Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

I picked up a 4-5" foxface for my 90 gallon reef tank this weekend. It's been doing a lot of glass surfing and I'm pretty sure it now has ich.

I'm afraid that pulling it to treat it with copper would only stress it further, and it would just get ich again once it went back in.

I'm pretty sure the best course of action is to keep trying to feed, keep the pumps low, and my fingers crossed, but if anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them.

I'll be really sad if I lose it, it's a beautiful fish. I'm really tempted to call the guy I bought it from and see if he'll take it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
Buy a new heater, it’s speeds the lifecycle up or something, I forget. Only time I ever had a problem with it is when my old heater was dying.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I doubt it works at all for marine, but freshwater ich stops reproducing at 85* and dies at 86*F. I just don't know if marine fish can handle that temperature. Pretty sure a reef will die.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Cowslips Warren posted:

I doubt it works at all for marine, but freshwater ich stops reproducing at 85* and dies at 86*F. I just don't know if marine fish can handle that temperature. Pretty sure a reef will die.

you’ll definitely stress a bunch of your corals that way

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land
Can anyone ID what species this is? I don't think it's a Neo but I am not sure. Store had em as 'Dark Blue Shrimp', and their parameters are identical to our home tank, so we picked up four.

So far they're doing great.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

N17R4M posted:

Can anyone ID what species this is? I don't think it's a Neo but I am not sure. Store had em as 'Dark Blue Shrimp', and their parameters are identical to our home tank, so we picked up four.

So far they're doing great.

Low grade Blue Rili. I would not cull it but if i ever get pics of my Neo's you're all going to be "you can do so much better."

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I hosed this sorry hope it works lol drunk posting in PI ftw

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Desert Bus posted:

I hosed this sorry hope it works lol drunk posting in PI ftw

TRIPLE POSTING that's not a lovely Blue Rili it's a lovely Carbon Blue Rili

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Desert Bus posted:

TRIPLE POSTING that's not a lovely Blue Rili it's a lovely Carbon Blue Rili

I don't know why you gotta call it lovely. It's a nice looking shrimp. I doubt he dropped big money on it or is hoping to line breed it.

But yeah, the vast majority of colorful shrimp you're going to find in a pet store, especially if it's just being sold rather generically as "[color] shrimp" is going to be a Neocaridina.

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

ChickenMedium posted:

I don't know why you gotta call it lovely. It's a nice looking shrimp. I doubt he dropped big money on it or is hoping to line breed it.

But yeah, the vast majority of colorful shrimp you're going to find in a pet store, especially if it's just being sold rather generically as "[color] shrimp" is going to be a Neocaridina.

I am personally fond of wild types to be honest, rather then pure colours most people seem to (understandably) want from ornamental shrimp. Have a few babies now that should grow up a very light green with a sort of tiger stripe. :3 Wonder what the addition of these blues will result in.

The reason I was unsure was that the eyes seem smaller and bodies a bit squatter then the other Neocaradinas we have. Caradinas are also somewhat popular locally, and in many cases priced around the same 2-4 Euro$.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I need a magnifying glass for all these shrimps

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

ChickenMedium posted:

Sorry for being an rear end it was not intentional I was just accurately grading it. I don't do grades other than wild/lovely/good for Neo's. I'm not that hardcore.

ickna
May 19, 2004

Love my mutt neocaridinas. Most turn out clear/brown, and the occasional one shows vibrant red or intense blue.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Ugh it's been so hot here my Bettas tank went up to 87°F I just put in a small frozen bottle of water to cool it down. Are there any better cheep ways to cool down a 5g aquarium?

Anyway the Betta Lugosi is having a fun time investigating it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Ugh it's been so hot here my Bettas tank went up to 87°F I just put in a small frozen bottle of water to cool it down. Are there any better cheep ways to cool down a 5g aquarium?

Anyway the Betta Lugosi is having a fun time investigating it.

you got A/C? you got a room with A/C?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Point a fan across the surface to get some evap cooling going. Won't get you down from 87 on its own but will help. Other than that ice bottles, and water changes with colder water are all you can do unless you wanna drop some $$$ on a chiller.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
There is an ac in the room but it's a row home and the stairs to the basement is open so most of the cold air just goes down there
So far the frozen 8oz water bottle worked and fishie seems happy. I just have to remove it soon because now I think he can see his reflection because he is flaring at it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'm surprised that doesn't change the temp too fast even for a Betta.

