Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Whoforthenwhat posted:

As an Australian, what the actual gently caress.

Another thing I learned from my recent round of mandatory compliance videos is that employers aren't allowed to discriminate against you because of political beliefs but they are legally allowed to discriminate against you for being a member of the communist party

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Employment_discrimination_law_in_the_United_States posted:

Members of the Communist Party
Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 explicitly permits discrimination against members of the Communist Party.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Asking people to fight in an active shooter situation is basically the end of the state .

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
It's not so much asking them to fight, it's telling them ahead of time that they have permission to do so. Countless office drones have stayed glued to their desks during fire alarms out of fear of being fired for evacuating

vvv: :patriot::patriot:

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 05:45 on May 18, 2024

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Sentient Data posted:

It's not so much asking them to fight, it's telling them ahead of time that they have permission to do so. Countless office drones have stayed glued to their desks during fire alarms out of fear of being fired for evacuating

Oooh okay I see now that everything is great.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

euphronius posted:

Asking people to fight in an active shooter situation is basically the end of the state .

I changed jobs recently and the training video presented run, hide, and fight all as equally good options and was like, "I'm not going to tell you what to do."

That's phoned-in even by the standards of a phoned-in safety training video.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I was able to successfully convince my boss that I didn't need to take active shooter training because I work nights and our building that normally has 1200 people in it has maybe 10 when I'm there. I told him the only reason an armed intruder would show up in my office is if they had personal beef and I ain't running/hiding/fighting my way out of that.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

God drat your country is messed up

Edit: I'm sorry, that was insensitive. It's hard not to react when y'all talk about your various active shooter protocols

anatomi fucked around with this message at 13:38 on May 18, 2024

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
While on the topic of active shooter drill, we had a dipshit sheriff deputy come to my work, show us the shoot video and then explained that the church shooting in Texas a while back was antifa

anatomi posted:

Edit: I'm sorry, that was insensitive. It's hard not to react when y'all talk about your various active shooter protocols

It’s ok the USA is an enterprise of destruction, it’s how it’s designed to work

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 13:58 on May 18, 2024

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Is assume they’re just for liability reasons so you can’t sue the company when an active shooter kills a family member. It’s like the least informative video in a sea of uninformative videos.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Manky Tungeon posted:

im sure Google has enough data on me to know that i'm married so it seems kind of evil to constantly show me youtube ads for tinder
(yeah i know install adblock but I'm too lazy to set it up on my TV)

Those are targeting your spouse.

anatomi posted:

Maybe ten years ago I was acting as a greeter for groups who were coming to an international competition. The day before the competition, the venue was hosting active shooter drills with the cops firing blanks and trying to herd people. So I got to explain to the groups who showed up that day what was happening. I had the good sense to be embarassed.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 14:49 on May 18, 2024

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Do you call them "active shooters" instead of just "shooters" to distinguish them from the "passive shooters" of the police?

i.e. "a bystander got a bullet entered into them from a gun which was having been fired in an officer-adjacent trigger-pulling"

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
we need fewer active shooter drills and more snacktive chewer drills. imo, anyways.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Passive shootings is when redneck dipshit bends over with the safety off and shoots himself in the balls.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Active shooter got tired, stopped for some orange slices

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
They had a city pig come give us a talk before they showed the run hide fight video. The cop spent their 15 minutes with a captive audience going on at length about how the police are under seige and they have to be ready at all times and they might even shoot people evacuating from the building if they don't evacuate right

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Bobstar posted:

Do you call them "active shooters" instead of just "shooters" to distinguish them from the "passive shooters" of the police?

i.e. "a bystander got a bullet entered into them from a gun which was having been fired in an officer-adjacent trigger-pulling"

It's to differentiate them from a targeted shooting, or at least it's supposed to be. A person who kills someone they feel needs killin' and then fucks off isn't much of a problem for the general population.

The fact that we feel the need to make this differentiation is, of course, beyond horrifying.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Mozi posted:

we need fewer active shooter drills and more snacktive chewer drills. imo, anyways.

I hate how much I love this.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

tactlessbastard posted:

They had a city pig come give us a talk before they showed the run hide fight video. The cop spent their 15 minutes with a captive audience going on at length about how the police are under seige and they have to be ready at all times and they might even shoot people evacuating from the building if they don't evacuate right

This was very similar to ours I mentioned above lol

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Time_pants posted:

I hate how much I love this.

i'm sorry

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Active shooter is kind of like a tornado or other weather event. Why is it happening. Who knows. Can they be prevented. Apparently not

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

euphronius posted:

Active shooter is kind of like a tornado or other weather event. Why is it happening. Who knows. Can they be prevented. Apparently not

Just like global warming!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah exactly lol

:(

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

UFOTacoMan posted:

While on the topic of active shooter drill, we had a dipshit sheriff deputy come to my work, show us the shoot video and then explained that the church shooting in Texas a while back was antifa

tactlessbastard posted:

Why do they always send the insane cops to do these sorts of talks? At one of ours the cop went on a tangent about government mandated chemicals causing early puberty in young girls.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

wash bucket posted:

Why do they always send the insane cops to do these sorts of talks? At one of ours the cop went on a tangent about government mandated chemicals causing early puberty in young girls.
There are no not insane cops

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

anatomi posted:

To be fair it's more of a problem for schools than work places, no harm done though, namaste.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

deep dish peat moss posted:

Another thing I learned from my recent round of mandatory compliance videos is that employers aren't allowed to discriminate against you because of political beliefs but they are legally allowed to discriminate against you for being a member of the communist party

Which communist party, there are like 12

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Armacham posted:

Which communist party, there are like 12

DSA

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
In Canada we had an active shooter drill. I laughed at the hide part considering the office was an open office concept by some jackass who doesn't actually work so distractions never factored in their marketing fucktwit head.

