Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Is there something more official than this lawyer that would have details?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

Motronic posted:

Just a suggestion, but perhaps some media library grooming like the *rrs, or Ersatz TV to make "channels" out of your existing content? Low stakes, doesn't matter if its down for now, but it's real work being one on a linux box that can get you comfortable with it.

Those are great suggestions, but unfortunately I've already gotten those exact same services setup on the windows server.

I did realize that since I'm using the spare machine I had for unraid, it means I lost a tdarr node that was previously on windows. I think tdarr works with unraid, so that's what I'll try working on tomorrow.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Doing the questionnaire I fit every question they answered to a T except the very last one which was "Did you have a facebook account linked to plex while active on plex?" I answered no and it instantly said they would not represent and kicked me off.

So, I presume this is some potentially illicit data sharing thing with FB?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Chillmatic posted:

Those are great suggestions, but unfortunately I've already gotten those exact same services setup on the windows server.

I did realize that since I'm using the spare machine I had for unraid, it means I lost a tdarr node that was previously on windows. I think tdarr works with unraid, so that's what I'll try working on tomorrow.

its p easy on unraid, check spaceinvader vids on youtube if you need help imo

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Chillmatic posted:

The problem with "don't mess with your plex server if it's already working" is that there aren't any other hobbyist projects that I care about enough to push me into learning what I need to learn, and as mentioned above the work I do is not reasonably possible on linux.

I'm curious what kind of music production you do; I also use windows for this (Ableton, Bitwig, VCVRack) but I'm down a rabbit hole of eurorack and video synthesis and so my periphery is absolutely full of other VHS sickos and weirdos, many of whom are using Reaper on linux or other *nix solutions and making music & video well beyond my own personal capabilities. I think almost anything that's possible on windows is possible on linux, in music land, it's just a question of what you find "reasonable". Ableton has actually been officially ported to Linux over the past several years; Max4Live does not yet work, at least completely, but Cycling74 is actively developing that. So, whatever the hell is going on in the ecosystem, Ableton and Cycling think there's a burgeoning Linux production movement :shrug:

setting up a linux machine with, like, Reaper and WebMIDI and having it able to receive MIDI data over the network and then run some VSTs off it or something, seems like a fun project to me, but I have no idea what kind of stuff you do.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
BitWig Studio has Linux support too!

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Does anyone else experience inconsistencies (for lack of a better word) in how Plex behaves with the same file in different instances? What I mean is that I have some files (usually 4K HDR10 files, haven't noticed it with anything else) that sometimes wind up getting transcoded, sometimes don't, on the same target device. Target device is a Chromecast Ultra plugged into a Denon receiver hooked up to an LG 77 G3. Sometimes the files will be transcoded to 4K H.264 non-HDR, other times they will direct play just fine as they should and be recognized as HDR by the TV. Starting the cast from my phone app seems to result in it transcoding more often than from the webclient, but it isn't consistent. Plex server is running in windows on a dedicated machine. Thanks!

edit: I should say that this feels like new behavior in the last few weeks - so it is probably due to an update somewhere in the chain, but I would still like to try to figure out a root cause.

ROJO fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 19, 2024

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Oh no, an advert company knows my wife likes the 24x7 jerry springer channel

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Cabbages and VHS posted:

I'm curious what kind of music production you do

Mostly I do scoring for soundtracks, cinematics, that kind of thing. I converted to Reaper from Cubase long ago and it's basically an extension of my own brain at this point. I'm sure it's possible to move to Linux but having to re-think anything with the workflow feels like it would be an obstacle to creating as freely as I like to do. Though if any DAW could do it, I'm sure Reaper could lol (can you tell I'm a big fan)

In terms of getting a tdarr node set up in unraid, I've hit a pretty thick wall. I got the container set up, and the unraid tdarr node successfully registers on the windows tdarr server. But the unraid node throws an error trying to access the files.

code:

