Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Yeah I think Almas/Black is the match to make next. Dream got himself over enough that he can hang around the upper-midcard for a while, so you don't necessarily need to revisit that program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Benne posted:

Yeah I think Almas/Black is the match to make next. Dream got himself over enough that he can hang around the upper-midcard for a while, so you don't necessarily need to revisit that program.

In the main NXT thread before he even debuted I told you guys WWE had big plans for Black. He made his Florida house show debut in a suit so management could see how he'd look a suit (main eventer stuff), the high production entrance and how he was booked to go over tonight and in general.

And as you said Benne essentially wrestlers in NXT don't necessarily float about on Takeover cards either they get cycled up the card, called up or you are placed in No Way Jose/Itami type limbo. The card space is at real premium.

rovert fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Nov 19, 2017

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
DEEP Tough Enough reference:

https://twitter.com/dajosc11/status/932124236063363072

Besides the obvious Rude homage with the tights and ribs selling Dream did a lot of other classic 80s spots tonight too. Clearly a tape watcher. But not as gratingly reverential as the "NWA AM I RITE" The Revival. While not as shallow as the NXT trainee who has JUST watched the best of Triple H, Rock and Austin on the Network and literally nothing else.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I think the title picture going forward should be Almas, Black, and Cole. That way you could have Aleister finally lose a match via some sort of fuckery and then you really push the dynamic of a loner face fighting to overcome heels that are trying to outcheat each other. And when all hope appears to be lost, the other half of Black Velvet hits the ring for a God pop.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Chris James 2 posted:

Ciampa's out till March

Perfect timing to show his face at the rumble takeover and cost Gargano the title, then!

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Charles Gnarwin posted:

I think the title picture going forward should be Almas, Black, and Cole. That way you could have Aleister finally lose a match via some sort of fuckery and then you really push the dynamic of a loner face fighting to overcome heels that are trying to outcheat each other. And when all hope appears to be lost, the other half of Black Velvet hits the ring for a God pop.

Again, in theory, I am a major Adam Cole fan but in practice, has been pretty underwhelming in NXT so far.

He's a good looking dude, who represents himself tremendously well in person with fans, management, on social media and with the media in interviews. The longstanding narrative with some is that maybe he was preserving himself/dogging it in ROH but HOWEVER, the switch will be flipped when he signs a WWE contract. But hasn't materialised yet at least. Every time I see him on TV he gets smaller and smaller when he is already a diminutive size for a NXT or WWE. Black, Almas and someone like an Oney come across as a million more terms hungier than Cole does.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Kevin Owens wore an Undisputed Era shirt tonight at Takeover but do think it is remotely possible Cole gets called up within the same time period as Owens did?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Since I'm still on a high from the show, here are my pointless snowflakes

Lars/Ohno ***
Black/Dream ****1/4
Women's 4-way ***3/4
Almas/Drew ****1/2
WarGames ****1/2

Benne fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Nov 19, 2017

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

A good read except for my money Dream / Black was the match of the night. They went out there and proved beyond doubt that smark irony was never the real fuel of the feud. The loudest pop of the night, to my ears, was the one Dream got when he pulled out his swing-over DDT

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

rovert posted:

Again, in theory, I am a major Adam Cole fan but in practice, has been pretty underwhelming in NXT so far.

He's a good looking dude, who represents himself tremendously well in person with fans, management, on social media and with the media in interviews. The longstanding narrative with some is that maybe he was preserving himself/dogging it in ROH but HOWEVER, the switch will be flipped when he signs a WWE contract. But hasn't materialised yet at least. Every time I see him on TV he gets smaller and smaller when he is already a diminutive size for a NXT or WWE. Black, Almas and someone like an Oney come across as a million more terms hungier than Cole does.

