Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Potato Salad posted:

How is skillet adapting? S/he seemed pretty chill around you the last time you posted pictures, too.

Skillet's doing really well! He took a while to get comfortable with his surroundings but he was comfortable with being around us and interested in what we were doing from the get-go. He was quiet and pretty low-key on playing for the first week but he's gotten louder and more playful as time went on and now he's running around his cage, climbing all over everything, and making an unbelievable racket. We've been whistling and singing at him since we brought him home and he's become quite the little songbird, though his freestyle elements are questionable. He likes to shred things and ring the bells in his cage, usually while whistling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQi2jUbs6UY

We've got him whistling some familiar parts of tunes but he gets through the parts he hasn't figured out yet by either screaming really loud or making a vaguely musical trilling sound, like he's mumbling along to the words and hoping we don't notice. :derptiel: Overall, he is a very loud and vocal bird and I can already see we are going to have to work hard to not let him develop a bad screaming habit. He can put a lot of noise out of those tiny bird lungs! Yeesh. He is a little nippy, but we're working on it.

other observations: He's pretty indifferent about bathing. He gets over things he's afraid of pretty quickly. We have had no problems getting him to eat pellets, and haven't had much trouble introducing him to fresh food. Radish greens seem to be his favorite, followed by radishes they're attached to, and then green beans. He also likes to chomp on a good piece of lettuce. I don't think he cares much for fruit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
daily taco

thank

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
More birds please.

Thank you for your compliance.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

flock of assholes woke me up to go out and feed them in the cold this morning

pictures if they do it again tomorrow

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

He's small, even for a GCC. teeny birb.

Pocket sized. All the better to fit next to your hand (or on) when using computer!

Shirec posted:

:swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon:
This is amazing!

:3:

Mirthless posted:

Just chilling with my home skillet

He's really cute and sounds like an awesome bird. Talkative (not screamy) birds are hilarious to listen to warble away in their little schizophrenic voices. You got lucky with him RE food and pellets too!

Potato Salad posted:

Holy loving poo poo, what?!?

??

GoldStandardConure posted:

daily taco

thank

Oh hey b

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Battle Pigeon posted:

Talkative (not screamy) birds are hilarious to listen to warble away in their little schizophrenic voices.
So true. 90% of the time if Judah's making noise he's just kind of babbling away in human cadence but cockatiel words :3: I really love that noise, like he's just kind of mumbling and chattering to someone I can't see. Sometimes he gets sort of offended-looking if I answer back, like I interrupted the conversation.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I should be grateful, esp having three shitheads in an apartment, that if one of us humans are around then 90% of the time the birds are silent or just make the occasional wark. If we're out of the room then they're generally still quiet though occasionally have bouts of squawking and the occasional yell to see if anyone is around. They've been trained out of screaming pretty successfully though

I really wouldn't have minded if Steve turned out to be talkative though, cockatiel talking noises are really cute, both the actual words and the fake attempts at sounding like conversation. Inko is the most noisy and he mostly just makes bitching noises and clucks and squeaks with the odd word thrown in there to try and get attention

(Late last night after birbs were covered I was boiling the kettle, the sound of which Inko hates for some reason. All was silent and just as it was about to click off and done, out of the darkness the other end of the apartment comes "DOIN BABY :( " )

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

IMO the single best parrot for 'randomly talks in it's own language' is budgies. I could sit and listen to a bunch of budgies burbling with each other for HOURS.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Battle Pigeon posted:

I should be grateful, esp having three shitheads in an apartment, that if one of us humans are around then 90% of the time the birds are silent or just make the occasional wark. If we're out of the room then they're generally still quiet though occasionally have bouts of squawking and the occasional yell to see if anyone is around. They've been trained out of screaming pretty successfully though

I really wouldn't have minded if Steve turned out to be talkative though, cockatiel talking noises are really cute, both the actual words and the fake attempts at sounding like conversation. Inko is the most noisy and he mostly just makes bitching noises and clucks and squeaks with the odd word thrown in there to try and get attention

(Late last night after birbs were covered I was boiling the kettle, the sound of which Inko hates for some reason. All was silent and just as it was about to click off and done, out of the darkness the other end of the apartment comes "DOIN BABY :( " )
That's basically my life in that first paragraph. 99% of the time Judah is chill as long as he can see someone. There are the days when he's just a shrieking rear end in a top hat, but I chalk that up to "he's a parrot" and deal with it. When everyone leaves the room (or when I leave a room initially and he's alone with someone else) he contact calls HARD for about five minutes and will do so sporadically until you come back in sight. I'm never sure how much of that is living in an aviary and then a studio apartment for the first couple years of his life and how much is just Cockatiel. I'm okay with contact calls, they have a reason. No-reason screaming is what I lucked out on with him, he generally doesn't bother because why do that when you could yell at your own head in your water dish or take a nap :derptiel:

Also, "DOIN BABY :(" made me lose my poo poo giggling. Covered birds talking for some reason just amuses me. When I walk by Judah when it's dark and he's asleep but I'm up, and he says something in that little cockatiel voice (usually a very inquisitive "pretty bird?") it's just great :3:

Tendai fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Oct 1, 2015

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Agent355 posted:

IMO the single best parrot for 'randomly talks in it's own language' is budgies. I could sit and listen to a bunch of budgies burbling with each other for HOURS.

