Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

the function of literature is for disturbed and obsessive individuals to freak everyone else out. that is the holy purpose of creative work. anything else is corruption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

the function of literature is for disturbed and obsessive individuals to freak everyone else out. that is the holy purpose of creative work. anything else is corruption.

its to convey information or ideas, imo

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

speaking of defanging, the bodice ripper sex wolves never act, think, or organise their societies like real wolves and it makes me furious. how am i supposed to suspend my disbelief

what do you mean? they have an alpha male who leads the pack and gets the hot bitches. pun intended. and everyone else is betas. that's how real wolf packs work right??????

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

I didn't know my posts were literature

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

what do you mean? they have an alpha male who leads the pack and gets the hot bitches. pun intended. and everyone else is betas. that's how real wolf packs work right??????

The current trend is for the werewolves in these books to acknowledge that their society doesn't actually resemble real wolf packs, but its OK because they aren't wolves, they are shifters. Because acknowledging a silly trope absolves you of all guilt for using it.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Splicer posted:

I didn't know my posts were literature
posting is the only path to righteous enlightenment.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

speaking of defanging, the bodice ripper sex wolves never act, think, or organise their societies like real wolves and it makes me furious. how am i supposed to suspend my disbelief

I don't know that the sex wolves stories would be bodice rippers because bodices are traditionally worn by women.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MikeJF posted:

I don't know that the sex wolves stories would be bodice rippers because bodices are traditionally worn by women.

the sex wolves stories are straight now

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Alaois posted:

God forbid women-coded-twink-boys do anything.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Alaois posted:

Capitalism can subsume anything.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
*presses fingers to earpiece*

BReaking news on the bodice ripper werewolf sex front

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

very problematic to say that bodices are exclusively female or that sex wolves are exclusively male

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

very problematic to say that bodices are exclusively female or that sex wolves are exclusively male

Um, all dogs are boys and all cats are girls I think I saw a study on this once :v:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TwoPair posted:

Um, all dogs are boys and all cats are girls I think I saw a study on this once :v:

By one Troy Barnes, Greendale Community College.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Arbetor posted:

The current trend is for the werewolves in these books to acknowledge that their society doesn't actually resemble real wolf packs, but its OK because they aren't wolves, they are shifters. Because acknowledging a silly trope absolves you of all guilt for using it.

Going one step further and saying it's because they're as much human as wolf, if not more so, would be fine. Highlight how they definitely aren't regular wolves just as much as the bestial stuff highlights that they definitely aren't regular humans. I swear I've seen that take on it before, though for the life of me can't recall where.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

i feel we are all referring to specific and different instances of sex wolves in media and it goes to show the diversity of the sex wolf genre

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

disposablewords posted:

Going one step further and saying it's because they're as much human as wolf, if not more so, would be fine. Highlight how they definitely aren't regular wolves just as much as the bestial stuff highlights that they definitely aren't regular humans. I swear I've seen that take on it before, though for the life of me can't recall where.

Might have been Terry Pratchett. I think it's the Fifth Elephant where he makes a point that werewolves aren't people who turn into wolves, they are their own thing that lies somewhere between wolves and people and different from both. Just like people don't like them for transforming to look like wolves, actual wolves don't like them because they transform to look like people.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

satyrs and fauns should make a comeback

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ashcans posted:

Just like people don't like them for transforming to look like wolves, actual wolves don't like them because they transform to look like people.

IIRC it's not just because they transform to look human, wolves hate werewolves because they can have human monstrous behaviour. A wolf is an animal, it just does what it needs to survive. Being sadistic is a human thing.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

A werewolf combines the cunning of a wolf with the viciousness of a human. That's why they're so dangerous.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

MikeJF posted:

Being sadistic is a human thing.

Huh. Could have sworn it was a cat thing.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

Huh. Could have sworn it was a cat thing.

Wolves aren't fond of catwolves either

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
A catwolf is basically a cheetah when you think of it.

I think they would get along pretty well.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
How about Angel Catbird?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
What a good addition to Wilde Life Birdie has been :allears:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Captain Oblivious posted:

What a good addition to Wilde Life Birdie has been :allears:

Her face in panel 2 of the current one is great.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Tragic that Oscar is going to die now, but I guess we'll get to continue with the Cliff and Birdie buddy comedy where they try to figure out what ate him.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Die? I think we are just being introduced to yet another magical lady that will inevitably have the hots for Oscar.

But to speak with sincerity, I really like today's page. Haunting and majestic.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
reminds me of the bit in David Brin when humans uplifted dolphins + whales and were all "ummm, sorry about all the near-extinction poo poo" and the dolphins response was basically "i mean it's the law of the sea out there baby poo poo gets killed" which did not make the humans feel any better!

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

I remember folks here taking about Carboniferous some years back? Well, the comic just finished, so if you're looking to read it through and get some answers to the comic's weird setup, now would be the time!

(They were some pretty good answers)

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
Widdershins is back!

https://www.widdershinscomic.com/wdshn/may-22th-2024

Last Visible Dog posted:

I remember folks here taking about Carboniferous some years back? Well, the comic just finished, so if you're looking to read it through and get some answers to the comic's weird setup, now would be the time!

(They were some pretty good answers)

That was a very satisfying resolution to the story.

isasphere fucked around with this message at 05:39 on May 23, 2024

TinfoilHate
Nov 19, 2003

What the hell is wrong
with you people?
After 650 days, Prequel has updated. I'm pretty sure the comic will neither complete nor die.

It is eternal.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Now I’m wondering if I’ve missed any pages of Outsider in the past five years…

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kazinsal posted:

Now I’m wondering if I’ve missed any pages of Outsider in the past five years…

Last new page was November of 2023.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

TinfoilHate posted:

After 650 days, Prequel has updated. I'm pretty sure the comic will neither complete nor die.

It is eternal.

lmfao

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Prequel will reach its conclusion - the opening scene of TES4: Oblivion - on the day Elder Scrolls VII releases

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Wasn't really expecting The Whiteboard to do a full-on time travel storyline, but y'know, I probably should have all things considered.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kazinsal posted:

Wasn't really expecting The Whiteboard to do a full-on time travel storyline, but y'know, I probably should have all things considered.

The Wormhole Gun story goes back almost to the beginning.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
If you've been waiting to catch up on Unsounded, you're gonna want to start fairly soon as holy poo poo are we fully at the fireworks factory of book 1. Ashley Cope does body horror with the best of them, and it should be a pretty steady run to the epilogue of the book based on her expectations after her last buffer-refilling break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

TinfoilHate posted:

It is eternal.

Deepest of sighs.