Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Loki has a new thing. When she wants to go to bed he starts shreaking until the light is turned off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

learnincurve posted:

Loki has a new thing. When she wants to go to bed he starts shreaking until the light is turned off.
Ahahaha. Suddenly Judah's going to his sleep perch, staring pointedly and making quiet cranky sounds seems so subtle

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Inko starts kissing about 15 minutes before sleep time and gets increasingly louder, and if you ask "want night?" he'll give a very loud kiss in reply and be incredibly enthusiastic about it

Jose Oquendo posted:

Jesus gently caress can we keep this dumb anime visual novel dating sim poo poo out of here.

It's been posted about before, it's bird related, just scroll over it.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Battle Pigeon posted:

Inko starts kissing about 15 minutes before sleep time and gets increasingly louder, and if you ask "want night?" he'll give a very loud kiss in reply and be incredibly enthusiastic about it
Ahahaha that's so cute. "gently caress YEAH! TIME FOR BED! WOOHOO!"

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers
Bonny puts her self to bed, she then makes nice parrot beak grinding noises.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That noise is the best. At this point it's kind of like a cat purring is, to me; that same kind of mellowing sense like "Bird is happy, world is good."

EDIT: Ahahaha after I hit submit on that Judah did it so loud I could hear it six feet away or so :3: Good potato.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

Beak grinding means you're not in immediate danger of being killed by your birb. That's why it's so pleasant to hear.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Tendai posted:

Ahahaha that's so cute. "gently caress YEAH! TIME FOR BED! WOOHOO!"

Yeah, at first we thought he was just getting agitated and begging, since we give him the remains of Steve's seed bowl before changing it at night. But he kisses after that, and only does the KYU! ethusiastic sound to Want Night? and gets pissed if you don't start covering him up. He also shuts up kissing after being covered. Guess he just loves his routine?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I've had birds who will put themselves to bed if you leave their cage door open. They'll crawl in all by themselves and start falling asleep and I'll get up and go cover them. Sometimes they'll say whatever their goodnight word is, sometimes they won't.

I've also had birds that felt like I was wrestling with a 3 year old trying to get them to go to sleep. They'd start falling asleep wherever they were and if you went up and tried to get them to step up they'd get hissy and bitey and be little shits. Once they were on your finger they'd settle down and let you put them in their cage and cover them, sometimes with one more lunge at you to say goodnight.

Of the two I much prefer the former.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Man, both of my cockatiels I've had as an adult have been chill about bed. Eriza didn't get into it like Judah but she was resigned at least. Judah, like I mentioned, makes it real fuckin' clear that it's time for bed and what am I doing god drat it.

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k
Oh yeah, Max will walk through multiple rooms to climb into his cage and go to his sleep spot. When he's done, he's done.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Hal likes to eat grapes

He also likes almond, rocket (arugula) and spinach. Sadly he turns his beak up at bananas though which sucks because that's the one fruit I always have in.

He also likes preening my beard.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011
I went to my bird shop to visit their conures today and almost left with this handsome fellow.

I think parrot guy may be the male version of a cat lady and I'm ok with that being my future.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
oh my god look at that face

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

i poop fire posted:

I went to my bird shop to visit their conures today and almost left with this handsome fellow.

I think parrot guy may be the male version of a cat lady and I'm ok with that being my future.

Oh my god what kind of bird is this? I want one! Also my wife says I can't have any more birds since I rescued Zippy and Bungle who are doing well. They occasionally come out on their own now! But they need close supervision since they haven't learned where to land when they fly yet. I don't want to clip them because as far as I know they've never been clipped, and generally I'm not in favor of clipping if the birds can stay safe.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Looks like one of the "mini macaws" to me :3:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

anotherblownsave posted:

Oh my god what kind of bird is this? I want one! Also my wife says I can't have any more birds since I rescued Zippy and Bungle who are doing well. They occasionally come out on their own now! But they need close supervision since they haven't learned where to land when they fly yet. I don't want to clip them because as far as I know they've never been clipped, and generally I'm not in favor of clipping if the birds can stay safe.
Looks like a Severe Macaw.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011

anotherblownsave posted:

Oh my god what kind of bird is this?

Kenshin posted:

Looks like a Severe Macaw.

Yep. It's a Severe Macaw. They've hand-fed it since birth and he'll wave you over with his feet then roll over on his back like a puppy and play-fight with you. :3:

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Tendai posted:

Looks like one of the "mini macaws" to me :3:

Yeah it is something in the macaw family, look at the face markings.

Macaws are very pretty birds but my god are they terrifying. Those of you that own big birds, is it like dogs where bigger ones bite less and less hard unless they are proper trying to kill something?