He looks like a Shawn Michaels impersonator that you’d hire for birthday parties. I haven’t seen him much before but I can’t take him seriously at all.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Basic Chunnel posted:

A good read except for my money Dream / Black was the match of the night. They went out there and proved beyond doubt that smark irony was never the real fuel of the feud. The loudest pop of the night, to my ears, was the one Dream got when he pulled out his swing-over DDT

Wish I had the decibel meter data but the near fall Almas had on Drew seemed louder.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Basic Chunnel posted:

Very true. I was always on board with the feud, but the actual match was so much better than I could've anticipated. Patrick's drat near the total package as a performer.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Drew, nooooo. :(

At least this means he'll probably be back on the main roster when he heals. And it's around that time of year they usually do a shakeup with the rosters and some callups.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Basic Chunnel posted:

that move ahhhhhhhh- it loving rules.

if thats how wwe does wargames? man i dont care if its not like the wcw version that ruled.

for the love of god though, we need stables for this to work. please vince. stables, please. please dont put together teams like dolph, the drifter, and kane or something.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
If they start selling the War Games cage it's gotta show up on the main roster, right? They used the shark cage over the ring like three times

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Holy poo poo Almas won I did not see that coming :stare:

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Rarity posted:

Holy poo poo Almas won I did not see that coming :stare:

Would LOVE an authoritative source stating that it was 100% plan before Drew tore his bicep.

Almas and Zelina seemed genuinely touched if not surprised in the post-match celebrations. I do know Cole/McIntrye at the next Takeover was the plan going back months and months.

Their reaction wasn't that of someone that a title win wasn't assured/old hat/in the bag etc:

https://twitter.com/totaldivaseps/status/932074577211031553
https://twitter.com/totaldivaseps/status/932075099477463040
https://twitter.com/totaldivaseps/status/932075940104065025

As Wrestling fans or just students of human nature do posters here feel the same?

rovert fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Nov 19, 2017

Envisioned
Dec 31, 2007

Hasta la Sunset Vista, baby
Yeah I got that vibe a bit too, especially after it was confirmed Drew got injured.

But at the same time, if the injury happened on the last spot, is there really time to call an audible there? Would love to hear the producer chatter during that match.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

The celebration was somewhat abnormal but even so I would be surprised to learn that the plan switched so quickly. If the injury happened earlier than I was led to believe immediately after the match then I could see it though. Everything went smoothly with the production.

It's not out of the realm of possibility. There's plenty of communication and Drew is a veteran who could make that sort of call about himself.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Yeah, I'm not sure how this would have been an audible or anything. My thought is more likely that Vince saw him and wanted him. I don't doubt it was a late decision, though.

Hell, I'm sure it was a real celebration, too. Almas failed out if the gate, floundered, and remembering what Dave has said in the past year or so, he went though a big crisis of confidence. Winning the title is his proof that he's finally made it.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Imagine if things fell into place for Itami like they did last night for Almas even on just a time and place basis. :cry:

Instead, Itami is probably wrestling Ariya Davari this Tuesday on 205 Live. :sadwave:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah I'm more inclined to believe that Vince saw Drew's thighs, immediately forgot that he was mad at him, and decided to bring him straight to the main roster rather than spend more time down in NXT so they booked Almas to win.

Of course even if that was the case, now he's injured so Drew probably isn't going to be around for awhile.

Anyway, Almas owns and it's cool as poo poo that he is champion now.

Envisioned
Dec 31, 2007

Hasta la Sunset Vista, baby
I also just idly wondered during the match, unprompted by anything, if there had ever been an injury during a championship match where the injured champ knows it's bad enough to not risk further spots but also doesn't have time to convey that to the ref, so just decides not to kick out.

It's me I cursed the match.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Envisioned posted:

I also just idly wondered during the match, unprompted by anything, if there had ever been an injury during a championship match where the injured champ knows it's bad enough to not risk further spots but also doesn't have time to convey that to the ref, so just decides not to kick out.

It's me I cursed the match.

It might have happened before, but I can't think of any notable examples. Typically when someone gets injured during an important title match, they just get to the finish as soon as possible with the planned winner going over, regardless of who's hurt. The mindset is that you can audible from an injured champion after the fact (like vacating the belt and planning a new direction) better than during the heat of the moment, when nobody's on the same page and a million more things can go wrong that ruins the finish.

Not an important title match, but we saw an example of the latter last year, when Neville blew out his ankle during a match with Jericho. Both guys immediately knew it was bad and Jericho rolled up Neville to get out of there ASAP, but the ref spotted shoulders up and didn't count a pin, because he didn't know a guy was hurt. Jericho got pissed and just shoved the ref for a DQ, making things way more awkward than it should've been.