My amanos have survived the BC heat wave despite tank temps getting up to 86F at some points despite AC on max power in the room. Normally fluctuates 72-80F. They don't really seem bothered at all, normal behavior.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I was worried about that too it the fact that when he sees me come near he keeps swimmimg to the front and the top expecting food so he is acting more normal now than when his tank was hot. He seemed a bit lethargic before.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I was worried about that too it the fact that when he sees me come near he keeps swimmimg to the front and the top expecting food so he is acting more normal now than when his tank was hot. He seemed a bit lethargic before.

Nice. When I had a Betta and no heater I noticed some lethargy/clamping until I added the heater, but that was in the winter.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

ickna posted:

Love my mutt neocaridinas. Most turn out clear/brown, and the occasional one shows vibrant red or intense blue.

I'm just letting my 3 year old pick the shrimp. The next batch will be "yellow lobsters", aka neon yellow neocaridinas. Maybe some bloody mary's after that.

A shame nobody seems to sell red crystal shrimp online larger than half an inch. Our LFS doesn't have much variety at all and what they do have is all neocaridinas (and not the most brilliant colors). I got some Red Crystal Shrimp online that look great, but they were like 1/4 inch long which was just small enough to fit in fish mouths. The first week I saw two of them buy it by swimming up to the top of the tank near the front, which seems to be the one way to get the redbelly dace to go after them. So while half of them are still around and sticking to cover along with the one little red cherry shrimp (who is now almost as big as they are), I feel pretty bad about adding any more at that size. At least it seems like a few places online sell neocaridinas at 1/2-3/4 inches, which seems like pretty safe size for my tank.

pepperchomp
Jan 27, 2007

chomp chomp chomp
I got tons of blue velvet and yellow goldenbacks. Shrimp are fuckin awesome. I always get so excited whenever they get berried. It's always weird when they throw an oddball color out though. I get the occasional green from my blues. Im gettin in some orange eye blue tiger shrimp this week. I hope I can keep em alive and breed em up. Here in hawaii orange eyes are super rare and they usually run 15 a pop. Im grabbin the load as a part of a deal for a fully stocked planted 55g and stand for 300 bucks.

I just saw this today and I have no idea wtf I am going to do.....

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CRCt_WUHQif/?utm_medium=copy_link

I hope I can keep these alive. And I hope they're as purple as the parents.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CQDWRsunum6/?utm_medium=copy_link

Any advice?

Bonus : update on Ganesh...he gettin biiiiiiig

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CQvaCKonfmx/?utm_medium=copy_link

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

pepperchomp posted:

I got tons of blue velvet and yellow goldenbacks. Shrimp are fuckin awesome. I always get so excited whenever they get berried. It's always weird when they throw an oddball color out though. I get the occasional green from my blues. Im gettin in some orange eye blue tiger shrimp this week. I hope I can keep em alive and breed em up. Here in hawaii orange eyes are super rare and they usually run 15 a pop. Im grabbin the load as a part of a deal for a fully stocked planted 55g and stand for 300 bucks.

I just saw this today and I have no idea wtf I am going to do.....

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CRCt_WUHQif/?utm_medium=copy_link

I hope I can keep these alive. And I hope they're as purple as the parents.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CQDWRsunum6/?utm_medium=copy_link

Any advice?

Bonus : update on Ganesh...he gettin biiiiiiig

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CQvaCKonfmx/?utm_medium=copy_link

I'm picking up some yellow goldenbacks for my next shrimp batch. Those look great and should fit the Yellow Lobster request.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

Nice. When I had a Betta and no heater I noticed some lethargy/clamping until I added the heater, but that was in the winter.

I got him in winter but I made sure to have a heater for him
My only plan for heat was a frozen 8oz water bottle though :(

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

So a few weeks ago I decided to start revitalizing my 20g long community tank. It's been up for years and had 2 9+ year old clown plecos, 5 neons, and 5 panda corys. I setup the QT and added 5 neon tetras from my LFS, and 4 otos from PetCo. The neons were in QT for about 10 days, the otos for 7. Other than 1 of the otos dying overnight the first day, there were no issues and all looked healthy and were eating and acting normal. A couple days ago I added them to the display tank. Yesterday 1 neon and the 2 clown plecos were dead. This morning there were 3 dead pandas and 5 dead neons.

Ammonia and Nitrite 0,temperature stable, no obvious signs of disease. :iiam:

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I would blame the Otto's, they are notorious for dying and probably tookothers with them.
I was thinking about getting a couple and decided no.

