Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Update: chickens are praising the sun by playing dead

(sorry for potato quality, I had to take this by zooming in a bunch because if I opened the door they'd stop doing it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

That is some amazing camouflage!

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
sun-worshipping poultry are the most mesmerising thing on earth

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

my resolution to always supervise the quail when they're out of the coop is proving surprisingly good for my mental health. watching them pobble about is very relaxing, and they are getting calmer around me as well. only spending a supervised hour out per day rather than several unsupervised hours doesn't seem to have diminished their quality of life - they're visibly more celebratory of their freedom and seem to make the most of it while it lasts.

currently the six of them are in the same cage with no problems, even though three are roosters (i think - moose is still questionable.) oberon is a peaceful little blue darling. quimiii gets rambunctious sometimes, but i just take him out to explore the far corners of the yard by himself and that works off his excess energy. he hasn't crowed yet, but i saw him do the sexy strut at friday the other day - i'm desperate for a chick or three out of them, because they are both beautiful

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I moved the chicken playground around to give them something new to explore.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Alterian posted:

That is an intense stare

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Alterian posted:

the monarch.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The funny thing is Sparkles is not top chicken. Camilla and Henrietta are fighting for that spot. I thought it was going to be Camilla but it looks like Henrietta decided to go for it too. she's the big girl in the flock.

Alterian fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 16, 2020

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Our weather is at long last cooperating, and tomorrow, Saturday the 17th, starting around 11AM PST, we will run Chickam on the flock! We have a pumpkin all ready to go, the cam view will be from *inside* the pumpkin as the chickens eat it--if you've never seen it, it's a hoot!

Linky thing: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr7ICWyIMhWSp0UUJpAeTCw/live

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

No, see, you want to keep the owls away from the flock. Easy beginner mistake though.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The flock is up to 6-7 eggs a day now and the birbs are all happy if not annoyed by our presence.

So we've made about 3 quiches and 2 custards so far and uh... eggs are still piling up.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

three days worth. The chooks and the duck are cranking it. Mind the poo poo. My wife has issues with me taking photos of the lovely eggs and putting them on the internet.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

today i startled nina and she went PERCACK like a chicken :confuoot:

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Egg production is down around here. Yesterday I got 4 eggs out of 21 layers. Today was better, I got 11 eggs and this beautiful tribute:

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

My chickens are starting to molt.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Joburg posted:

Today was better, I got 11 eggs and this beautiful tribute:

:allears:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Joburg posted:

Egg production is down around here. Yesterday I got 4 eggs out of 21 layers. Today was better, I got 11 eggs and this beautiful tribute:

Beautiful

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

fauna posted:

today i startled nina and she went PERCACK like a chicken :confuoot:

One of my teens got landed on made the buGACK!! Chicken sound instead of the trilling peep and I was happy yet kind of sad.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Shifty Nipples posted:

My chickens are starting to molt.

We have 2 molting right now and I think they are wishing they had done it a month earlier since it is now 40 overnight compared to 60 overnight then.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Our weather is at long last cooperating, and tomorrow, Saturday the 17th, starting around 11AM PST, we will run Chickam on the flock! We have a pumpkin all ready to go, the cam view will be from *inside* the pumpkin as the chickens eat it--if you've never seen it, it's a hoot!

Linky thing: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr7ICWyIMhWSp0UUJpAeTCw/live

That's 7pm for GMT, so any minute now... :f5:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

spookygonk posted:

That's 7pm for GMT, so any minute now... :f5:

Setting things up now!
A whole lotta moltin' goin' on, so don't be startled.

Software is updating--Chickam, live and from inside a pumpkin (chickspicion will be high, at DefCon 1 at first) will begin shortly here:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr7ICWyIMhWSp0UUJpAeTCw/live

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 17, 2020

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Chickam is up! Pumpkin being added now, we'll fix the sound after that

Here's a photo of a previous PumpkinChickam, to give you an idea of what it looks like:
The pumpkin prepared:

And in action!

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 17, 2020

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Chickam is up! Pumpkin being added now, we'll fix the sound after that

peckpeckpeckpeckpeckpeckpeckpeckpeckpeck :3:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Source4Leko posted:

We have 2 molting right now and I think they are wishing they had done it a month earlier since it is now 40 overnight compared to 60 overnight then.

All four of mine badly need to moult but keep putting it off even as we head into winter.

