Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

h_double posted:

I once tried putting a comically sexist NPC in a game (basically, a military base commander modeled after Borat), and that really didn't go over well with the woman in our group (her comment was something like "I have to put up with that kind of poo poo every day, RPGs are supposed to be escapism dammit")
I like the idea of making that character into escapism for her, assuming that she's interested. Make him a total buffoon and let her character (and the rest of the group) show him up and make him look like a giant rear end in a top hat at every turn. Have him try retarded things to get revenge and let the PCs thwart him with ease. It's just an NPC, so by all means push him down in the mud and let them walk all over the guy.

I did a similar thing with an annoying Elven ambassador in one of my D&D games. Having an incompetent nemesis type can be a fun little distraction sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Pieces of Peace posted:

I think Amish Ninja isn't trying to draw an equivalency, but to point out that Footwork Lure is in fact incredibly easy to explain flavor-wise. I mean it's stepping back a whole five feet and tricking your foe into following you. Not like that's ever been used in, oh, every swashbuckling movie ever?
Yeah I misunderstood, I'm retarded.

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

Nope. Look at it this way. Your friends are claiming the sky is green. You know it isn't green. You've seen green, and the sky is clearly blue. But your friends are convinced you'll see the sky is green, if you imagine there is some yellow in there with it. You try, but however much you might be able to imagine the sky is green, you know that you're seeing something that isn't there. It's the same way with our orc friend and his power shots. Whatever spin I might apply to how his power works, I know that isn't what's actually happening. And that disconnect is what makes 4e combat not fun for me.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Salve, citizens! Welcome to Roma, a create your own adventure role playing game.

This is the first in the series of Roma games that I have been hatching. However, do not be confused; the sequels and prequels may have absolutely nothing to do with our main characters in our stories and my not link up chronologically. Do not be upset if the next game is actually a few hundred years earlier than this one!

This thread will operate like most adventure threads, although in this particular chapter, the main character and starting stats and temperaments will be fixed. We'll start with character info, then an introduction and then we will be rolling like a severed head down the Capitoline.

***DISCLAIMER! BY JUPITER'S STONE, YOU MUST READ THIS***

Some of the events that take place in this game are going to be extremely visceral, grotesque and debauched. I am going to take great pains in being almost over descriptive to capture the reality of life in this place and time. If you are disgusted by the description of a high born noble loving his male slave by his own right, please leave and do not ruin the thread. If you are put off by someone getting strung upside down by a street gang, gelded with a rusty sickle, decapitated and thrown into the Tiber, please leave without complaint. This isn't meant to be an Utopian vision of a mythical past. This will get dirty.

Also, part of my over descriptions come from not being an artist. I would love to have some art in this thread, but from myself it will mostly be in the form of mosaics, frescoes, sculptures and potsherds. This is because I want to keep an antiquated feel and because I am no artist. If anyone wants to contribute visually, please do!!

Now, with that out of the way, let us begin!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3111817

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

You are Nineteen. You came of age a bit late, partially due to your mother's coddling, but you came of age with a vengeance. Your appetite for sex is only matched by a satyr and exceeded only by Bacchus himself! You are tall, lean and a bit waify for a man. In fact, sometimes men seem to be more attracted to you than women because of your slight figure and baby face. At nineteen, you fit your cognomen (Pavo, "peacock") well. You usually wear a white tunic with green labyrinth patterning and a bright saffron toga that makes you unmistakable in public.

... 74 pages, christ. Is all of it like that?

Holy poo poo, just clicked on a random page:

quote:

DRAMATIS PERSONAE

Now with how much we want to gently caress them in bold numbers!

Family
Aulus Volumnius Pavo- That’s us 10

Postumus Volumnius- our younger brother, Seven years old. 0

Volumnia- Our sister, a year older than we are. 0

Camillus- Our uncle, we owe a debt to him, the better part of our funds have been loaned to us by him. 0

Erastes Fulmen- Our cousin on our mother’s side, captain of the Aventine collegium. We are now brother to him by oath. 0

Friends and Contacts
Appius- An architect who gave us a high ranking job in the construction of a public work. 3

Sopho- Our former pedagogue, now a freedman. He still gives lessons at the playhouse, Dramatica Maxima. 2