What are you using to test the water? If they are the strip things they basically are all junk and can't be trusted I like the API freshwater master test kit that uses the tubes and the drops.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Never trust a Neon:

https://www.thesprucepets.com/neon-tetra-disease-1378484

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Another dead panda since my last post. I've been keeping fish on and off since around 1990. Never had a mortality event like this.

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Warbadger posted:

I'm just letting my 3 year old pick the shrimp. The next batch will be "yellow lobsters", aka neon yellow neocaridinas. Maybe some bloody mary's after that.

A shame nobody seems to sell red crystal shrimp online larger than half an inch. Our LFS doesn't have much variety at all and what they do have is all neocaridinas (and not the most brilliant colors). I got some Red Crystal Shrimp online that look great, but they were like 1/4 inch long which was just small enough to fit in fish mouths. The first week I saw two of them buy it by swimming up to the top of the tank near the front, which seems to be the one way to get the redbelly dace to go after them. So while half of them are still around and sticking to cover along with the one little red cherry shrimp (who is now almost as big as they are), I feel pretty bad about adding any more at that size. At least it seems like a few places online sell neocaridinas at 1/2-3/4 inches, which seems like pretty safe size for my tank.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone keep CRS with fish.

In general shrimp and fish are a difficult mix. We have 4 Clown Kilis and a stunted Minnow in our tank (he was too cute to leave in the store), since they are too small to do anything to shrimp.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Another dead neon.

So in the last 48 hours:
2 of 2 clown plecos dead
9 of 10 neon tetras
4 of 5 corydoras pandas

:wtf:

E: I'm going to have to let the survivors (if any) live out their days as a leper colony or euthanize them, aren't I? :smith:

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 8, 2021

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Another dead neon.

So in the last 48 hours:
2 of 2 clown plecos dead
9 of 10 neon tetras
4 of 5 corydoras pandas

:wtf:

E: I'm going to have to let the survivors (if any) live out their days as a leper colony or euthanize them, aren't I? :smith:

Wow, I'm sorry for all your losses. I haven't been keeping fish nearly as long, but something like that would be really frustrating. Could something have gotten into the tank? Soap/lotion/hand sanitizer? I can't imagine QT fish could be carrying an illness that would suddenly wipe out everything around them.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I would blame the Otto's, they are notorious for dying and probably tookothers with them.
I was thinking about getting a couple and decided no.

What are you using to test the water? If they are the strip things they basically are all junk and can't be trusted I like the API freshwater master test kit that uses the tubes and the drops.

That's the crazy thing, the Otto's look fine! All 4 of them are still alive. For testing I use API kits.

Schwack posted:

Wow, I'm sorry for all your losses. I haven't been keeping fish nearly as long, but something like that would be really frustrating. Could something have gotten into the tank? Soap/lotion/hand sanitizer? I can't imagine QT fish could be carrying an illness that would suddenly wipe out everything around them.

I have 1 other FW tank and 2 saltwater tanks and they are all fine, so I don't think it could be soap/lotion or hand sanitizer related. I did top off evaporation the other day, was about 1.5 gallons out of 20. I'm 99% sure I didn't forget to add water conditioner, but even if I had, would that 2 gallons of chlorinated tap water out of 20 be fatal?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

I'm surprised that doesn't change the temp too fast even for a Betta.

My amanos have survived the BC heat wave despite tank temps getting up to 86F at some points despite AC on max power in the room. Normally fluctuates 72-80F. They don't really seem bothered at all, normal behavior.

Right on, everything here seems peachy too, apart from a single lavender plant. Are there any other BC goon in this thread? And how many hundreds of guppies should I send y'all?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gi85wyrAHbw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVfrp1Ja0hA
I was warned, but I'm still kind of surprised at how prolific these awesome little critters are. I've also been happy to find new pond snail friends. They swim on their backs, and apparently eat up all the duckweed!

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

That's the crazy thing, the Otto's look fine! All 4 of them are still alive. For testing I use API kits.

I have 1 other FW tank and 2 saltwater tanks and they are all fine, so I don't think it could be soap/lotion or hand sanitizer related. I did top off evaporation the other day, was about 1.5 gallons out of 20. I'm 99% sure I didn't forget to add water conditioner, but even if I had, would that 2 gallons of chlorinated tap water out of 20 be fatal?