Yeah, I love budgie noises. As much appeal as the concept of a 'too has, space-wise I'm pretty much limited to a conure or a couple budgies. There's a petco (petsmart?) near my local Target and sometimes I go in just to watch/listen to the budgies.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax

Agent355 posted:

Agreed. I love listening to my little fluffy jerks just chatting with each other. :3:

Budgies are just painfully adorable in general. I caught mine fluffed up and grinding their beaks just now and my heart melted.

Here's a terrible tablet camera snap of Gnosis:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Trebuchet King posted:

Yeah, I love budgie noises. As much appeal as the concept of a 'too has, space-wise I'm pretty much limited to a conure or a couple budgies. There's a petco (petsmart?) near my local Target and sometimes I go in just to watch/listen to the budgies.

A flock of wild budgies lives on the campus of the university where I work. Most mornings when I walk in to work it's to the sound of cheepcheepcheepcheepcheepcheepcheepcheepcheepcheep.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My budgie starts to sing like a canary, the canary goes "ooh loud noises competition", which he always wins, and then the budgie sits there chuttering and beak grinding in a sulk.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I really have my heart set on getting a large parrot someday. Probably an african grey, I would just love to own something smarter than a child.

But man, if I didn't intend to get a large parrot I would just fill my house with budgies and be content. Best small bird.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Showed Inko Ohtori's old happy hut, he was nervous of it so I got Ohtori out and carried him around in it to show Inko. Ohtori apparently got horny and was posturing and regurgitating and pinning at Inko, still in the hut a bird's length from him. Inko first tried threatening back, then got nervous, then apparently confused, tried touching beaks (they managed twice but I took Ohtori away, not wanting to risk biting down from either), and finally attempted to put his head down for scratches from someone, anyone because wtf is going on

So I held Ohtori up to Inko and Ohtori tried to preen Inko :3: Instant GOOD BIRDs and treats all around. It would be a long time before I'd put Ohtori down and let him walk up to Inko though you don't fool me bird

E: fukkin lmfao

Battle Pigeon fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 1, 2015

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Battle Pigeon posted:

Inko first tried threatening back, then got nervous, then apparently confused, tried touching beaks, and finally attempted to put his head down for scratches from someone, anyone because wtf is going on
Are we totally sure Inko isn't just a well-disguised potato?

Because :derptiel: right there

:3:

EDIT oh jesus christ if people don't enlarge those pictures they are missing the amazing details of Ohtori's gently caress-me face. Every time I look at his face in the third one I lose it again.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Battle Pigeon posted:

Showed Inko Ohtori's old happy hut, he was nervous of it so I got Ohtori out and carried him around in it to show Inko. Ohtori apparently got horny and was posturing and regurgitating and pinning at Inko, still in the hut a bird's length from him. Inko first tried threatening back, then got nervous, then apparently confused, tried touching beaks (they managed twice but I took Ohtori away, not wanting to risk biting down from either), and finally attempted to put his head down for scratches from someone, anyone because wtf is going on

So I held Ohtori up to Inko and Ohtori tried to preen Inko :3: Instant GOOD BIRDs and treats all around. It would be a long time before I'd put Ohtori down and let him walk up to Inko though you don't fool me bird

E: fukkin lmfao

Hahaha, this is great. It's hard for me to get used to birds w/o dark eyes. Ohtori can give some good crazy face.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Shirec posted:

Hahaha, this is great. It's hard for me to get used to birds w/o dark eyes. Ohtori can give some good crazy face.
Right? By comparison Inko looks like he's totally off in his own space while light-eyed Ohtori just looks like he's gonna start humping him.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Mindo was having quite the crisis this morning. After taking his bowl of hunger strike worthy peach and pear to clean it, I tossed a blueberry up on the stand he refuses to use. Then it was 5-10 minutes of OMG OMG OMG OMG and trying to figure out how to get it without actually approaching it. He was on top of his cage when I went to get the camera, but then he wouldn't cooperate.

Eventually I gave in and fed it to him.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Shirec posted:

Senegals are my favorite light-eyed birds, they always look surprised about something when they pin.

HUH?!?!

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SaNChEzZ posted:

Senegals are my favorite light-eyed birds, they always look surprised about something when they pin.

HUH?!?!
Every senegal I've met has been an incredibly friendly parrot but the crazy eyes always make me assume they're waiting for a chance to maul me

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k

Excited Sennie you say?
Max loves them jalas.

One more, even more excited by the burbling budgies nearby:

artichoke fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 1, 2015

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

artichoke posted:

Excited Sennie you say?
Max loves them jalas.

I think I agree with Tendai, Max straight up looks like he is contemplating murder most foul. After he finishes this delicious, delicious treat

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I imagine their internal monologue is just a continuous, high-pitched buzzing noise

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
It's because unless you're their designated buddy they are plotting to kill you.

