Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Sorry about your apisto Mozi.

I'm pretty sure my mandarin did not survive, but I haven't seen a corpse. Will be the last time I try to keep one, absolutely beautiful fish and it really sucks to fail one.

In other news, half of my plants showed up several days early. Had to scramble a bit to get everything ready to go. Redid the scape a bit, got my co2 reactor hooked up to my canister and redid the intake on that. Buried a bunch of root tabs in the sand and then got to planting.

A. reineckii and rotala indica both looked great out of the package, but the alternathera lilacina was in fairly rough shape. Need to get my co2 tanks refilled today, hoping they perk up once I get that going. Carpet and background plants should be in later this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Thanks for the kinds words folks. Live and learn... but really with fish diseases sometimes there's just not a happy ending no matter what you do I think. Just sucked that it happened to this fish in particular because once the two apistos had paired up their behavior was really fun to watch. At least he doesn't seem too broken up about it.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

I've had enough fun with the 40 Gallon (and Mrs. Warbadger likes it enough) that I'm budgeting for a nice tank in the 60-70 gallon range to replace it sometime this year/next year. Seems like pretty much everything can transition over directly - even the 36" fluval light can stretch more than enough to work on the longer tanks in that range. Considering doubling up filters to get a surface skimmer in there and maintain the level of flow and filtration.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Aug 6, 2021

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

In case anyone was wondering, guppies very much enjoy eating mosquito larvae

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

They're the dove to the mosquito fish's pigeon so this checks out.

I keep wondering if a guppy tub on my back porch would cut down on mosquitoes in my yard.

PhallicPhalanges
Jun 9, 2015

Her navel is all time musky... Bt look at her face... Her face makes my ROD wakes
I bought some Java moss to use for carpeting a section of my tank. Will it stay on the bottom by itself or do I need to attach it to a rock or driftwood to keep it along the ground?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

PhallicPhalanges posted:

I bought some Java moss to use for carpeting a section of my tank. Will it stay on the bottom by itself or do I need to attach it to a rock or driftwood to keep it along the ground?

I think with java moss you need to attach it to hardscape with string or superglue, not sure if it will anchor to sand.

Speaking of carpets, the rest of my plants finally showed up and I was able to finish planting yesterday. CO2 seems to be dialed in now, so gonna let this go for a few days before reintroducing the fish.

E: few pics of the equip running things

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 7, 2021

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Best plan is to tie it to something or it will not behave itself at all. I took some photos (please ignore filthy glass) to illustrate:

Unkempt and fairly ignored java moss kind of hanging at the bottom but not really being visually pleasing - it gets stringy like this when it can't attach to anything and when it hasn't been trimmed.

Java moss that has started to cling to a rock properly of its own accord - I really like how the fronds become attached to the rock but you can see that the parts that aren't attached are still stringy and ugly:

Java moss and susswassertang established but untrimmed on drift wood - this looks okay but it needs trimming or it will start being stringy and gross too:

This tank was seeded with java moss trimmings from other tanks, cut into half inch chunks and tossed into the tank and then ignored for months, it's got a combination of stringy bits and nice fronds:

It is massively invasive (as per the last tank!) and can be stringy and ugly but with harsh trimming you can keep it under control and get it to look good. I like how it grows freeform in that last tank but it is impossible to keep that structure if you move it, it tends to collapse into a tangled mess. So tying it to either driftwood or stone, to give it structure and form and some way to move or guide the way you trim it, makes it a lot easier to care for. It always helps to encourage bushy growth to chop moss up into manageable pieces, and then to place it on the surface you want it to attach to (not too thick or the moss underneath will die back) and then run a thread around the item in a criss-cross manner. Moss grows better with high water flow so to get your pieces established you can put them near where the filter return is, then move to the final destination. Stainless steel mesh is often used to anchor moss so that might work if you want a flat carpet, otherwise slate or other flattened rocks would work. Rough rocks are easier for the moss to grab than smooth river pebbles.

PhallicPhalanges
Jun 9, 2015

Her navel is all time musky... Bt look at her face... Her face makes my ROD wakes
Thanks for the advice! I will try to attach it to some driftwood then

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

You can also use cyanoacrylate glue (super glue). I did this in my tank.

Beware - it'll end up all over the tank to some extent just free floating and you'll be picking it out of weird spots in the tank lest it grow a bunch there.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

The guppy with the orange/black looks *exactly* like what we thought was platy fry that appeared in the tank after adding the original two platys.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Warbadger posted:

The guppy with the orange/black looks *exactly* like what we thought was platy fry that appeared in the tank after adding the original two platys.

That's actually a hybrid guppy/endler. Just easier to call them all guppies

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Had to pull a few stems of the lilacina that melted, but it and the reineckii mini are both growing new roots like crazy already. This morning was the first time that I've seen much pearling, the monte carlo has a pretty steady stream of tiny bubbles going now. Yesterday I trimmed up some anubias that I've had growing a few years in another tank, and added a couple of the cleanest sections here.