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Severe, Yellow-Collared and Hahn's macaws have always been seriously tempting for me in terms of a future larger-than-cockatiel parrot :3: All the macaw attitude in a somewhat more compact body.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

It's a macaw with GCC colors :kimchi:

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I wish there were that kind of parrot store around here in DC.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
If i win lotto the first thing I'm doing is buying a macaw and retiring and spending all day with my giant bird.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Gotya has got me so sold on cockatiels, of course that would mean buying a farm as to not annoy my neighbours though.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

GoldStandardConure posted:

If i win lotto the first thing I'm doing is buying a macaw and retiring and spending all day with my giant bird.

For me it'd be a gigantic penthouse condo in one of the new buildings that'll overlook the marina that I could convert like, two-thirds of into an aviary.

And I could harness-train birds and take them down to the boat and go out on the water with them~ I'd be the mad bird king of the Capitol Waterfront.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

GoldStandardConure posted:

Me too. Me, Judah, the cat, and a hyacinth macaw all in a really pretty place that's warm enough for an outdoor aviary

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

Trebuchet King posted:

I wish there were that kind of parrot store around here in DC.

There's one out in Chantilly that we used to go to a lot when we lived there! DJ Feathers Aviary. They have a ton of toys and stuff

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Toast has recently discovered HER SHADOW. It is a very dangerous enemy who usually lurks near the wall on top of her cage. She has tried squeaking and puffing up to scare it away, as well as lunging. It seems immune to even her best bite attacks! She has taken to trying to alert me to its presence (flying back and forth between me and THE SHADOW and squeaking insistently) but my presence just seems to make it bigger and more threatening!

She's also figured out how to detach the bell from one of her bell toys so if I'm taking too long to wake up in the morning, she doesn't even have to stay in the one place jingling the wake-up bell - she can take it with her while she eats seed or pellets, has a drink, and demolishes the chewing box I made for her :v:

(The chewing box is very popular, it's made of 1/4 of a torn-up cereal box filled with the rest of the cereal box, more cereal boxes, tissues, remains of tissue boxes, ALDI catalogues, paper cranes, and other miscellaneous bits of cardboard and paper.)

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Macaws are very pretty birds but my god are they terrifying. Those of you that own big birds, is it like dogs where bigger ones bite less and less hard unless they are proper trying to kill something?

Teeka doesn't bite me because I know how to handle him, not because he's confident as a big bird or whatever. I can read his body language and know how to pick him up and how he moves around and that doing certain specific behaviors (usually involving fingats near beek) will almost always result in a chomp. He does nip instead of biting on occasion, but I find that is something of a rarity.

I don't really have experience with conures so maybe they're more bitey, but I get the impression that biteyness is independent of bird size.

i poop fire posted:

What a handsome young lad! I would have been hard pressed not to walk out with him either. He looks pretty young, I bet he's gonna be super regal when he gets older.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Dang, that place looks cool, but there's like no way I could get out there without planning my day around it.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Eejit posted:

I don't really have experience with conures so maybe they're more bitey, but I get the impression that biteyness is independent of bird size.

Lovebirds are smaller than cockatiels and are well known for being horrifying bite monsters :catstare:

Toast is bitier than Bitey (who was actually not very Bitey) which is part of my suspicion for why she's a girl birb. (In my experience girl lovebirbs are bitier than boys, much like rats.)

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Yeah it is something in the macaw family, look at the face markings.

LOL no, they bite harder, much much harder, how often is just training like any bird. A big difference is how they bite, Grey's and Amazons (love birds fall in this as well, just not as bad) with their smaller sharper beaks will ripe flesh while a macaw will just chomp down and give you a massive bruise (with beak punctures). But what it comes down to is training, and understanding what the bird is trying to say, but you will get hit, then its just a matter of not reacting at all.

Bonny has only gotten me once. I wanted to see what she was trying to tell me (her last owner played rough and "teased" her in a playful way and I was not sure if she was trying to play or not).

Edit:

Bonus photo of my other two and Bonny, that toy in Bonny's cage was 1 hour old.

1500 fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Nov 8, 2015

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
That steering wheel controller would be a good toy for a bird. I think every parrot in this thread would agree.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Me IRL.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

gaston put his wings out to scare the cats and i tried to touch his wing and he gave me the look that says "what the gently caress are you doing"

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

But did you manage to touch it?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
rip Dreggon's hand :(

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is there some kind of bird thread medal of honor because Dreggon deserves it for risking his fingats :allears:

BUT NOT UNTIL HE TAKES MORE PICTURES.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Tendai posted:

Is there some kind of bird thread medal of honor because Dreggon deserves it for risking his fingats :allears:

BUT NOT UNTIL HE TAKES MORE PICTURES.

Purple Heart?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Purple bruises