Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

a neat cape posted:

Who is Ronnie Lott? Joe Montana?

Lynch isn't that really that famous. I have never, ever heard his name here in TFF or when I've been obsessively watching the NFL for the last 7 years.

For reference, I actually know who Steve Tasker is.

Gumbel2Gumbel fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I would pay Antonio Brown and not think twice about it. Ben is good but lets not pretend he throws the prettiest or most accurate passes and Emmanuel Sanders has done just fine without him. Mike Wallace ended up with Tannehill and Joe Flacco so it's not like he struck gold for himself aside from getting paid (also he is/was not as good as Brown either)

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Lynch isn't that really that famous. I have never, ever heard his name here in TFF or when I've been obsessively watching the NFL for the last 7 years.

I mean, I'd think that football fans would be generally aware of players that are most likely going to be in the Hall of fame at some point, but maybe I just paid more attention since Lynch was in my division

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

a neat cape posted:

I mean, I'd think that football fans would be generally aware of players that are most likely going to be in the Hall of fame at some point, but maybe I just paid more attention since Lynch was in my division

I think it's just because he was 1) a safety and 2) played for Tampa Bay.

Ed Reed will probably fly under the radar the same way for future fans

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Speaking of, the list of candidates for the hall of fame has been trimmed to 15.

1. LaDainian Tomlinson
2. Kevin Mawae
3. Brian Dawkins
4. Morten Anderson
5. Don Coryell
6. Terrell Owens
7. Jason Taylor
8. Tony Boselli
9. Kurt Warner
10. Isaac Bruce
11. Joe Jacoby
12. Alan Faneca
13. Terrell Davis
14. Ty Law
15. John Lynch

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

I don't even think of Lynch as a Bronco. Like I know he was there but he's always been a Buc to me. Also he might be in the hall of fame as soon as Saturday.

Those Bucs defenses were great for damned near a decade, Derrick Brooks, Sapp, Lynch, Ronde Barber. Apparently we need to talk about them more so G2G will know who these guys are.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Hiring John Lynch... Just putting another Niner in the HOF :smug:

loving kill me

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Grittybeard posted:

I don't even think of Lynch as a Bronco. Like I know he was there but he's always been a Buc to me. Also he might be in the hall of fame as soon as Saturday.

Those Bucs defenses were great for damned near a decade, Derrick Brooks, Sapp, Lynch, Ronde Barber. Apparently we need to talk about them more so G2G will know who these guys are.

I prefer highlight videos with stretched aspect ratios set to rap/nu-metal please

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
I didn't even realize Lynch was a Bronco. Always thought of him as a Buc/guy who called every other Seahawks game.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

I'm all for discussing the greatest superbowl since the merger

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I prefer highlight videos with stretched aspect ratios set to rap/nu-metal please

*any defensive player*

https://youtu.be/lhJfdWxpI2Q

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I remember John Lynch before TFF as the white safety who hit hard

Edit lmao 49ers what are you DOING

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

a neat cape posted:

Who is Joe Montana?

The guy who does/did those shoe commercials?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Lynch got a lot of credit for 1) being on the same team as Sapp and Brooks and 2) sticking around for awhile, but besides the announcing gig I don't see why youd know him more than whatever guard got to the Pro Bowl a bunch of times because no one cares about guards either.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Lynch got a lot of credit for 1) being on the same team as Sapp and Brooks and 2) sticking around for awhile, but besides the announcing gig I don't see why youd know him more than whatever guard got to the Pro Bowl a bunch of times because no one cares about guards either.

Safety's a higher visibility position than guard pretty easily, but I don't particularly care since you should also know who Will Shields and Randall McDaniel are.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Grittybeard posted:

Simeon Rice deserves more love.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

Safety's a higher visibility position than guard pretty easily, but I don't particularly care since you should also know who Will Shields and Randall McDaniel are.
I think there's a bit more prestige to safety now than before (re: when Lynch was good), but even still it's the lowest on the totem pole for defensive players. Atwater and Butler got very little traction for the Hall despite being "star" safeties on 2 of the prestige teams of their time.

Could the average fan (so not a casual but not some die hard) pick Shields or McDaniel out of a lineup? I really doubt it. Even more recently, who are the big name guards that would have actual name recognition? Would some guy who owned season tickets for a non-division team, played in 2 different Fantasy leagues and watched the first round of the draft every year have more than a passing understanding of who Jahri Evans is?

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

He was one of the best SS in the league for quite a while.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Could the average fan (so not a casual but not some die hard) pick Shields or McDaniel out of a lineup? I really doubt it. Even more recently, who are the big name guards that would have actual name recognition? Would some guy who owned season tickets for a non-division team, played in 2 different Fantasy leagues and watched the first round of the draft every year have more than a passing understanding of who Jahri Evans is?

