Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
$20K for a world record setting event meanwhile capcom is throwing a million dollars for CPT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Don't want to devalue their headline event by handing out money at something owned by sony.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Sony truly believes in eSports, uh?

How is no one in the media roasting them over this bullshit? This isn't a tiny event at a small arcade anymore.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Saoshyant posted:

How is no one in the media roasting them over this bullshit? This isn't a tiny event at a small arcade anymore.

I think EVO and the FGC in general is kinda insular, compared to the relationship other esports have with media.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

The media doesnt care. I've not seen many articles about EVO at all and the ones I have seen are just talking about how many of the ps5 usb ports broke.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
plus, what exactly is the article going to be? ''it would've been cool if the prize pools for this tournament were bigger, since they could've probably afforded it"

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

flatluigi posted:

plus, what exactly is the article going to be? ''it would've been cool if the prize pools for this tournament were bigger, since they could've probably afforded it"

If there's an article on where the money went it'd be pretty interesting

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Saoshyant posted:

no one believes in esports

if anything its still shocking to me that Capcom is fronting a milli for capcom cup after holding out for so long

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
There are silly amounts of sports-washing dollars being thrown around right now, especially with one of the Birds winning Evo I wouldn't be surprised to see some 6/7 figure tournament in Dubai or something. Only real thing stopping it is Capcom not wanting their own big tournament being upstaged.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Firebatgyro posted:

There are silly amounts of sports-washing dollars being thrown around right now, especially with one of the Birds winning Evo I wouldn't be surprised to see some 6/7 figure tournament in Dubai or something. Only real thing stopping it is Capcom not wanting their own big tournament being upstaged.

https://twitter.com/gamers8gg/status/1687537993152659459?s=46&t=kRx4sq76ryXHjk6wINOgEw

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

drat lol

Char
Jan 5, 2013
I hope Dubai won't become the "Euro" EVO host city, in the hypotheis it will actually happen

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Holy crap

Char posted:

I hope Dubai won't become the "Euro" EVO host city, in the hypotheis it will actually happen

Yeahhh.. but the fact that they didn't mention or even give a hint of the third location doesn't make me too confident about it lol

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

lol @ the idea of the FGC being able to afford trips to Evo Dubai. I dunno maybe it's just me.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

AndyElusive posted:

lol @ the idea of the FGC being able to afford trips to Evo Dubai. I dunno maybe it's just me.

Everyone flies in free. They just have to hold onto your passport for a bit...

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

If anyone thought there were too few women competing at EVO, then just wait for EVO Dubai.

Not a single women in their right mind will attend. And any openly LGBT person will stay home, too. It's a dangerous place to be on.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 8, 2023

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

AndyElusive posted:

I know at least for the Pakistani players, they have been pushing for majors outside the US/EU because of how hellish it is for them to get visas, it is unfortunate that one of the nations that would be easy for them to travel for competition is, well

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

AndyElusive posted:

Trips to Vegas aren't cheap either

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

AndyElusive posted:

I mean yeah those tournaments aren't for the FGC. Its for the top percent of players who can afford it.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I mean yeah those tournaments aren't for the FGC. Its for the top percent of players who can afford it.

Being an eurogoon, is it that expensive for the average american dedicated FG player? I was planning a trip to EVO2018 but I ended up not going, flying to Las Vegas was like 1500 euro so the plan was to treat it like a trip.
Were it in Berlin, dunno, I could take my car and drive there.

Char fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 8, 2023

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

In Training posted:

Trips to Vegas aren't cheap either

Guess it depends on where the flights leave from. Flights to Vegas from my location are in the in low hundreds while flights to United Arab Emirates is in the thousands. :homebrew:

Fair enough.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Char posted:

Being an eurogoon, is it that expensive for the average american dedicated FG player? I was planning a trip to EVO2018 but I ended up not going, flying to Las Vegas was like 1500 euro so the plan was to treat it like a trip.
Were it in Berlin, dunno, I could take my car and drive there.

Depends where you live in the states. Flights also got a bit more expensive recently.

For example, someone probably isn't going to drive to Vegas from Texas

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I wont blame the players for attending it, cuz they've gone all in on this whole esports thing and they gotta put food on the table somehow, but I will not be watching that tournament.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Depends where you live in the states. Flights also got a bit more expensive recently.

The way it's been this hot and gas being as expensive as it's ever been? Probably not. Vegas heat can be awful on cars even if they're already prepped for the trip. Flying usually isn't so bad since most shitbox budget airlines have at least one non-stop to get you to Vegas.

Flights more expensive, our flying system, network/whatever just collapses if one airline cancels a few flights. Pilots threatening to strike. It's a lot this year.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It was cheaper for me to drive but I live in San Diego area so it was one tank to get to Vegas and another tank to get back.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Also Vegas hotels are relatively cheap since they want you to go gamble.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

FWIW a friend of mine did that for Evo 2011. I'll just say seeing northern New Mexico during sunset/at night and Arizona during sunrise was beautiful. Plus seeing all the wind farms in north Texas and stopping at Hoover Dam in the morning was really cool. Sucks that the Meteor Crater park wanted so much money for entry on the drive back.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Saoshyant posted:

If anyone thought there were too few women competing at EVO, then just wait for EVO Dubai.

