Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Rastor posted:

I looked it up and HDMI 2.0 should suffice for 1440p 120Hz, if your system supports it

Yeah I believe it's just a matter of your given TV actually having a 1440p scalar along with true 120hz support. I don't know how widespread that is, but I do know for sure that the LG OLEDs only got it this year.

American McGay posted:

I don't think any current graphics cards are 2.1 compatible though. At least not anything in the consumer market. There's supposed to be a DP1.4 -> HDMI2.1 converter coming out sometime later this year(?) but I haven't heard anything about it recently.

I've been keeping close tabs on this and yeah, no news. From what I've read, the main holdup is that the device has to be certified by HDMI Forum but I don't have any rock solid sources to confirm that.

Regardless there are a bunch of open questions about what features it will actually support imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
It's getting more common, but 1440P seems like an odd resolution to run a 4k panel at since 1080P is integer scaled. IDGI.

1080P @ 120 has been around at least since the C7.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

It's just double 720p and even though it's not an integer scale it looks better than 1080p with any half decent scaling chip

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Ok so I've been tinkering with 1440p/120hz on the C9 using an RTX 2080.

It actually didn't work at first but the trick is to set the resolution/hz on Nvidia Control Panel, not Windows. If you try setting it on Windows it just bugs out and reverts to 640x480.

KS posted:

It's getting more common, but 1440P seems like an odd resolution to run a 4k panel at since 1080P is integer scaled. IDGI.

1080P @ 120 has been around at least since the C7.

I was worried about this but I'm happy to report that the C9 is scaling @ 1440p just fine to my eyes. YMMV of course.

Also of note: the input lag of the C9 at 1440p/120hz is only 6.6ms. Daaaamn.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

The C9 is now down to $1999 without tax (in CA at least) at an unauthorized dealer that nevertheless has great service:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-OLED65C9P-65-4K-HDR-Smart-AI-OLED-TV-w-ThinQ-OLED65C9PUA-2019-model/254170006574

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Looking forward to new Roku TV's

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/roku-is-releasing-new-8k-4k-roku-tvs-even-larger-roku-tvs-from-tcl/

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If the 6 Series now has QLED and improved local dimming, I may end up getting one. My PQ65 continues to sometimes blank out both video and audio for a couple seconds while streaming stuff on Youtube and I have 50 more days to return it so :shrug:.

If the new 8 series effectively has 25,000 local dimming zones, that could be a game changer, but $1999 MSRP means $1500 street price at best.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Aug 15, 2019

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Just got a C9 and I love it.

Quick question, is there a way to make the tv display the current output resolution and settings? Most TV’s you can click the center button and it’ll display a banner that has the resolution, HDR status, audio status, etc displayed.

I had it pop up once when I was playing my Xbox but I’m not sure how to make it happen on command.

Edit: kinda answered my own question, I can press the rolling wheel in for the status menu when I’m on any input besides the native apps. Kind of annoying but I like my Apple TV’s interface better anyway.

Biodome fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 18, 2019

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Josh Lyman posted:

If the 6 Series now has QLED and improved local dimming, I may end up getting one. My PQ65 continues to sometimes blank out both video and audio for a couple seconds while streaming stuff on Youtube and I have 50 more days to return it so :shrug:.

If the new 8 series effectively has 25,000 local dimming zones, that could be a game changer, but $1999 MSRP means $1500 street price at best.

I know a TV with 8,000,000 dimming zones that also costs under $2,000 :smug:

Shame about your PQ65. How are you streaming Youtube? Could you try another method? IIRC you got a screaming deal on that TV at Costco so it'd be a shame to have to return it.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

So I just purchased a Samsung Q90R, I had a Sony Bravia before that for about 11 years. Catching up on what's in these things has been sort of daunting to say the least. Although I did find out the hard way that Samsung isn't as friendly with picture and sound options than what I've been used to. I have some Klipsch 2.1 pc speakers I had been using as a cheap way to have some oomph when watching movies or playing games for a while just use a RW audio adapter and easy peasy. Well lo and behold after snagging a converter and hooking it up the sound works fine sounds great. But the loving tv lost volume control. I was politely informed by Samsung that the One Connect box does not have whatever function my 11 year old Bravia had to just adjust the volume on the external speakers connected directly to the television.

