Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kelp Plankton posted:

that was a really good episode. honestly, it feels like dragonball super might be at it's high point right now. whatever comes next will have a hard time being more fun and interesting than this, and the rapid-fire cool concepts we're seeing like these namekians and the black hole attack will be hard to top if they just go back to the badguys who are Really Strong. i hope Jiren has some interesting stuff going on once he's actually challenged and isn't just another big strong dude

It really does make me feel like Super is nearing its end. All these cool and nostalgic moments have a last hurrah sort of vibe to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Also the end with Vegeta being sad at Cabba being erased and showing it the only way he knows how is cute.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

The best episode of super so far. The erasure was done well and the fights looked awesome.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

The Kami/Nail scene was really cool, even if it was super short. I imagine this is what it's like all the time for fused Namekians. Great, great episode.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

This just makes me wish ToP was YYH Dark Tournament style instead of a battle royale.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What a beautiful goddamn episode

Just, top of the heap here.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Kelp Plankton posted:

that was a really good episode. honestly, it feels like dragonball super might be at it's high point right now. whatever comes next will have a hard time being more fun and interesting than this, and the rapid-fire cool concepts we're seeing like these namekians and the black hole attack will be hard to top if they just go back to the badguys who are Really Strong. i hope Jiren has some interesting stuff going on once he's actually challenged and isn't just another big strong dude

TrilliontonNixon posted:

It really does make me feel like Super is nearing its end. All these cool and nostalgic moments have a last hurrah sort of vibe to them.

We literally just had a bad guy who wasn't especially strong, but took over Goku's body and became the universe. Super has a while left in it for sure. They haven't even started scratching the whole 'mortals are not the playthings of gods' thing they've been pushing since ep1.

This episode was absolutely amazing. Seeing an episode dedicated to exclusively team fights make me wish they had really done the ToP as team fights through and through, rather than mostly 1v1 matches. This episode single handedly redeemed U2 for me, and I was generally surprised by the transformations and actually putting up a fight. Having a (short) 3v3 there really upped it, and 18 getting into the heel thing with 17 was the absolute bomb. Their ending was just so U2. No other real way to describe it. They gave it their all, their universe knows they gave it everything they had, and rather than go out with a whimper or anger, U2 kept to their upbeat and positive guns until their complete erasure. It was so consistent with them, especially after Brianne told them all to keep positive, that I wouldn't want it any other way.

The Gohan/Piccolo vs Namekians fight was stellar. Gohan still has a lot of catching up to do this arc, but he made up for a good portion of it this episode. He realized his mistake and quickly recovered, going as hard as he could for victory. Having Piccolo see Kami and NAIL to remind him of the Namekian bond he carries inside himself was great. That whole fight had some cool stuff. Being willing to have your arms blown off to hold an opponent, grabbing Gohan through the kamehameha, and the subsequent special beam cannon for the finisher just felt so perfect. Gohan and Piccolo haven't really impressed much this tournament, but this fight alone feels like it justified them being in the tournament. The U6 erasure was tugging at the heartstrings for sure. The Saiyan kids are just kids. They aren't going to let this be a moment of misery for them, and I think all of U6 kinda caught that infectious attitude. Not to mention they know U7 has their back. The ending bit with Champa being a little fucker up until the very last second is so in character for him that it felt great to see him still being him. Beerus' emotion was palpable in that moment, and having Vegeta clearly ready to express his sorrow through violence was perfect.

This episode hit all the high notes: good and consistent character actions, great combat and choreography, solid animation, and reactions to the scale of the ToP that made complete sense. The special and beyond of ToP has been some of the best Dragonball has ever had, and I am hoping it just continues this upswing all the way through the next 4 months.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Little Mac posted:

The Kami/Nail scene was really cool, even if it was super short. I imagine this is what it's like all the time for fused Namekians. Great, great episode.

There's no way Toriyama wrote that scene cause there's no way in hell he remembers who Nail is.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

18 - the goddess of U7 who defeated the goddess Ribrianne!
17 - the warrior who defeated Kakunsa!
Goku - I'm Goku :downs:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Champa loving owned right up until the very end, and continues to own in our hearts and souls

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Babe Magnet posted:

Champa loving owned right up until the very end, and continues to own in our hearts and souls

Champs, Gowasu, this tournament has been a bloodbath for likable gods.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

also that kami/nail scene weirdly makes the TFS take on nail and kami sticking around in piccolo's head post-fusion very, very close to canonical now

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Quick, someone forcefeed Beerus some lard so we can have Champa back.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Episode was great.

And it contained the Most Goku Line Ever:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm very sad all my cool universe 6 friends are dead. Even if just for a time. They've been one of my favourite parts of super. :(

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Blaise330 posted:

There's no way Toriyama wrote that scene cause there's no way in hell he remembers who Nail is.

This even happened in Z, where there was a callback to Nail when Dende makes the second earth dragon balls and it was anime-only.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

U2 and U6 both had metal as hell endings, I can't wait to see them come back

Vados had the funniest scene though, and we really didn't deserve Champa though

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

This was one of the best episodes of the ToP:

- Hell must have frozen over because Big Green actually did something
- They actually made U2 funny
- Champa, troll to the end :unsmith:
- The Androids getting into the act
- The U6 Namekians' fusion gimmick was really cool

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
that episode had me choking up. Everyone's nailed all the good parts this episode. I love that Gohan protected Piccolo, and that we saw a for real callback to Piccolo's fusions. U2 is great, I'll miss U6 while they're gone. Dragonball is so good.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
Very dignified episode, that transformation was genuinely hilarious, the U6 Namekian's were a very gracious duo and cool dudes all round (hardcore AF too, the way they were willing to sacrifice their limbs for victory was intense). 17 and 18 hamming it up was beautiful and Goku being oblivious but happy to be there was magnificent. Vados weeping for her fat cat but already chilling with her bro was aces.