[2024-05-20T08:41:11.025] [WARN] Tdarr_Node - FFprobe was unable to extract any data from this file: Q:/!Plex/!TheOfficeErsatz/a_legitimately_obtained_file.mkv as the FFprobe result is {}
[2024-05-20T08:41:11.189] [ERROR] Tdarr_Node - { result: 'error', error: {} }
[2024-05-20T08:41:11.248] [ERROR] Tdarr_Node - [Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, open 'Q:/!Plex/!TheOfficeErsatz/a_legitimately_obtained_file.mkv'] {
  errno: -2,
  code: 'ENOENT',
  syscall: 'open',
  path: 'Q:/!Plex/!TheOfficeErsatz/a_legitimately_obtained_file.mkv.mkv'
}
[2024-05-20T08:41:11.250] [ERROR] Tdarr_Node - Error running MediaInfo 3
[2024-05-20T08:41:11.250] [ERROR] Tdarr_Node - ENOENT: no such file or directory, open 'Q:/!Plex/!TheOfficeErsatz/a_legitimately_obtained_file.mkv'
TypeError: Cannot read properties of undefined (reading 'size')
    at /app/Tdarr_Node/srcug/commonModules/fsUtils.js:1:7144
    at k (/app/Tdarr_Node/srcug/commonModules/fsUtils.js:1:2104)
    at Object.next (/app/Tdarr_Node/srcug/commonModules/fsUtils.js:1:1206)
    at h (/app/Tdarr_Node/srcug/commonModules/fsUtils.js:1:664)
[2024-05-20T08:41:11.320] [ERROR] Tdarr_Node - Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, access 'Q:/!Plex/!TheOfficeErsatz/a_legitimately_obtained_file.mkv'
    at Object.accessSync (node:fs:254:3)
    at c (/app/Tdarr_Node/srcug/workers/worker1.js:1:38650)
    at /app/Tdarr_Node/srcug/workers/worker1.js:1:38990
    at k (/app/Tdarr_Node/srcug/workers/worker1.js:1:10173)
    at Object.next (/app/Tdarr_Node/srcug/workers/worker1.js:1:9222)
    at /app/Tdarr_Node/srcug/workers/worker1.js:1:8874
    at new Promise (<anonymous>)
    at __awaiter (/app/Tdarr_Node/srcug/workers/worker1.js:1:8589)
    at preProcessFile (/app/Tdarr_Node/srcug/workers/worker1.js:1:38192)
    at /app/Tdarr_Node/srcug/workers/worker1.js:1:47688 {
  syscall: 'access',
  path: 'Q:/!Plex/!TheOfficeErsatz/a_legitimately_obtained_file.mkv'
}
[2024-05-20T08:41:11.398] [ERROR] Tdarr_Node - stderr:  { 
I'm guessing this is an issue with how tdarr in unraid is trying to find the files. The location I set for media in the tdarr container is /mnt/remotes/HOMEWORLD_Q Drive/!Plex/!TheOfficeErsatz/, which is accessible from the unraid gui. I'm not sure if it wants the tdarr server to use the mnt location instead of the windows location, but the server won't accept anything other than a windows path.

I think tdarr is supposed to be able to handle mixed os nodes, so after a lot of research I'm kind of stuck on what to try next. I can also run ls '/mnt/remotes/HOMEWORLD_Q Drive/!Plex/!TheOfficeErsatz/' and see all the files in the unraid terminal, so I think I'm good on accessing the smb share where these files live. Any help would be very much appreciated!

Chillmatic fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 20, 2024

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Just about done with the backlog of ripping movies and tv shows to my Plex server so I started up ripping some music to it. Two main things:

1) Man, cd ripping has changed since I last messed with it 10+ years ago. I am using fre:ac and it supports something called AccurateRip and cdparanoia which compare the ripped file to both data on the disc and against an online database to ensure that your rip was bit perfect. It also supports some kind of offset setting for your specific drive which I don't really know what that does. Oh, and the gui lets me pick what level of compression to use for my FLAC files.

2) Plexamp remains an absolutely wonderful audio player. Just a clean design that is scalable to a whole bunch of different resolutions/sizes, and a bunch of thoughtful settings for dumb audiophiles like me while also having intelligent defaults. A shame that it is only useful if you have your music ripped to a Plex server or have a Tidal subscription.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Chillmatic posted:

Mostly I do scoring for soundtracks, cinematics, that kind of thing. I converted to Reaper from Cubase long ago and it's basically an extension of my own brain at this point. I'm sure it's possible to move to Linux but having to re-think anything with the workflow feels like it would be an obstacle to creating as freely as I like to do. Though if any DAW could do it, I'm sure Reaper could lol (can you tell I'm a big fan)

In terms of getting a tdarr node set up in unraid, I've hit a pretty thick wall. I got the container set up, and the unraid tdarr node successfully registers on the windows tdarr server. But the unraid node throws an error trying to access the files.