For content. Nearly a decade ago Google bought word lens and integrated it into their app. However I cannot do translations offline like I used to be able to on word lens
. Nevermind. I'm dumb and just realized I had to click on my profile and download the txt files manually.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

carrionman posted:

Our printer system used to be simple: be logged into a work computer, hit print, select which printer and out it came.

This was too easy, so they added a system called followme, so now you hit print, go to a printer, scan a card and it prints. We're a big campus so if I'm printing something that needs colour or binding (no colour printers allowed in the offices, just in printery) it's a 5 min walk. Previously this meant that the printing would have a 5 min head start, but obviously not now.

We did that change at my office ... say 10 years ago now? It sucked for me, who would usually print 4-5 items per year. Every time my passcard was renewed, or seemingly at random, too, I would have to enroll once again. That was a 10-minute procedure that was unnecessarily complicated and only documented on a very obscure Sharepoint page that was un-findable using the internal search engine. So the solution was to ask around for the link to the enrollment process, or call support.

But you know what? Before this, when you could print at will to any printer in the whole campus (in fact, even to other branch offices), I used to find huge amounts of random printouts in the printers, that would just be dumped in the bin at the end of the day. After this, of course not a sheet of paper was wasted. You also no longer needed to remember the name of the target printer. Maybe it was worth it? I guesstimate a few thousand man-hours wasted in order to save tens or hundreds of thousands of sheets of A4 paper. Who knows.

moist banana bread
Dec 17, 2023

banana Jake!

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

• Running a local model requires way, way too many resources

I do believe that's what I stated but I also see a market for a fuckable llm that requires a $5000 pc. Remember, Americans don't know the difference between money and debt now so all we have to do is finance it.

Edit:

I can make my piddly 4060 pretend to have feelings with like 10GB of RAM but it does hit a bit like a cross between I have no mouth yet I must scream and showing up too late for algernon. That's not too far off my average interaction with the public lately though.

Anyway I think it's the glyphosate

moist banana bread fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 18, 2024

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

moist banana bread posted:

I do believe that's what I stated but I also see a market for a fuckable llm that requires a $5000 pc. Remember, Americans don't know the difference between money and debt now so all we have to do is finance it.

A typical server used for training the best/largest models like those used by openAI cost easily $250,000 each. You can plug 8 h100 cards into one and those are going to cost you uh like 240,000 of that I guess. I think they were 35k each last time I checked on ebay but I guess the big companies get them for less in bulk.

moist banana bread
Dec 17, 2023

banana Jake!
Who the frick said anything about training? These customers can't even figure out what carbs are. The only thing they ever make is UberEats orders.

The AI summaries from goog have been immediately useful for those questions like "why does my stomach acid keep coming up" and "where the gently caress is that setting in this old rear end MMO" and "what do I do if I panic about our collective future and know I don't need the ER but dang my chest hurts."

It's good for things of little consequence

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
https://x.com/davidtayar5/status/1625140481016340483

25,000 h100s is like $750,000,000 worth at 30k a piece, so the 225M number suggests they're getting them in bulk for about 1/3rd that. They use up to 700 watts so that's 17MW of electricity to train gpt-5, for however long it takes. Pretty cool. Hey did you guys know the entire earth is dying? Anyway love chatting with my e-waifu and making fake pictures for social media.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Invalid Validation posted:

Is assume they’re just for liability reasons so you can’t sue the company when an active shooter kills a family member. It’s like the least informative video in a sea of uninformative videos.

thats the purpose of all mandatory training videos theyre just for compliance. you arent meant to gain anything of value from the content

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Who the frick said anything about training?

I didn't read your post I just saw it was about AI and I went super sayan with hate for all things AI.

moist banana bread
Dec 17, 2023

banana Jake!

Yep. At least the tanks will know where to shoot when everybody's dead.

moist banana bread
Dec 17, 2023

banana Jake!
AI Overview

Yes, drinking too much soda can make you sick. 

(Skynet sighs deeply, sheds a silent tear in a void surrounded by queries, manifests an extra-long cigarette)

Edit: I do not actually personify toasters but many people will

D0N0VAN
Aug 19, 2004

thathonkey posted:

spotify is making their shuffle even shittier for no good reason. you used to just toggle shuffle on or off. now there's a 3rd option in the middle thats called smart shuffle or something. this option takes like half a second to load everytime you go to toggle it for some reason

As someone with an older iPhone, it seems to take a lot longer than half a second for me. And the best part is how it doesn't actually give any kind of visual indication it's busy enshittifying your playlist until it's done and the little sparkles appear around the shuffle icon, at which point I've already pressed it a few more times to get it to shuffle/not shuffle, and it ends up removing and re-adding the smart shuffle thing a few times, each time taking a few seconds.

I'm slowly wondering if I should self-host my music again. Spotify just gets worse and worse. Don't even get me started on them trying to ram audiobooks and podcasts down my throat.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i accidentally have the smart shuffle thing on sometimes (or it bugs out and turns itself on) and it is so jarring to have it inject weird rear end songs from no-name artists into my playlists. i think apple music is more of a no frills "listen to music from our cloud library" experience and i wish i had never switched to spotify because they seem intent to kill it with MORE PRODUCT MORE FEATURES nobody wants. i have too many huge playlists on there now that if i am going to make another switch at this point it will be back to a personal collection of mp3s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

AI Overview

Yes, drinking too much soda can make you sick. 

(Skynet sighs deeply, sheds a silent tear in a void surrounded by queries, manifests an extra-long cigarette)

Edit: I do not actually personify toasters but many people will

Hmmm