Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Helianthus Annuus posted:

it shouldn't be an inverted G major chord because there is no major 3rd (B).

probably call it a D add11

ah poo poo you're right. i think maybe the first time i found that, i tried to use it as a G by leaving out the F# and leaving the B string open, or something.

Dr. Faustus posted:

I use that trick, too. It's cool because the drone-y G string ties the chords together. I tend to think of it as a Dsus4 but I shouldn't because the major 3rd is there, too.

yeah, it's super cool. it's so funny because i learned all my barre chords first and had to be kind of nutty about muting things, and then as time's went on i realize that it's actually just really cool when you let stuff drone open. the top two strings open in Emaj and stuff like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

landgrabber posted:

and that includes all the classic rock guys the dads in here like

I can't believe you're going to knock Pink Floyd while you maintain that Weezer did not, as a matter of fact, all die in a stage collapse back in 2001. You even claim that they've continued making songs!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Maynard raped underage girls. Actual crimes. Nobody gives a poo poo. But Johnny Marr can’t catch a break by association?

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

9s on an acoustic, it's something

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Maynard raped underage girls. Actual crimes. Nobody gives a poo poo. But Johnny Marr can’t catch a break by association?

I think most people feel sorry for Marr really. I've never heard anyone hating on him, and when they hate on the Smiths they're really meaning Morrissey. I just want Johnny to feel better and do better by himself really.

Hashtag freethemarr

Also I have decided I like PRS guitars. But there's only like two models I'd ever want to actually own. I wish the Hollowbody had an option to have flame maple on the back and keep the top plain tho. I like plain tops, there I said it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I can think of one guy who definitely hates Marr.

It's Morrissey

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

landgrabber posted:

ah poo poo you're right. i think maybe the first time i found that, i tried to use it as a G by leaving out the F# and leaving the B string open, or something.

since the Bb (m3) is also omitted, this chord could be playable when a Gmaj7 is called for, and as you point out, it's easy to get that B (M3) if we want it. i never thought about this chord as some kind of G before, but it's fun to think about that way, so hell, why not!

here's a related G7/D X-5-3-0-0-X

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

i clicked the link before reading your post, then put it in the background while i mixed it up in blitz chess. it's hitting for me, video game boss battle theme vibes. after a while i started wondering why it was still the same song, and only then did i realize it was supposed to be a pickup demo video. i couldn't tell the difference between any of the pickups :roflolmao:

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Back to Black Sabbath chat. A thing happened today!

The stainless frets with ball ends are nice, no pokies anywhere. Lots to love for $200, amazing what they do for so cheap. Shipped with very low action and no bad frets that I can tell. Some of the frets are a little rough, like they were leveled with coarse sandpaper and then went straight to final polish. The nut is cut well enough but it looks rough. Dressing everything up that final 10% is probably what costs the difference between this and a $450 Epiphone or similar.

This is my first from Guitars Garden and it probably won't be the last.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
Gee that looks suspiciously similar to my NG from yesterday

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
between the two, i like the yellow color better (i may be biased here) but the cross inlays are neat. would be cooler upside down :twisted:

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Helianthus Annuus posted:

since the Bb (m3) is also omitted, this chord could be playable when a Gmaj7 is called for, and as you point out, it's easy to get that B (M3) if we want it. i never thought about this chord as some kind of G before, but it's fun to think about that way, so hell, why not!

here's a related G7/D X-5-3-0-0-X

yeah now that i think about it, i was probably playing a Cmaj7 like X-3-2-0-0-0, then moving the M3 interval up a fret and back-- probably trying to sound like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz6XZIk9tuw

mewse
May 2, 2006

duodenum posted:

Back to Black Sabbath chat. A thing happened today!

The stainless frets with ball ends are nice, no pokies anywhere. Lots to love for $200, amazing what they do for so cheap. Shipped with very low action and no bad frets that I can tell. Some of the frets are a little rough, like they were leveled with coarse sandpaper and then went straight to final polish. The nut is cut well enough but it looks rough. Dressing everything up that final 10% is probably what costs the difference between this and a $450 Epiphone or similar.

This is my first from Guitars Garden and it probably won't be the last.

Your pictures make the guitar look better than their website lol

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Sauce?

For content: I replaced the strings on all my three guitars this weekend. Feels good man. Coated all round.

Gotta say I’m not a fan of Daddario packing all the strings together. Feels like I’m missing something when I’m trying to grab that specific string I’m changing and it’s slowly getting tangled.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Someone on Twitter accused him out of the blue a few years back of raping her when she was 17. They used a burner account and never followed up on it.