Marcus Junius Brutus- “Et tu, Brute?” most famous assassin of Julius Caesar. A senator and friend to Julius Caesar, he is descended from the Gens Junii where his great forefather, Lucius Junius freed Roma from the tyranny of the King Tarquinius Superbus. His family name goes far, for they are seen as killers of tyrants and liberators of the republic. Rather than be wed as we would in history, he instead has his eye set on our sister, Volumnia. 7

Rufus- A local Slave-seller whom we purchased slaves from, promising to spread his name about. And maybe his butt cheeks. 7

Flavio- Lieutenant to Erastes Fulmen. 2

Lucius Pinarius- Childhood friend who you have just caught up with. Great Nephew of Caesar and cousin to Octavian. 10

Slaves and Subordinates
Gigo- One of our slaves, a burly greek man in his thirties, does much of the labor for us around the house. 7

Bubo- Our latin slave who manages familial affairs and tutors Postumus. 0

Lydie- A buxom and bronze skinned Spaniard house-slave we own. 9

Ilia- An Ionian Greek, she is an uppity slave who can cook fabulous oregano flatbread. Thin and Raven-haired. Middle Aged. 6

Roxanna- A chunky Syrian women who knows how to prepare delicious meat and cheese. Submissive and knows her place. 5

Tufa, a Cyrenian (native tribeswoman). Coming from Africa, she is an expert on exotic spices, and can usually fetch rare goods at astonishing prices. 9

Kassandros: A Greek man, Blessed by Neptune he has a way with fish and the sea. Loves the water and seems able to pluck a fish from the Tiber without any thought. Sadly he seems to be rather mentally impaired. Loyal to us provided we can supply him with fish. 0

Kleon- A greek, now manages our bar and handles our new slaves. Former slave to a Capitoline lawyer. Knows Roma well. 0

Percivia- a Belgian Slave-woman. Works in our tavern 9

Hilaria- a Belgian slave-woman. Works in our tavern 9

Aliquidus- a Belgian slave-boy. Works in our house 7

Piganus- a Belgian slave-boy: Works in our tavern 7

Ferro- A former gladiator, Fights in the style of the Murmillo. Proudly displays his Rudi, or wooden sword signifying freedom from gladiatorial games. Bouncer for our bar. 5

The Gallic Twins- Italicus and Hadrianus. Cisalpine Gauls. Want to be Italians. Security and subordinate to Ferro, but also bartend. 3

Caldus- a former 6th legion soldier. Alternates between head of security and being our bodyguard with: 5

Minio- Caldus’ friend, also a former 6th legion soldier. 5

Hiedegaard/Adrianna- A fire-haired Germanic virgin who can sing like a siren. Our Slave. 10

Special thanks to Quantumfate!! 10

I don't think this is at all realistic why do I not want to gently caress Bubo at all? :smith:

Ashenai fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jun 6, 2009

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I am really surprised to see an on-topic post in this thread come from GBS. I mean, yeah, I know it's GBS, but still.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

TG Discussion: BY JUPITER'S STONE, YOU MUST READ THIS

Eggplant Ronin
Apr 26, 2007

How you like my balls now?:smug:
[REDACTED],

During the last session, the group expressed their feelings on your style of play and missing several of the sessions.

Baring Emergencies, Major Holidays, and Important Events (Weddings, Funerals and the like), they wold like to see you every Sunday for the rest of the year.

As for your style of play, it seems to be too incompatible with the majority of the other players. the group as a whole seems to think it slows down the game and makes it harder for the others to accomplish thier goals. If this was a Story Teller style game (Like White Wolf) I think your concept would be more accepted.

The group would like to see the following changes:

Attend the game for the remaining Sundays of the year starting 07/01/07 (Baring the example listed eariler).
Brush up on the Rules in the Player's Handbook and your chracters class abilities.
Play your characters as a more straight laced, useful member of the party.

If you honestly belive you can make thoses changes we will be happy to see you again on 07/01/07.

Also, [REDACTED] has also been given a similar message and I am waiting for his reply.

[REDACTED]

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Eggplant Ronin posted:

[REDACTED],

During the last session, the group expressed their feelings on your style of play and missing several of the sessions.

Baring Emergencies, Major Holidays, and Important Events (Weddings, Funerals and the like), they wold like to see you every Sunday for the rest of the year.

