Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Rahonavis posted:

I guess it works the same way the Original Character in Sweeper Bravo's avatar can transform into any "mythical creature" - in a world where gryphons and centaurs and cat-people are real. :confused:

Anyway, I want to write a comic where the lamb girl goes on a quest to slay a dragon and steal its skin. :black101:

(Note: I'm not going to write this comic. Meanwhile, to the surprise of nobody, Natsume has been writing a "Wolf's Rain" sequel webcomic, ending of the actual series be damned.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

those gums in that last picture don't look green to me, what is this bullshit

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Those are the lips, I think. I hope. Otherwise sacrelige.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

When you're really anime inside.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

drat. I kinda want to upgrade to the Surprised or Weeping face now.

and the sad one is so :kimchi:

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

it always does the dreamworks face when smiling :mad:

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

sweeperbravo posted:

drat. I kinda want to upgrade to the Surprised or Weeping face now.

and the sad one is so :kimchi:

And pass up that impatient face?

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

You can have a gif as an avatar, like this half-assed one:

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
"GUMS ARE ALSO GREEN?!?"

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
C.H.U.D.D

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
Self-published e-books are a goldmine of weird.

https://books.google.com/books?id=aXeoCwAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_atb#v=onepage&q&f=false

Yes, a Havanese is a dog breed. The book is described as a "Havanese science fiction story" about "a community from the Habaneria reign [region?], which was destroyed by a lethal radioactive blast in 45,000 BC. The community was made up of about 5,000 Havanese, a peaceful and technologically advanced race of dogs governed by their queen, Alari." The description then gets pretty far-out, really makes you think, man.

On the plus side, the dog on the cover is really cute.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I found yet another series of questionably priced "adoptables". Can you guess how much deviantART people paid for these premade, simple, flat color stuffed animals made by generic templates?

20-30 USD each. All of them sold.

Even if you pay to buy one of these things, you have to follow a Terms of Use to do anything with it. (The winner of the auction in that link paid 350 dollars for theirs.)

quote:

Before Buying a pillowing, always make sure you read my Terms of Use. When you purchase an adoptable from me, you automatically agree to those terms. So please make sure you're familiar with them and my Trade/Buy Back policies!

The link is broken, but I can only wonder what asinine conditions are inside. All this fuss over My Little Ponies with a pillow stitched to their rear end.

Edit: She offers payment plans.

Forsythia has a new favorite as of 06:23 on Jul 10, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What exactly is an adoptable anyways?

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Internet Kraken posted:

This was explained earlier in the thread.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Mizuti posted:

The link is broken, but I can only wonder what asinine conditions are inside.

I assume since all of them sold, you're allowed to gently caress them.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON

Internet Kraken posted:

You're basically buying an OC from someone that you can then use for whatever you wish.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Kumaton posted:

You're basically buying an OC from someone that you can then use for whatever you wish the terms of use allow.

:shepface:

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Kumaton posted:

You're basically buying an OC from someone that you can then use for whatever you wish.

I also believe there's still a "you must credit me" clause in there somewhere?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The terms of use vary from artist to artist. It's a really weird and DA subculture and I have no idea why people buy into it.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

Unguided posted:

The terms of use vary from artist to artist. It's a really weird and DA subculture and I have no idea why people buy into it.

Cargo culting. deviantART's culture operates on cargo culting.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
I know many of the buyers and creators are weird adults shut ins who read too much Harry Potter and Twilight, but I feel like there's probably plenty of kids with their parents credit card and this scares me from wanting to have a kid.

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic
I have at least one internet acquaintance that makes up some adoptables when they need extra cash, 4 designs at a time for 20 bucks each, and they usually sell eventually. I guess there's a larger subset of people on the internet who want to have OCs without having to design or draw anything with disposable income than I thought. It's kind of weird but if people are buying recolours of the same design for 20 bucks a pop then why not get in on that sweet internet teenager cash?

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

... I hope this helps!

Ten Becquerels posted:

I guess there's a larger subset of people on the internet who want to have OCs without having to design or draw anything with disposable income than I thought.