Not going to lie I feel pretty pissed that I dropped this much cash on something that can't do that and I have to drop more money on a cheap receiver. Is there any way around this, or am I SOL? loving Best Buy guys informed me I'd need the converter which I figured I would most likely need, even after asking a few times if my speakers alone would be fine.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
If anyone's in the market for an LG C9, Best Buy dropped the price even more today. I bought it for $1800 yesterday and now it's on sale for another $200 off, $1600. Good value. They refunded me the extra $200.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Jiro posted:

Not going to lie I feel pretty pissed that I dropped this much cash on something that can't do that and I have to drop more money on a cheap receiver. Is there any way around this, or am I SOL? loving Best Buy guys informed me I'd need the converter which I figured I would most likely need, even after asking a few times if my speakers alone would be fine.

I don't think a variable level analog audio out is going to be a common feature these days in a world of HDMI CEC.

So it looks like audio extractors do exist that take an HDMI ARC feed and convert it to analog out, controlling volume via CEC. I can't vouch for how well they work, and you may just be better off buying a soundbar.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

KS posted:

I don't think a variable level analog audio out is going to be a common feature these days in a world of HDMI CEC.

So it looks like audio extractors do exist that take an HDMI ARC feed and convert it to analog out, controlling volume via CEC. I can't vouch for how well they work, and you may just be better off buying a soundbar.

Yeah I ended up getting a Polk 2.1 soundbar that was on sale for 139 at Best Buy. Plus I realized that since my Klipsch pc speakers have their own power source, plugging them into a receiver would have eventually ended badly for both devices. :smith: Oh well I guess they're just getting mothballed till I rebuild my PC.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Biodome posted:

Kind of annoying but I like my Apple TV’s interface better anyway.

We love our Apple TV too but I wish it was more useful.

The Shield is our household MVP due to how amazing it is as a plex media server. We have a library of 4K HDR remux on a 12TB server that can also direct play 7.1 lossless audio, it's glorious that you can do that with a cheap set-top box.

And of course that ignores all of the other cool stuff you can do with the shield.

e: the C9 also has Airplay 2 so that also cuts out some of the usefulness of the Apple TV. But I have to say that it has a beautiful interface for sure.

Taima fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Aug 19, 2019

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Hey "TV Heads", would this 2013 Sanyo TV be a good buy if I just want to hook a Nintendo Switch up to it sometimes? I could get one of these, used for ~$40 but I was wondering if there was anything I should watch out for. I don't know anything about non-CRT televisions.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

You can plug a Switch into that TV, go hog wild.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
My LG 65" C9 came in from ebay. :3: It's so stupidly large/overkill for what I usually buy for technology. (Right at the price inflection point is my usual go-to.)

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Ok go into the dolby app and watch the kingdom of colors clip with the colored oil (you'll know what I'm talking about) preferably in the dark and prepare to have your mind blown.

There's a few other good videos in that app too.. the cactus one.

Then go on youtube and look up 4k HDR demos, especially the LG one with the honey dripping.

gently caress yeah.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TCL 55S421 $298 shipped

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Taima posted:

Ok go into the dolby app and watch the kingdom of colors clip with the colored oil (you'll know what I'm talking about) preferably in the dark and prepare to have your mind blown.

There's a few other good videos in that app too.. the cactus one.

Then go on youtube and look up 4k HDR demos, especially the LG one with the honey dripping.

gently caress yeah.

I can't wait. It's currently sitting in a box in my bedroom because we aren't quite ready to install it, I have nowhere for the existing TV to go until my new office is finished being built out.

singe
Aug 24, 2008

I want to ride my bicycle.
https://slickdeals.net/f/13335442-refurbished-samsung-55-class-4k-2160p-hdr-smart-qled-tv-qn55q6fnfxza-3-months-warranty-542-07

Is this any good?

A refurb 55" Samsung QLED 4K UHD HDR Smart TV for $534

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Sure

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest
So, I’m looking to replace my 8yr old 42” LG Best Buy floor model special with something a liiiitle bit nicer. Smart TV features mean nothing to me but I understand that’s just what comes with every panel these days. Budget is around $800 tops, 55” is a good size but I’m not afraid (secretly wanting...) to go bigger. Sources are all the major streaming platforms along with a base PS4 and Switch. Our current living room setup has the tv directly in front of 2 large windows, so reflectivity isn’t a huge concern but it’d be nice to have something nice and bright because even with the curtains drawn quite a bit of light comes in from behind the tv. I’m not looking to future proof or anything, just the best bang for my buck.