I don't know of any other allegations against him.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Crosspost then SLEEP

Yay new guitar day:

There is a nasty problem with positions 2 and 4 on the pickup selector. instead of the cool quacky, Stratty thing I am used to with these pickups, it is very nasal and thin. Like it is out-of-phase. Except it doesn't get better when I reverse the hot and ground on the middle single coil. I just don't know what this switch is doing. I think I am going to drop my spare VLX53 switch in there after I get a lot of sleep. I am loving TIRED, on weekdays I wake up at 05:30 for work.

Before pics:

Good night!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
If'n I get around to building a guitar I'm going to do an H/H superstrat with the middle position wired up to coil split between the center-most coils of each humbucker for that real sick chime-y tone.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

There were several others who posted their accounts as well but none of them swore an affidavit either so I guess they are liars. Guitar thread loves women.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Kazinsal posted:

Someone on Twitter accused him out of the blue a few years back of raping her when she was 17. They used a burner account and never followed up on it.

I don't know of any other allegations against him.

He's in in Tool, allegedly.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Kazinsal posted:

If'n I get around to building a guitar I'm going to do an H/H superstrat with the middle position wired up to coil split between the center-most coils of each humbucker for that real sick chime-y tone.
My Charvel San Dimas did that, so you can get it off the shelf if you want - with the push-pull knob and the 3 way switch, you got:
Neck HB
Inner coils of both
Bridge HB

and
Neck split
Outer coils of both
Bridge split

I wish I had gotten along with that guitar better, but I think strats just aren't for me.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Tad Naff posted:

I almost bought a Racer, I love the inlays. Great stuff.

mewse posted:

Your pictures make the guitar look better than their website lol

I agree, They definitely need to spend a moment doing better pictures.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

There were several others who posted their accounts as well but none of them swore an affidavit either so I guess they are liars. Guitar thread loves women.

it's really funny that i'm so into like 2000s emo/pop punk and poo poo and am still coming out ahead in the whole "not being sexist" thing

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Dr. Faustus posted:

Crosspost then SLEEP

Yay new guitar day:

There is a nasty problem with positions 2 and 4 on the pickup selector. instead of the cool quacky, Stratty thing I am used to with these pickups, it is very nasal and thin. Like it is out-of-phase. Except it doesn't get better when I reverse the hot and ground on the middle single coil. I just don't know what this switch is doing. I think I am going to drop my spare VLX53 switch in there after I get a lot of sleep. I am loving TIRED, on weekdays I wake up at 05:30 for work.

Before pics:

Good night!

You should probably put a condom on that thing, because it fucks.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I really love all the maple necks I've been seeing in this thread lately. The world is in balance

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

syntaxfunction posted:

I think most people feel sorry for Marr really. I've never heard anyone hating on him, and when they hate on the Smiths they're really meaning Morrissey. I just want Johnny to feel better and do better by himself really.

Hashtag freethemarr

Also I have decided I like PRS guitars. But there's only like two models I'd ever want to actually own. I wish the Hollowbody had an option to have flame maple on the back and keep the top plain tho. I like plain tops, there I said it.

Marr managed to put together a decent live version of How Soon is Now which the Smiths used to hate trying to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY8eKQFyRJk

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I really love all the maple necks I've been seeing in this thread lately. The world is in balance

i feel like there's a neck dive joke in here, but if i tried to make it, i might come across a bit too heavy handed

is that anything

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

this is hitting today - game of pricks by guided by voices: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjZ6HL-8WK0

i've known the song for a while but it's only hitting today. i like it because it reminds me of how simple the pop-era beatles were but the lyrics are all flowery. "i'll climb up on the house, weep to water the trees, and when you come calling me down, i'll put on my disease" is a little melodramatic but over such major key music it really works. i prefer it to "i want to hold your ha-aaa-aa-a-a-a-and".

it is making me want to dive into a bunch of those early beatles songs, figure out how they work, and write the most flowery lyrics i can over them. find the cool melodic stuff and chord tricks and dispense with the part where seemingly none of them had ever enjoyed a novel

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

landgrabber posted:

this is hitting today - game of pricks by guided by voices: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjZ6HL-8WK0

i've known the song for a while but it's only hitting today. i like it because it reminds me of how simple the pop-era beatles were but the lyrics are all flowery. "i'll climb up on the house, weep to water the trees, and when you come calling me down, i'll put on my disease" is a little melodramatic but over such major key music it really works. i prefer it to "i want to hold your ha-aaa-aa-a-a-a-and".

it is making me want to dive into a bunch of those early beatles songs, figure out how they work, and write the most flowery lyrics i can over them. find the cool melodic stuff and chord tricks and dispense with the part where seemingly none of them had ever enjoyed a novel

i was in a beatles wiki hole a few months ago, despite not actually liking the beatles that much, and lots of the per-song wiki articles go pretty in depth on the theory stuff. i remember the explanation of whatever the hell is going on in taxman being particularly cool

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Tad Naff posted:

I remain jealous of yank access to Firefly guitars, both look great, and I'd really have liked to take a look at that offset SG Bass VI.