But that's the thing. Most of these things end up collecting dust. They're not used as an avatar and they aren't used in projects, roleplay, artwork, or writing, either. In practice, most of these people pay to squat on a premade jpg.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Mizuti posted:

But that's the thing. Most of these things end up collecting dust. They're not used as an avatar and they aren't used in projects, roleplay, artwork, or writing, either. In practice, most of these people pay to squat on a premade jpg.

Hey, I'll have you know we offer only the finest in premade psds.

On the other side of adoptables are bases, base templates that you can draw on top of in a variety of poses. Let's see some great ones now:

Forced kiss yaoi

quote:

~Rules~
- Credit me
- No Frankendolling
- No gender-bending for yaoi or yuri
- Send me a link of your finished product
- TAKE YOUR TIME AND MAKE IT GOOD!
- EDIT AS MUCH AS YOU WANT!
- Please Download for best quality

.:Girl Base 1:.

Slender Man X OC

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Mizuti posted:

I think a lot of this is essentially a form of donating to the artist without coming across as 'charity' from either party. A lot of the deviantart/furaffinity crowd have varying degrees of libertarian leanings where charity and donations are seen as crass but paying for art, even if you'll never use it and it's vastly underpriced, is viewed as more acceptable, so the artists churn out crappy sparkledogs and their fans buy them as a form of support that they can feel comfortable with. At least, that's how it started AFAIK, like Mizuti said there's a lot of cargo culting going on as well.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Do these adoptables people realize that DeviantArt owns all rights past, present, and future to literally anything you post there? I don't care if they're paying a grand a jpg DA are the only ones who legally own them.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

That's not true at all. Hot Topic will sure steal your art, though.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
Deviant Art only owns the right to get art displayed on search engines so people can actually find it. They can't monetise without consent. I think the biggest profile "Deviant Art stole my work!" case involved Adventure Time art, which was technically owned by Adventure Time/Cartoon Network so they were the ones to allow the use on shirts.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Ten Becquerels posted:

I have at least one internet acquaintance that makes up some adoptables when they need extra cash, 4 designs at a time for 20 bucks each, and they usually sell eventually. I guess there's a larger subset of people on the internet who want to have OCs without having to design or draw anything with disposable income than I thought. It's kind of weird but if people are buying recolours of the same design for 20 bucks a pop then why not get in on that sweet internet teenager cash?

I've gotten commissions to paint people's bought adoptables so some people do use them at least.

I need to get in on that racket but i cant think on DA's wierdass wavelength.

Mildly Amusing
May 2, 2012

room temperature

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic

Mizuti posted:

Some people like to have OCs not so they can create actual content with them, but so they can talk to other people who have OCs about their OCs and all of the terrible and sad things that would happen to them if they ever got around to producing anything.

That and people have been spending their money on poo poo they will never use since money appeared as a concept. I've bought stuff thinking of using it for something that I just never get around to doing, and the stuff ends up on a shelf or in the cupboard under the sink. At least a jpg doesn't take up room in your house, unlike vinyl figurines or whatever other useless poo poo people buy.

For content, someone whose gallery is nearly 300 pictures of random women coloured blue and talking about inflating. I don't think any of the women pictured know they've been turned into obscure fetish material.

Ten Becquerels has a new favorite as of 07:58 on Jul 11, 2016

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tofu Terry
Oct 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Postal Parcel posted:

Hey, I'll have you know we offer only the finest in premade psds.

On the other side of adoptables are bases, base templates that you can draw on top of in a variety of poses. Let's see some great ones now:

Forced kiss yaoi

:gonk:

Also here's a lovely tickling fetish gallery.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

wtf

that's not how you slice buns

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Many of those devices seem rather inefficiently and wastefully designed.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Slime posted:

wtf

that's not how you slice buns

Look at the hair - that's clearly a ginger bread.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

I DONT UNDERSTAND

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

corn in the bible posted:

I DONT UNDERSTAND

Search within yourself, deep down you know the truth!

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
It's always kind of a surprise when a DeviantArt fetish piece doesn't look like a child drew it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

I DONT UNDERSTAND

consult your fetish matrix and work backwards. this is basically algebra.

• Locked thread