Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Chief McHeath posted:

rear end To mouth University

Now I’m back on board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Mustang posted:

The funny thing is absolutely loving nobody gives a poo poo in the military if you went to one of these schools. I didn't even know "senior military colleges" was a thing. I wouldn't even say the military academies are that important other than for network effects of having so many graduates.

they all come with extensive good ol’ boy networks that are extremely helpful post-commission

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

TrashMammal posted:

they all come with extensive good ol’ boy networks that are extremely helpful post-commission

University of north Georgia has a good old boy network?

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

maybe not that one

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

:hmmyes: That's definitely a drug seizure truck for funsies driving on the taxpayer dime

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Mistle posted:

:hmmyes: That's definitely a drug seizure truck for funsies driving on the taxpayer dime

Let's not even go that far, since Civil forfieture doesn't even need a determination of guilt. That truck may or may not have been proceeds of drug trade.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
The 2 right wing parties pushing against the people who demand change are eventually gonna push the country into a civil war and my sissy rear end is not ready for that.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I'm more inclined to believe the "little bit worse every day" theory of decline. Things get more expensive. Your quality of life slowly goes down. Stuff like water, electricity, and internet get unreliable. And then one day on your way to work you see a dead body but you try not to let it bother you.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

wash bucket posted:

I'm more inclined to believe the "little bit worse every day" theory of decline. Things get more expensive. Your quality of life slowly goes down. Stuff like water, electricity, and internet get unreliable. And then one day on your way to work you see a dead body but you try not to let it bother you.

I’ve been surfing the survival food websites but I really don’t have the space for 4 grand worth of freeze-dried cheezy potatoes.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

wash bucket posted:

But we already did all that?

Seriously, it's depressing how many 911 calls are third parties that are no longer on location. Just people that couldn't even be assed to stop, roll down their window, and ask the person if they were OK. Instead, they just keep on driving.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Sorry I'm going to be late, boss, there was an accident

No, i don't need to use any pto days to go to the hospital.

I'm ok, it wasn't me in the accident. No, it wasn't my family either, it was someone in a green car, they look kind of old.

No my car's not broken, I'm waiting on an ambulance.

No, it's not for me i already told you i wasn't hit, I'm trying to make sure they're-- Right, ok, I'll be there within the hour.

... Yes i know policy is to call at least 4 hours on advance of being late, there was an accident... okay fine, apply an hour of pto to this morning so i don't get the Three Strikes Demerit

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

emSparkly posted:

The 2 right wing parties pushing against the people who demand change are eventually gonna push the country into a civil war and my sissy rear end is not ready for that.

stop reading politics threads if you can't filter and/or compartmentalize it

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Sentient Data posted:

No, i don't need to use any pto days to go to the hospital.

I'm ok, it wasn't me in the accident. No, it wasn't my family either, it was someone in a green car, they look kind of old.

No, it's not for me i already told you i wasn't hit, I'm trying to make sure they're-- Right, ok, I'll be there within the hour.

... Yes i know policy is to call at least 4 hours on advance of being late, there was an accident... okay fine, apply an hour of pto to this morning so i don't get the Three Strikes Demerit

As a witness, have the cop man give you a note on the back of a citation that you were detained or something as a witness. Remind him he can after-shift by your HR and follow up on your being detained for an accident witness, with the bonus that "it's overtime pay, baby" while doing you a solid to wipe the demerit.

It's gross to quid pro quo a cop just to keep the PTO for being a responsible citizen, but it's America, welcome to the game :shrug:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Sentient Data posted:

No, i don't need to use any days to go to the hospital.

Taking a minute or two to actually verify it's an actual emergency before calling the emergency number won't lose them their job.The ems system gets slammed with people not bothering to verify if it's an actual emergency before calling on someone else they don't know. It's depressingly common to be on a wild goose chase when a shooting, fire, cardiac arrest, or some other actual emergency is going on in the area that the unit is supposed to be covering which means that emergency gets a slower response because now dispatch has to pull someone else out of their territory, which means that not only is the response to the actual emergency delayed, when a call drops for their territory....

