Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

a sexual elk posted:

Yeah, so many loving people. Only there for like 2.5 hours after 2 hour drive cause the 3 y/o was overwhelmed and got lovely. 8 y/o loved it. Got her face painted and she got to go on the big bungie trampoline thing (after a 45 minute wait)

So close yet so far. I wish I had known! I might've made time to awkwardly meet you. e: Hope the family enjoyed themselves otherwise cause that's a long drive.

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Dim sum was great!

Here's an album of some of the plates we ordered for those who care: https://imgur.com/a/AIiqXb1

Went back home after to play games and hung out for a while. One of the friends is undergoing chemo and gets tired easily so we called it early.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Just discovered that the entire run of The Red Green Show is up on Youtube and could not be happier. My local PBS station in CT used to have a few seasons that they'd run on the weekends. I had no idea that the show only ended in 2006 (started in '91) and had always assumed that those three seasons were all that existed.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

a sexual elk posted:

Yeah, so many loving people. Only there for like 2.5 hours after 2 hour drive cause the 3 y/o was overwhelmed and got lovely. 8 y/o loved it. Got her face painted and she got to go on the big bungie trampoline thing (after a 45 minute wait). Wife crocheted a bunch of these flower hair tie things and was handing em out. Next year no kids haha

Oh, you were there too. Lol.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Big white guy, torn up Misfits shirt, checkered Vans, long hair with a black bandana like Blake

I was one of the 10,000 people haha

Also I got a sunburn right down the middle of my scalp where it parts, only place I forgot to spray sun block haha

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 19, 2024

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Joey Freshwater posted:

YEAH THEY ARE-oh

This, the bear in the woods, there's a pattern here if only we could see what it was.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Quiet Feet posted:

Just discovered that the entire run of The Red Green Show is up on Youtube and could not be happier. My local PBS station in CT used to have a few seasons that they'd run on the weekends. I had no idea that the show only ended in 2006 (started in '91) and had always assumed that those three seasons were all that existed.

hell yeah
the one show my dad & I would watch together that we both enjoyed. appointment PBS viewing.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Quiet Feet posted:

I still can’t believe they got a movie, with a theatrical release!

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Got a crazy idea and signed up and booked travel for the Golden Gate Bridge half. It'll be my first time in San Francisco and this race has been on my list for a while.

Glad I just booked it and didn't talk myself out of it.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Just contemplating my cats. I just want to know if my grey boy's tail has always been short or if he was in some kind of accident.

Wanna pet them all, especially that cat who looks very surprised.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Thinking of dressing as Blake for Halloween, hairs almost there (and as soft and light as bunny fur, the wife is jealous)

Sorry I’m already buzzed, think the days exhaustion is speeding it up hahah

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 06:10 on May 19, 2024

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

a sexual elk posted:

Big white guy, torn up Misfits shirt, checkered Vans, long hair with a black bandana like Blake

I see 12 year olds rocking Misfits shirts around town and it is very odd. Like there is no way on earth this literal child is listening to Last Caress and Bullet (:rock:) or his/her parents know anything about them. Can you just buy them in Target these days next to the Def Leppard and Scorpions vintage shirts lol? The crimson ghost is a god tier logo so I'm guessing it's nothing more than that and if I asked them about it they'd be like "it's a band?"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Ehh, kids get into weird poo poo all the time. Like, yeah I'm guessing the 8 year old isn't into The Misfits, but I wouldn't be surprised if his 30 year old dad was listening to them when he was 17.

Edit. Wait, you said a 12 year old, that makes his parents just a little younger than me if it wasn't a teen pregnancy, and I listened to the Misfits.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Docjowles posted:

I see 12 year olds rocking Misfits shirts around town and it is very odd. Like there is no way on earth this literal child is listening to Last Caress and Bullet (:rock:) or his/her parents know anything about them. Can you just buy them in Target these days next to the Def Leppard and Scorpions vintage shirts lol? The crimson ghost is a god tier logo so I'm guessing it's nothing more than that and if I asked them about it they'd be like "it's a band?"

my Misfits shirt my wife bought for me for $8 in the garment district in downtown LA like 8 years ago (you can’t see the million other holes and patch jobs on it) And my kids have been listening to them since day one baby. The 8y/o knows most of the lyrics and sings along with them haha

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, up until I was in middle school I probably would have told anyone who asked that my favorite band was The Beatles, because my parents are boomers, so that's what we listened to.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

