Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moist banana bread
Dec 17, 2023

banana Jake!
I guess I should explain. I was feeling this vibe: Every time AI is useful, we hosed up in some way. If AI seems smart, it's only because we are so dumb. If AI is useful, it's because we're not there helping each other, or because somebody was so greedy it ruined something basic.

moist banana bread fucked around with this message at 07:10 on May 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

The three types of App store release notes:

- actual release notes (nerd apps only)
- "bug fixes and performance improvements" :effort:
- "tee hee our app elves have been hard at work changing everything and moving things around for no reason! We know you're gonna love it!!!" :fuckoff:

pod6isjerks
Feb 17, 2005

Nap Ghost
This isn't a new observation but those 3 drawer sterilite organizers got way flimsier. I have one from 10+ years ago and it's more stable and looks better than my newer ones.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Windows 10 updated overnight without my permission.

Folders now look different, I can't get rid of this stupid redundant "quick access toolbar" which wasn't there last night, it renabled a load of settings I didn't want, like animations. It keeps changing my stupid start menu, docker desktop now opens at startup and then crashes until I end task it, and I had to click "don't give me ads" six times before it would even let me back into windows.

Also my scroll wheel no longer works properly, it now scrolls veeeerrryyyy slooooowwwwllllyyy or waytoofast, because it's hosed with my trackpoint drivers or something. I told it not to update, and it updated anyway. :(

Also, in updating, it closed the programs I had left open. That I had left open on my closed laptop. gently caress you, windows.

It makes me genuinely upset.

Edit: It's changed my "my computer" folder to look different, and oh look, it also reinstalled edge. gently caress you, I had updates off, I had updates disabled in three different places. And it updated anyway and now everything is messed up. :(

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 10:31 on May 19, 2024

pod6isjerks
Feb 17, 2005

Nap Ghost

Nettle Soup posted:

Folders now look different, I can't get rid of this stupid redundant "quick access toolbar" which wasn't there last night, it renabled a load of settings I didn't want, like animations. It keeps changing my stupid start menu, docker desktop now opens at startup and then crashes until I end task it, and I had to click "don't give me ads" six times before it would even let me back into windows.

Also my scroll wheel no longer works properly, it now scrolls veeeerrryyyy slooooowwwwllllyyy or waytoofast, because it's hosed with my trackpoint drivers or something. I told it not to update, and it updated anyway. :(

Also, in updating, it closed the programs I had left open. That I had left open on my closed laptop. gently caress you, windows.

It makes me genuinely upset.

I used to spend all sorts of time de-bloating and customizing my OS and desktop environment and now I hardly even bother with it. My login screen? Desktop background? It's whatever they've decided it's gonna be today. I'll lock my computer and turn off the lights to go to bed and then watch as it loudly restarts and blasts the dark room with bright monitors. I just don't have it in me to fight it anymore but at least I don't have a smart TV because holy poo poo those look like absolute nightmares

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Windows for games, compatibility, and when you must.

Kubuntu or Mint or whatever for when you want to just have your own system.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

My blood sugar was crashing, I ate an orange and some yogurt and feel somewhat better now. I also found the folder full of stuff I used to disable it last time. (Ribbon Disabler worked)

In terms of something that's gotten better, blood sugar monitoring! I'm bluetooth enabled now and it's awesome, never do a stupid fingerprick test again!

pod6isjerks
Feb 17, 2005

Nap Ghost

Nettle Soup posted:

My blood sugar was crashing, I ate an orange and some yogurt and feel somewhat better now. I also found the folder full of stuff I used to disable it last time. (Ribbon Disabler worked)

In terms of something that's gotten better, blood sugar monitoring! I'm bluetooth enabled now and it's awesome, never do a stupid fingerprick test again!

hey that's cool but how does the bluetooth smell your blood i don't like the implications

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

pod6isjerks posted:

This isn't a new observation but those 3 drawer sterilite organizers got way flimsier. I have one from 10+ years ago and it's more stable and looks better than my newer ones.

All plastic is poo poo now. I had 1-10 year old SMD reels, high user reels from before covid and high user reels after covid, and the quality of the plastic of a fuckin surfacemount component tape reel through the ages was something to behold, especially in real-time.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

pod6isjerks posted:

hey that's cool but how does the bluetooth smell your blood i don't like the implications

Weird chemicals under the skin!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
The imgur app is really hosed. It's impossible to upload multiple images, what most often happens is if I try and upload 3-4 pictures is I get maybe two of them in my imgur account and they're duplicates of one photo.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Atopian posted:

I threw my old GPU into my unRaid box and pass it through to a Windows vm just to stream games and apps to myself if I can't get them working in Linux. Modern Windows is so lovely I don't want it on my main PC even in a dual boot setup :lofty:

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Nettle Soup posted:

enjoy it while it lasts as that's definitely going to be broken with an update, abandoned, or forcibly have a subscription attached eventually

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Squatch Ambassador posted:

I threw my old GPU into my unRaid box and pass it through to a Windows vm just to stream games and apps to myself if I can't get them working in Linux. Modern Windows is so lovely I don't want it on my main PC even in a dual boot setup :lofty:

I haven't had to run Windows to play a game in years, but I don't play those battle royale multiplayer games that refuse to run unless some rootkit DRM anti-cheat bullshit is installed.

The best part is when those games don't work in Windows either, and the instructions for fixing it are basically "edit these registry keys that turn off a bunch of OS security features".

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

When companies started charging you for doing their admin work for them. I used to be able to buy cinema tickets direct from the website and just pay the ticket price. Now there's a charge for doing it this way. And it isn't even a one-off charge, it's per ticket despite it being one transaction.

