Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

anyone know if the gaza esims email thing is still active and in need of esims? I was just looking at buying some hamas, PFLP and AA merch on that shop that someone posted here, but then I tempered my consumer urges and figured I'd just donate that money to gazans instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Tirade posted:

The freak who wrote Imperial Hubris was much the same until he fried his brain in the 2010s. The book argued that the US was loving up the fight against Al Queda because the leadership and much of the bureaucracy actually believed the poo poo about "they hate us for our freedom" that they peddled to get public support.

He got a shout out on one of the Bin Laden tapes as one of the few western analysts who actually knew what they were talking about which was darkly funny since his solution was to glass much of the Middle East

In the big picture this seems to point to Israel being a white elephant for the US for basically its entire existence

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

PawParole posted:

Mearshiemer is pissed at the war in Ukraine and Gaza because he wants America to focus on China, which to him is the only threat to American hegemony, like you have actual smart evil guys tearing their hair out over behavior of the leaders of the empire they’re trying to preserve.

that's why he is bald. literally malding over neoliberalism

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

exmarx posted:

lol at all the questions being psychotic cope until a teacher on a school tour asks one

wow she asked a banger of a question too, completely stumped the guy, had a bit of a dry chuckle of his réponse “well i don’t know where this train is headed” when he has been explicitly clear on the ethnic cleansing and genocide so far, like a historical freudian slip?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Looks like slovenia is experiencing some *snif* Ideologie *snif*

===

‎Slovenian PM: We will recognize the Palestinian state next month‎
‎CNN on Slovenian Prime Minister Robert Golub:‎

‎The situation in Gaza is catastrophic and there is a violation of all human rights laws.‎
‎We will recognize a Palestinian state next month and Europe's divided positions do not help bring peace.‎

https://www.aljazeera.net/news/live...?update=6550891

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Hamas destroyed a Merkava

====

‎Al-Qassam Brigades: We destroyed a Merkava tank east of Jabalia camp‎

‎The Izz al-Din al-Qassam Brigades, the military wing of the Islamic Resistance Movement (Hamas), announced that it had destroyed an Israeli Merkava 4 tank with a Al-Yassin 105 shell east of the Jabalia refugee camp in the northern Gaza Strip.‎

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

exmarx posted:

lol at all the questions being psychotic cope until a teacher on a school tour asks one

about when does she ask the question? i can't sit through a bunch of dumbshit australian "journalist" questions

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

crepeface posted:

about when does she ask the question? i can't sit through a bunch of dumbshit australian "journalist" questions

starts at about 1:24:30

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
thank

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
Mearsheimer talks are interesting mostly because he is able to lower (slightly) the ideological blinders that other American commentators wear when discussing Israel. It's pretty telling that most of the questions the head CIS guy asks make reference to people like Tom Friedman, Steve Cohen, and Fareed Zakaria, as though they would have any special insight into Israel. For many people, just hearing somebody somewhat accurately describe the power politics of the region, free of moral judgment, is a revelation.

but, at the end of the day, Mearsheimer is still an American chauvinist. his whole beef with Israel's genocide is that it threatens the stability of the empire. At one point he says that Biden is working in good faith to rein in Israel, which is just... not true. He still takes American politicians at their word, which is insane.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
in a different speech he gave in Australia he attributed our prosperity to the security granted by the relationship with the great satan rather than our ability to sell our shiny rocks to a rising china

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again

Weka posted:

that's why he is bald. literally malding over neoliberalism

John spent his life arguing that we were rational actors in the world and justifying our brinksmanship along the lines of acquiring and preserving power cause other nations who would accede to that power would be worse.

Every day the US Empire takes a fat poo poo on realism and John has to dissect it on youtube.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 26 days!)

PawParole posted:

Mearshiemer is pissed at the war in Ukraine and Gaza because he wants America to focus on China, which to him is the only threat to American hegemony, like you have actual smart evil guys tearing their hair out over behavior of the leaders of the empire they’re trying to preserve.

we’ve been trying to do the China pivot since early Obama, but all the chickens from invading Iraq & Afghanistan started coming home to roost, and having to deal with the consequences of our actions made it impossible to get away from the Middle East.