I think I'll have to start a tank journal thread over on the plantedtank forums so I'm not constantly spamming this thread with pics. That said, have a few more pics!

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Hi everyone I am a big idiot and got a Fluval 252 today despite never having a large tank before, or being familiar with canister filters (307). I set it all up and it seemed fine but when I pulled the grey handle on the aqualock which filled the filter but then flooded it causing it to leak... did I just not secure the handles properly after rinsing the media or am I missing something?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Hi everyone I am a big idiot and got a Fluval 252 today despite never having a large tank before, or being familiar with canister filters (307). I set it all up and it seemed fine but when I pulled the grey handle on the aqualock which filled the filter but then flooded it causing it to leak... did I just not secure the handles properly after rinsing the media or am I missing something?

Where was it leaking from? Around the aqua-stop valve on the top or from the seam around the side where the bottom media canister locks into the top with the pump apparatus using the two grey latch handles?

For the handles on the side the key is to hook them around the latch points on the media canister, then push them together until they both click indicating they are fully latched. That said, if you have too much stuff piled into the media trays you may not have a good seal - I never got leaks but that ended up to be the reason I was getting micro-bubbles as air was being drawn through that seal.

In tank news I just got my last fish out of quarantine and into the tank - redfin shiners. They're all kinda small still but seem to be happy and coloring up a bit.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Aug 9, 2021

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

There should be an o-ring around the top of the canister head to keep it sealed, so make sure that the o-ring is in good condition and seated properly and that there's no grit or similar (maybe crumbs of ceramic media) around the top rim of the canister that could cause a gap to form. There are o-rings where the hose fittings go into the top side of the canister head too. For a brand new filter these should be fine but second hand or old stock they could be perished.

Wow looks like you could lose a fair bit of water from that fluval 252 if there's a leak, based on where the filter inlet looks to be. Might be worth setting up the canister in a bucket or plastic tub and having a water sensor alarm in there to detect a leak before it gets out of hand? Looks like a nice tank though, that size gives you a lot of versatility for what you can keep.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Thanks for the advice, I hadn't put the seal in the head gasket correctly. Learned my lesson!

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Just a short clip for everyone today https://youtu.be/Xu6aiq6YNaA

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Well it's been a while since I've heard the CO2 regulator do the end-of-tank dump through the relief valve but it never seems to come at a great time. I don't have any time off for a week or more and none of the local gas places are open outside business hours, e.g. when I'm also working...

How do you folks handle high tech tanks that need to go without CO2 for a while? I dropped the lights by 50% and I think I have some Excel I could dose if needed. My regular fert routine was already nitrate-limited so not too worried about excess nutrients. Could do a big water change just to 'reset' everything anyways?

pepperchomp
Jan 27, 2007

chomp chomp chomp
Ganesh grooming
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CSfaiJyBJtp/?utm_medium=copy_link

Ganesh being friendly
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CSeDUspn9YD/?utm_medium=copy_link

Goldenback surfing
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CSK_aLDp8SU/?utm_medium=copy_link

Any guesses on what he will be? Was blood parrot and super red dragon fry. It's now an ich free mystery fish...
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CSF7x5pJREP/?utm_medium=copy_link

From what I've gathered this thing could be an srd, kirin parrot, a blood parrot or some kind of kamfa kinda like Ganesh, well not a king kamfa but like an f2. Anyone know about breeding flowerhorns?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

https://i.imgur.com/OWec2Em.mp4

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Oh god no it's canister cleaning day please pray for me

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Desert Bus posted:

Oh god no it's canister cleaning day please pray for me

How often do you clean them?

I'm on the "whenever I remember" schedule, which isn't ideal

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

DeadlyMuffin posted:

How often do you clean them?

I'm on the "whenever I remember" schedule, which isn't ideal

It's an Eheim 2113 (good for 66g) with nothing in it but ceramic bio media, combined with the Eheim 6664 prefilter, on a 29g full of plants. I basically ignore it and just clean the prefilter until it starts making noise. I think it's been like 9? months now. I dunno lol. It's super overkill for the tank. The main issue is that it's in a suuuper bad spot and I have to lift the drat thing up like 5 feet to maneuver it out. I can probably ignore it for a few more weeks but the noise is just going to get worse.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Mine get cleaned about once every three months, but I've got three large canisters so I rotate and do one a month. I clean the sponges pretty thoroughly and rinse everything off in the bathtub downstairs with water pumped out of the 150g frontosa stock tub. About to go do that right now on my planted tank canister to bypass the cycle and get fish back in there.

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

Any idea what this hitchhiker snail is? It came in with an Amazon sword the other day. I have Japanese trapdoor snails in the tank so it’s possible it’s one of them but the shell doesn’t look quite right

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
Anyone have a method for euthanizing a fish that doesn't involve clove oil? I don't have any on hand.