Dickheads.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

RIP Piper security camera. They finally went dark a few months ago, but that was years after they went out of business. I think RIM (Blackberry) bought them out, and for some reason maintained their network for years.

An online security camera with no subscription! Such a thing will likely not be seen again.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Relyssa posted:

enjoy it while it lasts as that's definitely going to be broken with an update, abandoned, or forcibly have a subscription attached eventually

I mean it already has a sub attached, in that the arm things need to be changed every two weeks and each sensor is around £50, but at least for now I get them on the NHS.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

The webcomics/manga aggregator I use has decided to add a delay to new releases and a countdown suggesting I go to the translators site to read it. Don't worry if this post means nothing to you, you can be sure I am right to be annoyed.

D0N0VAN
Aug 19, 2004

Nettle Soup posted:

It won't solve all of these issues unfortunately, but have a look into Windows 10 LTSC. It's an edition of Win 10 without most of the annoying stuff that won't get any 'feature' updates. It gets security updates until like 2032 too.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Atopian posted:

Linux is good now. If you don’t specifically need unique, windows- or Mac-only software, there is probably a Linux out there for you.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Saving myself for Windows 12

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Insanite posted:

there is probably a Linux out there for you.

yeah found your problem there

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

... only documented on a very obscure Sharepoint page that was un-findable using the internal search engine.

Getting a thousand yard stare here.
"Ok carrionman, to find the ALNATS procedure go to (campus) then (department) then the folder called "new 2017"
Then "computer stuff" followed by "systems" "students" "new students" "monitoring" "reports" "how to guide"

loving boomers and computers.

moist banana bread
Dec 17, 2023

banana Jake!

pod6isjerks posted:

I used to spend all sorts of time de-bloating and customizing my OS and desktop environment and now I hardly even bother with it. My login screen? Desktop background? It's whatever they've decided it's gonna be today. I'll lock my computer and turn off the lights to go to bed and then watch as it loudly restarts and blasts the dark room with bright monitors. I just don't have it in me to fight it anymore but at least I don't have a smart TV because holy poo poo those look like absolute nightmares

Haha I do this too. I reinstalled this week because system interrupts were becoming like %5 cpu time. It's an old computer with known bad RAM that bsod's randomly, so why bother?

redshirt posted:

An online security camera with no subscription! Such a thing will likely not be seen again.

Raspi with a webcam? Not very convenient if you needed much of a setup though.

moist banana bread fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 20, 2024

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Linux sucks and anyone who recommends it also sucks.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

moist banana bread posted:

Haha I do this too. I reinstalled this week because system interrupts were becoming like %5 cpu time. It's an old computer with known bad RAM that bsod's randomly, so why bother?

Raspi with a webcam? Not very convenient if you needed much of a setup though.

Who hosts the footage?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

"listen you're gonna have to install like 20 distros and probably reinstall the distro you like 20 times because you installed poo poo in the wrong order, but there is a linux out there for you"

im a stupid dipshit that loves computers who will do that

most people are not stupid dipshits like me

moist banana bread
Dec 17, 2023

banana Jake!

redshirt posted:

Who hosts the footage?

Well locally I assume we can record in a loop to an HDD or something, but yeah I don't know about setting up remote access. I'm basically assuming someone has thought of this.

Hey guys. Chat GPT says I can just charge this LiPo as a NiMh, sounds good right? 👍 (I'm not going to)

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
They've perhaps mortally wounded the iOS YouTube app by super duper aggressively pushing Shorts, all up in your grill, as soon as you open the app. The whole screen is filled with Short shart as soon as you open the app. Then scrolling down there's like 5 normal recs and then another full screen of bastard Shorts nonsense. Truly a dark day for humanity

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
There is literally not a single phone app I've ever used that didn't suck. The Awful App is about as close as anyone's come simply because it's content presenting information in a simple table with nothing else. App designers cannot help themselves.

Also, I have few nice things to say about Windows, and zero nice things to say about MacOS, but this hits the nail on the had as to why I don't recommend Linux to anyone:

Insanite posted:

there is probably a Linux out there for you.

Its maintainers are its own worst enemies.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

I will never have sex again

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

pencilhands posted:

Guilty feet have got no rhythm

teen witch fucked around with this message at 09:39 on May 20, 2024

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

pencilhands posted:

… for no good reason?

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Some goon recommended Bound as an app for playing audiobooks and it's pretty good in the way that Awful is. It does the thing, and that's it. Firefox app seems to work well

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I got it fixed, using ribbon disabler and then resource hacker to remove the "command bar". Now I'm trying to reboot and it tells me it's installing updates.

OK fine, how much worse can it be? I have all the stuff to fix it now anyway.

Ten minutes later: could not install updates, undoing changes.

Finally restarts, continues undoing changes for another ten minutes.

This was exactly why I had the poo poo disabled, windows, gently caress off! Leave my decade old laptop alone!

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Been meaning to post this for a while now

The Far Side page-a-day calendar this year forces Saturday and Sunday to share a page. Wonder how much they saved by removing 52 pieces of paper?

These calendars were a thing years ago, disappeared for a long time and then were brought back last year. It's been a good nostalgia hit but I think I'll skip it in 2025.

Quadramind
Dec 8, 2011

They take the good oil out of my peanuts and they put bad oil in.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Quadramind posted:

They take the good oil out of my peanuts and they put bad oil in.

oil is stored in the nuts

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I have started writing documents as draft emails to no one in outlook because it auto saves without having to deal with onedrive.

hahah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I just tried to buy tickets to an upcoming show featuring Eugene Mirman.
The app wanted me to do captchas before letting me check out.
I failed three of them in a row (bicycle, fire hydrant, traffic light).
gently caress you, guess I'm not buying tickets