code:

[2024-05-20T08:41:11.025] [WARN] Tdarr_Node - FFprobe was unable to extract any data from this file: Q:/!Plex/!TheOfficeErsatz/a_legitimately_obtained_file.mkv as the FFprobe result is {}
[2024-05-20T08:41:11.189] [ERROR] Tdarr_Node - { result: 'error', error: {} }
[2024-05-20T08:41:11.248] [ERROR] Tdarr_Node - [Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, open 'Q:/!Plex/!TheOfficeErsatz/a_legitimately_obtained_file.mkv'] {
  syscall: 'open',
  path: 'Q:/!Plex/!TheOfficeErsatz/a_legitimately_obtained_file.mkv.mkv'
}
[2024-05-20T08:41:11.250] [ERROR] Tdarr_Node - Error running MediaInfo 3
[2024-05-20T08:41:11.250] [ERROR] Tdarr_Node - ENOENT: no such file or directory, open 'Q:/!Plex/!TheOfficeErsatz/a_legitimately_obtained_file.mkv'
TypeError: Cannot read properties of undefined (reading 'size')
    at /app/Tdarr_Node/srcug/commonModules/fsUtils.js:1:7144
    at k (/app/Tdarr_Node/srcug/commonModules/fsUtils.js:1:2104)
    at Object.next (/app/Tdarr_Node/srcug/commonModules/fsUtils.js:1:1206)
    at h (/app/Tdarr_Node/srcug/commonModules/fsUtils.js:1:664)
[2024-05-20T08:41:11.320] [ERROR] Tdarr_Node - Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, access 'Q:/!Plex/!TheOfficeErsatz/a_legitimately_obtained_file.mkv'
    at Object.accessSync (node:fs:254:3)
    at c (/app/Tdarr_Node/srcug/workers/worker1.js:1:38650)
    at /app/Tdarr_Node/srcug/workers/worker1.js:1:38990
    at k (/app/Tdarr_Node/srcug/workers/worker1.js:1:10173)
    at Object.next (/app/Tdarr_Node/srcug/workers/worker1.js:1:9222)
    at /app/Tdarr_Node/srcug/workers/worker1.js:1:8874
    at new Promise (<anonymous>)
    at __awaiter (/app/Tdarr_Node/srcug/workers/worker1.js:1:8589)
    at preProcessFile (/app/Tdarr_Node/srcug/workers/worker1.js:1:38192)
    at /app/Tdarr_Node/srcug/workers/worker1.js:1:47688 {
  syscall: 'access',
  path: 'Q:/!Plex/!TheOfficeErsatz/a_legitimately_obtained_file.mkv'
}
[2024-05-20T08:41:11.398] [ERROR] Tdarr_Node - stderr:  { 
I'm guessing this is an issue with how tdarr in unraid is trying to find the files. The location I set for media in the tdarr container is /mnt/remotes/HOMEWORLD_Q Drive/!Plex/!TheOfficeErsatz/, which is accessible from the unraid gui. I'm not sure if it wants the tdarr server to use the mnt location instead of the windows location, but the server won't accept anything other than a windows path.

I think tdarr is supposed to be able to handle mixed os nodes, so after a lot of research I'm kind of stuck on what to try next. I can also run ls '/mnt/remotes/HOMEWORLD_Q Drive/!Plex/!TheOfficeErsatz/' and see all the files in the unraid terminal, so I think I'm good on accessing the smb share where these files live. Any help would be very much appreciated!

I feel like I had a similar issue when I initially set mine up, and like you I have a mixed Unraid server with a Windows node. Make sure your pathTranslators section of your Node config is using forward slashes and use the container path for the server setting and the windows path for the node setting.
code:
"pathTranslators": [
{
"server": "/mnt/media",
"node": "Q:/!Plex/!TheOfficeErsatz"
},
{
"server": "/temp",
"node": "Q:/temp"
}
],

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Scruff McGruff posted:

code:
{
"server": "/mnt/media",
"node": "Q:/!Plex/!TheOfficeErsatz"
},
{
"server": "/temp",
"node": "Q:/temp"
}
],

Are server and node backwards, here? The tdarr server is on windows, and this node is unraid. I tried switching them but got the exact same errors that the file can't be found, but this time with the linux path (which looks correct).