They probably wouldn't be able to pick them out of a lineup, but they should recognize the names at least and have some vague idea they were recognized as good players. For current guys Marshal Yanda? David DeCastro for an even more recent example but he's only had a couple year run after being banged up to start his career. They probably don't have the name recognition of someone like Incognito, but that's what a scandal will do for you.

Regardless of any of that I think you're selling Lynch solely as a player short. I'd personally put Dawkins in the hall before him (and I'll be peeved if it goes the other way or if Lynch makes it and Dawkins never does), but he has a pretty good hall of fame case.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

lol Raider fans are really mad at Marquette King over this picture. It's not like 1 or 2, his comments are filled with the "how could you disrespect Crabtree like that" and snake emojis.

https://twitter.com/aqibtalib21/status/825906099257741312

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Metapod posted:

how do you guys not know who john lynch is?

I know who John Lynch is.

I assumed they were talking about some other John Lynch... because this makes zero fuckin' sense.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

For reference, I actually know who Steve Tasker is.

He's a color guy for 1 o'clock games. He does a lot of NFC:South, so although I never watched him play a snap, I know who he is by sight/voice.

He's probably going to be inducted into the hall of fame this August.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jan 30, 2017

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

The Ronde Barber disrespect is real.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jan 30, 2017

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Paperback Writer posted:

lol Raider fans are really mad at Marquette King over this picture. It's not like 1 or 2, his comments are filled with the "how could you disrespect Crabtree like that" and snake emojis.

https://twitter.com/aqibtalib21/status/825906099257741312

Yeah pretty hilarious

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Nodoze posted:

I would pay Antonio Brown and not think twice about it. Ben is good but lets not pretend he throws the prettiest or most accurate passes and Emmanuel Sanders has done just fine without him. Mike Wallace ended up with Tannehill and Joe Flacco so it's not like he struck gold for himself aside from getting paid (also he is/was not as good as Brown either)

Mike Wallace failed in Miami because he is not actually very good at football.

extendedsolo
Oct 14, 2005

Yes, this is going to hurt.

warcrimes posted:

He was one of the best SS in the league for quite a while.

What made him more popular is that he would deliver massive hits to guys, always more memorable.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Someone make a Super Bowl week thread so I can post my cat in a Matt Catt Ryan jersey.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Metapod posted:

how do you guys not know who john lynch is?

I know who John Lynch the football player is, just assumed John Lynch the GM would have some relevant experience.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

extendedsolo posted:

What made him more popular is that he would deliver massive hits to guys, always more memorable.

Well, not to him

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Like if they had said Troy Polamalu is the new GM I'd have just laughed immediately.

extendedsolo
Oct 14, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

The Ronde Barber disrespect is real.

It just blows me away how that team doesn't get talked about more. I mean they loving ROLLED through the playoffs. There was all of this talk about "GREAT OFFENSE OF OAKLAND VS THE GREAT DEFENSE WHO WILL WIN!?!?!" The score isn't similar, but it was pretty similar to the Panthers/Broncos super bowl and the Seahawks/Broncos. Just complete domination and Oakland was never really in it at all. I also am surprised how little love those Eagles teams get. They were really really good for a several years in a row, just never won a super bowl even though they had a team that could do it almost every year.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/826059785275658240

print the shirts

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Safety has become a much more high-profile position, especially with the proliferation of spread offenses.

It's not a position for poor athletes anymore.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
hot take: Rothelisberger is teasing/threatening retirement to force the Steelers to move Brown out of the org

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hot take: The Pro Bowl sucks.

extendedsolo
Oct 14, 2005

TheChirurgeon posted:

hot take: Rothelisberger is teasing/threatening retirement to force the Steelers to move Brown out of the org

That's ok, I"m sure Brown will make a fine addition to the Eagles next year.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

iospace posted:

Hot take: The Pro Bowl sucks.

counterpoint: https://clips.clippit.tv/amxyl/720.mp4

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Chilichimp posted:

counterpoint: *snipped*

One good play does not mean the thing as a whole didn't suck :colbert:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

iospace posted:

One good play does not mean the thing as a whole didn't suck :colbert:

I don't know, one play made superbowl 48 worth watching.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

extendedsolo posted:

That's ok, I"m sure Brown will make a fine addition to the Eagles next year.

sorry but there's a place all the talented malcontents go and it's not the eagles

lookin forward to Brady2Brown next year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Chilichimp posted:

I don't know, one play made superbowl 48 worth watching.

The ball sailing over :manning:'s head?

• Locked thread