Also, let's say it does turn out to be real:
If their boss will penalize them for being, what, 10-15 minutes late at maximum because of a once in a lifetime emergency:
1) they should probably get job hunting because that ain't a healthy workplace and the emergency could have been a car accident that clogged up the freeway or any other number of common reasons to be delayed on their way into work.
2) Is this not the same thread where we repeatedly point out that human lives are more important than stuff? Is that where we're going to place the value of a human life, 20-40 bucks?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

And of course, all of this is missing the main point of my original post, which is that we already live in a society that will drive past potential emergencies and try not to think about it too hard. Regardless of if you think the reaction is appropriate, we have reached the dystopia the poster I was responding to described.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

I'm genuinely glad for you that you don't understand how tenuous of a grasp many people have on not being homeless, your questions at the end are only relevant in a society that actually cares about people

vvv: wasn't supposed to be an argument in the first place :shrug:

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 20, 2024

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Sentient Data posted:

I'm genuinely glad for you that you don't understand how tenuous of a grasp many people have on not being homeless, your questions at the end are only relevant in a society that actually cares about people

As someone who has been there and in fact, quite regularly works with not just that group but also all the homeless people that are trapped beneath even that bar:

Their workplaces work very hard to make sure that none of those people have PTO to worry about using.

And all this arguing is predicated on the assumption that everyone who calls 911 without stopping only encounters potential emergencies on the commute into work.

And also

FoolyCharged posted:

And of course, all of this is missing the main point of my original post, which is that we already live in a society that will drive past potential emergencies and try not to think about it too hard. Regardless of if you think the reaction is appropriate, we have reached the dystopia the poster I was responding to described.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 20, 2024

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

FoolyCharged posted:

Had a friend who had a 12V battery in his clunker die, and someone stopped to help with a 6V car which couldn't help but turns out they "didn't have the time" and wanted to leave; the cop told them they can't just up and leave because stopping to render aid has the obligation to remain until aid is rendered, and it could have been something to get arrested/fined over.

Also stopping to render aid is how :airquote: a lot of people :airquote: get tricked into being victims of roadside robberies. It's not common, but does exist.

Tons of CYA in the U.S.A. It all sucks, but you can't help others if you can't help yourself. Some people either definitely don't care or they learned a victimizing lesson about offering help without forethought, and the latter eats some people up.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

MrQwerty posted:

stop reading politics threads if you can't filter and/or compartmentalize it

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
The other week everyone got an email at work urging us to be careful leaving the building because there was as suspected active shooter spotted in the area. As it turns out though, that wasn’t exactly accurate. Reading the paper today it turns out the incident in question wasn’t an active shooter, just a hate crime. Yay.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I'm most likely going to end up moving from abroad to NYC for work, but I'm not sure what good to expect besides legal weed. It just seems like everything is continuously going to poo poo in America these days, especially now with the constant price hikes and cost of living increases for nothing in return. And now I'm hearing that Biden and co are trying to put 100% tariffs on Chinese EVs despite objectively outclassing us in terms of efficiency and affordability.

And yet, despite all of this, there is still somehow a solid contingent of people who will insist that the US is the best country in the world, has the best quality of life, is the freest place on Earth, etc. I just can't wrap my around this level of mental density. :psyduck: Please help explain this to me as someone who has spent over half a decade abroad now.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Don't come back idiot

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

MrQwerty posted:

Don't come back idiot

For what I want to do, it's going to take a few years back in the US then likely moving abroad again after developing fluency in a different language/getting my master's. For some reason companies abroad still hold American degrees and company experience in high regard.

e: for more specific context, I've been working in English-based editing in China for the past few years now, but want to switch to advertising so I've mostly hit a glass ceiling here as far as career progression goes. I'm hoping to work a few years in the US and develop my Japanese fluency so I can move back out of the US as soon as I hit N2/N1 fluency and have some good work experience/an MS in Strategic Communications under my belt. So yeah, when looked at in the abstract moving back to the US is dumb, but in my specific case it makes sense. Plus my dad is getting up there in terms of age and I missed my mom passing away due to Covid and being stuck in China, so I'd rather not go through that twice.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 13:15 on May 25, 2024

