Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
I would assume working for the ABC Corps has the best job security, at the very least. Those Wings seem the least likely ones to snap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

Theantero posted:

I would assume working for the ABC Corps has the best job security, at the very least. Those Wings seem the least likely ones to snap.

I mean, it's the Head. You can any higher than them tbh

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Goatse James Bond posted:

I do wonder if any or all of districts (or Wings) A-B-C suck less.

Being a Wing employee isn't too bad as long as you can hack it and aren't caught in an upheaval or a video game plotline. One of the biggest problems for K Corp folks is mundanity, which is a pretty good thing to have to worry about in the City.

Unless they decide you're a good candidate for a snuff film.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

I do wonder if any or all of districts (or Wings) A-B-C suck less.

Being a Wing employee isn't too bad as long as you can hack it and aren't caught in an upheaval or a video game plotline. One of the biggest problems for K Corp folks is mundanity, which is a pretty good thing to have to worry about in the City.

afaik living in a Wing is great until it(usually fatally) isn't

that's about the best the City will let a normie have

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DS8Lf4sq4s

Esgoo on the Ring IDs.

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft9kwRtDOgw
A 27 turn RR3 clear. Full of the "reroll your mind out" strats like a leading LCCB ishmael S3, winning all your clashes at minimal sanity, the sinners very resistant to a skills damage being targeted, but I think two highlights are a 1 turn clam kill, and Sanguine Desire turning an old "infinite clashing" tech useful to bleed gaze to death.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

RandomReader posted:

A 27 turn RR3 clear. Full of the "reroll your mind out" strats like a leading LCCB ishmael S3, winning all your clashes at minimal sanity, the sinners very resistant to a skills damage being targeted, but I think two highlights are a 1 turn clam kill, and Sanguine Desire turning an old "infinite clashing" tech useful to bleed gaze to death.

Have I overlooked some effect that guarantees that you roll heads? Even at 45SP the probability of that 91 string happening was lower than 1%.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Aumanor posted:

Have I overlooked some effect that guarantees that you roll heads? Even at 45SP the probability of that 91 string happening was lower than 1%.

i'm pretty sure sin resonance chains slightly boost coin odds? or maybe that was only offense level

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Aumanor posted:

the effect is this part:

RandomReader posted:

Full of the "reroll your mind out" strats

basically, reset until everything goes right. that clear is essentially a jank TAS, with enough redos everything will work out eventually if you've got the right strats to take advantage of always-optimal rolls. pretty neat.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 19, 2024

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

RandomReader posted:

I would probably rather watch paint dry for 24 hours than attempt this, but all the more power to that person and their mental fortitude.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

The Thumb controlled areas probably seem the safest of the four syndicates we know anything about.

They have actual rules and as long as you respect the hierarchy you're probably fine.

The middle will kill your entire family because someone you know spilled ice cream on them.

The Index will have someone else kill you because a magic telegram machine told them to.

The Ring will kill you for the sake of art.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
Yeah imo part of the horror of The Thumb is that when they say they're the most civilized of the Fingers, they are probably entirely correct. The Mafia With More Amputations is still the least brutal and monstrous of the leading criminal syndicates of the setting.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
And the Pinky will kill you because it's a promise, naturally.

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

PlasticAutomaton posted:

The Index will have someone else kill you because a magic telegram machine told them to.

Just kill them first

StuffyEvil
Nov 8, 2022

Poison sandwich tea party starts now
(art from @luingear on Twitter)
The Night Awl did got shafted in LoR as their entire organisation got put on the purge list due to their boss loving up, though admittedly that's more due to their boss being an idiot (which they also acknowledge) and not maneuvering through the Thumb mannerism smartly (like how the Kurokumo Clan Patriach did).

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Theantero posted:

And the Pinky will kill you because it's a promise, naturally.

:eyepop:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

StuffyEvil posted:

The Night Awl did got shafted in LoR as their entire organisation got put on the purge list due to their boss loving up, though admittedly that's more due to their boss being an idiot (which they also acknowledge) and not maneuvering through the Thumb mannerism smartly (like how the Kurokumo Clan Patriach did).

the Thumb head honcho must be the most insecure person to ever live considering what they set up

suck up to me 24/7 or die, i'm Very Important

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
The Index are less killy - only a small portion of the prescripts we see are about murder - but there's essentially no way to appease them, unlike the other three. If Mrs Davis decides you need to be fed into a wood chipper to do whatever it is the inscrutable agenda wants to do, that's that. You can survive the Thumb by knowing all the rules and following them perfectly, the Middle by being very very careful, or even the Ring by being really good at a form of art that is in vogue.

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022
I was going to say that be better or worse than the others but it really is just differently worse.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
Isn't it sort of funny that the faction with the least overall ratio of horrible monsters are the Associations, which feel like the closest thing to a union that could exist in The City?

KobunFan
Aug 13, 2022

Probe 17 posted:

Isn't it sort of funny that the faction with the least overall ratio of horrible monsters are the Associations, which feel like the closest thing to a union that could exist in The City?

I'm totally certain they have just as many monsters.

