Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Panfilo posted:

I keep being reminded of that Ark game where your avatar was random based on your steam ID and they got super upset they were stuck playing a black dude

Im not sure about that, all i know about ark is dinosaurs and this video:

https://youtu.be/W2Aq-gm3An0?si=t1fG58D7oYCI2VpM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nah if you’re doing full communist on this, there’s no nationalization step because Comrade Steve makes it for the benefit of the people. No patents.

The state can license it to foreign capitalists, as was done with Tetris.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Pipistrelle posted:

Yeah, it’s crazy that people would be against something like this, but people are also against like, seatbelts. Some people will always get mad at being told what to do, even if it helps them

SawStop, the makers of the tech, have also said they will make the patent public on the effective date of the rule, so the whole monopoly thing would go away pretty quickly

https://www.sawstop.com/news/sawsto...all-table-saws/

the patent 9,724,840 they say they will open up appears to have already expired a year ago

https://patents.google.com/patent/US9724840B2/en

given that clones haven't shown up yet im guessing they have more patents which haven't expired and they're not going to give away for free

repiv has a new favorite as of 02:30 on May 17, 2024

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Haven't heard from conservapedia in a hot minute
https://twitter.com/_sn_n/status/1791182490222072077?t=f0V1OAyxunstBaiM_EA7vA&s=19

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I'm going to patent a way to make table saws maim people even worse and sell it to Libertarians. Maybe like a spring that launches the blade at you when it gets stuck.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Knormal posted:

I'm going to patent a way to make table saws maim people even worse and sell it to Libertarians. Maybe like a spring that launches the blade at you when it gets stuck.

throw in some sort of forced kick-back system and you'll be printing money

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Panfilo posted:

And I'm sure their precious Japan never lets historical accuracy get in the way of fun gameplay/plot/etc in their own titles right?

absolutely

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbhdVHFSXAo

here's a trailer for the historical action game sengoku basara where tadakatsu honda is a gundam and all the horses have exhaust pipes

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Platystemon posted:

Nah if you’re doing full communist on this, there’s no nationalization step because Comrade Steve makes it for the benefit of the people. No patents.

The state can license it to foreign capitalists, as was done with Tetris.

YOUR TERMS ARE

ACCEPTABLE.

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

Seems the high horse is taking them all home

repiv posted:

the patent 9,724,840 they say they will open up appears to have already expired a year ago

https://patents.google.com/patent/US9724840B2/en

given that clones haven't shown up yet im guessing they have more patents which haven't expired and they're not going to give away for free

:( well that’s what I get for thinking a company might actually do something good

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I'd never trust a company's word. The only way to legislate this is that the company has to put all relevant patents into a patent pool for free use, or else the company owner gets put on a competitor's table saw like in a bond movie.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
that specific patent has not expired but sawstop has pledged to release their patent when the mandate goes into effect.
https://ohsonline.com/Articles/2024/03/06/SawStop-to-Dedicate-Patent-to-Public-Amid-Proposed-Safety-Rule-for-Table-Saws.aspx

purplestuffedworm
Oct 11, 2012
Wonder if there'll be idiots deliberately overriding the SawStop feature, like people who use those fake seat belt buckles to override the seat belt alarm in cars.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Conservatives just have to find a way to blame Californians for everything...

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

purplestuffedworm posted:

Wonder if there'll be idiots deliberately overriding the SawStop feature, like people who use those fake seat belt buckles to override the seat belt alarm in cars.

The saws already come with a built in feature to disable the Sawstop tech if needed.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

"It'll turn maimings and lost fingers into a vanishingly rare occurrence, but costs might go up by hundreds of dollars!!! Not worth it!" is the kind of line I'd expect from a Lucky Ducky-style wild parody of openly greedy capitalist, yet here this lady is just up and saying it unironically.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Hah! Those silly laypeople, utilizing resources non-perfectly when exposed to a sudden, unexpected disaster and lacking complete information. If it had been me, I would have just acted logically and

...Or what, is he trying to argue that ships shouldn't have more lifeboats since two of the Titanic's apparently couldn't be used? Doesn't everyone know that the Titanic didn't have even close to enough lifeboats to save all the passengers and crew even if all of them were used?

Wasn't there a ship nearby that could have saved many people, but it had turned its radio off for the night and didn't receive the Titanic's distress call? Of course liberals will always politicize everything and exploit tragedies for their own political agendas because this tragedy was used to FORCE all ships to keep their radios on at all times.

If the passengers wanted to escape, they should have just gotten the way out from their siblings in the Titanic's sister ship.

ScreenDoorThrillr
Jun 23, 2023

Nebrilos posted:

Hah! Those silly laypeople, utilizing resources non-perfectly when exposed to a sudden, unexpected disaster and lacking complete information. If it had been me, I would have just acted logically and

...Or what, is he trying to argue that ships shouldn't have more lifeboats since two of the Titanic's apparently couldn't be used? Doesn't everyone know that the Titanic didn't have even close to enough lifeboats to save all the passengers and crew even if all of them were used?

Wasn't there a ship nearby that could have saved many people, but it had turned its radio off for the night and didn't receive the Titanic's distress call? Of course liberals will always politicize everything and exploit tragedies for their own political agendas because this tragedy was used to FORCE all ships to keep their radios on at all times.

If the passengers wanted to escape, they should have just gotten the way out from their siblings in the Titanic's sister ship.

there was also a ship which received the call and went hell-for-leather to rescue people

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Nebrilos posted:

There is a nubbin of truth here - on the night of the disaster as it played out, more lifeboats would not have saved many (or any) more people. The Titanic had 20 boats, of which only 18 were properly loaded and launched before she went under. The last two (smaller collapsibles) floated off the ship as it sank, one of them upside down. Both still managed to save people who climbed into/onto them.