I was incredibly in to Visual Kei in high school and while I'm a little embarassed by it now I still do like some of the bands I found back in the day. My dad's favorite bands were Metallica, Slayer, Black Flag, almost all the Seattle grunge bands, Hole (surprisingly), and Nine Inch Nails and since I lived with his parents from 9 until I went to college a lot of his musical taste rubbed off on me. His younger sister was into a lot 90s alternative bands and synth wave and since she was frequently someone I was left with sine her kid was my age I also picked up her bands. She took my Anastasia soundtrack and never gave it back but I did steal her Tragic Kingdom CD so it worked out.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Yeah my dad would play 80s-90s hair rock (that fucker would hit Sunset Blvd every weekend with spandex a bullet belt and enough hairspray to block the ozone in Australia) as he got older it shifted to heavy metal. My mom tho it was all Beatles Fleetwood Mac and Bonnie Raitt. Love em all but didn’t discover punk until middle school

Some cleaning days blasting Pantera some blasting Queen or Micheal Jackson

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 05:52 on May 19, 2024

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

a sexual elk posted:

my Misfits shirt my wife bought for me for $8 in the garment district in downtown LA like 8 years ago (you can’t see the million other holes and patch jobs on it) And my kids have been listening to them since day one baby. The 8y/o knows most of the lyrics and sings along with them haha

Hell yeah. I'm in suburban Colorado now and gonna guess a lot of these parents were not on Sunset Blvd watching GNR and Motley Crue and whoever rise to fame lol. But who knows we got a lot of transplants here (like me)

a sexual elk posted:

Love em all but didn’t discover punk until middle school

I still remember the exact instant my friend put on Do or Die by the Dropkick Murphys (I'm from outside Boston, this was the local gateway drug in the late 90s) in his basement and my life changed forever. Obviously this led straight into Misfits and Sex Pistols and Ramones and Rancid and a whole world I never knew existed

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Docjowles posted:

Hell yeah. I'm in suburban Colorado now and gonna guess a lot of these parents were not on Sunset Blvd watching GNR and Motley Crue and whoever rise to fame lol. But who knows we got a lot of transplants here (like me)

I still remember the exact instant my friend put on Do or Die by the Dropkick Murphys (I'm from outside Boston, this was the local gateway drug in the late 90s) in his basement and my life changed forever. Obviously this led straight into Misfits and Sex Pistols and Ramones and Rancid and a whole world I never knew existed

1 Metallica album 8 songs 1 hour. Best of Ramones 60 songs on 2 discs 2 hours

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Next year gonna nix the kids and go to Renn fair as Shrek

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Docjowles posted:

I still remember the exact instant

Same, I had ordered 12 CDs thru Columbia House literally pulling a Bart faking a name. Mom didn’t care I’d committed mail fraud at like 10. She circled all the bad words in the CDs books, she just made me more aware of the good parts. Anyways one of the CDs was Panteras Walk album, one of my major memories is my dad loading it up into his tow trucks rack and asking me if I was “ready for this”

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

a sexual elk posted:

Same, I had ordered 12 CDs thru Columbia House literally pulling a Bart faking a name. Mom didn’t care I’d committed mail fraud at like 10. She circled all the bad words in the CDs books, she just made me more aware of the good parts. Anyways one of the CDs was Panteras Walk album, one of my major memories is my dad loading it up into his tow trucks rack and asking me if I was “ready for this”

Owns. If my parents asked me if I was "ready for this" it would have been before they hit play on like, James Taylor or The Big Bopper's hardest album lol. Found Metallica and Pantera (by turning on the radio) but no thanks to them.

Just remembered getting in deep poo poo for borrowing my friend's Cypress Hill Black Sunday tape too. The days of passing around physical tapes none of your friends had ever heard before like magic totems

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 07:34 on May 19, 2024

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

a sexual elk posted:

Anyways one of the CDs was Panteras Walk album, one of my major memories is my dad loading it up into his tow trucks rack and asking me if I was “ready for this”

This fuckin rules lol

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Gifs you can hear

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Dango Bango posted:

Got a crazy idea and signed up and booked travel for the Golden Gate Bridge half. It'll be my first time in San Francisco and this race has been on my list for a while.

Glad I just booked it and didn't talk myself out of it.

That’s a nice run, I used to do it when I lived in Nob Hill.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

a sexual elk posted:

Thinking of dressing as Blake for Halloween, hairs almost there (and as soft and light as bunny fur, the wife is jealous)

Sorry I’m already buzzed, think the days exhaustion is speeding it up hahah

You should found Aviato and then turn the profits into a tech incubator.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Docjowles posted:

The days of passing around physical tapes none of your friends had ever heard before like magic totems

Sublime has always been a major cultural “thing” where I was raised, I remember staying up till 11 so I could hold my tape player up to a radio just to get a copy of Date Rape off KROQ

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I was at a party tonight where a bunch of theater kids who are now semi-famous actors started playing guitars and singing and Sublime was one of the first things they did

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

You should found Aviato and then turn the profits into a tech incubator.

