Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
Wouldn't that qualify under fair use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

Stall_19 posted:

Wouldn't that qualify under fair use?
Nobody really knows the rules of fair use which means if it puts WWE in a bad light they'll just put the production in lawyer hell for several years. Didn't WWE end up getting some kind of stake in Dark Side of the Ring in the last two years anyway?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Okay it is wild to me that the Black Saturday episode jumped all the way ahead to Vince's current scandal and the Endeavor merger.

I did not know all that was behind Black Saturday though. Legit fascinating.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Watched the A&E show on Austin's last match & really enjoyed it. Doesn't waste time or rehash a lot, which I liked especially with him & Owens. Really surprised me with how much leeway they got to have fun & call things on the fly.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Watched the Sandman episode and two things stuck out:

1. He is one of the last wrestlers I would have expected to be a Chip & Dale dancer and gigolo.

2. It felt off hear his daughter talk about his time in ECW. She had to be in her early teens at that time? Most kids are like "Yeah, Dad was gone all the time. He was such a great father when he was home though. Except when he is intoxicated and beats up Mom." It felt like she lived through his ECW era as an adult right along with him though.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
I hope they provide a definitive answer as to who killed WCW and not a generic "Well no one factor truly killed WCW, a number of them did" What I want is "Who killed WCW? Mark Jindrak. Thank you for watching, goodbye"

a dumb moron
Mar 19, 2024

augh

Stall_19 posted:

I hope they provide a definitive answer as to who killed WCW and not a generic "Well no one factor truly killed WCW, a number of them did" What I want is "Who killed WCW? Mark Jindrak. Thank you for watching, goodbye"

Jamie Kellner killed WCW.

Whether he killed it to stick it to a Turner exec or because he hates wrestling depends who you ask.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

If this was a WWE doc on A&E the answer would be "WWE superiority killed WCW".

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

The Grey posted:

Watched the Sandman episode and two things stuck out:

1. He is one of the last wrestlers I would have expected to be a Chip & Dale dancer and gigolo.

2. It felt off hear his daughter talk about his time in ECW. She had to be in her early teens at that time? Most kids are like "Yeah, Dad was gone all the time. He was such a great father when he was home though. Except when he is intoxicated and beats up Mom." It felt like she lived through his ECW era as an adult right along with him though.

Kids in hosed-up living situations often have to develop emotional maturity kinda fast to deal with everything, so that's not uncommon.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

The Grey posted:

That's the ending of that Monday Night War "documentary" on the WWE Network. :v:

a dumb moron
Mar 19, 2024

augh

The Grey posted:

It technically is a WWE doc because it’s produced by Seven Bucks

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

a dumb moron posted:

Jamie Kellner killed WCW.

Whether he killed it to stick it to a Turner exec or because he hates wrestling depends who you ask.

I feel like it could be a bit of both. I don't know for certain but I had the impression that not many Turner execs liked WCW; it was crass, lowbrow, populist, working-class entertainment, and corporations had already been trying to move away from that sort of branding for years in order to find more respectable and lucrative* offerings. They could put up with it when it was highly and immediately successful, but when it fell flat on its face a lot of them probably couldn't wait to give it the boot. I read that Turner himself had nostalgia for wrestling but I think he had pretty much no power at the end?

* notwithstanding the billions lost in the AOL merger, lol

a dumb moron
Mar 19, 2024

augh

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I feel like it could be a bit of both. I don't know for certain but I had the impression that not many Turner execs liked WCW; it was crass, lowbrow, populist, working-class entertainment, and corporations had already been trying to move away from that sort of branding for years in order to find more respectable and lucrative* offerings. They could put up with it when it was highly and immediately successful, but when it fell flat on its face a lot of them probably couldn't wait to give it the boot. I read that Turner himself had nostalgia for wrestling but I think he had pretty much no power at the end?

* notwithstanding the billions lost in the AOL merger, lol

MassRafter and Bix would be better references for this but I believe both of them said Jamie Kellner denied he cancelled WCW because he hated wrestling.

But this is also the guy who cancelled Animaniacs so gently caress him regardless.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

We all killed WCW because none of us believed hard enough, like Tinkerbell.

a dumb moron
Mar 19, 2024

augh
I couldn't get through the first 5 minutes of the premiere of "Who Killed WCW" because I knew it was gonna be mostly bullshit.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

They definitely seem like they got an impressive collection of bullshitters together. Bret seems like he'll be funny in a "gently caress this, gently caress everyone" way though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

a dumb moron posted:

MassRafter and Bix would be better references for this but I believe both of them said Jamie Kellner denied he cancelled WCW because he hated wrestling.

But this is also the guy who cancelled Animaniacs so gently caress him regardless.
Correct, Kellner told Guy Evans this was bullshit. The "Jamie Kellner hated wrestling thing" comes from something Jim Barnett said to Dave Meltzer right after Kellner took over the Turner networks. The explanation Kellner gave made plenty of sense, that the Fusient deal had what he viewed as something of a poison pill (that Fusient would still control the time slots even if WCW ceased to exist) and so he got fed up and canceled WCW to clean up the mess. Especially since it turns out that Steve Heyer, the Turner exec who had been negotiating the Fusient deal, had been trying to mess with Kellner politically for a while and left when Kellner took over the Turner networks: https://www.tvweek.com/in-depth/2001/03/kellner-boldly-assumes-hot-sea/