Benne fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Nov 19, 2017

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I was really digging this up until the War Games match, which I understand everyone else liked far more than I did. TUE anti-clicks with me. Everytime I see them I feel a desire to look at my phone.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I was rewatching some of the show and my main takeaway from the NXT title match is that Zelina Vega is really short. I know Drew is a big dude but what is she like 4'8"?

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

TTBF posted:

I was really digging this up until the War Games match, which I understand everyone else liked far more than I did. TUE anti-clicks with me. Everytime I see them I feel a desire to look at my phone.

On Twitter, I joked that they are the new X-Factor to me. Lameo-o near go away heat.

They are a weak top-line act relative to the Bullet Club or the Shield. ROH/The Elite running against Takeover DID take a chunk out NXT's attendance from accounts from fans on the scene.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
In his latest VIP show, Wade Keller says that he is hearing that the finish of the match went as planned and Almas was always meant to come out with the title.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That show was loving SIIIICK, and there's more tomorrow! :neckbeard: Patrick Clark is a goddamn prodigy, holy loving poo poo. That War Games RULED. Yay Andrade, though that really makes me wonder who they have challenge for the title unless they plan for an Adam Cole/Undisputed Era tweener/face run. That or Aleister, but I thought he was supposed to be main roster sooner than later.

Seriously though, Black/Dream was goddamn insane and NOTHING he did on Tough Enough made me think that Clark would be this good, let alone this fast.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh man that show was so amazing. Lars/Ohno was a beautiful stiff hoss-off, Ember winning is cool and good because she's a great worker and Drew/Almas was awesome and I'm so happy with Almas winning the belt cause he's been so amazing these last few months. War Games was even more brutal and intense than I was expecting it to be and I've developed a new found love for Killian Dain. And Roddy got a lil' AOP outfit! :3:

Match of the night for me was Black/Dream though. Everything about it was perfect from Dream's tribute to Rick Rude to Black clowning on Dream at the start to all the taunting and mind games to the nearfalls at the end to Black saying Dream's name and giving him what he wanted all along. Please don't let this be the end of their angle. They've not even made out once yet!

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
rovert, you said management loves Clark, right? I can't imagine them not, and he's basically a pure PC project, which is a feather in that cap as well.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
I have a feeling Ember's first feud will be with Peyton. Kairi did mess up breaking up a pin last night, plus she seems likely to take the title at Takeover: New Orleans. Not Philly.

Regardless, she is getting a decent amount of vitriol/threats from dipshits on twitter for costing Peyton in the first place. Which is really sad and makes me dislike Peyton's fanbase even more. This is on top of other people already writing her off as a failure and will "never amount to anything". :smith:

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
PeytonTruth.org
https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/932131780957786112

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah I'm more inclined to believe that Vince saw Drew's thighs, immediately forgot that he was mad at him, and decided to bring him straight to the main roster rather than spend more time down in NXT so they booked Almas to win.

Of course even if that was the case, now he's injured so Drew probably isn't going to be around for awhile.

Anyway, Almas owns and it's cool as poo poo that he is champion now.
Whats the over/under on how many hours Vince and Meltz could chat thighs before one of them got bored?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

My girlfriend saw Velveteen Dream for all of 10 seconds and now he’s her favourite wrestler

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

TTBF posted:

TUE anti-clicks with me. Everytime I see them I feel a desire to look at my phone.

Same. Doesn't help that they did gently caress all to impress during the match last night.

It's basically a team of Itami x 3.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Authors of Pain are basically Gimmick Match MVPs at this point, they’re so good at throwing dudes into things

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

St Evan Echoes posted:

My girlfriend saw Velveteen Dream for all of 10 seconds and now he’s her favourite wrestler

Velveteen Dream is everyone's favourite wrestler. Most people just don't know it yet.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

St Evan Echoes posted:

Whats the over/under on how many hours Vince and Meltz could chat thighs before one of them got bored?

Depends on if Vince needs his 35 minutes of sleep before Meltz needs to reboot to install updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
Lil' Roddy AOP rear end was very cool and I think Dream/Black edged out War Games for MOTN

• Locked thread