The lifeboats were prepped for lowering and loading of the (initially reluctant) passengers started as soon as could reasonably be expected once the condition and fate of the ship was confirmed. There were only so many trained sailors to carry out the difficult task of lowering the laden boats, and only so many officers to supervise each lowering. They went at a good pace - frankly a remarkably quick pace - in the circumstances.

Had the ship had the extra 32 lifeboats needed to carry its full capacity, or even the extra 12 or so needed to carry all who were aboard it that night, they would almost certainly have gone down with the ship still in their davits. There simply wasn't the time and manpower available to launch them.

BUT that's entirely different to the basic issue of safety, corporate ethics and basic human morals that means that if you're going to build an ocean liner you should put enough lifeboats on it to take everyone off it.

There were plenty of reasons why the Titanic didn't have 'lifeboats for all', and some of them were better than others - including the weight of opinion and experience at the time that a modern ocean liner would never be in a position that it would need to put all its passengers off in boats at once. And it remains the case that in the 112 years since no ocean liner has sunk slowly and evenly enough for all its lifeboats to be launched. None the less the Titanic disaster dramatically proved how outdated the regulations were (she carried more lifeboats than was legally required and still only had enough for half the people aboard, and she wasn't even heavily booked that crossing - thankfully!). So yes, the LIEBERALS!!! used it as devious opportunity to update the regulations and ensure that there was at least, as a last theoretical resort, a lifeboat place for everyone aboard. Heartless statist thugs!

The strangest part of that Conservapedia quote is that apparently the real takeaway from the Titanic story is all the chivalrous millionaires who died, because a pointless heroic death is far better than getting safely away in a lifeboat placed there by government regulation. The whole "right-wing politics becomes a death cult" rears its head again.

BalloonFish has a new favorite as of 11:51 on May 17, 2024

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
If they wanted better odds on surviving the sinking they simply should have chosen to not be poor

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 44 hours!
This sounds an awful lot like that libertarian who argued that people should be free to rent an apartment built with shoddy fire prone exterior cladding and if you horribly burn to death in that thirty story tinderbox, well I guess you got what you paid for!

Don't want to burn to death? Well that just gives consumers an incentive to actually choose their home more carefully which in turn will incentivise builders to build apartments with fire safety specs consumers want at their price point. Invisible hand, baby! :capitalism:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Every time I read something stupid that lolbertarians said I'm reminded of the libertarian police force article and I chuckle a bit

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/daily-shouts/l-p-d-libertarian-police-department

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Air Skwirl posted:

The meta story for Assassin's Creed involves Ancient Aliens poo poo.
It's really best not to think too much about the AC metaplot.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
https://x.com/cbsnews/status/1790845064681226679?s=46&t=pYXbrsIUxM-F__2KiH5Cag
https://x.com/guestname10/status/1791176409731444975?s=46&t=pYXbrsIUxM-F__2KiH5Cag

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
apparently musk finally did the url change so maybe expect a social media site itself being the idiot.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

lmfao

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

This is just Tarzan

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
The bull beats that woman up then just casually goes back to the bags. :hmbol:

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Just opened linkedin to this. I don't know who these people are.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Nebrilos posted:

The cruise ship that follows the first one carrying all of its luggage should have been the one to rescue everyone

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Nobody Interesting posted:

Just opened linkedin to this. I don't know who these people are.

They are idiots at a bare minimum.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I read that as a more existential kind of statement like, “I don’t know where the hell people like this come from”

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

purplestuffedworm posted:

I knew a girl who used to wear a cross-body or messenger (is that really how it's spelled? I feel like there should be an A in there) bag while driving to make cops think she was wearing her seatbelt.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

That's not my moose bull, but it's a wild goddamn animal. Get the gently caress away from it.

YEAH!!! GET 'EM!! GET 'EM! GET 'EM!!!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Neito posted:

I knew a girl who used to wear a cross-body or messenger (is that really how it's spelled? I feel like there should be an A in there) bag while driving to make cops think she was wearing her seatbelt.

Mesasenger?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

The woman who threw the bucket of water vaguely in the direction of the bull is the real hero.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Mess-an-ger is how I pronounce it, so how I feel like it should be spelled. Part of the lovely fact that I have a mix of SE Massachusetts and northern Vermont in my accent.

I have a friend/fellow goon lurker who used to spell idea "idear" because of his Rhode Island accent.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

BalloonFish posted:

There is a nubbin of truth here - on the night of the disaster as it played out, more lifeboats would not have saved many (or any) more people. The Titanic had 20 boats, of which only 18 were properly loaded and launched before she went under. The last two (smaller collapsibles) floated off the ship as it sank, one of them upside down. Both still managed to save people who climbed into/onto them.

The lifeboats were prepped for lowering and loading of the (initially reluctant) passengers started as soon as could reasonably be expected once the condition and fate of the ship was confirmed. There were only so many trained sailors to carry out the difficult task of lowering the laden boats, and only so many officers to supervise each lowering. They went at a good pace - frankly a remarkably quick pace - in the circumstances.

Had the ship had the extra 32 lifeboats needed to carry its full capacity, or even the extra 12 or so needed to carry all who were aboard it that night, they would almost certainly have gone down with the ship still in their davits. There simply wasn't the time and manpower available to launch them.
Sounds like they need more lifeboats and a better system for quickly loading and lowering them!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Some sort of rail or slide system that launches them off the side, perhaps...

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Why not just make a bigger boat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Nevermind that would be regulation and thus also bad. Chivalry and heroism is more important.