code:
[2024-05-21T07:10:13.934] [WARN] Tdarr_Node - FFprobe was unable to extract any data from this file: /mnt/remotes/HOMEWORLD_Q Drive/!Plex/!TheOfficeErsatz/file.mkv as the FFprobe result is {}
[2024-05-21T07:10:14.098] [ERROR] Tdarr_Node - { result: 'error', error: {} }
[2024-05-21T07:10:14.155] [ERROR] Tdarr_Node - [Error: ENOENT: no such file or directory, open '/mnt/remotes/HOMEWORLD_Q Drive/!Plex/!TheOfficeErsatz/file.mkv'] { 
I can ls /mnt/remotes/HOMEWORLD_Q Drive/!Plex/!TheOfficeErsatz/ in the unraid terminal and I've restarted the container after each change so I'm just at a loss here. Here's the node config json

code:
{
  "nodeID": "Unraid-TDARR",
  "nodeName": "Unraid-TDARR",
  "serverIP": "192.168.1.155",
  "serverPort": "8266",
  "handbrakePath": "",
  "ffmpegPath": "",
  "mkvpropeditPath": "",
    {
      "server": "Q:/!Plex/!TheOfficeErsatz",
      "node": "/mnt/remotes/HOMEWORLD_Q Drive/!Plex/!TheOfficeErsatz/"
    }
  ],
  "logLevel": "INFO",
  "priority": -1,
  "cronPluginUpdate": "",
  "apiKey": ""
}

Chillmatic fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 21, 2024

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Chillmatic posted:

Are server and node backwards, here? The tdarr server is on windows, and this node is unraid. I tried switching them but got the exact same errors that the file can't be found, but this time with the linux path (which looks correct).

Oh, I would guess they're flipped then, my server is Unraid and the node is Windows and I must have misread your post.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

Is there a 'gotcha' of some kind with accessing windows smb shares in linux/unraid? I'm on day 5 of this exact same issue. I can set up the node fine with local paths on the unraid machine, but all the media is on a windows share. The windows share is mounted in unraid, I can browse the files from there, I can ls the contents of the directory in the terminal. But no matter what remote share is used this is the error that comes back in the tdarr log for the unraid node:

code:
[2024-05-23T07:28:42.912] [INFO] Tdarr_Node - Path translator: Checking Node path: /mnt/remotes/HOMEWORLD_QDrive/test
[2024-05-23T07:28:42.919] [ERROR] Tdarr_Node - Path translator: Error: Node path cannot be accessed: /mnt/remotes/HOMEWORLD_QDrive/test[/quote]

I've removed all spaces, special characters, etc, and I'm still running into the issue. Desperate for help at this point plz. :sweatdrop:

I have the tdarr_node_config file set up as follows

[code]{
  "nodeID": "TDARR-UNRAID",
  "nodeName": "TDARR-UNRAID",
  "serverIP": "192.168.1.155",
  "serverPort": "8266",
  "handbrakePath": "",
  "ffmpegPath": "",
  "mkvpropeditPath": "",
    {
      "server": "Q:/test",
      "node": "/mnt/remotes/HOMEWORLD_QDrive/test"
    }
  ],
  "logLevel": "INFO",
  "priority": -1,
  "cronPluginUpdate": "",
  "apiKey": "",
  "transcodeCache": "/mnt/cache"

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Does the user that is running as have permission?

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

phosdex posted:

Does the user that is running as have permission?

It's a docker container within unraid. There's an option to run the container as privileged, but doing so returns the same error.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

I also had issues if the SMB settings for the Unraid share were set to anything other than Public. Write access never seemed to happen and Windows would just refuse to authenticate outright sometimes.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Well Played Mauer posted:

The contrary side of this is the better YouTube videos like craft computing and techno Tim actually explain what’s happening when you do things and they don’t assume you’re a professional IT lackey, so if you’re just getting started they’re so much better than traditional software documentation. Once you’re over the noob hump text based stuff can be great, but the majority of it is horribly written (like see me after class bad) and usually assumes you know as much as the writer.

I've got a bone to pick with him. I like his content just fine but he just recently had a video about doing a server build. And not just the usual "Raspberry Pi crimes" or "expensive/loud rack mounted monstrosity" that you usually see documented, a "regular" ""server"" first build; not even a NAS.

The goober talks about his methodology for a bit and more or less just shrugs and says he decided to use unspecified parts he had lying around. Heck, he spent more time talking about the case than the innards. To be fair, that's the path you almost should take but as someone trying to part out something a bit more purpose driven than what is lying around it was absolute maddening. I get why creators will typically hang out at the extremes but for someone just looking for pointers of a relatively modern build it's been a frustrating exercise. I'll have a chocolate frosty and a small fry, thanks.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I hate computers.