Not a single women in their right mind will attend. And any openly LGBT person will stay home, too. It's a dangerous place to be on.
SonicFox revealed today that he was offered a spot at the Gamers8 invitational in Saudi Arabia, but dropped out because he "doesn't enter tournaments he can't win" - I wonder if that's just a kinda weird excuse for being rightfully terrified of visiting the country as an LGBT person

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cat Machine posted:

SonicFox revealed today that he was offered a spot at the Gamers8 invitational in Saudi Arabia, but dropped out because he "doesn't enter tournaments he can't win" - I wonder if that's just a kinda weird excuse for being rightfully terrified of visiting the country as an LGBT person
i assume they mean it as a veiled statement about how there would probably be drama and trouble if someone like them won a tournament in saudi arabia.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Cat Machine posted:

It's almost certainly that, considering he was offered an all-expenses-paid trip to a tournament where placing 7th-8th nets you more money than winning Evo did.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Uh, just realized SonicFox didn't reach top 6 of any game, including one's home turf game Mortal Kombat. That's unusual. Apparently Angrybird also got through SonicFox at some point during the SF6 gauntlet.

There was also an exhibition with the new Skullgirls character Marie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg4m4FBZcPs

And that's about it. Kept a low profile on this EVO from what it looks like.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Anyway, I collected the top 6 finals of every game I could find, thankfully the Youtube EVO channel got those out fast so no need to go through 12 hours long Twitch VODs:

Mortal Kombat 11
Melty Blood Type Lumina
Granblue Fantasy Versus
King of Fighters XV
Dragon Ball Fighter Z
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
Guilty Gear Strive
Tekken 7
Street Fighter 6

Ads plus all the time wasted between matches were awful, a couple of GF mirror matches were extremely unhype, but all in all, UMvC3 pools, Tekken 7, KOFXV, and especially SF6 were legit great.

See you next year!

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Saoshyant posted:

Uh, just realized SonicFox didn't reach top 6 of any game, including one's home turf game Mortal Kombat. That's unusual. Apparently Angrybird also got through SonicFox at some point during the SF6 gauntlet.

There was also an exhibition with the new Skullgirls character Marie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg4m4FBZcPs

And that's about it. Kept a low profile on this EVO from what it looks like.

tbf he intentionally DQ'd himself from other games because he wanted to focus on SF6 this year. Didn't really work out for him but that was the reasoning.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Saoshyant posted:

Anyway, I collected the top 6 finals of every game I could find, thankfully the Youtube EVO channel got those out fast so no need to go through 12 hours long Twitch VODs:

Mortal Kombat 11
Melty Blood Type Lumina
Granblue Fantasy Versus
King of Fighters XV
Dragon Ball Fighter Z
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
Guilty Gear Strive
Tekken 7
Street Fighter 6

Ads plus all the time wasted between matches were awful, a couple of GF mirror matches were extremely unhype, but all in all, UMvC3 pools, Tekken 7, KOFXV, and especially SF6 were legit great.

See you next year!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibF65hpUQPE GG +R
spooky also hosted XRD but the vod isnt up yet.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Boogalo posted:

GG +R
spooky also hosted XRD but the vod isnt up yet.

Thanks. Spooky's also got the top 6 for BB Central Fiction and Soulcalibur VI.

I'm going to add all of those to the OP for easy reference. If anyone knows of more VODs for the other side tournament games, let me know, I missed every single of those since I had no Internet during the first two days of EVO.

Edit: also found SamSho's and Garou's on SNK's channel. It's the full thing though so I'll have to timestamp the top 6 of each.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Aug 9, 2023

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Sponsors also help the top level players get around as needed. Like when that Thursday flight out of Japan got canceled, Red Bull paid like $4500 to get Bonchan onto the next available flight.

CharlestonJew posted:

tbf he intentionally DQ'd himself from other games because he wanted to focus on SF6 this year. Didn't really work out for him but that was the reasoning.
They got top 32 out of 7000+ which is still pretty good imo

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

ReverendHammer posted:

FWIW a friend of mine did that for Evo 2011. I'll just say seeing northern New Mexico during sunset/at night and Arizona during sunrise was beautiful. Plus seeing all the wind farms in north Texas and stopping at Hoover Dam in the morning was really cool. Sucks that the Meteor Crater park wanted so much money for entry on the drive back.

Lol yeah I had a group of friends who did the roadtrip to Vegas from Texas in this huge van. Wild. This was years ago though

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 9, 2023

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Saoshyant posted:

Thanks. Spooky's also got the top 6 for BB Central Fiction and Soulcalibur VI.

I'm going to add all of those to the OP for easy reference. If anyone knows of more VODs for the other side tournament games, let me know, I missed every single of those since I had no Internet during the first two days of EVO.

Edit: also found SamSho's and Garou's on SNK's channel. It's the full thing though so I'll have to timestamp the top 6 of each.

If you want to go twitch vod spelunking, these were the sidegame schedules

https://twitter.com/_AmedeoAvogadro/status/1686824163623960576
https://twitter.com/_AmedeoAvogadro/status/1687132140683796481

edit: i wonder if the person who runs GDQvods would like to expand out to fightgame tournament vods and timestamps links

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Was AnimEVO side tournaments not a thing this year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Double Bill posted:

It's almost certainly that, considering he was offered an all-expenses-paid trip to a tournament where placing 7th-8th nets you more money than winning Evo did.

i dunno. sonicfox has never made veiled references to anything, there's not a diplomatic bone in their body

when their team won twitch rivals and they were asked if they were going to CEO they straight up said "you want me to go to florida? gently caress that, i'm black" lmao