Speaking of, I'm thinking of parting with my Squier Bass VI, I think it's close but not quite what I want, but maybe I should put thinner strings on it and try it baritone? Or at least thinner strings that take E-e tuning? Anyone tried either of those?

Long-term I think I might look to build or heavily overhaul a Bass VI/Baritone, with some combo of filtertrons and dynasonics. I've seen conversions from 4 string basses and obviously can rework a Harley Benton or Gear4Music Bass VI. There's also conversion necks for 25.5" guitars but that seems to put things firmly in the strat style, and I don't think they go as close to 30" as I'm looking for. I'll probably at least try out the Gretsch Baritone, they are actually very nearly 30" and are pretty nice in themselves, including having my preferred type of headstock. Not such a massive overhaul but I think the PUP mounts will take a tron or D-type without modification.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

sg time?

:devil:

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

hell yeah some day I'll learn music (opens reverb)

this is my bass player and its about to get him kicked the gently caress out

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

creamcorn posted:

i was in a beatles wiki hole a few months ago, despite not actually liking the beatles that much, and lots of the per-song wiki articles go pretty in depth on the theory stuff. i remember the explanation of whatever the hell is going on in taxman being particularly cool
This is an amazing resource, even if I think he's reaching a bit for some of the analyses. https://www.icce.rug.nl/~soundscapes/DATABASES/AWP/awp-notes_on.shtml

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
I think that yellow sg is a westcreek I have a shell pink doublecut from them it's pretty good (tuners suck on mine)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

there is no bigger kindness you can do on a "pretty good" guitar to elevate it than putting on some nice meaty locking tuners

it's so frustrating how cheap some of the middling guitars can be when a set of Kaish is like $25 on aliexpress/$40 from a US seller
I get instruments at that price point have razor thin margins but the little details still matter

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

massive spider posted:

Marr managed to put together a decent live version of How Soon is Now which the Smiths used to hate trying to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY8eKQFyRJk

Too me far too long to realise he's "the son and heir" not "the sun and air"

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i saw slowdive last night and they were fantastic. they sounded exactly like you would want them to sound live.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
yeah I'm putting lockers on the little el degas I'm putting together for my kid I'm going to make it as perfect as I can

I'm not going to make him play it either if he isn't interested that's ok he'll have it in his room anyway (actually I'll play it )

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

BizarroAzrael posted:

Too me far too long to realise he's "the son and heir" not "the sun and air"

Intentional pun tho.

landgrabber posted:

i saw slowdive last night and they were fantastic. they sounded exactly like you would want them to sound live.

Hell yeah

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My wife finally sent me the list of her late father's guitar collection. No photos, unfortunately, but maybe next time we get to her mom's house. Some highlights:

* Epiphone Jack Casaday Bass, gifted to him by Jack Casaday after Jack sent him his guitar he played at Woodstock to install new pickups. "He's a nice guy." Wife wants to bring this one home after we buy a house.

* Erik Johnson strat his notes say is "the best strat in the world" but also "harder to play than a Les Paul" (he loved his LPs)

* 1971 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe gold top he bought brand new in 1972 and his "star piece". We have this one, I posted it before. He put the Grover tuners and mini humbuckers in

* The Rickenbacker was have was an anonymous gift from a customer (he thinks he knew who it was since it arrived shortly after he did a custom job for someone)

* Martin Backpacker he bought to take on vacations "Balance is wrong and I don't like it"

* Olson acoustic made for him by Jim Olson (they were friends) that he would bring to shows to show off his equipment. "Played by many famous people" and "Should be my most valuable guitar." (A quick check of Reverb suggests that to be the case.) Sister in law took this one.

* 3/4 scale National Resonator Guitar he was given when a store was blowing them out. "Sound is prized now!" but "Doesn't tune well." Wife wants to bring this home because he used to let her play it because it was cheap

We're going to see George Clinton tonight. Never seen him, so I'm pretty excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Backpackers suck rear end, your FIL had a good head on his shoulders.