Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Gungrave doesn't belong to Sega anymore, it's owned by the company that also owns Kingdom Under Fire and I think the new dev is Iggymob or something with a 'thanks for the original' note to RED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

So it's almost certain that there will be a Playstation showcase in or around two weeks. There have been some leaks as to what will be revealed but they're hard to confirm. I didn't check them because I'd rather be surprised but this feels like release date/price announcement stuff.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Here we go punks!

https://twitter.com/playstationeu/status/1569446055695056896

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

But the queen just died! How could they do this while the world mourns!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Steve Yun posted:

But the queen just died! How could they do this while the world mourns!

Now you can interact with the eternal Virtual Queen! :science:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

10 minutes in and :geno: to the max

Wow, that sucked. Two lovely PSVR 2 games, GoW Ragnarok spoilers and a bunch of stuff I guess. That might've been the worst State of Play yet.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 13, 2022

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Half of it looked interesting but from a VR standpoint it was pretty weak.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
On PC Demeo was pretty drat good, so don't write it off just yet

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Eurogamer's Ian Higton got to play 4 games on the PSVR 2 and came away very impressed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7oN_Q4pbkI

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I'm not even super into Resi anymore but I'm getting Village just for PSVR2. I wonder if it'll still be the same base game or if they'll do the scummy thing and put out a paid DLC or a whole new game for it. Village goes for pretty cheap nowadays after all so if it just supports PSVR 2 out of the box, that's pretty rad.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Stare-Out posted:

I'm not even super into Resi anymore but I'm getting Village just for PSVR2. I wonder if it'll still be the same base game or if they'll do the scummy thing and put out a paid DLC or a whole new game for it. Village goes for pretty cheap nowadays after all so if it just supports PSVR 2 out of the box, that's pretty rad.

I’m pretty sure they already confirmed it’s a full separate game purchase, not DLC or a patch-in.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Well that's just a bunch of bullshit is what that is. Is there a source?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Looks like there isn’t and I may be full of crap! :v:

I’d be kind of surprised, but very pleased, if it’s a freebie.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Dewgy posted:

Looks like there isn’t and I may be full of crap! :v:

I’d be kind of surprised, but very pleased, if it’s a freebie.

To be fair, you never know with these things, but I hope you get it with just the base game like RE7!

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Has there been any talk about PSVR2 supporting original PSVR games? Or are they just too fundamentally different with how they handle head tracking and such?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

No official word on BC which is a little telling, and speculation based on what's known about how PSVR1 handles tracking points to no. I'm allowing myself to hope that the better PSVR1 games get ports.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Just gimme a PSVR2 port of RE:7. I don't feel like that's a huge ask at this point.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

McCracAttack posted:

Just gimme a PSVR2 port of RE:7. I don't feel like that's a huge ask at this point.

Also Tetris, Astro Bot, and Star Trek Bridge Crew.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

... yeah I could play Astro Bot again.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I’d love to play Deracine and not have it be in blurry 480p.

Wouldn’t mind running through Moss again either.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Gimme more SUPER HOT

SUPER HOT

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It’s not explicitly confirmed but I assume since ps5 supports psvr games that psvr2 will too

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I can see how PSVR backwards compatibility would be hard for PSVR2. You'd need to trick the PSVR games into thinking they're still looking at a leftover mess of PS3 move controllers and webcams to track everything's position.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

McCracAttack posted:

I can see how PSVR backwards compatibility would be hard for PSVR2. You'd need to trick the PSVR games into thinking they're still looking at a leftover mess of PS3 move controllers and webcams to track everything's position.

The other side of it is there's no real point to trying to fudge the Move-driven stuff to play nice on PSVR2 - Most of it's just ports of PCVR or Quest games anyway so why bother when you have a better build to start from and just port anew from that?

Also just trying to get anything gamepad-driven probably doesn't have a standardized 1:1 solution that isn't a bit clunky, unless they want to reveal at the last second you can detect a DualSense's position with the headset.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

McCracAttack posted:

Ideally games would be using an external API with less surface area than the full hardware interface so it could be more easily shimmed into working with the new stuff. But according to a thing I read on Reddit once a while ago, psvr games handle tracking in-engine using a library. So it's either patch games or emulate the old hardware. I can see why Sony would punt.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1570826219196944385

Sony confirms - no backwards compatibility for PSVR.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

That’s a bummer. I hope teams will release free updates if the porting process isn’t too bad.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1570826219196944385

Sony confirms - no backwards compatibility for PSVR.

lol reveal yourself Sony employee.

No surprises there though.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah no surprises, but for sure a lot of devs, especially first party, will make their games work on PSVR2, particularly the more popular ones. But I'm still a little nervous for some of them, it would really suck to lose Tetris Effect and a few others.

That said, if it is a matter of porting a PCVR version to PSVR2 or just tweaking a few things to make a hugely popular PSVR1 game available for the new audience, it would be kind of a no brainer to update them.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Guess I’m never selling my psvr1 then

I need my endorphin dolphins

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I'm keeping it just for Wipeout unless they patch it for PSVR2 in which case I will lose my loving MIND.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

There are waaaaay too many great PSVR games for them to be abandoned. Thumper, Superhot, IEYTD, Statik, SuperHyperCube, etc, etc.

I feel like some of the older ones may never get ported. SHC is one of my favorites, but it rarely gets mentioned.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Stare-Out posted:

I'm keeping it just for Wipeout unless they patch it for PSVR2 in which case I will lose my loving MIND.

Oh poo poo I can't believe I forgot Wipeout. I gave myself neck problems playing that game. It's like a roller coaster you have to steer.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

XtraSmiley posted:

There are waaaaay too many great PSVR games for them to be abandoned. Thumper, Superhot, IEYTD, Statik, SuperHyperCube, etc, etc.

I feel like some of the older ones may never get ported. SHC is one of my favorites, but it rarely gets mentioned.

Only one of those is actually a PSVR-exclusive game (Statik), the rest are all ports of PCVR games.

Statik would be worth getting a rebuild though.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Only one of those is actually a PSVR-exclusive game (Statik), the rest are all ports of PCVR games.

Statik would be worth getting a rebuild though.

Does that mean you think they will be quickly ported to PSVR2 b/c there are builds on PC that already don't need the Moves and PS Camera?

I hope so.

Statik is awesome, but I'm a sucker for breakout/escape type games.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Statik would be tricky because the entire concept was built around a two-handed controller. You’d have to redesign most of the puzzle boxes if your hands are free to separate

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

haveblue posted:

Statik would be tricky because the entire concept was built around a two-handed controller. You’d have to redesign most of the puzzle boxes if your hands are free to separate

Not really; You just interpolate the box's position and angle between the two controllers to create an even MORE accurate representation of having the box over both hands.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not really; You just interpolate the box's position and angle between the two controllers to create an even MORE accurate representation of having the box over both hands.

You can try, but part of it is the feel that your hands are exactly a certain distance apart and there's physical resistance if you try to move them independently

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

haveblue posted:

Couldn't they just use the DS? I mean, it doesn't have the light bar, but with the PSVR2s camera's it might not be an issue.

I like the idea of expanding the boxes to use both new PSVR2 controllers though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The lightbar points away from the HMD and the cameras aren't suited to tracking it in the first place as they are B&W/IR not RGB.

Sony hosed themselves over by not creating a true VR API. It's easy to think of solutions for some games that might work alright if you did x or y, but there are so many edge cases that would break across so much of the library I could understand why they wouldn't bother. Even bringing in the old hardware would cause complications with calibrating tracking universes.