Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: loquacius)

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Justin Tyme posted:

Tiktaktoe, Nancy pelosis cool new app for hip zoomers

are there microtransactions for goated jugs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

you know, like cool skins for the hero from Dota 2, Juggernaut?

or her tits?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

VoicesCanBe posted:

https://x.com/JoshGreenberg27/status/1791337045669073032

Biden is running a top-notch operation that is being undone by teens on Tiktok

I bet they're thinking of holding the next campaign event at the Apollo.

quote:

In Milwaukee on Thursday, Vice President Kamala Harris highlighted her work to close the racial wealth gap. In Atlanta on Sunday, President Biden will deliver the commencement address at Morehouse College, an all-male historically Black institution. And in Detroit the same day, he is expected to speak at an N.A.A.C.P. dinner.

But as Mr. Biden and his team intensify their efforts to engage Black voters, evidence keeps emerging that he faces serious challenges among that politically powerful, heavily Democratic group of Americans, threatening his ability to resurrect his victorious 2020 coalition.

And perhaps nowhere are those problems more striking than in Philadelphia, the largest city in Mr. Biden’s birth state and a place he visits seemingly constantly — pulled back by his roots, its proximity to his current homes and an awareness that Pennsylvania delivered him the presidency four years ago and could decide his re-election bid this fall.

In interviews with nearly two dozen voters in predominantly Black neighborhoods in Philadelphia this week, as well as with elected officials and strategists, signs of softness in Mr. Biden’s standing were palpable.

Just eight voters said they were committed to voting for Mr. Biden, while many others were debating staying home, or, in a few cases, supporting former President Donald J. Trump. They cited concerns about immigration, the cost of living and their sense that Mr. Biden was more focused on crises abroad than on fixing problems in their neighborhoods. And despite Mr. Biden’s robust policy accomplishments, some were unfamiliar with his record.

“I don’t care about what goes on overseas,” said Latasha Humphrey, 36, an infrequent voter who is considering supporting Mr. Trump, if she votes at all. “I care about where I live.”

Democrats have long banked on strong showings in Philadelphia — and more recently, its suburbs — to offset weakness in more conservative parts of this closely divided state. Their concern is not that the city’s Black voters will gravitate en masse toward Mr. Trump, but that too many of them, apathetic about their choices, might simply stay home.

In Pennsylvania, Mr. Biden is doing slightly worse with Black voters than four years ago, though he still wins the vast majority, according to a New York Times/Philadelphia Inquirer/Siena College survey released this past week. He was the choice of 69 percent of Black voters now, compared with 79 percent in June 2020. Mr. Trump was ahead in the state overall in the most recent poll.

For Democrats on the ground, the work to mobilize Black voters — colloquially described as a “battle against the couch” — is steep.

“It’s going to be easy to convince people not to vote for Trump,” said Isaiah Thomas, a Democratic at-large city councilman in Philadelphia who is helping lead an effort to encourage Black men to vote in November. “It’s going to be hard to convince people to vote for Biden. Those are two totally different fights.”

The Biden campaign is working on both fronts.

In a statement, Jasmine Harris, Mr. Biden’s Black media director, said the campaign was “treating Black voters as persuasion targets, pouring the same resources into reaching them that you do for traditional swing voters.” She added, “We’ll really see the results of our campaign’s outreach to Black voters closer to Election Day.”

Last August, the president’s team announced a $25 million advertising effort aimed at battleground states, which included what the campaign has said is the largest and earliest investment in Black media ever for a re-election bid.

The campaign has continued to spend on that front, including a seven-figure investment in Black media this month. Mr. Biden and Ms. Harris have taped interviews with Black radio personalities and community leaders in battleground states.

In a Wednesday interview with Big Tigger, a Black radio host in Atlanta, Mr. Biden described policies from his administration that have helped Black communities, like expanded health care affordability, investments in historically Black colleges and curbs on predatory lending.

He also made a blunt claim about his opponent’s relationship to Black Americans: “Trump hurt Black people every chance he got as president,” he said.

Ms. Harris has also participated in sit-down interviews and informal events meant to reach Black men. Polls show that Mr. Biden is doing better with Black women — whom Democrats often refer to as the “backbone” of their party — than with Black men.

And the Biden campaign is thinking through less traditional ways to reach Black voters in places including Philadelphia and Pittsburgh.