Follow up question... do most panels have standard mounting points? Our current tv stand is one of those center mounts so it’s be nice to just put the old hardware on the new tv...

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Merkin Muffley posted:

So, I’m looking to replace my 8yr old 42” LG Best Buy floor model special with something a liiiitle bit nicer. Smart TV features mean nothing to me but I understand that’s just what comes with every panel these days. Budget is around $800 tops, 55” is a good size but I’m not afraid (secretly wanting...) to go bigger. Sources are all the major streaming platforms along with a base PS4 and Switch. Our current living room setup has the tv directly in front of 2 large windows, so reflectivity isn’t a huge concern but it’d be nice to have something nice and bright because even with the curtains drawn quite a bit of light comes in from behind the tv. I’m not looking to future proof or anything, just the best bang for my buck.
The general recommendation seems to be in order from cheapest to most expensive:

TCL 400 series
TCL 600 series (adds real HDR)
LG OLED

For that budget I'd do the 600 series. You can occasionally find last year's 55" B-series OLED going that cheap a little while after the new ones come out, but if you can go without the perfect blacks the TCL gets you a ton of bang for the buck.

quote:

Follow up question... do most panels have standard mounting points? Our current tv stand is one of those center mounts so it’s be nice to just put the old hardware on the new tv...
Basically any TV or computer monitor worth a poo poo supports standard VESA mounting patterns, with the exceptions being super cheap poo poo, super thin poo poo, and Apple (who does offer adapters). There are a few variations which you could run in to, but most mounts will support anything you're likely to find in a given size class.

100x100 is pretty standard in PC monitors, 200x200 and 200x400 are the most common ones I've seen in large-screen TVs.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 27, 2019

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Given the 6 series quality control issues, I'd go with a Vizio 65" M Series in that budget range.

Specifically this one: https://www.rakuten.com/shop/dell/product/AA647490/

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 27, 2019

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Merkin Muffley posted:

Why are saying you don’t want a smart TV? Doesn’t even sound like you can stream 4k unless I’m missing something

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
They never said they didn't want a smart tv....

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Are you a professional hair splitter?

He is not interested in smart TV features but should be since he currently can’t stream 4K on his new 4K tv unless he forgot to list something.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

BonoMan posted:

Given the 6 series quality control issues, I'd go with a Vizio 65" M Series in that budget range.

Specifically this one: https://www.rakuten.com/shop/dell/product/AA647490/

We have this tv and love it. Its come down in price since we bought it and I’m not even mad...

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

wolrah posted:

The general recommendation seems to be in order from cheapest to most expensive:

TCL 400 series
TCL 600 series (adds real HDR)
LG OLED

For that budget I'd do the 600 series. You can occasionally find last year's 55" B-series OLED going that cheap a little while after the new ones come out, but if you can go without the perfect blacks the TCL gets you a ton of bang for the buck.

Basically any TV or computer monitor worth a poo poo supports standard VESA mounting patterns, with the exceptions being super cheap poo poo, super thin poo poo, and Apple (who does offer adapters). There are a few variations which you could run in to, but most mounts will support anything you're likely to find in a given size class.

100x100 is pretty standard in PC monitors, 200x200 and 200x400 are the most common ones I've seen in large-screen TVs.

The poster has said they want something bright though, so although in a vacuum OLED is the best choice, for their situation it might be that a QLED is better.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Taima posted:

Are you a professional hair splitter?

He is not interested in smart TV features but should be since he currently can’t stream 4K on his new 4K tv unless he forgot to list something.

"Mean nothing" can also mean "I don't know much about", as opposed to "I am not interested in". Coupled with the rest of his post (he's out of the loop when it comes to currently technology) and mentioning of wanting to use the major streaming platforms, it seems obvious to parse his meaning: that when he's buying a new TV his main priorities are size and brightness over a multitude of additional features, as opposed to the meaning you wrongly inferred, namely he doesn't want a smart TV at all.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Aug 28, 2019

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

The poster has said they want something bright though, so although in a vacuum OLED is the best choice, for their situation it might be that a QLED is better.