As for your style of play, it seems to be too incompatible with the majority of the other players. the group as a whole seems to think it slows down the game and makes it harder for the others to accomplish thier goals. If this was a Story Teller style game (Like White Wolf) I think your concept would be more accepted.

The group would like to see the following changes:

Attend the game for the remaining Sundays of the year starting 07/01/07 (Baring the example listed eariler).
Brush up on the Rules in the Player's Handbook and your chracters class abilities.
Play your characters as a more straight laced, useful member of the party.

If you honestly belive you can make thoses changes we will be happy to see you again on 07/01/07.

Also, [REDACTED] has also been given a similar message and I am waiting for his reply.

[REDACTED]

Ahh good I'm giving my players their midyear reviews on Sunday and I needed a template...

The General
Mar 4, 2007

What happened to just saying 'thanks for coming out, but our play styles don't mesh. Sorry dude.'?

It happens, it's not a big deal. And what's up with that 'every Sunday save emergencies' thing? Do they have some series issues with flakey players?

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

"1001 'Barbaric' Customs: Superstitions, Taboos, Rituals, etc."

quote:

326 - Every time your humanoid enemy is near death and your enemy is a female humanoid, you rape her.
327 - Mutilation of scalps and then use them as trophies.
328 - Tie down enemy children to a tree and test the sharpness of your blade.
329 - Eat the flesh of the fallen.
330 - Use your allies as shields.
331 - Rape your female allies at night.
332 - Torture the enemy's family in front of their eyes.
333 - For your ally's incompetence to kill the enemy, after the battle, you tie him/her down and chop of their fingers for every enemy not killed.
334 - Failure to rape enemy women will result in floggings from the whole tribe and banishment.
335 - Failure to kill will result in your family's torture, rape, and death.
336 - Failure to be physically well for war and pillaging will result in 335.
337 - For being caught stealing another man's woman, the stealer shall have every bone of his body crushed before having his ********* removed.
338 - For the man who sees the theft of the woman, his eyes will be gauged out so he can no longer see evil.
339 - If your woman cannot bear a child, you will be stripped naked and sent into wild for nature to cure your infertility. You will have to survive two weeks alone in the wilderness, if you try to return, you will be skinned alive.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Lugubrious posted:

Mutilation, rape and eye exams. Sounds very conductive to a community!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Lugubrious posted:

Why is barbaric in quotes

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

RagnarokAngel posted:

Its not really that bad :P I mean a mature group can handle it

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

RagnarokAngel posted:

why is there self-censorship in another rape-glorifying post? who knows?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Drox posted:

why is there self-censorship in another rape-glorifying post? who knows?

Cause some poo poo is just wrong you depraved loony

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

Seftir posted:

Cause some poo poo is just wrong you depraved loony

Look, you should always chop off a dude's ******* for being caught stealing another man's woman, but god help you if you say *******!

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

I was reading a gay-themed thread over on the General Discussion board, and I got the impression that a lot of gamers (especially the gaymers) exclusively play characters who share their own sexual orientation.

It got me wondering how else the characters we play are influenced by who we are. I find it particularly interesting in Exalted where sexuality is very present in the setting that even bestiality is not that big of a deal (if it has the purpose of breeding beastmen anyway).

Is there anything that you have never played and that you would never really consider playing? Is it because you feel you cannot identify with the character? Or because you feel it would be inappropiate to deal with a certain topic?

I am a heterosexual white male, but I have played everything from gay to straight to bi as well as several different ethnicities and both genders as well as cross-dressers. Some of my characters have been children, some have been extremely old. Some have been athletes and some have been handicapped. I have played the hero, but I have also portrayed racists, homophobes, rapists, murderers, drug addicts, the clinically insane, and an array of other things that I am not.

I have never played a pedophile as such, but I did portray a female Abyssal at one point who had an unhealthy relation to children because of her own flawed childhood. It was never obviously sexual in nature, but it was motherly in a disturbingly childish kind of way so it had undertones of sexuality. It was a narrow line to walk.

I think one of the great things about roleplaying is the opportunity to explore situations that you would not experience in real life and playing someone different from yourself really helps that along.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?

quote:

I DM a regular game and I figured out that instant death effects are not the way to go.
I homebrewed every single death effect into something else that either physically paralyzes (Very high Fortitude each round until they overcome it), mentally stuns you (Very High Will each round until they overcome it) , or drops you unconscious (Ally must succeed on a Heal with high DC to bring you back to your senses or you fall into coma).