For example, early discussions are underway about using campaign offices in some neighborhoods as community hubs, according to a person with knowledge of the discussions, who was not authorized to speak about them publicly.

There are also plans to try to enlist local celebrities including actors, rappers and other musicians, this person said.

A democracy-focused message was effective in the 2022 midterms for some Democrats. But in Philadelphia, some of Mr. Biden’s supporters don’t see the race in such urgent terms, even as Mr. Trump and his allies make plans that would upend core elements of American democracy and the rule of law if he returns to the White House.

“We’re not going to get a dictator,” said Andrea Barnes, 49, a ninth-grade history teacher who plans to vote for Mr. Biden in November. She has faith in America’s checks and balances, she added, saying, “As dumb as Trump is, he can go as far as he can.”

In Philadelphia, other Black voters said they saw little difference between the two major political parties, associating Democrats with empty promises and Republicans with racism and support for the wealthy.

“They’re all the same,” said Folayemi Wilson, 69, who added that as of now, she did not back Mr. Biden, angered by his support for Israel in the war in Gaza. Democrats, she said, “come around to our churches when it’s time to vote, and then we don’t see them again.”

Clinton Geary III, 41, an entrepreneur and organizer who works to end community violence in Philadelphia, said he would support Mr. Trump in November, his first time casting a ballot. He saw Mr. Biden as more focused on wars abroad than low-income communities domestically.
“How are you going to help go to war and you can’t help feed people?” he said.

https://archive.ph/FEkdG#selection-1115.0-1135.78

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

more like at the Laugh Factory

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

drat how did he get away with all that stuff

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Willa Rogers posted:

I bet they're thinking of holding the next campaign event at the Apollo.

https://archive.ph/FEkdG#selection-1115.0-1135.78

quote:

In a statement, Jasmine Harris, Mr. Biden’s Black media director, said the campaign was “treating Black voters as persuasion targets, pouring the same resources into reaching them that you do for traditional swing voters.” She added, “We’ll really see the results of our campaign’s outreach to Black voters closer to Election Day.”

Last August, the president’s team announced a $25 million advertising effort aimed at battleground states, which included what the campaign has said is the largest and earliest investment in Black media ever for a re-election bid.

The campaign has continued to spend on that front, including a seven-figure investment in Black media this month. Mr. Biden and Ms. Harris have taped interviews with Black radio personalities and community leaders in battleground states.

outreach and persuasion now mean, literally, ad buys and nothing else.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

dailykos deleted a story because it was filled with CT about getty images distributing a 'shopped version of the pic of trump at barron's graduation:

the story is gone but the comments are still there; these are my favorites:

1. it was a man pretending to be melania under that hat

2. the tie is lying flat on trump's belly, unlike all the political toons of him as a blimp

3. trump never smiles in real life

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

I know it's been a week but I just wanted to point out that he is dressed like Chris chan

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

trump already is running ads like this on black radio stations

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

when the cartoon trump living rent-free in your brain is more real than a photo irl.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Willa Rogers posted:

dailykos deleted a story because it was filled with CT about getty images distributing a 'shopped version of the pic of trump at barron's graduation:

the story is gone but the comments are still there; these are my favorites:

1. it was a man pretending to be melania under that hat

2. the tie is lying flat on trump's belly, unlike all the political toons of him as a blimp

3. trump never smiles in real life

this is a bizarre conspiracy

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

The Oldest Man posted:

:effort:

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

the skinnier irl that trump gets, the more weight the cartoonists add to him:

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

VoicesCanBe posted:

This mother fucker is always eating ice cream holy poo poo

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

these were funny too:

my_custom_username
Nov 30, 2023

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

this ad sucks, and is racist and transphobic. maybe trump is bad and should not be presidnet.

now to check who the democrat party is running against him.... oh.... oh dear....

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

KomradeX posted:

This mother fucker is always eating ice cream holy poo poo

DO YOU RELATE YET? BY THE WAY HIS FAMILY KEEPS DYING. DO YOU EMPATHIZE YET? WHAT ABOUT NOW? HE'S WEARING AVIATORS.