I'd just ignore the Sammy QLEDs and find the Vizio P Series Quantum on sale. It gets nice and bright and can usually be found for $200-300 less than the QLED equivalent.

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest
Oops, I guess I did forget to mention something, we use an Apple TV 4K for all the streaming apps, hence not really being concerned with the native apps on the TV. My wife more than myself is all-in on the Apple ecosystem, but it works well enough for me.

What sort of quality issues does the TCL 600 series have? That’s the direction I was leaning based on price/reviews.

OLED, as awesome as it would be to have looks like it’s out of our price range. When do new models typically drop? I’m not in a -huge- hurry to buy but if I can get a deal when stores start moving last year’s models, I’m definitely open to it.

Local Best Buy looks like it has most of the recommendations on display (TCL 6 series and Vizio M and P-series) in both 55 and 65in models, so I’ll go check them out tomorrow in person and then start shopping around for deals.

I’m starting to lean back towards a 55” set for purely practical reasons, after doing some measuring a 65” set would be.... really loving big... for our situation. Our current setup has us about 8’ from couch to TV with no real practical way to set it up differently.

I will say one benefit of more or less ignoring a certain segment of technology for close to a decade is that when you start digging back into it, poo poo seems ~fancy~

Thanks y’all!

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Merkin Muffley posted:

What sort of quality issues does the TCL 600 series have? That’s the direction I was leaning based on price/reviews.

AVS forum nerds complain about gray uniformity but unless you’re actively seeking out picture quality problems, the regular person won’t notice anything wrong.

I have a 55r617 from Best Buy and had it for about 8 months...couldn’t be happier with it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Nobody ever regretted getting the bigger TV.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

TheWevel posted:

AVS forum nerds complain about gray uniformity but unless you’re actively seeking out picture quality problems, the regular person won’t notice anything wrong.

I have a 55r617 from Best Buy and had it for about 8 months...couldn’t be happier with it.

Stop saying this!

Dirty Screen Effect is generally a non-issue for most tvs even if they have it and is definitely an AVS nerd thing - but the 6 series has a lot of panels that have a very concentrated jailbar version of DSE that is actually totally noticeable during normal content. I'm glad you got a good set but there's a reason the 6 series has the reputation it does. I had to return mine.

Just go to Amazon and read the reviews and see the user pics as well.

This isn't my picture but mine was just as bad or worse:

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 29, 2019

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Yeah. I had the 65” 6 series and while it wasn’t that bad, there was definitely a big splotch in the upper corner. Just didn’t want to play the panel lottery so I returned it.

Ended up getting a 58” Hisense that was a whopping $280 from Costco on sale. Has a bright corner but not super noticeable in real watching. Interface sucks but the picture quality is actually pretty drat good and I’m willing to forgive a lot for under $300 for a basement/game TV. May or may not keep it but leaning on keeping it. I’ll get an OLED when it’s time to replace the living room TV.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
I'm having an issue with my LG C8 having an audio delay to my Klipsch Bar 48 via an optical cord. It's about 1/4 of a second delay.

It seems like this is only happening when the TV's apps or PS4 Pro are outputting 4K content. I hooked up my 1080p Apple TV to the display, and there was no noticeable delay when watching one of those av sync YouTube videos. This problem also persists with HDMI-ARC audio. I hooked up my old sound bar to the TV with the same optical cord, and there is still a delay. I'm waiting for Apple to release some revision to the apple tv next month -- I'm hoping it has a few more a/v settings that I can tinker with.

I've messed with the audio sync settings on the tv, but you can only delay the audio further. "Bypass" also does nothing.

I really feel like I've done so much to diagnose this problem. I'm very confused.

----------------------------------

While we're on the subject, what are the 'more bullshit' post-processing settings on this TV that I should for-sure turn off. I always get rid of the simulated refresh rate stuff on TVs (pretty sure it was called "TrueMotion" on this LG), but there are other things that I'm pretty sure are bad.

Also, the LG Netflix app keeps defaulting to the 5.1 audio output, and we have to switch it each time. This is super annoying, and I can't find a way to stop this behavior.

So... Any suggestions?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My experience with LG is that if you output PCM audio via optical or arc, the audio is going to get delayed. The best lip sync seems to happen when you output 5.1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
In the output selection, I only see "Auto" and "PCM". Am... Am I missing a menu option?