Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Kavak posted:

Yoko Taro writes the New Gods?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Yunlihn posted:

The final boss shall be a rhythm battle against Yoko Taro himself, while Caim and Angelus make a cameo as a secret boss fight, just to kill you to death.

Secret Boss Caim would unironically own. Let him be the Demifiend of the Drakenier franchise.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Kind of odd to think that only now, in the fifth game of this franchise, does it have a character with enough widespread recognizability to be called a mascot.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

DanielCross posted:

Kind of odd to think that only now, in the fifth game of this franchise, does it have a character with enough widespread recognizability to be called a mascot.

Yolo Taro's been around longer than that.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

This is like the first time in YT’s entire life that he’s found financial success

Bless that butt

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

DanielCross posted:

Just a shame he killed off the most recognizable character halfway through the game. :yokotaro:

But no seriously, what happened in the A2 ending?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Yunlihn posted:

Caim and Angelus make a cameo as a secret boss fight, just to kill you to death.

Please.

Caim kills you far harder than that chump rear end Death. He killed that idiot to prove it.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Kirby's new friend Emil

All I can imagine right now is Kirby pulling out his microphone power to wipe out a group of stubbies while Emil watches followed by Emil activating his car's loudspeaker and nuking the forest kingdom.

alexminor
Feb 22, 2011
Loved the game. Love ids play throughs. But i didn't like the story as much as that in nier. Papa, kaine and emil were just far stronger characters. Emil in nier obviously.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

RareAcumen posted:

Also there's the fact that Kirby swallows his enemies whole to gain their powers. I can't help but feel like that's just glossed over a lot of the time.

It's okay, it's obvious his body is a vessel for the souls of those he consumes. How else do you think he was able to spawn Helpers in Super Star? He creates for them new bodies using the energy of the powers he steals, and slaves their wills to his own. In Ally Star, he's learned how to externalize the latter effect to skip the eating step entirely.

EDIT: Aw snap I just realized, the Yoko Taro version of the Computer Virus boss would be tight as hell.

EDIT2: Come to think of it, Kirby loves doing shooter segments, too. Granted, Kirby prefers side-scrolling shooters, but I think the dark lord can manage.

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Mar 13, 2018

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Schwartzcough posted:

But no seriously, what happened in the A2 ending?

A2 dies, and 9S presumably dies 'cause the Pods messed up. Evidence: If you get ending C after D, you still get the dialogue from the Pods that says that all YoRHa black boxes are confirmed offline. It really is the "everyone dies, the end, no moral" ending.

alexminor posted:

Loved the game. Love ids play throughs. But i didn't like the story as much as that in nier. Papa, kaine and emil were just far stronger characters. Emil in nier obviously.

I dunno, there's some pretty strong showings here. I'd call NieR and Automata pretty consistent with how well they do their protagonists. 2B's deal is subtle but solid, and 9S especially has a truly impressive character arc, strongly written and delivered fantastically by his actor.

A2, however, was pretty undercooked, for how good what little dialogue she gets is. They really needed to have had her show up more in route A/B, establishing a bit more threat and a bit more mystique. Having her finally become playable ought to have felt more like, say, when Zero finally became full-time playable in the Mega Man X series. Except way more morbid.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

alexminor posted:

Absolutely agreed. 2B and A2 just feel lifeless, and not in a good way. 9S is well-acted, but incredibly unlikeable. To steal a turn of phrase from Pratchett, 9S has charisn'tma.

The scene where 9S literally trips on 2B's sword is hilarious though. It's the anime equivalent to the Peter Griffin banging his knee and spending way too long reacting to it, only funny.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Mazed posted:

A2, however, was pretty undercooked, for how good what little dialogue she gets is. They really needed to have had her show up more in route A/B, establishing a bit more threat and a bit more mystique. Having her finally become playable ought to have felt more like, say, when Zero finally became full-time playable in the Mega Man X series. Except way more morbid.

This is made worse by the fact that she readily draws comparisons to Kaine and Zero, two of the best-developed characters in games.

Sterski
Jun 30, 2014
My game had problems connecting to online through the entire game so I was stuck at those credits for HOURS and not getting help requests or player messages until it finally worked, so I guess my experience was somewhat different than intended. I heard that chorus A LOT.

And what's worse, I didn't erase my save because I wanted to get the remaining endings first, but had to sell the game shortly after since I was flat broke. I'm not an rear end in a top hat, honest!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

DanielCross posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhDL3Q86ofY&t=21s

We had one all along.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Speaking of that 'All Yorha blackboxes confirmed offline' line, I choose to believe that the Pods forgot about the drugged out Yorha at the oil fields and the one just enjoying the oasis. The scanner in the library is absolutely dead though, gently caress that guy.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
I'd say that Nier 1 overall has a better cast of characters, while Nier Automata has a better overall story. Nier 1 leans on its core cast to create compelling writing - the main story is actually pretty simple despite the Yoko Taro-ness of everything involved. Automata creates a far more unique and incredibly interesting world, and the way the story goes off the rails in the second half is amazing, but while doing so it forgets to give enough nuance to A2 and, to a lesser degree, 2B (her character is super interesting but only becomes so when you reach the end of the game and find out the 2E origins).