I also home brewed no revival at all. Dieing is very very hard in my setting, but it has happened and it has had to do with big player errors. I've had no TPK's.
Since I begin I tell my players I will throw them different types of challenges, some easy, some hard, and some way beyond their CR. They must be smart enough to know which to undertake, or find a way to win the odds back for them. If they die, it's see you next campaign.

This seems pretty reasonable until you get to the bit where he says if you're not smart enough to know when his fight is designed to be unwinnable it's "see you next campaign." I presume this sort of smugness is as equally grognardy as plain wrongness.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The General posted:

What happened to just saying 'thanks for coming out, but our play styles don't mesh. Sorry dude.'?

It happens, it's not a big deal. And what's up with that 'every Sunday save emergencies' thing? Do they have some series issues with flakey players?

Are you serious? Anyone with a life is a flakey player. It's not realistic at all to say "every X" when talking about most DnD groups, because hundreds of other things can come up. You just check with everyone about when they're free next.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Are you serious? Anyone with a life is a flakey player. It's not realistic at all to say "every X" when talking about most DnD groups, because hundreds of other things can come up. You just check with everyone about when they're free next.

look motherfucker we're trying to craft an epic tale of here so if you can't be bothered to commit then I guess we know who is next on the character rape train...

Eggplant Ronin
Apr 26, 2007

How you like my balls now?:smug:
I had missed one sunday because I went out drinking and had a nasty hangover, and the next sunday I missed because it was father's day and I guess I was the only person with a dad. When I finally did show back up, they didn't feel like they should address me directly during the session and instead sent me an email after the game.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
See now there is the problem started by LW and the Blumes, and continued with WotC to bastardize what it is for a quick buck.

I don't play franchise. I cannot go and play McDonald's can I? No because it is not a game. Likewise D&D is not longer a game nor has any meaning. It is Jello and Bandaids now. Only one company is allowed to use the name and logo for a product, but that name is used as a generic term by others and the name has no meaning.

Every time I ask for a bandaid I don't need a product made by Johnson & Johnson. Every time I eat jello it doesn't have the logo on it.

Wherein Jello doesn't have such a following to where eating it means something other than eating generic gelatin, and only the company has anything to really get upset about, likewise bandaid is the same way. When you have a product that is user configurable and the name carries weight to really identify what the product is, like D&D, when you turn it into something other than it is then the users like the product no longer have a purpose to using that name.

When they tried to turn D&D into a brand, a label just to stick on things, they diluted any weight that name carried. Like Jello is a product line, as well Bandaid, now so is D&D.

I didn't play D&D for many years because it was D&D. I played D&D for many years because everything else out there to me sucked. It didn't offer what I wanted form a game. Other games had some interesting things, but as a whole they were not something worthy of my playing. Now with 4th edition D&D has become something not worthy of me playing because it is so far from anything I would play.

No longer can you casually discuss D&D, especially after 3rd; and have decent talks about it, because the way the name/brand has been diluted to just mean (and many people use it this way) a generic term for fantasy RPGs.

Any other company that makes a product that its buying public doesn't acknowledge as worthy of carrying the name quickly hides that product and terminates its production in hopes that the buying public will forget it and forgive them. This buying public is often the supporters of that company and fans of its products, rather than random people that did not buy its products before if it carries a name well know to be a specific thing.

How many ET video games do you see today, and what happened to those made for the Atari?

"4th edition D&D" is the "Atari 2600 ET" of the RPG world.

Kemper Boyd fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 7, 2009

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

Kemper Boyd posted:

How many ET video games do you see today, and what happened to those made for the Atari?

Let's check some numbers, shall we? Of the 20 best selling books in the Puzzles and Gaming >> Role-Playing Games category on Amazon, 4e books hold 14 spots (#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #7, #8, #11, #13, #15, #16, #17, #18, and #19). Five of those, including #1, haven't even been released yet; the preorders along are enough to put them in the top 20. Other edition books hold three other slots. The only other RPG in the top #20 is Star Wars RPG.

In Entertainment >> Puzzles and Games, 4th edition has 5 spots (#4, #5, #7, #14, and #18). The only things higher are the Sims 3 guide and two GRE prep courses. The unreleased Eberron holds slot #455 in sales out of every book on Amazon.