Thanks for listening.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Okay, I fixed the problem I was having.

My family and friends think I'm some kind of tech wizard because I frequently pull out bonkers-sounding ideas to fix problems, and they frequently work.

Like the other day ms cruft was trying to get the MP3 player in the car to show something other than a blank screen for the directory listing. She had accidentally switched to bluetooth before it was populated, then switched back, and it stayed blank. She kept switching to bluetooth and back to try and force a refresh, which is pretty smart, but didn't help. I suggested she switch to some other input, then back to MP3. That worked.

How did I know to do this? Because I've fought with UI libraries enough to make an educated guess about what had failed.

You shouldn't need to know this stuff to use the UI. Computers suck.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
TBF, media players in cars are an enhanced level of UI hell. In my car's USB player I can't have a folder with more than 255 songs in it because in 2015 Honda was apparently still limited to 8 bits :manning:

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Two questions on intro detection / credit detection:

My server seems to run intro detection for all library items periodically, possibly triggered by new items being added to the library, instead of on a schedule. Any way to stop this from happening and have it only happen on a schedule? The intro detection consumes like 50% of my system’s CPU it’s brutal.

Certain media files seem to have significant issues with credit detection, and the system has been retrying credit detection on them on every pass and presumably failing. Is there any way to force it to skip those problematic files and stop retrying? I’m pretty much ready to just delete the drat things at this point.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I'm back onto the same problem I had over the holidays on a completely different network. I have episode 2 of a series playing fine and episode 3 (from the same codecs profile) throwing a "Can't find profile error" for an Xbox Series X and failing to transcode / stuttering to a stop within a few seconds. Even if I did need to transcode this media, the serving machine could more than keep up with it.

This problem eventually went away on the other network by itself if not for a single network cable replacement, but Plex doesn't have that excuse here. What can I do?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Question about bit rate:

A lot of my old content is around 3Mbps bit rate, 24fps/H265

It’s 20MB per minute. It looks fine.

But I’m seeing more content that is closer to 28Mbps (195MB/min). Playing 1080p on a 4k screen I can’t see a difference but I also wear glasses so am hardly a researched source.

So when I’m transcoding my Blu-ray’s for archive, is there any real benefit for settings like that? I know TRaSH Guides has their recommendations and bigger is better, but even with the cost of hard drives coming down it seems wasteful to have 5GB episodes instead of 400MB episodes. Is this just a way for certain groups to “juice” their numbers by tricking the software into fetching “higher quality” archival versions?

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I picked up a Beelink with an N100 CPU to use as an emulator for my tv but didn't get much mileage out of it, so I decided to try it out as a Plex replacement for the old gaming machine I converted. The little thing is pretty drat solid. After bumping Ubuntu's kernel up to 6, Plex was able to use the iGPU to transcode. It was able to transcode a Remux 4k version of The Matrix down to 1080p without a hitch, which I'd previously been leaning on a GeForce 1080 to do in the older machine. Pretty nuts that a machine the size of an Apple TV can do what it does now.

Should you embark on a similar Beelink journey, some notes:

You need to be on kernel 6.3 or .4 or later for Plex to use the iGPU for transcoding.

You also need to go into the Beelink's bios and set the internal graphics to ON rather than AUTO. Iirc it's in the chipset section - wasn't too hard to find.

nuh-uh no way
Mar 27, 2010

Well Played Mauer posted:

I picked up a Beelink with an N100 CPU to use as an emulator for my tv but didn't get much mileage out of it, so I decided to try it out as a Plex replacement for the old gaming machine I converted. The little thing is pretty drat solid. After bumping Ubuntu's kernel up to 6, Plex was able to use the iGPU to transcode. It was able to transcode a Remux 4k version of The Matrix down to 1080p without a hitch, which I'd previously been leaning on a GeForce 1080 to do in the older machine. Pretty nuts that a machine the size of an Apple TV can do what it does now.

Should you embark on a similar Beelink journey, some notes:

You need to be on kernel 6.3 or .4 or later for Plex to use the iGPU for transcoding.

You also need to go into the Beelink's bios and set the internal graphics to ON rather than AUTO. Iirc it's in the chipset section - wasn't too hard to find.

