Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Actually all the children that got on the lifeboats were adult babies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I know I'm an idiot on social media, but --

When someone says "yt", that's the same as saying "whitey," meaning specifically it's meant to be a slur, right? I am a white guy and sure don't care one way or the other if people are using slurs about white folk, it's just that sometimes I'm really not sure what the tone of the message is. My little cousin has used this in texts and I'm pretty sure she actually doesn't mean it as a slur... or maybe she does. Most everywhere else it seems to be :confused:

Clarified question: do people use "yt" ever to just indicate someone is Caucasian, or is it always in the context of making fun of them / being angry at them?

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
It's just white. Y with t sound at the end.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Vib Rib posted:

Sounds like they need more lifeboats and a better system for quickly loading and lowering them!

Which are exactly the main changes they made to the third ship in the class, the Britannic. As well as more lifeboats (48 of them), they were served by big crane davits with electric hoisting gear, so the boats could be lowered and raised at the touch of a button. These were developed by Harland & Wolff in direct response to the Titanic disaster and were the precursor of all modern shipboard davits.

BalloonFish has a new favorite as of 19:31 on May 17, 2024

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

credburn posted:

I know I'm an idiot on social media, but --

When someone says "yt", that's the same as saying "whitey," meaning specifically it's meant to be a slur, right? I am a white guy and sure don't care one way or the other if people are using slurs about white folk, it's just that sometimes I'm really not sure what the tone of the message is. My little cousin has used this in texts and I'm pretty sure she actually doesn't mean it as a slur... or maybe she does. Most everywhere else it seems to be :confused:

Clarified question: do people use "yt" ever to just indicate someone is Caucasian, or is it always in the context of making fun of them / being angry at them?

Yt

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

I thought it was youtube

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

BalloonFish posted:

Which are exactly the main changes they made to the third ship in the class, the Britannic. As well as more lifeboats (48 of them), they were served by big crane davits with electric hoisting gear, so the boats could be lowered and raised at the touch of a button. These were developed by Harland & Wolff in direct response to the Titanic disaster and were the precursor of all modern shipboard davits.

But it looks so cluttered! :byodood:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
unless the posts about race and people, its almost certainly youtube.

like the only time i've seen the whitey thing is when that woman of color mod whats her usename did it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It also prevents racists searching "white" on twitter to yell at POC for innocuous comments that involve white people

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://x.com/kawaiifive0h/status/1791438383899640177?s=46&t=CBKJcBX0BD3U5HgUdsqBtw

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

It's always a slur to me but that's because I'm reverse racist

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I most often see yt to mean "you too":

:v: "Have a good day at work"
:j: "Thx, yt"

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

thanks whitey

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Youtube = Y.t.
Whitey = Y-T
You, too = Y, t

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

credburn posted:

Youtube = Y.t.
Whitey = Y-T
You, too = Y, t

Yttrium = Yt

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Yt people can be highly toxic and cause lung disease

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Neito posted:

I knew a girl who used to wear a cross-body or messenger (is that really how it's spelled? I feel like there should be an A in there) bag while driving to make cops think she was wearing her seatbelt.

We could never pass seatbelt laws today.

Or public smoking bans.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Platystemon posted:

We could never pass seatbelt laws today.

Or public smoking bans.

Eh, Massachusetts has enacted some public safety poo poo like "Can't buy menthols or flavored tobacco products" with some pretty heavy support, it depends where you were.

And it's not like seatbelt laws were uncontroversial in their era. gently caress, there's still motorcyclists who rip off their helmet the second they cross the NH border.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

At least not wearing a helmet is a tactile experience. Seems ill advised but I can understand the appeal.

Unless you have some sort of serious... what's the word for when people can't tolerate certain sensations? Whatever that is, I don't get not wearing a seatbelt.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Hardcordion posted:

It's just white. Y with t sound at the end.

On Twitter, in this type of context, it's this

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

OwlFancier posted:

At least not wearing a helmet is a tactile experience. Seems ill advised but I can understand the appeal.