I've forgotten to dechlorinate during WC before and it had no ill effect, other than causing me to panic. I've heard of some municipalities occasionally increasing chlorine concentrations seasonally, any chance of something like that?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Never NEVER trust a Neon

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

There isn't a hell of a lot that kills that quickly, and for otos to be spared over the other fish here's how I see it: either it's bacteria they're carrying that they're immune to, or it's something the neons had and shed which went to the bottom hitting all the catfish except for the otos. Neither sounds particularly plausible, but there's no real reason for otos to survive a water chemistry problem that takes out the other catfish (they all have similar tolerances and can sip air if necessary) or for it to be an oxygen problem (sparing the otos because they are small thus it should spare the neons too). I'd imagine catfish with gill damage from chlorine would survive much longer. Actually now that I think about it, the first neon to fall would have been at least tasted by any of the bottom dwelling catfish but ignored by the aufwuchs eating otos. So I would stick with blaming the neons vs any irregularity in water chemistry. Having a plague tank is the worst feeling, you can't see or test for if the problem is still around without using low value test fish to see if they survive.

I feel like I don't trust quarantine any more unless it's 3-6 weeks long.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

N17R4M posted:

I don't think I've ever seen anyone keep CRS with fish.

In general shrimp and fish are a difficult mix. We have 4 Clown Kilis and a stunted Minnow in our tank (he was too cute to leave in the store), since they are too small to do anything to shrimp.

I've been happily surprised at just how little the fish I've got in there care about the shrimp aside from that specific circumstance. The RCS came in just tiny enough that they're bite size for the biggest dace in there, even at half an inch they'll be much too big to gobble up and I haven't lost any of them in that size range so far!

The red cherry shrimp are still shy and stick to the wood/rock covered areas, but have all survived - even the one hatched in the tank. The amanos just don't care about the fish anymore. They're getting big and march around the tank like they own the place.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 8, 2021

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Desert Bus posted:

Never NEVER trust a Neon

I'm looking for a new fish to breed... Do you think there's a market for neons which are well bred and healthy?

They're such gorgeous fish, it seems almost criminal that the quality is so terrible

pepperchomp
Jan 27, 2007

chomp chomp chomp

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I'm looking for a new fish to breed... Do you think there's a market for neons which are well bred and healthy?

They're such gorgeous fish, it seems almost criminal that the quality is so terrible

Neons are a little difficult to breed. Gotta trick em using ro water or rain water. Something softer than what you got established in the tank theyre in. U trick em by pouring in the water makin em think it rained. They usually breed early morning when the lights come on. Watch for them to "dance" over thick bushes of plants or moss. I get mine to breed but the babies are so small they need like infusoria or some poo poo. Plus my betta will never let the eggs hatch lately. He decided they are amazing snacks. This same tactic is good for rasbroas as well and cpds. But keeping the eggs and babies alive is the hardest part.

Also regarding tank crashes: I just had my 20 gallon crash cause my large gourami decided out of nowhere to terrorize everyone and stress deaths started happening, at least thats what I'm guessing since my water parameters were g. Lost 10 tetras, a yoyo, a platy and 4 corys. Once the first 2 tetras died everything else just started goin with them. Every other day I lost a fish or 2. I know how it is losing a load of fish all at once. Im sorry bud. Just try to keep observing and learning I guess. Also you really put a scare into me. I quarantine my fish for about 5 to 7 days before puttin em in. Now I feel like I should be waiting a lot longer.....

Edit: are mystery snail eggs supposed to be rock hard? I moved mine from my tank lid to an incubator and they were rock hard. I feel like I just killed my first clutch by letting em hang out on my lid for 1 day. They were so soft yesterday I didn't wanna touch em.

pepperchomp fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

pepperchomp posted:

Neons are a little difficult to breed. Gotta trick em using ro water or rain water. Something softer than what you got established in the tank theyre in. U trick em by pouring in the water makin em think it rained. They usually breed early morning when the lights come on. Watch for them to "dance" over thick bushes of plants or moss. I get mine to breed but the babies are so small they need like infusoria or some poo poo. Plus my betta will never let the eggs hatch lately. He decided they are amazing snacks. This same tactic is good for rasbroas as well and cpds. But keeping the eggs and babies alive is the hardest part.

I understand that part. I've had limited success with glowlight tetra, and I'm not afraid of dedicating tanks to it or spending a lot of time. My real concern is doing it and then not having someone to sell fish to. I can sell CPDs for $3-4/fish pretty easily. I think with neons I'd either just be giving them away or getting <$1/fish