Perfect blend of typical DragonBall humour, action and characterization, one of the best episodes they've done.

RIP that guy facing off against Vegeta.

snickothemule fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 3, 2017

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
No wonder why Brianne didn't want her transformation interrupted lol

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
This episode kinda blew me away with how good it was, and that they managed to give us a recap, two co-current fights and two death scenes and still have it not feel rushed. The idea of having what is essentially the entire Namekian race band together to fight is rad as hell and also pretty terrifying with how they showed it. we even got to see the remnants of Nail and Kami essentially force Piccolo to get a grip and fight for real, poo poo was real good.

Also even though the fight scenes were dramatic I couldn't help but laugh every time the Namekians' arms got blown off. I also appreciate Pirina's use of the clothes beam to get his glove back.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Champa was the true hero of DB Super :unsmith:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Also in the midst of all that sadness was it just me or did Whis say Goku was basically making it harder for himself to hit UI

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Kashuno posted:

Also in the midst of all that sadness was it just me or did Whis say Goku was basically making it harder for himself to hit UI

i thought he was saying goku was making it easier for himself to achieve UI but to be honest i still don't totally get the 'breaking the shell' thing whis keeps coming back to

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Brother Entropy posted:

i thought he was saying goku was making it easier for himself to achieve UI but to be honest i still don't totally get the 'breaking the shell' thing whis keeps coming back to

Pretty sure it means that Goku pushes himself to his limit, and that isn't enough. So he finds a way to go beyond that. Whis is saying that Goku's been doing that so much during the ToP that his limit is now effectively higher than it was before.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kashuno posted:

He did. He basically said that Goku's getting used to being in excessive situations so it's harder for him to reach the point of limit breaking. I guess to explain how he can be getting his poo poo wrecked and not go UI.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Kashuno posted:

Basically, but now as goku is getting more and more exposed to extremes he basically can't hit quite that same high anymore so it's gonna take something even crazier for him to get back to UI.

Although that's easy enough to miss I guess, there was so much about actual cool and good characters in this episode a moment with a loser character like Goku isn't very memorable.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

snickothemule posted:

RIP that guy facing off against Vegeta.

Seriously. He's got a top-tier beating coming to him, and he's not even the one that pissed 'geets off.

OB_Juan fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 3, 2017

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

TrilliontonNixon posted:

Pretty sure it means that Goku pushes himself to his limit, and that isn't enough. So he finds a way to go beyond that. Whis is saying that Goku's been doing that so much during the ToP that his limit is now effectively higher than it was before.

huh, that's pretty interesting

honestly when UI first hit i was kinda surprised they were busting out the hot new form so early in the tournament but i like the roadblocks they've been setting up showing that goku really did just fall into this and has gotta learn how to deal with it mid-tournament(since he's gonna need it next time jiren's doing poo poo)

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
Goku's basically a drug addict except instead of heroin it's getting beaten up by people stronger than him. He needs larger and larger doses to get punched harder and harder in order to get a high reach UI.

Also, I really wanted to see more interaction/dialogue between the U6 Namekians and Piccolo/Gohan. What we got was great, but there's still so much potential there. There had better be a 'Everyone visits U6' arc or something after the TOP.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

^^^ Agreed. After seeing how great the Namekian duo was, as amazing as this episode was I REALLY wish we had more time seeing them. The noodly arms and mouth cannon were a great reminder of how weirdly fun it is when Namekians fight. Also Kami and Nail are actually Piccolo's headmates lol, DBZA is canon confirmed

Goku is cool and all but I still wish they would give him less attention when he's not in UI. At least Vegeta will clearly be doing stuff soon

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
The fact that a blu ray kamehameha was warped moving through that gravity heart is pretty crazy. Goku was tired sure, but that had to be pushing 1000+ Gs. Vegeta would casually stroll out of it

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

extra row of teeth posted:

^^^ Agreed. After seeing how great the Namekian duo was, as amazing as this episode was I REALLY wish we had more time seeing them. The noodly arms and mouth cannon were a great reminder of how weirdly fun it is when Namekians fight. Also Kami and Nail are actually Piccolo's headmates lol, DBZA is canon confirmed

Goku is cool and all but I still wish they would give him less attention when he's not in UI. At least Vegeta will clearly be doing stuff soon

I mean we'll probably see them again at some point when U6 gets wished back

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

I mean we'll probably see them again at some point when U6 gets wished back

Well yeah there's no way in hell they're killing off so many marketable and already established characters in Hit, the Saiyans, etc. but I have a bad feeling other members of U6 (Botamo, Magetta, the Namekians) won't ever get the focus on them again.

Namekians are probably the best race in the series but aren't allowed to get the spotlight because reasons.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

I'm glad everyone is on the same page, because this episode was awesome. Laughing the entire way through with no dead beats, 10/10.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Goodnight Champa, might you find earth food in the nothingness you are now :smith:

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

All of these characters better be seen again. They're way more interesting now than the cast we've been with for decades. I'm not even that hyped for FighterZ now because it's not gonna have anybody new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

U6 will return for sure. The other universes are up in the air, but I bet they'll survive somehow.