Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

FoolyCharged posted:

I'm laughing at the idea that voting in Texas matters. The cities are the majority of the population and blue as hell, yet somehow the only place Republicans lose is the local races in those cities.

Actual Democratic politicians in Texas lean more centrist/conservative than in other states and the state Democratic party leaders seem determined to keep it that way. I think a lot of Dem voters in Texas are just completely burned out on that and want a candidate who promises actual progressive change, which is part of the reason someone like Beto O'Rourke almost beat Ted Cruz several years back. Unfortunately the state party leaders are very VERY brokebrained and steadfastly refuse to back more candidates like Beto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Oh man you just made me think about Kinky Friedman for the first time since 2006.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Gilberto Hinojosa is a worthless deadbeat rear end DINO

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

I. M. Gei posted:

Actual Democratic politicians in Texas lean more centrist/conservative than in other states and the state Democratic party leaders seem determined to keep it that way. I think a lot of Dem voters in Texas are just completely burned out on that and want a candidate who promises actual progressive change, which is part of the reason someone like Beto O'Rourke almost beat Ted Cruz several years back. Unfortunately the state party leaders are very VERY brokebrained and steadfastly refuse to back more candidates like Beto.

The feeling there is no one anywhere in state politics (and to be fair, outside of one or two outsiders, no one in ANY u.s. state politics) who represents what I want is infuriating and discouraging.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Tenkaris posted:

Oh man you just made me think about Kinky Friedman for the first time since 2006.

The bowling balls guy? Cool dude.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

What a waste of money so gently caress you.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

wonder if they bought that with the opioid settlement money?

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

I think instead of buying monstertrucks we instead save lives with public transportation, less cars, and less cops.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

How do you even climb up that thing?

How do you place a handcuffed suspect into the backseat, or do you throw them on the truckbed?

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Issaries posted:

How do you place a handcuffed suspect into the backseat, or do you throw them on the truckbed?

You just run them over and scrape them into a cup.

naem
May 29, 2011

https://youtu.be/cLts-sXlLEM?si=7NxgVUBS_r7UJ9S-

Anchor Wanker
May 14, 2015
Re: chud pardon

Thats the ways its always been. Fash protect their brownshirts. If you dont like that you have to shoot them before they shoot you. And dont stop till you know they cant come back. Simple as, its the only method that works at this point.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

pig rear end bitch sows

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Grey Cat posted:

I think instead of buying monstertrucks we instead save lives with public transportation, less cars, and less cops.

You've never been to Austin TX, have you?

Things like public transportation and less cars do not, and cannot, exist there, partly because the entire road infrastructure is crumbling poo poo that the city and voters refuse to fix. They have busses, yes, but the routes make no sense and the city just isn't made to be livable without a car and it never ever will be no matter what they do. People claim that it is but they're all lying idiots.

As for cops, Austin cops have this rule where they approach everyone in pairs of two, no matter how small the infraction, and it sucks. I once got stopped by a pair of cops for jaywalking on a completely empty street, and they were so eager to bust me for this that they parked on top of a loving road median. All because I didn't wait for the walk light at a crosswalk on a tiny one-lane street with zero cars in sight. Austin also has one of the highest numbers of speed traps of any city in the US, so there's that too.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 17, 2024

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Issaries posted:

With a step-ladder.

I'm a short fucker and I've encountered a lot of pickup trucks I couldn't climb into without grabbing onto something or getting on my hands and knees (and sometimes not even then if I'm wearing khaki pants and can't lift my legs very high). For a truck that size they'd either need to give me a step-ladder or physically lift me up into it themselves, and since Austin-area cops are assholes I wouldn't be shocked if they ticketed me for having to do either.

That said, I highly doubt they're using that behemoth as a patrol vehicle. It's probably just for showing off at photo ops and PR events and poo poo.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
The truck has a pair of steps that come down for the front and rear doors. You can see them in the picture above the running board.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

I. M. Gei posted:

You've never been to Austin TX, have you?

Things like public transportation and less cars do not, and cannot, exist there, partly because the entire road infrastructure is crumbling poo poo that the city and voters refuse to fix. They have busses, yes, but the routes make no sense and the city just isn't made to be livable without a car and it never ever will be no matter what they do. People claim that it is but they're all lying idiots.

As for cops, Austin cops have this rule where they approach everyone in pairs of two, no matter how small the infraction, and it sucks. I once got stopped by a pair of cops for jaywalking on a completely empty street, and they were so eager to bust me for this that they parked on top of a loving road median. All because I didn't wait for the walk light at a crosswalk on a tiny one-lane street with zero cars in sight. Austin also has one of the highest numbers of speed traps of any city in the US, so there's that too.

texas hates austin so goddamn much. cops all 24/7 desperate to bust some hippies and/or californians so they can keep the fear of god in those kids over at UT. it’s hilarious

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

lol texas is a total loving shithole top-to-bottom and it's real funny how much poo poo texans talk about new mexico when it's prettier and has legal weed and constitutionally-enshrined abortion

nm is a poverty-stricken shithole, don't get me wrong, but it ain't whatever the gently caress confederate nightmare texas is

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

TrashMammal posted:

texas hates austin so goddamn much. cops all 24/7 desperate to bust some hippies and/or californians so they can keep the fear of god in those kids over at UT. it’s hilarious

They should bust the Californians more. Most of the ones moving to Austin are chuds anyway.