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I feel like the first Nier had higher highs and lower lows than this game. The main cast of the first game got to interact with each other a lot more, and their connection to the world felt more genuine than in this one. On the other hand, I feel like the plot of this game holds up better when all is said and done. The big plot twists of the first Nier (things Iike the shades backstories in each area, Devola's and Popola's actions making literally no sense) just felt like cheap gotcha moments. Automata on the other hand feels a lot more natural with regards to the machines and Yorha being a front. I can't think of any character in this game who's actions plain didn't make sense, while a big part of the first game's plot only worked if Devola, Popola and Noir all did things that made no sense.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Momomo posted:

I feel like the first Nier had higher highs and lower lows than this game. The main cast of the first game got to interact with each other a lot more, and their connection to the world felt more genuine than in this one. On the other hand, I feel like the plot of this game holds up better when all is said and done. The big plot twists of the first Nier (things Iike the shades backstories in each area, Devola's and Popola's actions making literally no sense) just felt like cheap gotcha moments. Automata on the other hand feels a lot more natural with regards to the machines and Yorha being a front. I can't think of any character in this game who's actions plain didn't make sense, while a big part of the first game's plot only worked if Devola, Popola and Noir all did things that made no sense.

I gotta agree. I liked the dysfunctional crew of the original more, but the fact that every single act ended up breaking the world even worse got tiresome after a while. Here, it seems like things are going wrong, but for reasons outside of the cast. It's more of a shock to learn that you're being actively mislead by forces greater than you than it is to learn that you killed yet another adorable child that just happened to look like a mass of shadows.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
While Nier 1 had more 'highs' overall I felt like the 9S stuff in Route C hit harder than anything in Nier 1. Which is saying something, because a lot of stuff in Nier 1 hit really drat hard.

skylarkfreedom
May 23, 2009
Since Drakengard’s theme was “terrible people save the world”, Nier’s was “good people doom the world” and this game’s theme seemed to lean more toward “good and bad are subjective and so is saving the world”, it’s not too surprising that the Nier crew would be more likable.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Nier's story definitely frustrated me more
Especially the whole Noir/Popola/Devola angle

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I’m the type who always prefers strong characters and a downplayed story to weaker characters but a more cohesive narrative. Like it’s not even a knock on Automata. It’s an amazing game but Taro couldn’t quite make the lightning strike twice when it comes to creating the main cast. I just cared about the Nier 1 guys and rooted for them much more so than anybody in Automata.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Imagine if Nier died mid game and the rest of the game was Emil and Kaine trying to kill eachother over a disagreement how to handle the shades

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I think the weakness of characterisation has a lot to do with 2A's lack of time. I think we should have shifted to an earlier point in her timeline after 2B's death, or at least seen the aftermath of A2's existence more as 2B/9s and got to experience more time with lonely murderhobo A2 so that the introduction of the pod/2B's influence had more contrast and build-up.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

2B and A2 seemed to already know each other, or know what they were both famous for, before we get to see them interact for real.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I believe the supplementary material covers why that is. Not sure if Id will post about it or if I should mention it.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I would've liked 2B to get a bit more alone time most of all. Flesh out her thoughts and views a bit more when they're not being expressed through her relationship with 9S

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
The LP is over. There's nothing else I'm posting. Couldn't get permission from the dude that translated that stuff and frankly, I think most of the supplementary material is kinda whatever this go around so meh.

Hey the guy who came up with all the real lovely parts of YoRHa was the original Scanner unit 9S was based off of! He was a huge dick. He also immediately died as soon he kicked off things because he was a moron.
9S got killed so many times that he hacked himself so he could use a sword as Scanners don't usually get a weapon because ????.
9S and 2B got killed by A2 a few times!

None of it is very interesting and is mostly kinda just redundant.

vvv That one is alright.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 14, 2018

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

The one novella I really love is the one that tells the story of the android stationed on the actual moonbase because I feel it adds to the worldbuilding a lot. The rest are kinda inconsequential

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Is the android in the moonbase one of the cool stoner ones.

What's the new stage play hinting at about the dark side of the earth where all the boy androids are

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
There's a lot of good supplementary material. Don't listen to some random jackass and check it out for yourself.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

DarkID is The Yoko Taro ambassador , if it wasn't for him I'd have open my copy of Drakengard 2. Maybe one day I'll check out the short stories but like I don't want to waste my time either

V > Oh thanks this looks nice

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
https://theark.wiki/w/Welcome

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
He can arbit these nuts.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Anyway, I'm closing this thread tomorrow before we get more quality posters like this loving dipshit above. Say your piece and move on.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
woah 9S

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
My piece is that NieR:Automata is a good game.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
Just getting in before the end to say like so many others that I picked up this game because of this LP. Ending E finally made me give in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Dark Id posted:

Anyway, I'm closing this thread tomorrow before we get more quality posters like this loving dipshit above. Say your piece and move on.

If the horrible secret gets revealed, can you reopen the thread just to post it?

• Locked thread