Out of the top 100 role-playing and fantasy products, D&D books and minis from all editions have over half the slots(55). I don't think WotC is in too bad of shape. And if that's not a grognards.txt worthy post, then I'll be damned

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

TG Discussion: I cannot go and play McDonald's can I? No because it is not a game.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

HKR posted:

TG Discussion: I cannot go and play McDonald's can I? No because it is not a game.

In Unknown Armies, you can play McDonalds.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

I really want to know how people can use "it's not selling IT'S A FAILURE" as an argument when there's gobs of information that basically says it's selling like hotcakes. Wasn't MM2 on the NYT bestsellers list the week it came out? And that's a book that is mostly just for DMs.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Lugubrious posted:

I really want to know how people can use "it's not selling IT'S A FAILURE" as an argument when there's gobs of information that basically says it's selling like hotcakes. Wasn't MM2 on the NYT bestsellers list the week it came out? And that's a book that is mostly just for DMs.

This is the danger of living off anecdotal evidence. Grognards travel in grognard circles and see nobody buying the game. They just assume that everyone is like them.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I always knew it was selling well and doing good because no one wanted to join in my grognard games :smith:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Lugubrious posted:

It was PHB2.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Lugubrious posted:

If you'll forgive me for posting Games poo poo in TGD, these are the same people who think Nintendo is failing because they're selling casual games to casual gamers hand over fist.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

IMJack posted:

If you'll forgive me for posting Games poo poo in TGD, these are the same people who think Nintendo is failing because they're selling casual games to casual gamers hand over fist.

Yes and no. No rational gamer thinks Nintendo is failing financially, it doesn't mean in their opinion they're succeeding in quality however.
Some believe the same thing in 4e, but there are people who don't think 4e is doing either.

opaopa13
Jul 25, 2007

EB: i'm in a rocket pack and i am about to blast off into space. it should be sweet.

Kemper Boyd posted:

See now there is the problem started by LW and the Blumes, and continued with WotC to bastardize what it is for a quick buck.

I don't play franchise. I cannot go and play McDonald's can I? No because it is not a game. Likewise D&D is not longer a game nor has any meaning. It is Jello and Bandaids now. Only one company is allowed to use the name and logo for a product, but that name is used as a generic term by others and the name has no meaning.

Every time I ask for a bandaid I don't need a product made by Johnson & Johnson. Every time I eat jello it doesn't have the logo on it.

Wherein Jello doesn't have such a following to where eating it means something other than eating generic gelatin, and only the company has anything to really get upset about, likewise bandaid is the same way. When you have a product that is user configurable and the name carries weight to really identify what the product is, like D&D, when you turn it into something other than it is then the users like the product no longer have a purpose to using that name.

When they tried to turn D&D into a brand, a label just to stick on things, they diluted any weight that name carried. Like Jello is a product line, as well Bandaid, now so is D&D.

I didn't play D&D for many years because it was D&D. I played D&D for many years because everything else out there to me sucked. It didn't offer what I wanted form a game. Other games had some interesting things, but as a whole they were not something worthy of my playing. Now with 4th edition D&D has become something not worthy of me playing because it is so far from anything I would play.

No longer can you casually discuss D&D, especially after 3rd; and have decent talks about it, because the way the name/brand has been diluted to just mean (and many people use it this way) a generic term for fantasy RPGs.

Any other company that makes a product that its buying public doesn't acknowledge as worthy of carrying the name quickly hides that product and terminates its production in hopes that the buying public will forget it and forgive them. This buying public is often the supporters of that company and fans of its products, rather than random people that did not buy its products before if it carries a name well know to be a specific thing.

What the hell IS this? At first I thought it was your standard, "WotC cares about making money, ergo 4e sucks", but actually it looks like his argument is, "A word can't refer to two different things -- thus, now that 'D&D' refers to a franchise, it can no longer refer to a game." Is he really claiming you can't discuss D&D anymore? What?

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

opaopa13 posted:

What the hell IS this? At first I thought it was your standard, "WotC cares about making money, ergo 4e sucks", but actually it looks like his argument is, "A word can't refer to two different things -- thus, now that 'D&D' refers to a franchise, it can no longer refer to a game." Is he really claiming you can't discuss D&D anymore? What?