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k
Yesterday my husband came home and laid down on the bed to rest a little. Max was on his chair in the bedroom and just stared at him while making these low, whispery non-words (sounded like Mshemma-shem, washka bashessu shu-shu) like he was trying to figure out the fastest way to kill my husband before I stopped him. Eventually some crows appeared outside and he was distracted for good.

Right now he is head-behind-wing-one-footin-power-nappin' it, looking like a big green teardrop.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

It's because unless you're their designated buddy they are plotting to kill you.

Quakers are the same. Bobby asks my brother for scratches whenever he see him verbally (something he never does with me), waits until the finger is millimeters away, and clamps down as hard as he can. Only my brother too, never anyone else who meets him.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Not a bird, but I saved this little guy from the road today
http://imgur.com/9GDwKwg

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I imagine the soundtrack to that is just "AAAAGH." "AAAAGH." repeated over and over again.

PS Are there moths that are dangerous for parrots to eat because I'm pretty sure I just saw Judah bite a chunk out of one that landed briefly in his cage (we are having a small problem in this town with giantfuckingmoths that are red)

Dreggon posted:

flock of assholes woke me up to go out and feed them in the cold this morning

pictures if they do it again tomorrow
Ummmm??????

I don't see pictures.

So either they did it and you didn't take pictures in which case you LIED TO THE BIRD THREAD or they didn't do it in which case you should feed them and take pictures anyhow.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Tendai posted:

EDIT oh jesus christ if people don't enlarge those pictures they are missing the amazing details of Ohtori's gently caress-me face. Every time I look at his face in the third one I lose it again.

I really hate to ruin your view of him because it's hilarious but that isn't his gently caress-me face, that's his murder-face. Or at least his aggression pose and look-which to be fair he does frequently combine with his, ah, amorous advances towards Steve (and sometimes humans)

His gently caress-me face is basically his normal one, sometimes partly covered in vomit, with a very determined expression as he reverses into whoever or whatever is his current target

Either way agreed that he gives excellent crazy-face and dinosaur rage poses

artichoke posted:

Excited Sennie you say?
Max loves them jalas.

Confirmed, Senegals have even more excellent crazy-face

H110Hawk posted:

Mindo was having quite the crisis this morning. After taking his bowl of hunger strike worthy peach and pear to clean it, I tossed a blueberry up on the stand he refuses to use. Then it was 5-10 minutes of OMG OMG OMG OMG and trying to figure out how to get it without actually approaching it. He was on top of his cage when I went to get the camera, but then he wouldn't cooperate.

Eventually I gave in and fed it to him.

Poor tormented Mindo. So close, yet so far...

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Battle Pigeon posted:

I really hate to ruin your view of him because it's hilarious but that isn't his gently caress-me face, that's his murder-face. Or at least his aggression pose and look-which to be fair he does frequently combine with his, ah, amorous advances towards Steve (and sometimes humans)
Parrot relationships are so complex

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Finn is going to the vet. :( he freaked out in his cage and broke a blood feather

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

anotherblownsave posted:

Finn is going to the vet. :( he freaked out in his cage and broke a blood feather

I hope Finn is ok! Any reason he freaked out, or just random bird crazy?

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

anotherblownsave posted:

Eep that can be scary. Even though I'd read about it I'd never experienced it since my first cockatiel never broke one that I noticed, so when Judah broke one of his the amount of blood was, uh, startling. Luckily the emergency vet just pulled out the end of it, stopped the bleeding and he was cranky and a bit bloody but okay. I think me trying to get blood off his feathers was the most traumatic thing for him.

Hopefully everything goes fine with Finn and as I write this he's just a grumpy potato who had to go to the vet and is sulking in his cage.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
poor Finn :(

Be sure to get him some extra millet to get his little birdbrain off the indignity he had to suffer at the vets...

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh god, I'm trying to watch tv on the iPad and every time I hit play Drama starts to babble along with it, then the canary goes "YAY TIME TO SING ALONG SEE HOW LOUD I CAN SING EVERYONE! LALALA TWEETY TEWEETY EEEEEE TWEEE TWIT TWIT TWEEET" and the budgie goes "HEY EVERYONE IM SHOUTING TOO! IM SHOUTING YOU ARE SHOUTING WE ARE ALL SHOUTING YAY!" at which point the tiels who are trying to sleep start shrieking at them to shut the gently caress up and then I can no longer hear the program. :(

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

THAT THREAD TITLE

It's well worth reading up on blood feathers and how to restrain bird in case there's a next time-it's nerve wracking but actually pretty easy to deal with yourself if you have the confidence. Just restrain bird, get small pliers, hold the area in place, and pull out firmly as close to the skin as possible. It will hurt bird and probably bruise but it's necessary. Apply styptic powder, or flour if you don't have any. Feed millet or other treat as appropriate.

Tendai posted:

Parrot relationships are so complex

Battle Pigeon fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Battle Pigeon posted:

Confirmed, Senegals have even more excellent crazy-face

Yet unlike other parrots the crazy-face is a cover for being really loving lazy and boring. Well, at least Charlie is like that. It's like if he looks crazy no one will bother him while he just sits there staring off into space.