I think to the realists’ like Mearsheimer’s credit a lot of them were against the Iraq war for the same reasons to begin with.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 26 days!)

https://twitter.com/me_observer_/status/1791216213785268522?s=46&t=UyfxoSAUKW7QZlR_GhkuYA

the footage of hezbollah’s carrier drone is crazy. it looks like they made it themselves. one large carrier drone with two submunitions. the fact a stateless group like Hezbollah can put this together is pretty cool.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

exmarx posted:

i love her question and his response. he doesn't answer. her question is, "What would have to change in order to bring about a one state solution?"

he doesn't answer. he can't answer. he just says he doesn't think it will happen under present circumstances. that's true, but that wasn't the question: the question is what circumstances would have to change.

the answer should be obvious: the end of the american empire, which, in Mearsheimer's view, means victory for China. he can't say that the only moral solution means that America has to lose the very game he's trying to help them play.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
If the IDF was really ready to invade southern Lebanon....you think they would easily be dominating the border rather than be on the defensive it seems. It also seems like they would have have an easier time making moves in Gaza if Hamas was "mostly" dismantled rather than being ambushed constantly again.

And yeah, Mearsheimer can only go so far, he can only be "so" realist. For example, he made a point that the US wants to slow down a conflict between Israel and Iran (i.e the US is still in control) but he glosses over that a fair number of missiles got through the AD brought by the US and its proxies. Likewise, somehow, the US "concentrating" on China would be that meaningful.

Obviously he can only go so far, but the reality of the situation is even more alarming.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 13:41 on May 18, 2024

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

crepeface posted:

in a different speech he gave in Australia he attributed our prosperity to the security granted by the relationship with the great satan rather than our ability to sell our shiny rocks to a rising china

I mean he's right. Without the dominance of global White supremacy we're a banana republic without a republic.

I will give credit to Mearsheimer that he does actually (accidentally) answer the teacher by saying, 'the destruction of Israel by its oppressed, captive indigenous population,' by implication of referencing South Africa's previous nuclear arsenal.

WhiskeyWhiskers has issued a correction as of 14:03 on May 18, 2024

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I mean he's right. Without the dominance of global White supremacy we're a banana republic without a republic.

I will give credit to Mearsheimer that he does actually (accidentally) answer the teacher by saying, 'the destruction of Israel by its oppressed, captive indigenous population,' by implication of referencing South Africa's previous nuclear arsenal.

without global white supremacy (and we had a gough whitlam-esque government), we'd have a chance at being a half decent country.

without china and our rocks we'd be greece or something. i guess we might still be able to leach off the rest of SEA immigrant labour

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

i love her question and his response. he doesn't answer. her question is, "What would have to change in order to bring about a one state solution?"

he doesn't answer. he can't answer. he just says he doesn't think it will happen under present circumstances. that's true, but that wasn't the question: the question is what circumstances would have to change.

the answer should be obvious: the end of the american empire, which, in Mearsheimer's view, means victory for China. he can't say that the only moral solution means that America has to lose the very game he's trying to help them play.

it’s probably the first time much of the crowd have even heard the viewpoint that israel physically can’t fight this war without the bombs and material directly sent by the USA, they’re probably fully bought into the idea that a country with the population of serbia can somehow power a military comparable to the eastern front in WW2

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

we’ve been trying to do the China pivot since early Obama, but all the chickens from invading Iraq & Afghanistan started coming home to roost, and having to deal with the consequences of our actions made it impossible to get away from the Middle East.

I think to the realists’ like Mearsheimer’s credit a lot of them were against the Iraq war for the same reasons to begin with.

I always think it's funny because even the "realists" seem to lack basic material economic analysis. You're going to do a cold war against the country that makes all of the poo poo your citizens buy. How does that work exactly? The Soviet Union was easier to isolate but there's a ton of American financial capital tied up with China. Sure you can convince yourself that China needs you as much as you need them but the whole idea is just as bonkers as the war on terror or supporting Israel through speedrunning a genocide.