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

pls say hi and heckle me

The Index are less killy - only a small portion of the prescripts we see are about murder - but there's essentially no way to appease them, unlike the other three. If Mrs Davis decides you need to be fed into a wood chipper to do whatever it is the inscrutable agenda wants to do, that's that. You can survive the Thumb by knowing all the rules and following them perfectly, the Middle by being very very careful, or even the Ring by being really good at a form of art that is in vogue.

I mean, you can always fail the Prescript, which mean you can always put Mrs Davis in the wood chipper if you catch up to her plan.

KobunFan posted:

I'm totally certain they have just as many monsters.

Thelma was one but considering Fixers need client, Association probably need to conserve an excellent image because otherwise they would lose money, so being needlessly cruel would be punished in the long term.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

The Thumb's zero-tolerance policy means you're inevitably going to be bisected for accidentally stepping on someone's shadow at some point. The Middle have a similar deal; your life lasts right up until you take too long at the drinking fountain and someone writes your name in the book of grudges. I think both are more about a way to justify killing people that annoy them than anything. The Ring's "art" is a similar thing with the added hilariously mean twist that the "grading" seems to depend entirely on the grader's mood.

The index yeah it's just fuckin wheel of fortune except every space but one reads "stay alive" and the bankrupt space is "stabbed 31 times by your neighbor". It might take a while to land on it but it's gonna happen eventually.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Yinlock posted:

I think both are more about a way to justify killing people that annoy them than anything. The Ring's "art" is a similar thing with the added hilariously mean twist that the "grading" seems to depend entirely on the grader's mood.

Ring Sang's window dialogue does include him getting pissy about having to complement docent's work even when he doesn't care for it, so I imagine there's a level of politic there as well. The Index is supposedly the only one that doesn't take money for protection, so it's possible if your artwork is a big stack of cash that you'll end up with a better grade.

StuffyEvil
Nov 8, 2022

Poison sandwich tea party starts now
(art from @luingear on Twitter)
Yeah the Index doesn't actually take money for protection fee, but instead requires you to be eligible for the Prescripts, which is it's own can of worms to deal with.

And considering the nature that the Prescripts are produced, you probably do need to deal with some poo poo at some point.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Playing LobCorp, doing the Yesod Core Suppression. Everything going pretty well, I’ve more or less memorized who can do what even with everything blurry as hell. On the fifth meltdown, I see that the Noon Ordeal will pop up once I hit six, but that’s also the end of the core suppression so it shouldn’t matter, right? Wrong. It’s Violet Noon and since most of my units were in the main rooms they got splattered in the two seconds between hitting the meltdown and ending the mission and I ended the day with 49% of my agents dead

Thaaaaat’s LobCorp!

Kit Walker fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 20, 2024

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

:allears:

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Probe 17 posted:

Yeah imo part of the horror of The Thumb is that when they say they're the most civilized of the Fingers, they are probably entirely correct. The Mafia With More Amputations is still the least brutal and monstrous of the leading criminal syndicates of the setting.
I feel like the problem with actually living under Thumb protection is it's probably fairly expensive, although if you live in an area firmly under their control it might be easier. We know when L Corp fell people that tried to stay in the Nest by paying for protection ran out of money, but if you paid them to get you safe passage through the nest to somewhere else that sounds like the most viable way to do it (the problem being it takes time to try to move to a new Nest and you won't be accustomed to the Backstreets). But that was an area in active dispute and I'm pretty sure the Thumb was also milking people for all they were worth given the relative wealth of a Nest.

The advantage would be that the Thumb follows their own rules, so if you know those rules they're predictable. The disadvantage is you can end up predictably hosed with no real way out of it.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 20, 2024

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Also, let's not forget that the Thumb does also do collective punishment. Doesn't matter if you follow the rules to the letter, if your boss or the boss of your boss breaks a rule 'important' enough then you and the whole organization you're in might get purged.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Actually it occurs to me that I might be almost completely wrong about the Index: the syndicate members don't actually go out and fulfill failed prescripts in LoR, do they? If Yan tells a woman to go remove exactly one of your shoes, cut off your feet, and leave them on the northwesternmost table in the nearest cafeteria, and she fails to do that, he won't be showing up to defeet you?

Between that and the Prescript entity being possibly a demigod of the City, 1) maybe the Index turf is safer (albeit still random, you can catch an impossible prescript or get targeted by someone above your pay grade) 2) it really encourages being a paranoid psycho even by syndicate area standards because you need to be ready to kill your neighbor when they come after you. Not for practical reasons, but because they need to bake two fingers on your left hand into a pie and deliver it to Cut Me Own Throat Dibbler's meat stand while still warm.

what I'm saying is the Index might be especially close to the Head's heart because they encourage City-like behavior

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 21, 2024

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
If you don't follow the prescripts the proxies et al won't go out and do them for you or to you, no. But they might receive a prescript to punish you for your failure, or they might not.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

The Index does not really obsess over the Prescripts being completed, no, they merely obsess over following them. Like, even the Proxies don't personally go and hunt you for failing to follow yours, it's just that they tend to get Prescripts of their own to hunt down whoever fails theirs.