This is really helpful. I just got mine last week and was looking to set it up when I have time off.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I have one running windows and it's great. I do see the Plex scraper pegging the CPU from time to time but that's likely windows bloat. When I get some extra time and money I'll expand the storage and throw Ubuntu on there.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

Question about bit rate:

It’s 20MB per minute. It looks fine.

The only user on my Plex server who can tell the difference between 720p and 480p is me. And only sometimes, when I'm looking for it.

My opinion is that if what you're currently doing looks fine, keep doing it. For my users, DVD quality looks fine. It saves me a lot of storage and bandwidth.

cruft fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 27, 2024

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Yeah it just seems odd because it’s 400GB vs 5GB for the same 1080p content.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

Yeah it just seems odd because it’s 400GB vs 5GB for the same 1080p content.

It's probably just different quality settings. When you said it "looks fine": that's how the video codecs work, people in labs spend years studying what kinds of changes to video source "looks fine" to people, and then they write software to make those changes in ways that causes the video to compress better.

You can get really persnickety and dial the "screw with the source material" settings way down, so not as many "looks fine" tricks are applied. This causes the output to use a lot more information (bytes), but it's closer to what you gave the encoder. But you're still taking a lossy encoding (whatever Blu-Ray uses), and re-encoding it with a different lossy encoding. Best case, you're going to perfectly reproduce the codec artifacts on the Blu-Ray.

The Internet is full of weirdos doing things like 24-bit audio FLAC encodes of vinyl. It gets every little pop and distortion of the true original signal... of a needle bouncing around a "best effort" thermoplastic pressing of a metal mold made from a digital file. If you've got a 1080p version of The Get-Along Gang S01E01 that looks fine for 400MB, and you find somebody else with a 5GB version of the same episode, I can almost guarantee you it's the same audiophile nonsense.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I’m a big fan of my strategy of not giving a poo poo about anything modern and just ripping my own dvds

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Wayne Knight posted:

I’m a big fan of my strategy of not giving a poo poo about anything modern and just ripping my own dvds

:hmmyes:

This is a pro strategy IMO. I'm sure many of us are familiar with tweaking settings, resolutions, etc to improve the picture; and then the other people, who were waiting for us to finish, say "it looks the same".

I think most people probably care about faces and motion, and that's about it. DVDs do a fine job with this, and with h264 encoding I can fit like 38,000 DVDs transcodes on my RAID array before they start crowding out the 20 years of family photos also on there.

It's cool if people want to get super into the absolute best quality and nerd out on codec artifacts or whatever, that's a fine hobby. But if you think other people care, you're dooming yourself to feeling unappreciated.

cruft fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 28, 2024

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I just like x265 rips because I have yet to build a NAS and run exclusively off and old WD MyCloud or a bunch of NVMe SSDs. If I had double-digit terabytes per drive in a TrueNAS I'd give no fucks about x264 that plays on anything made in the last ten years...

...then Plex would fail to detect the XBox profile and stutter to complete poo poo.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
This lo-fi movement is cute, here. However, non-nerds can appreciate the difference between a DVD and a 4K HDR. Most people can tell the difference between 1080p and the same as well!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Well yeah but that doesn't really answer the question if its worthless to have massive nearly lossless 1080p files vs regular size 1080p files. As far as I can tell from loving around today it's becoming just a way to get your Release Group's content to be fetched preferentially over someone who has good encoding dialed in.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Scene groups don’t upload to public spaces like Usenet, so that’s a moot point.

It’s a simple as physical media having the space for a bunch of uncompressed audio tracks and fine grain detail as it wants, while streaming services want to crunch the filesize down as much as possible and meeting a reasonable compromise for the hardware the majority of people are watching on - a Walmart TV mounted over a fireplace connected to a $100 soundbar. I’ll watch 80gb remuxes then archive up a 5gb version for the future when I care less.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I've also seen ripping groups make very obvious mistakes because they don't watch / proof their own content.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

LRADIKAL posted:

This lo-fi movement is cute, here. However, non-nerds can appreciate the difference between a DVD and a 4K HDR. Most people can tell the difference between 1080p and the same as well!

Cheers doesn’t need to look any better than it did on its original run.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

On the original run, people weren’t watching it on a 77” screen mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Some art makes the jump to HD well (The Wire with new transfer) whereas other stuff was perfectly suited for its medium (The Shield 4:3 shakycam).