Bro I’m way to faded to figure out any of those words

Plus this lump wants love

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

It’s a straight up “dad didn’t want a cat but now they’re best friends” thing

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Cats rule so it's not surprising.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Katya is very distracted since my tuxie girl has decided to camp out on top of the wardrobe

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Think I’m out, love you all. But you SoCal goons need to come up for some Saucy Momma’s and some beers

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
You should just come down here. kiimo will buy us drinks all night, he texted me this evening at 6pm to say this, right before he died of being out in public all day

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

a sexual elk posted:

Sublime has always been a major cultural “thing” where I was raised, I remember staying up till 11 so I could hold my tape player up to a radio just to get a copy of Date Rape off KROQ

Caress Me Down came out roughly when I was a freshman in highschool and that sure rearranged some teenage brain cells. They became a thing everywhere, even in rural Massachusetts lol

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Oh yeah, it really only sticks out because of the banana.

Okay, I'm at the banana episode.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

a sexual elk posted:

Next year gonna nix the kids and go to Renn fair as Shrek

*follows you around dressed as a little kid imploring you to Do the Roar

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The first 3 cassette tapes that I heard that had me :asoiaf: were Faith No More's The Real Thing, Primus' Sailing the Seas of Cheese, and Guns N' Roses' Use Your Illusion II (I didn't get Use Your Illusion I until I got a CD player). When I heard Nine Inch Nails' Broken and learned there were hidden tracks on the CD I was also :aaaaa:.

a sexual elk posted:

Gifs you can hear

Cypress Hill is touring with an actual orchestra in 2024, further reinforcing the "Simpsons did it first" trope.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve8q7m7pDWc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heDjqenOuBg

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Android Apocalypse posted:

The first 3 cassette tapes that I heard that had me :asoiaf: were Faith No More's The Real Thing, Primus' Sailing the Seas of Cheese, and Guns N' Roses' Use Your Illusion II (I didn't get Use Your Illusion I until I got a CD player). When I heard Nine Inch Nails' Broken and learned there were hidden tracks on the CD I was also :aaaaa:.

Cypress Hill is touring with an actual orchestra in 2024, further reinforcing the "Simpsons did it first" trope.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve8q7m7pDWc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heDjqenOuBg

I found CDs of Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 at a flea market in middle school for like a combined $5 and drat did I get a lot of mileage out of that purchase

First album I chose for myself was Green Day Dookie. Which also had a hidden track. Kids these days don’t know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Music Chat:

I got exposed to a wide variety of stuff when I was a very young age. My dad has a massive collection of vinyl going back to the 70s, augmented by CDs once those became a thing, so there were some classics like Led Zeppelin IV, several Doors albums, The Rolling Stones' Sticky Fingers, The Police, but also all sorts of weird stuff like the various versions of King Crimson (Red was and remains a big favorite), Frank Zappa's eclectic discography (Hot Rats is another huge favorite, and due to The Best Band You Never Heard in Your Life, his version of Ring of Fire was the only one I knew until my teens lol), crazy fusion stuff like Return to Forever, and assorted other stuff. My mom added stuff like Queen (The blue Classic Queen and red Greatest Hits CDs were regular staples) and other odds and ends, so somewhere in there was a bit of country (This being the era where people like Garth Brooks and Clint Black were loving massive), some more classic rock (The Guess Who, Bob Seger, that sorta stuff) and more (I know she had a tape of Cracked Rear View cause I think everyone had that).

At the same time (This being the mid-90s), my older brother and cousin were listening to more contemporary stuff, so from them I was getting Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden, No Doubt, Green Day, and The Offspring. Pretty sure from them either Frogstomp or Sixteen Stone were the first cassette tapes I was given as my own copies. My cousin specifically was also the first to introduce me to Van Halen (Best Of Vol. 1) and Rush (Moving Pictures), although I'd already heard them on radio, and that started them toward being my two favorite bands. I think the first album I purchased myself was Van Halen's 1984, but we'd already been regularly making mixtapes of stuff we already had. I know there was one that was partially Queen, Van Halen, and some NFL Films music (That came from dad) that became a road trip staple for as long as we had a car with a cassette deck.

Didn't really stumble into metal (Specifically Iron Maiden) until high school, and then all sorts of other weird poo poo on my own.