I mean after all, if a particular Prescript does not get fulfilled, that too must be the Will of the Prescript because all our actions and deeds and successes and failures are contained within them.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Theantero posted:

The Index does not really obsess over the Prescripts being completed, no, they merely obsess over following them. Like, even the Proxies don't personally go and hunt you for failing to follow yours, it's just that they tend to get Prescripts of their own to hunt down whoever fails theirs.

I mean after all, if a particular Prescript does not get fulfilled, that too must be the Will of the Prescript because all our actions and deeds and successes and failures are contained within them.
There's even a guy who gets screwed over for going to great lengths to follow a Prescript difficult for him but interpreting a vague Prescript 'incorrectly' - he's an artist and it tells him to kill his art or something so he systemically destroys all his completed works, but what he was supposed to do was paint someone and then kill the model, a thing that's much less intuitive than the thing he does.

But hey, as Yan points out, if you get a Prescript to give someone dangerously tainted food, you just have to make the food and hand it over, you won't be punished for warning them about it!

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Actually it occurs to me that I might be almost completely wrong about the Index: the syndicate members don't actually go out and fulfill failed prescripts in LoR, do they? If Yan tells a woman to go remove exactly one of your shoes, cut off your feet, and leave them on the northwesternmost table in the nearest cafeteria, and she fails to do that, he won't be showing up to defeet you?

Between that and the Prescript entity being possibly a demigod of the City, 1) maybe the Index turf is safer (albeit still random, you can catch an impossible prescript or get targeted by someone above your pay grade) 2) it really encourages being a paranoid psycho even by syndicate area standards because you need to be ready to kill your neighbor when they come after you. Not for practical reasons, but because they need to bake two fingers on your left hand into a pie and deliver it to Cut Me Own Throat Dibbler's meat stand while still warm.

what I'm saying is the Index might be especially close to the Head's heart because they encourage City-like behavior
But yeah, basically the Index is destined to always advance, but the safety of people in the Index is far less certain, since even a loyal member is just a cog in the machine. You might get fantastically rewarded or you might not, but it has very little to do with you. Very much like a tiny model of the City.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain

Theantero posted:

Also, let's not forget that the Thumb does also do collective punishment. Doesn't matter if you follow the rules to the letter, if your boss or the boss of your boss breaks a rule 'important' enough then you and the whole organization you're in might get purged.

Obviously you were being disrespectful by choosing to follow that direspectful dumbass in the first place. Pretty impolite of you, if you think about it :v:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

It's kinda muddy how much the prescripts actually "know". Like yeah enforcers sometimes get prescripts to punish people who failed to complete theirs, but the prescripts can potentially also arbitrarily say they failed and no enforcer is going to question that.

I think the Index's prosperity is mostly due to having a bunch of powerful psychos throw their weight around rather than the inscrutable will of the prescripts. But I guess it doesn't matter if it has real power or not but that the Index believes it does and makes that everyone else's problem.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 21, 2024

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Absurdist E.G.O. Yan armed with the realization that since everything is accounted for within the Prescript, he's entirely free to do whatever the hell he wants because that too is the Will of the Prescript. Including but not limited to destroying the looms.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
I mean, I'd argue the Prescripts aren't entirely psychosomatic in nature. The Index members we followed in Ruina ultimately followed their assigned prescripts loyally and by the end they'd sustained barely any losses and gained the undying servitude of a Distortion considered on the same tier as The Purple Tear, one of the most powerful EGOists we've ever seen, and R Corp's mercs when they stop loving around.

It COULD all be a placebo effect, to be sure, but there is a suggestion the prescripts aren't just total nonsense.

EDIT: Hell, I'd argue it adds another layer to the misery. Prescripts are decided by a random loving seismograph and they're still capable of predicting the future.

Probe 17 fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 21, 2024

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Just realized exactly what the Prescripts remind me of. The Booth At The End. Very good low budget show. A man in a diner gives people a task. If they fulfill them and report back to him with progress, they get the wish they made when they first made the deal. Only two seasons sadly.

The knock on effects of people working on their task, or ultimately refusing to, are exactly how the Prescript machine allegedly works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Probe 17 posted:

I mean, I'd argue the Prescripts aren't entirely psychosomatic in nature. The Index members we followed in Ruina ultimately followed their assigned prescripts loyally and by the end they'd sustained barely any losses and gained the undying servitude of a Distortion considered on the same tier as The Purple Tear, one of the most powerful EGOists we've ever seen, and R Corp's mercs when they stop loving around.

It COULD all be a placebo effect, to be sure, but there is a suggestion the prescripts aren't just total nonsense.

EDIT: Hell, I'd argue it adds another layer to the misery. Prescripts are decided by a random loving seismograph and they're still capable of predicting the future.

Could be a monkey typewriter type deal where there's so many complete nonsense commands that some have to work out. I dunno, like I said it's muddy how much is real and how much is bullshit. I feel like the Index would be much more dominant if things always worked out for them though so I think it's at least somewhat BS.