching him over to something else.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I've... heard of it but I don't know anything about it. I recently switched to NutriSource and have had pretty good results with it. Does your dog not seem to like it? It was strongly recommended by my local non-chain pet store, who claim to be the biggest mover of that brand in the state.

I've had my hound for about 3.5 years, we went through a bunch of different brands and she always had a very soft stool. She'd often poop twice and the second would be rather runny. Since switching to NS about a year ago she usually only poops once on our walks and it's much firmer and a healthier (?) color. Not actually sure how much color matters but :shrug:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Is Blue Buffalo a good choice? Gobi will probably finish the bag that the breeder had him on (NutriSource Puppy) in a few weeks, so I figure I would start switching him over to something else.

I use Blue Buffalo, but you should be aware that many grain-free foods were found to be problematic for...some reason, awhile back. Like, increased chance of causing particular health issues. My dog had already been on that food for years when the news came out, so I didn't bother changing, but it's something to be aware of.

Sorry I can't be more specific, my brain is failing me right now.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

A lot of dogs do really poorly on Blue Buffalo in my experience and it seems pretty overpriced for the quality. I'm sure there are dogs that do great on it but it's not something I would personally want to try.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I use Blue Buffalo, but you should be aware that many grain-free foods were found to be problematic for...some reason, awhile back. Like, increased chance of causing particular health issues. My dog had already been on that food for years when the news came out, so I didn't bother changing, but it's something to be aware of.

Sorry I can't be more specific, my brain is failing me right now.

You're thinking of the link the FDA was investigating between grain free dog foods and canine dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM). It turned out to be a complicated issue involving legumes blocking taurine absorption and it is still being studied.

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 11, 2021

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Grain free was connected to the possibility of enlarged heart likely due to over abundance of pea protein paired with taurine deficiency. I know some manufacturers have made modifications to their recipes but I don’t know what the latest info is.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
BB has also had numerous quality issues in the past. I switched from Merrick to Purina ProPlan Focus mixed with homemade food and my dogs have been doing really well on it.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Yeah I would recommend avoiding BB, go Purina or something else. There have been numerous quality issues/recalls for BB; anecdote but my dog did not take well to BB, went to Purina and he was fine.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

BB is regionally/factory different iirc. Like contracts out to other kibble factories to be in spec.

Mine had soft stools on it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Should I be worried about switching proteins wrt allergies like you do with cats? Similar reasoning for thr above ky younger hound has not been doing costco chicken well so I was gonna go to their lamb.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

cruft posted:

Any tips on getting our 9-pound 8-month-old puppy to pee outside when a pack of coyotes is howling a couple hundred feet away? 😂

She is 100% not interested in being outside right now, and quite honestly neither am I.

E: she's really bold once she's indoors, though. Really giving the neighborhood a piece of her mind about all these coyotes. It reminds me of YouTube comments. I wonder if we're going to get to sleep at all tonight.

Coyote Vest. For confidence.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Boxman posted:

Coyote Vest. For confidence.

What in the wide wide world of sports...

Putting an echidna costume on my dog seems like a really inconvenient way to avoid having to step outside for a few minutes. I wonder who the target demographic is for this.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

That thing is extremely Punk. Gotta give your dog a Mohawk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eyss6tDHz8

I don't know why this convo made me think of this since I haven't seen strange brew in forever, but it did.