Unless you have some sort of serious... what's the word for when people can't tolerate certain sensations? Whatever that is, I don't get not wearing a seatbelt.

Sensory issues is the term I usually hear.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Legal Advice UK posted:

Just been caught working abroad without my companies permission, Am I about to get sued?

I've been working abroad without my companies permission for 9 months now, living in SEA hopping countries every 3 months or so (or whenever the tourist visa expired). Yesterday out of the blue I get an email from IT basically saying they know what's going on and I've got a formal HR meeting coming up.

It's a billion dollar US fortune 500 company in the Finance industry, I'm a low level software engineer dealing with back end code and no customer data. I've only ever had production access to real live servers 3 times (no db access IIRC). I've performed well, done all my work and thought I could outsmart the system..

I'm now terrified that they could incur massive fines for them not having a business entity in those countries and I'm not only going to get fired, but also sued to levels where I'm financially ruined..

In short I'm panicking quite a lot and as a hail mary thought I'd ask what the likelihood of me getting sued is and if so.. how much I'm potentially looking at? and what's the best way for me to act during this? Should I be totally up front and honest about the length of time and countries I've visited.

Edit: My employer is based in England and I've been working there for over a year and a half.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

I'm now terrified that they could incur massive fines for them not having a business entity in those countries and I'm not only going to get fired, but also sued to levels where I'm financially ruined..

He’ll be fired, but not sued, so long as the affair can be kept quiet…

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

OwlFancier posted:

Had a convo with a boomer once about seatbelts. He was "bu' my freedumb!" and how The Man was just making laws for no reason. When he asked me why I would want to wear a seatbelt I explained how I had a friend that took his off to find his inhaler while in a car and it crashed, flipped, and tossed him out and then rolled over his body. And I didn't want anyone I know going to my funeral like I did his.

"Well... I ain't wearing one." was his only reply.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Burning_Monk posted:

Had a convo with a boomer once about seatbelts. He was "bu' my freedumb!" and how The Man was just making laws for no reason. When he asked me why I would want to wear a seatbelt I explained how I had a friend that took his off to find his inhaler while in a car and it crashed, flipped, and tossed him out and then rolled over his body. And I didn't want anyone I know going to my funeral like I did his.

"Well... I ain't wearing one." was his only reply.

"And I won't be going to your funeral"

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

My company actually has a formal policy on changing your working location, despite most of us being partially or fully remote. We have to alert them if we change states, let alone countries, for more than I think 89 days. The tax implications of that alone are a pain, let alone the liability of something like that.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
We couldn't convince people that they should wear a mask to protect others; imagine trying to get people to wear something that protects themselves.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
lol at protag syndrome and other general stupidity/nothing bad ever happens to me mindset.

my favorite is still the titanic sub posts of bros just claiming to tank the ocean pressure and then swim back up.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Or like the old "if you're in a plane crash, just jump up in the air right as it's about to hit" which goes back so far it was in a Bill Cosby routine

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

PhazonLink posted:

lol at protag syndrome and other general stupidity/nothing bad ever happens to me mindset.

my favorite is still the titanic sub posts of bros just claiming to tank the ocean pressure and then swim back up.

I would simply choose not to be crushed by the titanic pressures at the depths of the ocean.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Baron von Eevl posted:

It also prevents racists searching "white" on twitter to yell at POC for innocuous comments that involve white people

It only slows the process down but rest assured the work gets done

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

PhazonLink posted:

I know I shouldn't give much credit to redditors or people more generally but the only example I remember seeing of that was an obvious joke

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://www.facebook.com/share/p/4TdvvPYfLkKUgEdB/?mibextid=oFDknk

quote:

(LONG post)
So Clay from Love is Blind has come out with Celina Powell who is simply another in a line of non black women he's posted on his IG since the show ended.

This is a passive-aggressive nonverbal communication as to what his problem was was with AD on the show. This harkens back to Chris from Married at First Sight who kept saying Paige ( who looked way better than him and was more successful than him) wasn't the "pretty girl type" because she was dark skinned.

