Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Hello!

Hello!

EXECUTE ORDER 66.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Potato Salad posted:

Hello!

Hello!

EXECUTE ORDER 66.

a fun game to play: put your nose in front of a parrots face and see if it bites

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
When I do that to Taco he tries to pick my nose.

I'm not game enough to try it with a wild bird.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

GoldStandardConure posted:

When I do that to Taco he tries to pick my nose.

I'm not game enough to try it with a wild bird.
Yeah, Judah just leans up and tries to preen my eyebrows.

Vicious attack bird :3:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
"Hello Taco"

*taps beak with nose*

(((FREE BOOGERS)))

*crams beak up nose, devours*

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If you're gonna leave the buffet open don't be surprised if people take advantage :colbert:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

GoldStandardConure posted:

"Hello Taco"

*taps beak with nose*

(((FREE BOOGERS)))

*crams beak up nose, devours*

This is EXACTLY what Alexis will do.

She's also a shirt-diving-bird.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Ohtori: oh you want me to boop? *boop* no? well gently caress you then bye
Steve: oh hello hi :3: i'm a cockatiel :3: PET ME NOW :derptiel:
Inko: *removes flesh* :black101:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Battle Pigeon posted:

Ohtori: oh you want me to boop? *boop* no? well gently caress you then bye
Steve: oh hello hi :3: i'm a cockatiel :3: PET ME NOW :derptiel:
Inko: *removes flesh* :black101:
See this is why I don't know if even if I had the money/time I'd get a more complex parrots :3: Cockatiel love is pretty great, they're such guileless little idiots in my experience.

(Maybe a hyacinth macaw. Just one.)

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Conures are pretty much the best for affection :3:. Sammy loves to run his beak all over my face so it's basically whatever is closest. He has yet to bite me face wise, but there has definitely been some hair yanking out. My favorite thing though is to put him on something and cup my hand near him and he just falls over himself to run over and lean into me for cuddle times. The grooming can be a bit intense though haha

Tendai posted:

See this is why I don't know if even if I had the money/time I'd get a more complex parrots :3: Cockatiel love is pretty great, they're such guileless little idiots in my experience.

(Maybe a hyacinth macaw. Just one.)

Does anyone in the thread have a hyacinth macaw? And only very slightly related but mostly cause I want to see this, are there any Mindo updates?

edit:
vvvv Thanks Frogmanv2 I'm only about 1/4 into my coffee and being a real human being again

Shirec fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 29, 2015

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

(pssst it's mindo)

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Shirec posted:

Does anyone in the thread have a hyacinth macaw?
And if they do are they married and if not can I marry them to get to live with their parrot because I love them?

Also, seconding more Mindo. I was looking for something in this thread a couple days back and found that picture where his butt's all tucked up to sleep :3:

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Boop gives bird kisses when you put your nose next to her. She's super gentle with faces.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Sekkira posted:

Boop gives bird kisses when you put your nose next to her. She's super gentle with faces.

Daisy will tolerate your face as long as you have facial hair to preen.

Wrecking Ball
Jul 16, 2011
Do you have to teach birds to want scritches? Or do some just naturally seek out attention that way?

Neither of my budgies seem keen on being touched. If I even try to put a finger towards them they either hop on it, or just move away.

The most I've been able to do is slightly touching Pekoe's toe yesterday. Sometimes I can boop my nose to his beak and he will nibble back. Milly is just afraid of my hands (will step up but very frantically, and go all thin and eagerly wait to be placed somewhere else.) Even though I've had Milly a year longer than Pekoe, maybe Pekoe is just friendlier? :(

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I'm not sure exactly how Pion learned to like scritches. I think a factor was that I helped scratch off some left-over pinfeather casings from her crest, that had been annoying her (or at least me) for a while. And that taught her that fingers to head could be a positive experience.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

Oscar loves scritches. It took a while though. I started by doing it even though he hated. Now he gets pissed when I don't do it.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Wrecking Ball posted:

Do you have to teach birds to want scritches? Or do some just naturally seek out attention that way?

Neither of my budgies seem keen on being touched. If I even try to put a finger towards them they either hop on it, or just move away.

The most I've been able to do is slightly touching Pekoe's toe yesterday. Sometimes I can boop my nose to his beak and he will nibble back. Milly is just afraid of my hands (will step up but very frantically, and go all thin and eagerly wait to be placed somewhere else.) Even though I've had Milly a year longer than Pekoe, maybe Pekoe is just friendlier? :(

Its more of a trust development thing I think. Also sometimes your bird will just hate you and refuse scratches for literally no reason.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

Wrecking Ball posted:

Have you tried clicker/target training? I've been doing this with my troubled bird and it really works wonders. I'm not quite yet to the point where I can touch Kiwi but she's calmed down a lot, bites less, and generally seems a lot more interested in what I'm doing. It might take a bit longer with budgies than conures, but it might be worth trying!