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Lol

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
tesla needs competition from chinese cars it's true

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

MrQwerty posted:

Don't come back idiot

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
cops kill 10000 dogs a year. More than 25 a day, and those are the ones that get some kind of documentation

Seth edit: why the hell would you embed a tweet of a cop shooting a dog? What is wrong with you?

https://x.com/davenewworld_2/status/1794103267070288255

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 26, 2024

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I'm most likely going to end up moving from abroad to NYC for work, but I'm not sure what good to expect besides legal weed.

If you're sufficiently rich and not planning to have kids you'll be more or less fine.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

And yet, despite all of this, there is still somehow a solid contingent of people who will insist that the US is the best country in the world, has the best quality of life, is the freest place on Earth, etc. I just can't wrap my around this level of mental density. :psyduck: Please help explain this to me as someone who has spent over half a decade abroad now.

If I've learned anything from the last decade or so it's that I don't understand my fellow Americans either. I thought I did. I was wrong.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Chief McHeath posted:

cops kill 10000 dogs a year. More than 25 a day, and those are the ones that get some kind of documentation

Seth edit: removed the quote tweet of, again, a dog getting shot

its time to arm the dogs

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 26, 2024

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

These people never go anywhere. All they know is Fox News and Facebook.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I'm most likely going to end up moving from abroad to NYC for work, but I'm not sure what good to expect besides legal weed. It just seems like everything is continuously going to poo poo in America these days, especially now with the constant price hikes and cost of living increases for nothing in return. And now I'm hearing that Biden and co are trying to put 100% tariffs on Chinese EVs despite objectively outclassing us in terms of efficiency and affordability.

Buy an American EV you communist.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

do you really want the concept of nationalism explained to you or are you just venting? people will deny reality when it is convenient to their narrative, its been going on for a very long time in many places. you can find the same kinds of people in plenty of other countries, the US just has more of them than many others and they are louder because thats who's in control here.

anyway the legal weed in nyc is, on average, lovely and extremely overpriced. either find a reliable gray market person/service or go over to nj to an actual dispensary. dont go to any of those lovely "clubs" in manhattan

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Chief McHeath posted:

[A pretty uncool dog murder tweet here]

If violence against a police canine is charged as a full-fledged member of law enforcement--with human-granted considerations--then defending your dog from a feral hog would also qualify as "justified defense"...
... is what I'd like to see happen, but someone has to do big chunky cop-killer time to get that double-standard thrown out.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

For what I want to do, it's going to take a few years back in the US then likely moving abroad again after developing fluency in a different language/getting my master's. For some reason companies abroad still hold American degrees and company experience in high regard.

For all the poo poo America gets, most of the university programs have solid results from graduates, and the lovely pay-to-win Ivy League places at least come with a big money backing for failsons and faildaughters who fail upwards in companies; those are hires to get connections, them actually being minimally competent is a bonus.

For all the nuance you have for where you live in China, you don't have that insight for the city in the U.S. you're planning to move to. And NYC? The Chinese diaspora is pretty strong there, you should find them as welcoming as if you were in China, for all that implies.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Buy cars made in union plants please.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Chief McHeath posted:

I don't wanna be that guy, but did you really need to post the actual tweet with the video of a dog getting murdered? I feel like that's a pretty clear case of "please just post a screenshot instead".

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

A thumbnail is a screenshot. I didn't click it, you don't have to.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
a Dorner in every precinct :inshallah:

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Beastie posted:

A thumbnail is a screenshot. I didn't click it, you don't have to.

Also the tweet literally says it's the actual footage and at what timestamp the dog gets shot so it's not like you could click it expecting a sanitised news report or something.

E: or is it actual gore? I'm assuming it doesn't show the dog literally bleeding out and dying.

Taeke fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I easily avoided clicking on the video.