I don't think you're going to make it all the way through winter without moulting, ladies, might as well get it over with.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Mine are molting now. Feathers everywhere - have to keep making sure that no one has been eaten or gotten into a fight with something.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
We had our first hawk yesterday. Luckily I was in the kitchen with the window open and heard a commotion. Looked out and saw a hawk going ham on Salem our blue silkie. Shouted for my wife and we both sprinted out there and the hawk flew off. Very lucky she only has a small cut on her forehead and about 30 feathers ripped out and that’s it! :Phew:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Edit: forgot to say glad she's ok

There's a ton of hawks where I live and on no-poo poo day 1 that the girls were out in the new coop I caught one of them sitting in front of the wire looking at them twice.

Got an owl decoy that day and it hasn't been back since, but my plans to let them wander the yard during the day have been dashed. Am going to have to make a medium security area for them to explore.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Oct 18, 2020

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

One of our chickens started laying about every other day. We decided to cook up two we have for dinner. I crack one for myself into the pan

My husband is super jealous. It's his turn to cook his.

Two double yolk eggs!

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Alterian posted:

Two double yolk eggs!
absolutely blessed

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

Damnit avs I like your birdposting stop getting banned in other threads

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Gaukler posted:

Damnit avs I like your birdposting stop getting banned in other threads

like asking the wind to not blow, rain to not fall, or a quail to not die

We got a coop and three more birds from someone who was moving and couldn't bring their birds, so now we have two coops and eight lil dinosaurs. The collection grows.

(i love you and your birds avs for the record)

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Wife found this old girl dumped and abandoned on the side of the road. She is riddled with lice and her stool is crawling with worms

Bone thin. She has also removed all of her lower feathers.

Also she’s finding it difficult to walk, there is a large lump on her left thigh which I am guessing is a tumour

We have deloused and wormed her. Will move her to one of the nursery enclosures in the next day or two when she is feeling better, but I think her prognosis isn’t too good :smith:

The kids have named her Amber.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

Wife found this old girl dumped and abandoned on the side of the road. She is riddled with lice and her stool is crawling with worms

Also she’s finding it difficult to walk, there is a large lump on her left thigh which I am guessing is a tumour

We have deloused and wormed her. Will move her to one of the nursery enclosures in the next day or two when she is feeling better, but I think her prognosis isn’t too good :smith:

thank you for helping this bird, i hope she recovers

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Even if she doesn't, do not discount that you've given her a warm safe and loving place to live out her final days in relative comfort OP.

I hope she pulls through and lives a long happy life with your flock though :ohdear:.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

You’re doing a great thing, showing this sweetheart the love she has clearly been lacking.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

You’re good people.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Captain Log posted:

You’re doing a great thing, showing this sweetheart the love she has clearly been lacking.

It’s a bit of a tough one. I’ve had a another chance to look at her now that I’m home from work and I don’t think the hard lump is a tumour, but a badly broken leg that has healed. The leg is at an acute angle and a bit dangly. I am wondering if she was hit by a car or something a while ago and somehow survived that trauma (and the hawks). However wifey only just noticed her on the side of the road a couple of days ago.

She is very alert, chirpy as heck, eats like a horse, drinking well. She just...can’t move.

She won’t be able to scratch or roost. Our nursery coups have ramps up into the roosting areas so I’m going to rethink.

Either way she’s going to the vet. Our vet has a tendency to give chooks the final needle if they have so much as a sniffle though. But if she can’t really move, I’m sure that she won’t have a good quality of life.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

It’s a bit of a tough one. I’ve had a another chance to look at her now that I’m home from work and I don’t think the hard lump is a tumour, but a badly broken leg that has healed. The leg is at an acute angle and a bit dangly. I am wondering if she was hit by a car or something a while ago and somehow survived that trauma (and the hawks). However wifey only just noticed her on the side of the road a couple of days ago.

She is very alert, chirpy as heck, eats like a horse, drinking well. She just...can’t move.

She won’t be able to scratch or roost. Our nursery coups have ramps up into the roosting areas so I’m going to rethink.

Either way she’s going to the vet. Our vet has a tendency to give chooks the final needle if they have so much as a sniffle though. But if she can’t really move, I’m sure that she won’t have a good quality of life.

As sad as that will be, you're giving the chicken some peace at the end, if it is the end. She deserved someone like you a long time ago, at least she has you now. :derptiel:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

You did a good thing for her. Get well soon, Amber, at least you're in a safe place now.

Chickens can be extremely resiliant, bouncing back from terrible injuries.