Edit: And I meant more for being ok with your hands than anything, hopefully scritches will come after!

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Tendai posted:

Cockatiel love is pretty great, they're such guileless little idiots in my experience.

Pssst

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

How long before steve violently shreds his ribbon?

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

He looks chuffed to bits

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Love it.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

anotherblownsave posted:

Putting it on the inside of the cage will be the best present he's had this year. I once hung a bunch of luxury millet, grass, and chilli seeds up for mine and they immediately went for the strings holding it together instead.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

anotherblownsave posted:

It wasn't long before bed so he didn't bother to move at all. I could leave it in his cage somewhere and see what state it's in at the end of the day?

learnincurve posted:

Putting it on the inside of the cage will be the best present he's had this year. I once hung a bunch of luxury millet, grass, and chilli seeds up for mine and they immediately went for the strings holding it together instead.

Steve has the cardboard tubes from toilet rolls attached to his cage at multiple spots, you can see a half eaten one in front of him in the photo,another in the back on the left, and one on the front left of the photo. He goes through the one he's sat next to every few days. He also bites different patterns/shapes in them depending on where they are in the cage which is kind of interesting

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Battle Pigeon posted:

Steve has the cardboard tubes from toilet rolls attached to his cage at multiple spots, you can see a half eaten one in front of him in the photo,another in the back on the left, and one on the front left of the photo. He goes through the one he's sat next to every few days. He also bites different patterns/shapes in them depending on where they are in the cage which is kind of interesting

Sell chewed up rolls as bird art. Use proceeds to buy stuff for bird.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

nielsm posted:

Sell chewed up rolls as bird art. Use proceeds to buy stuff for bird.

Watch bird proceed to ignore stuff, and eat the box the stuff came in

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Battle Pigeon posted:

Watch bird proceed to ignore stuff, and eat the box the stuff came in

Sell box, buy more stuff for bird

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Trick is to use reverse psychology. "Nah bird, I don't care if you eat that check but you better not gnaw on those leather strips or I'll end you!"

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo :pusheen:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

learnincurve posted:

We bought Taco this really fantastic hanging coconut hut that had all sorts of bits for him to bite and shred, hard bits to work his beak down and soft coconut husk to pull apart. It was hollow so he could climb inside if he wanted to, but we would fill it with treats for him.

So naturally within a week he bit through the rope that held the whole thing together and it just fell apart into a big pile of bits at the bottom of his cage.

Well done, idiot.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsFjJDxMHSA

Gotcha what are you doing??

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Is that the formerly abused bird that was getting cuddles in another video you posted? No wonder he loooooves her. :3:

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Is that the formerly abused bird that was getting cuddles in another video you posted? No wonder he loooooves her. :3:

Yep, that's Gotcha, the bird best known for running on the floor and yelling complete nonsense. He acts so silly, confident and happy that you'd never know his past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njENNAZKPvA

schnickety scribe
Jul 5, 2015

Sekkira posted:

Simon is generally good with faces and will give kisses to my eyebrows and the bridge of my nose (complete with adorable kissy sounds :kimchi:), but he has this weird thing about lips. Sometimes he's cool with receiving kisses, but most of the time he gets pissed because we won't let him be a dentist bird and crawl in our mouths, so he'll bite our lips to make us open said mouths. I have no idea where he picked up the whole "dentist bird" thing. He is just a spaz who is fascinated by teeth, I guess.

Gunter, well, I would hope that it's understood that she is a blender, and only jade can give her kisses.

Pazuzu just generally doesn't care (as long as Gunter is in the room). He is fine with kisses (as long as he is not upside-down), at least we think he is, judging by the fact that he just doesn't react at all to them. He'd probably be completely okay if one of us licked him (again, as long as Gunter is in the room and he is rightside-up, he is okay).

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh jeez look at that birb :3: That's one happy giant potato right there. Even better when I realized who he was and his story.

EDIT: I was looking up a few things for the Islam thread in A/T when I looked at that and now my youtube recommendations are just loving weird :stare:

Also, this :3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fphSfjShySI Gotcha, no!!!!

EDIT 2: TOO MANY SMILIES but who can resist

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

When can we expect more Toast in our lives? It's been the kind of day where I need all the adorable bird pictures.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

learnincurve posted:

Thor, drama, Loki, shy.

What kind of birds are drama and shy? They are very pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Linoleated parakeets maybe, or something related? They look kind of like it.