Jel Shaker posted:

it’s probably the first time much of the crowd have even heard the viewpoint that israel physically can’t fight this war without the bombs and material directly sent by the USA, they’re probably fully bought into the idea that a country with the population of serbia can somehow power a military comparable to the eastern front in WW2

there's a book about israel called "start up nation" and I think there's a good chunk of the population that thinks its silicon valley: the country. they can just invent whatever tech they need to get out of the current jam they're in like a genocidal inspector gadget.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 14:28 on May 18, 2024

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
startups take free money and piss it away as fast as possible while producing nothing

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Dreylad posted:

genocidal inspector gadget.

this really made me laugh

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

Looks like slovenia is experiencing some *snif* Ideologie *snif*

===

‎Slovenian PM: We will recognize the Palestinian state next month‎
‎CNN on Slovenian Prime Minister Robert Golub:‎

‎The situation in Gaza is catastrophic and there is a violation of all human rights laws.‎
‎We will recognize a Palestinian state next month and Europe's divided positions do not help bring peace.‎

we should have recognized it years ago, but still better late than never. the current government are idiotic neolib retards but at least they still saw this as politically advantageous to them

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

Jel Shaker posted:

i always skip to the questions with him because his main thesis is pretty similar, but the first question is always some absolute car crash of unhinged whining with personal insults on his character

The Israel Lobby has between 30-50 page about how the authors aren't antisemitic and of course support the right of the State of Israel to exist in principle, and you can still guess what the sole criticism of the book has been for 20 years.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CN CREW-VESSEL posted:

The Israel Lobby has between 30-50 page about how the authors aren't antisemitic and of course support the right of the State of Israel to exist in principle, and you can still guess what the sole criticism of the book has been for 20 years.

well, I would sort of hope that the authors merely saying that wouldn’t have as much impact as the contents of the rest of the book (not that I have read this book, just in general)

that sounds like it could be the literary equivalent of “now I’m not racist, but…”

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀
It's because they were going to be accused of writing The Protocols of the Elders of Zion by describing how Israel influences Israeli politics and manipulates the diaspora in the US for the own ends, and tried to get ahead of it in the book, but the criticism isn't made in good faith in the first place, which Mearsheimer is no better able to accept and deal with than Corbyn was.

Alan Dershowitz led the charge going after Mearsheimer, which is probably not a coincidence as he's the one that brought down Norm.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yeah I don’t know how you even could get ahead of that in a book, given that it’s a tactic and not an analysis, but if there is a way it’s probably not pleading the case for a few dozen pages in the introduction

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

it is kind of funny mearsheimer wants the us to pivot to china the us cant even beat hillbilly pirates much less china

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

by pivot to China does he mean like start a serious bilateral cooperation with China for mutual prosperity

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Khaled Mishal the political spokesperson of Hamas gave a speech at a conference in Istanbul

====

‎Meshaal: The resistance is fine and the steadfastness of Gaza changed the world‎

‎The head of the Islamic Resistance Movement (‎‎Hamas‎‎) abroad ‎‎Khaled Meshaal‎‎ said on Saturday that the resistance in the ‎‎Gaza Strip‎‎ is fine, and has the ability to continue the battle against the occupation army, stressing that the steadfastness of Gaza "changed the region, the region and the world."‎

‎Meshaal added – during an online speech at the "Flood of Free" conference, which began today in Istanbul – that "our enemy is chasing us everywhere, it is an open battle with him. The message comes from Gaza, the pride that the resistance is fine and has repositioned everywhere."‎

‎He stressed that "the popular incubator, despite its pain, is steadfast and rallied around the resistance, patient and all counted with the resistance sacrifice their dearest possessions."‎

‎He pointed out that "the world is changing, and Gaza has changed the region, the region and the world, and revealed the authenticity of humanity and spirit in our nation."‎

‎He continued, "We are today in front of a scene that gives us confidence in victory, this change in the regional and international arena says we are the victors and the consequence is ours, and we see the enemy retreat while defeated, and the dispute moves to his internal side due to frustration, because he used to win quick battles in days and weeks, but to fight 8 months in Gaza and be unable to do so, this sends a spirit of determination to us."‎

‎Three-way plan‎

‎The head of Hamas abroad also spoke of future requirements that must be met "to defeat Israel and dismantle the Zionist project," summed them up in three steps.‎