Bruce Bochte
Oct 15, 2021

Get out the rye bread and mustard grandma, it's GRAND SALAMI TIME!
I had to go to College Station for a conference last week and was mocked for walking to the hotel rather than taking an Uber. It was less than a mile away.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

MrQwerty posted:

lol texas is a total loving shithole top-to-bottom

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Bruce Bochte posted:

I had to go to College Station for a conference last week and was mocked for walking to the hotel rather than taking an Uber. It was less than a mile away.

College Station is a very special kind of stupid even by Texas standards. It's where Texas A&M University is, and I don't even know how to begin describing what that means or all the myriad ways it makes the place stupid to an uninitiated person.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

one time they killed a bunch of students stacking logs to set them on fire

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

My favorite thing about Texas A&M is when Johnny Manziel “couldn’t wait to get the gently caress out of College Station.”

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Texas A&M was my dream college when I was young and wanted to be a meteorologist. I think I may have dodged a bullet there.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
In Texas that’s no mean feat.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
I will always love A&M

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

MrQwerty posted:

lol texas is a total loving shithole top-to-bottom

Live here, for now.
Can confirm.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
It is. Its home but it is. Here's some photos i took while driving through a nearby county;

I was told after this the concertina wire is there to make it slightly more difficult for the cartels to dump corpses, as apparently that's one of their favorite spots

Full albums:

https://imgchest.com/p/5xy2e6gmjyl

https://imgchest.com/p/5xy2e6gjjyl

https://imgchest.com/p/m9yxvoqaq4q

https://imgchest.com/p/lqyevbzeq7d

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 18, 2024

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Texas A&M was my dream college when I was young and wanted to be a meteorologist. I think I may have dodged a bullet there.

You probably would've been better off going to OU or Texas Tech. OU's meteorology program is one of their crown jewels and TTU has a Ph.D. program in wind engineering.

What's funny is that Texas A&M is legit one of the best institutions in the world at any kind of life sciences, agriculture, and veterinary sciences. They just also have one of the dumbest and silliest cultures you can possibly imagine to go along with it, that they're very very proud of because they're all kinda brainwashed by it.

TrashMammal posted:

one time they killed a bunch of students stacking logs to set them on fire

There've been entire books written about A&M and all the things that make it so hilariously stupid. I could type up a whole effortpost on the subject and I might if the thread hangs onto the topic long enough.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

My favorite thing about Texas A&M is when Johnny Manziel “couldn’t wait to get the gently caress out of College Station.”

lol my dad actually taught Johnny Manziel in high school and I didn't find that out until about a year ago. Sucks that he turned out to be a shithead but that's what east Texas does to a guy.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

I. M. Gei posted:

There've been entire books written about A&M and all the things that make it so hilariously stupid. I could type up a whole effortpost on the subject and I might if the thread hangs onto the topic long enough.

A topic solely on how much Texas loving sucks would probably get lot of traffic, would be filled to the brim with valid reasons why, and also be updated near daily of brand new reasons why it's vying for the worst state in the union! :eng101:

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

My parents met at TAMU, my older sister and I both went there. I really, REALLY should have stayed in Dallas and gone to UTD.

The interactions you have with Longhorn and Raider folk are always fun, I don't really wear any Aggie shirts or anything anymore but gosh people take these things very seriously and you always wonder if it's a family tradition, an alumni, or just someone who never even went there and is mostly just rooting against the Aggie football team.

But the Aggies and all their weird nonsense rituals are just too funny not to make fun of, so I understand. I loving hated going to football games as a kid and not being about to sit down! :argh:

But yeah, weird school, started out military so strong rotc tradition and they use male yell leaders at football games, they're dorks that are very proud of being farmers

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Stand your ground laws are just so loving absurd.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Tenkaris posted:

But yeah, weird school, started out military so strong rotc tradition

Has A&M ever actually been a real military school? I know they used to require all students to join the Corps of Cadets, but as far as I know the Corps has never had any affiliation with the US military and isn't an ROTC group. It's literally just a fake army.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I. M. Gei posted:

Has A&M ever actually been a real military school? I know they used to require all students to join the Corps of Cadets, but as far as I know the Corps has never had any affiliation with the US military and isn't an ROTC group. It's literally just a fake army.

Yeah, I have no idea, and am looking at wiki pages right now

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_A%26M_University_Corps_of_Cadets

quote:

As established under federal law, Texas A&M is one of six U.S. colleges classified as senior military colleges and is the largest.

Which uh

quote:

In the United States, a senior military college (SMC) is one of six colleges that offer military Reserve Officers' Training Corps (ROTC) programs under 10 U.S.C. § 2111a(f), though many other schools offer military Reserve Officers' Training Corps under other sections of the law. The six senior military colleges are:

Norwich University, in Northfield, Vermont
Texas A&M University, in College Station, Texas
The Citadel, in Charleston, South Carolina
University of North Georgia, in Dahlonega, Georgia
Virginia Military Institute, in Lexington, Virginia
Virginia Tech, in Blacksburg, Virginia

So yeah it's just an ROTC but I guess being named in this federal law is why it's specially referred to as a "military school" :shrug:

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
rear end To mouth University

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Chief McHeath posted:

rear end To mouth University

every time i see their dumb logo, i think this

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Tenkaris posted:

Yeah, I have no idea, and am looking at wiki pages right now

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_A%26M_University_Corps_of_Cadets

Which uh

So yeah it's just an ROTC but I guess being named in this federal law is why it's specially referred to as a "military school" :shrug:

The funny thing is absolutely loving nobody gives a poo poo in the military if you went to one of these schools. I didn't even know "senior military colleges" was a thing. I wouldn't even say the military academies are that important other than for network effects of having so many graduates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Well, it makes a difference if you become an officer. That's a bit of a pay bump.