No, I'm pretty sure he's 'just' saying that, because 4e is so bad, it has retroactively tainted everything that was brilliant and inspired in the other editions. Not that that makes any more sense, but, you know, grognard

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

opaopa13 posted:

To be honest, I have no loving idea.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Kemper Boyd posted:

To be honest, I have no loving idea.

I like how it became a generic name to slap on different systems when 4e came along. A, 2 and 3? All completely fine (nevermind that d20 tried to be the most generic thing ever). But 4e, a system built specifically to simulate tactical fantasy roleplay? Generic and has ruined the D&D name.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

The general mental health of D&D player can pretty much be judged through what's their favorite edition though. Anyone who prefers the older versions for any other reason than nostalgia or an occasional thing to do is pretty much batshit insane.

Or that guy in rpg.net who's posts consist of ORIGINAL D&D IS THE BEST I PLAYED WITH GYGAX LISTEN TO ME.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Kemper Boyd posted:

Anyone who prefers the older versions for any other reason than nostalgia or an occasional thing to do is pretty much batshit insane.

Gad damnit, I never thought of myself as batshit insane :smith:

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007

The General posted:

Gad damnit, I never thought of myself as batshit insane :smith:

says the guy who seriousposts in "grognards.txt"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Guess posted:

I hate to keep saying “I told you so” about Fourth Edition D&D, but there’s a thread on TheRPGSite that talks about the new Rust Monster in the MMII. I really can’t believe what I’m reading.

As most of you know, in D&D the Rust Monster is a weird-looking mostly harmless critter feared by adventurers because of its diet. It touches metal with its feathery antennae and cause it to rust into bits, then it eats the rust.

Well, apparently the thought of anyone losing a magic item is no longer tolerable to the Wizards designers. Check it out:

Attack Mode: Dissolve Metal (standard action; per encounter) • Targets a creature wearing or wielding a rusting magic item of 10th level or lower or any non-magic rusting item; +9 vs. Reflex; the rusting item is destroyed.
Residuum Recovery • A rust monster consumes any item it destroys. The residuum from any magic items the monster has destroyed can be retrieved from its stomach. The residuum is worth the market value of the item (not one-fifth the value).

“Residuum” is the magic dust that you can disenchant 4e magic items into. Normally, as part of their ridiculous and sad economic rules, it’s only worth 20% of the item’s cost. However, the Rust Monster now kindly keeps it at full price for you in its gullet. There’s an explicit rationale for this in the “A Guide to Using Rust Monsters” section in the MM2 which boils down to “don’t make any nine year olds cry”…

Eventually, though, the PCs should have an opportunity to regain their lost equipment by using the residuum found in the monster. Although a PC might lose an item, it is intended that the loss be only temporary, which is why the residuum recovered from a rust monster is equal to the full value of the destroyed item. How the PCs deal with the loss is what makes the rust monster fun. Be wary of PCs who try to abuse a rust monster’s powers to their advantage by using rust monsters to consume items the PCs would otherwise sell for one-fifth value. In such cases, you should reduce the resulting residuum to one-fifth value, effectively making the rust monster a free Disenchant Magic Item ritual.

What, they didn’t bother rule-izing that last part by giving it a “Detect Intent” power that would formally change the residuum value based on its reading of the character’s mind?

Seriously, come the gently caress on. Realism and consequences are not “fun”, according to Mearls and the other 4e writers. All those people who have enjoyed playing any other edition of D&D must be confused.

Why not just take that small additional step and have characters respawn close to the dungeon with all their gear? God forbid a dead party member gets left behind or some other factor causes them to lose their stuff. Or have un-fun trips to get raised or otherwise be out of the action for more than five minutes. Some of the 4e community is dismissive of “these tired comparisons of 4e to MMORPGs” but – the truth’s the truth. This is a pure computer game move.

Heck, put spawn points in the dungeon. I was amused recently when I got Unreal Tournament 3 on the XBox 360 and in the cutscenes they actually refer to the respawn points as real, in-world things. Most games have the courtesy to pretend they don’t really exist (I know, it actually makes some sense in the UT universe… But this isn’t XCrawl, it’s D&D.). Time for D&D to do the same thing! Dying, gear loss, etc. should all be only moments of delay from getting back in the melee!

I mean, I’m honestly not averse to that in some fringe take-off of the genre like XCrawl. But in D&D? In a core world that supposedly might make some sense, like the fantasy worlds from those things called books people used to read? Really?