‎"The first step is to continue what you started from the first moment through the events, continue your jihad with money to support the people in Gaza, feed them, shelter them, support the mujahideen and sponsor their families, and we want the return of millions and the institutionalization of the street in the Islamic world," he said.‎

‎"We want the masses of the nation to remain in the streets, and declare their anger at the Zionists and their guardians in front of the embassies, and we want continuous anger to stop this aggression, and the flood of the media continues its message, word and positions, and we want the Palestinian narrative to reach its extent in all forums," he said.‎

‎"We want the deluge of the law to prosecute murderous criminals. We stand with South Africa as well as Turkey, Libya and Egypt, and we want other countries to engage in the battle to pursue Zionists everywhere, and for the flood of students to continue."‎

‎"We want to engage in the battle of jihad, and we want the nation to be fully involved in the battle," Mashaal said. This is our responsibility as long as we have an opportunity for liberation, and the enemy is reeling, we are required to move a major leap with the flood of jihad and the nation."‎

‎Regarding the third step, Meshaal said, "The flood of political pressure and sit-ins that say one word is required, which is the time for the aggression to stop."‎

‎He explained that "there are political positions from Arab and Islamic countries, and from other countries, but what is required today is a broad political front that confronts the Zionists and the US administration, which is still lining up with him despite its disagreement with him and supporting him with tools of destruction and does not abandon his protection despite his crimes."‎

‎He stressed that "Arab and Islamic countries can lead the front and are able to do so."‎

‎It is worth mentioning that the opening session of the "Flood of Freemen" conference in Istanbul witnessed the presentation of video footage and speeches by a number of Hamas leaders and a prominent speech by journalist Tariq Mustafa, who lost nearly 30 of his family in Gaza.‎

‎The conference, which will continue until Sunday with the participation of representatives from 60 countries, comes at a time when the Israeli aggression on the Gaza Strip continues for the eighth month in a row, leaving more than 35,000 martyrs and 79,000 wounded, most of them women and children, famine and an unprecedented humanitarian and health crisis, as confirmed by international and UN reports.‎

https://www.aljazeera.net/news/2024...%BA%D9%8A%D8%B1

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

HallelujahLee posted:

it is kind of funny mearsheimer wants the us to pivot to china the us cant even beat hillbilly pirates much less china

i want to ask him how we can stop the world's largest steel producer (by an insane margin) from building a blue water navy that can go anywhere it wants

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

i want to ask him how we can stop the world's largest steel producer by an insane margin from building a blue water navy that can go anywhere it wants

its even funnier now that the us raised tariffs even more on chinese steel more self-owning and giving china even more control over steel

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://x.com/BarakRavid/status/1791433084165922935?t=rAF6Kh5kAGwGmshhA3LZEA&s=19

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
lord jesus father allah am i just dog puke sick of these assholes loving screeching “aurughhhhggg that’s anti semitism your uhhhh anti-semitic” at ANY criticism of israel i mean holy poo poo have you ever seen a bigger bunch of pissbabies

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

hey mom its 420 posted:

anyone know if the gaza esims email thing is still active and in need of esims? I was just looking at buying some hamas, PFLP and AA merch on that shop that someone posted here, but then I tempered my consumer urges and figured I'd just donate that money to gazans instead

anyone mind reposting this shop? I can't seem to find it (my consumer urges remain untempered)

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Eminent DNS posted:

anyone mind reposting this shop? I can't seem to find it (my consumer urges remain untempered)

https://3sjshop.com

really loving cool merch but kind of expensive, and I'd have to pay import tariffs to ship it over to EU.

so I guess I'll just make my own ansarallah flag with some sharpies

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

by pivot to China does he mean like start a serious bilateral cooperation with China for mutual prosperity

yes

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

hey mom its 420 posted:

https://3sjshop.com

really loving cool merch but kind of expensive, and I'd have to pay import tariffs to ship it over to EU.

also, for better or worse, none of the proceeds go to the groups whose logos and such are present

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Hamas has brought out the moble SAM launchers against israeli apaches in Jabaliya, sadly in this instance it didnt hit but it's a start

======