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Nichael posted:

DO YOU RELATE YET? BY THE WAY HIS FAMILY KEEPS DYING. DO YOU EMPATHIZE YET? WHAT ABOUT NOW? HE'S WEARING AVIATORS.

i dunno, i walk down a lot of hallways and haven't seen Biden do much of that lately

it's like they don't even want my vote

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Rectal Death Alert posted:

i dunno, i walk down a lot of hallways and haven't seen Biden do much of that lately

it's like they don't even want my vote

pretend I responded with like eighty pictures of the WALKING HARD, THANK YOU! genre of tweet

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

i like vegan ice cream i'm not a rapist and i don't do genocide

i'm not qualified to be potus

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Bald Stalin posted:

these star wars people sound like nazi fascists imho

Well some of it is unintended implications of bad writing. Introducing concepts in individual episodes without thinking about how they connect with other episodes to create a larger story.

Like, the writers want to tell stories about these advanced video game characters becoming self-aware and questioning their own existence. But they also want to use these same 3-D immersive video games to do period pieces where the crew goes to the Wild Wild West or 1960s Vegas. And we're left with the unfortunate implication that the characters are creating sentient self-aware intelligences and torturing and killing them without remorse because it's fun to play a film noir detective or reenact the Alamo or whatever.

Having a holodeck video game character find out the nature of his existence and ask Picard, "hey when you shut this down what happens to me, will my wife and kids still be waiting for me back home" is kinda interesting. But they can't have Picard do anything to really address it or they won't get to do a love story in a holographic Irish village next week so all he can say is "idk lol, end program"

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Nichael posted:

pretend I responded with like eighty pictures of the WALKING HARD, THANK YOU! genre of tweet

Sure, he walked down a hallway 3 days after Afghanistan fell. He walked down two hallways a week after Russia attacked Ukraine.

But what hallway has he walked down lately?

I used to get a hallway walking photo every 3-6 months, but now? nothing?

Rectal Death Alert has issued a correction as of 23:02 on May 18, 2024

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Lib and let die posted:

It's 'dago,' dumbass

Mama mia!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

"The problem with solidarity". :lol: loving moron.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

PoundSand posted:

There's tons stuff like this that I'm sure would have bipartisan support among even the most staunch of contrarian voters. Banning spam/text calls, advertised/list pricing being just what you pay out the door for any item/service/whatever, being able to cancel any service as easily as you started it (no 2 hour phone trees for something you initially signed up for in two clicks), major companies needing to provide email for customer service, etc.

That absolutely no politician campaigns on or even tries to do very straight forward consumer/public protection stuff is just so telling about priorities.

Are there any decent state bills that have been enacted or proposed to curb phone and text spam? I'm guessing no?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

VoicesCanBe posted:

Send Will to tell the their hardships are just vibes

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

das hipster
Mar 7, 2005

The only proper time to punch left is if Jonathan "Piece of" Chait is standing next to you

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

loquacius posted:

Lol I was like "no WAY that's unironic" but I looked it up and lmao

That seems to be a very common opinion among older liberals. They genuinely don't understand why someone would care so much about non-white foreigners being killed. It's basically just a random "foreign policy issue" as opposed to the important issues that affect real people (Americans or people we view as culturally similar, like some Europeans).

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

https://x.com/nypost/status/1791808864045740375

She was the president of a Zionist student group called Realize Israel, at odds with other student activists and professors calling on the university to sever ties with Israel.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I have heard a lot of Jewish people suffer from lactose intolerance. If that's the case I can see how such an affliction would be unbearable.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

i'm the chad vegan genocider-hater

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

mawarannahr posted:

I have heard a lot of Jewish people suffer from lactose intolerance. If that's the case I can see how such an affliction would be unbearable.

i hope she dies

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Uncle Wemus posted:

Send Will to tell the their hardships are just vibes

send this to stancil instead

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Nichael posted:

i hope she dies

settle down

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Willa Rogers posted:

lmao at democrats getting increasingly desperate to get trump out of the race

https://x.com/ShannonBream/status/1791596006963830943

Inflation? Student loans? The ability to buy a house? A genocide happening in Gaza with our money and weapons?

No, the most pressing issue of our day: which direction did Samuel Alito hang his American flag?

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://x.com/ProjectLiberal/status/1790851574627020893

https://x.com/ProjectLiberal/status/1791906738930659741

https://x.com/ProjectLiberal/status/1791834400688054629

Danann has issued a correction as of 00:06 on May 19, 2024

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Nichael posted:

https://x.com/nypost/status/1791808864045740375

She was the president of a Zionist student group called Realize Israel, at odds with other student activists and professors calling on the university to sever ties with Israel.

vaxxed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

oh no not uniform looking affordable housing anything but that!