And I see a lot of women in the comments on these posts like how come these reality shows keep casting "these type of black men".

So I think there are several reasons that this keeps happening.

Number one and I know you guys aren't going to like this but this behavior is the norm in our community. It's such a norm that non black people are aware of this dynamic. White girls know that when it comes to a black man we aren't competing with them and we are not on their level, that means that behavior is a norm. Non black women often actually get angry and shocked if a black man chooses a black woman over them, thats how foreign such a concept is to them. I think there are far more black men like this than a lot of people are willing to accept. When I was growing up it was normal and expected that you didn't have a chance with a black guy and if you were a black girl who they'd date you were beyond reproach. Okay so let's stop pretending that black men who don't like black women is outside of what's normal.

1. Okay so number one the reason men like this are more likely to be chosen for dating shows is because more black men like this exist than the opposite. You can die mad about it.

Another reason this keeps happening is because Black men like this have a way of communicating that black women are able to ascertain okay he doesn't like me, he doesn't like black women. There is a very subtle underhanded double speaking type of way men like this will interact with you that allows you to pick up in conversation that he don't gently caress with black girls. I'm reminded of when they asked Chris what his racial preference was and he said "I like black queens, white Queens, Asian Queens, Latina Queens." That means "I don't like or date black women". Period. Point Blank. Were not going to debate about it that's what that means when you ask a man does he like black women and he says I like all women he is telling you I don't gently caress with black girls.

2. They do not have enough black people in casting to be able to pick up on the underhanded meanings of the things black men say to communicate this behavior before they pick them for the show.

And last but not least there's also a part of me that believes that the people in charge of these shows find it funny and think it's good entertainment. There's always a chance that these shows do know that these men don't really gently caress with black women and then match them with black women on purpose to create drama and ratings.

3. People hate black women and shows find it entertaining to see black men romantically mistreat black women on national television.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

oldpainless posted:

It only slows the process down but rest assured the work gets done

More like “oldpocless”.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
#BlackTwitter has me convinced black women and conservative white men have almost the exact same opinions on Black men:v:

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Weird how people keep reinventing Racism (but Woke) over and over again.

There's only one identity group that can improve things and it's the only marginalized majority, and that's the working class.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Neito posted:

My company actually has a formal policy on changing your working location, despite most of us being partially or fully remote. We have to alert them if we change states, let alone countries, for more than I think 89 days. The tax implications of that alone are a pain, let alone the liability of something like that.

I once got in trouble at work. I needed to grab something from a website that's blocked in my home country, so I used a VPN. The first country in the drop-down menu was Albania. The following day at 9AM sharp I tried to log in, only to get locked out. When I finally got through to the IT department they informed me that that happens automatically when you try to log in on a government server from a 'suspicious country'.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Skios posted:

I once got in trouble at work. I needed to grab something from a website that's blocked in my home country, so I used a VPN. The first country in the drop-down menu was Albania. The following day at 9AM sharp I tried to log in, only to get locked out. When I finally got through to the IT department they informed me that that happens automatically when you try to log in on a government server from a 'suspicious country'.

yeah that's really common for US based orgs, my place blocks anything coming from outside the US. I'm sure it's fine.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

tokin opposition posted:

yeah that's really common for US based orgs, my place blocks anything coming from outside the US. I'm sure it's fine.

I mean, it depends. If you're expecting all your users to log in from the US, geolocking internal/VPN login to the US isn't the worst idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

I feel that if you have issues (physical or otherwise) that prevent you from engaging with the most basic safety features of machinery you're operating/utilising, you don't get to use that machinery. Can't drive if you're blind, can't ride if you can't wear a helmet, simple as. Some other or conditional ones, sure, if some issue is preventing you from using idk, lane assist (presuming it works perfectly itself, and so on), or if you're afraid of the dark so you can't drive at night, sure, you get a license, and make the conscious decision of doing it in the way that works for you within the mandatory safety.

Of course this would never fly in the US, where personal vehicles are like, 90% of passenger-mileages, but oh well