I have a CPD who had a bit of fluffy fungus on his side. I've seen it before, and typically it clears up with a bit of salt treatment. His didn't clear up, so I tried a course of erithromycin. That seemed to clear the fungus, but he's been left badly damaged and missing large chunks of scales. His spine is also severely curved, impacting his ability to float and swim. I've let him ride it out in clean water and low-stress for a few days, but he's only gotten worse. I'd like to put him out of his misery ASAP, but I'm not sure if there's a more humane way than just smashing the little guy with something heavy... I'm not real fond of that method.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Schwack posted:

Anyone have a method for euthanizing a fish that doesn't involve clove oil? I don't have any on hand.

I have a CPD who had a bit of fluffy fungus on his side. I've seen it before, and typically it clears up with a bit of salt treatment. His didn't clear up, so I tried a course of erithromycin. That seemed to clear the fungus, but he's been left badly damaged and missing large chunks of scales. His spine is also severely curved, impacting his ability to float and swim. I've let him ride it out in clean water and low-stress for a few days, but he's only gotten worse. I'd like to put him out of his misery ASAP, but I'm not sure if there's a more humane way than just smashing the little guy with something heavy... I'm not real fond of that method.

An overdose of Melafix or Pimafix will do the same as clove oil. I think.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I don't know if Melafix/Pimafix has the same ability to knock the fish out or if it just coats their gills and suffocates them. If you don't want to blunt force trauma the fish I think decapitation or pithing with a sharp knife works but usually that is recommended for larger fish since it would be very fiddly on a smaller fish. Might be more palatable than a brick if you are confident with a knife? I have heard of people using scissors too but any of the physical trauma methods are not for me, I don't like the idea of getting it wrong and causing much more suffering.

Honestly the fish is probably not suffering as badly as it looks right now and can wait a bit until you get a chance to get some clove oil.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Stoca Zola posted:

Honestly the fish is probably not suffering as badly as it looks right now and can wait a bit until you get a chance to get some clove oil.

You're probably right. I'm also squeamish about a sharp knife/blunt instrument because, as you said, I'm afraid of getting it wrong somehow and increasing his suffering. I'll pick up some clove oil tomorrow morning and try to do things correctly.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
the best way to euthanize a small-to-medium fish I’ve seen is to put it in a plastic bag and then hit it hard against a table/countertop/etc like it’s a sock full of coins but gently caress if that don’t make me squeamish as hell—still way better than attempting decapitation or pithing with a sharp instrument

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I encountered the worst smell ever yesterday. Top part of a sponge filter came loose at some point, and a 4" julie managed to get itself stuck down inside the tube in the sponge and die. Lifted the filter out to fix it, noticed the tail inside, and then gagged on just the worst ever smell. Triple bagged the whole filter and it all went straight in the trash.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I don’t know. Curing live rock is the worst aquarium smell I’ve discovered and it’s not even close.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

The 29g:

The 10g:

Please don't judge my too harshly.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Nice tanks Desert Bus!

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Enos Cabell posted:

Nice tanks Desert Bus!

I think they look awful lol but thanks. I don't really get into "trimming plants" or "cleaning glass" or any of that silly stuff. I do waterchanges sometimes and rip out handfuls of Hygro when it takes over.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Seriously looking at the Waterbox CLEAR 4820 as an upgrade for my 40G breeder tank.

Reviews seem pretty good and the wife likes the look, anyone have experience with the brand? Seems like I'd need a lid built for it by a third party, but otherwise it looks like a good package.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Do you all think my driftwood from my death/plague tank can be reused? It's been sitting out on my back deck in the rain/sun since I took down that tank. Can you use a bleach water solution on wood? Seems like absorption might be a bigger problem with wood than other things you use it on.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Do you all think my driftwood from my death/plague tank can be reused? It's been sitting out on my back deck in the rain/sun since I took down that tank. Can you use a bleach water solution on wood? Seems like absorption might be a bigger problem with wood than other things you use it on.

Is it worth it to you? Best case scenario you save 10 bucks on wood, worst case all your new fish die from whatever killed the last group or the bleach releeching back out into the water and you don't know what is happening for sure. I'd start again.

I'm getting a kitten this weekend, I wonder if it'll like to watch the shrimp. The tank is way up on a fireplace mantle with nothing near it to enable jumping up beside the tank so I'm not too worried. Tank also has a flush mount lid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

In my limited experience over the past year, starting keeping fish for the first time, and having 2 kittens arrive, it's no biggie. The cats drink out of the open top aquaria, and come running to beg when they smell the fish food, but they've left the fish, shrimp, and snails alone so far.

Idea for Bulky: If you're worried about bleach leaching, maybe a heat sanitize could work? Boil/bake/ pasteurized? Depending on the size of your hardscape, and how much you want to save.