Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

MaoistBanker posted:

Oh, he'll be better than a 4th liner on Vancouver - he was the top line center with Pearson and Toffoli in Manchester. I just meant that was his place on the Kings with their center depth. I'm a big fan of Vey.

I haven't seen much of him other than that time he dangled through our entire team, but he's a playmaking winger and we desperately needed one. I would've like McKeown or a skilled forward like Donato, but I can live with Vey.

Verviticus seems to want to kill himself though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Verviticus posted:

well he just traded a real asset for a 4th liner named after trevor linden

this org. is a cartoon

This is hfboards quality posting right here, where a mid 2nd round pick is a real asset and a 22 year old NHL-ready forward who was close to PPG in the AHL is just a 4th liner

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
the goalie the rangers just picked only played 19 games this year lmao

apparently he's a great puckhandler and as such is the Antiqvist

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

ThinkTank posted:

I haven't seen much of him other than that time he dangled through our entire team, but he's a playmaking winger and we desperately needed one. I would've like McKeown or a skilled forward like Donato, but I can live with Vey.

Verviticus seems to want to kill himself though.

its just slow bleeding. they cant make a good decision to save their loving lives

i mean one second round pick isnt a big deal, except they got that 2nd because they forced a good player to leave town. and they paid a poo poo pick for the honour. and they drafted a goalie with the previous pick, and the pick before etc

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
To clarify: Vey isn't a 4th line center. He's projected to be a great 3C or even good 2C. The problem was that the Kings aren't going to be able to put him in this position to get meaningful playing time (IE, the Brayden Schenn conundrum) for several years so they traded him.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
2nd round by country:

USA: 11
Canada: 8

:911:

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

MaoistBanker posted:

To clarify: Vey isn't a 4th line center. He's projected to be a great 3C or even good 2C. The problem was that the Kings aren't going to be able to put him in this position to get meaningful playing time (IE, the Brayden Schenn conundrum) for several years so they traded him.

guess we'll see! shouldnt be loving hard to beat out nick bonino

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
gently caress taking a goalie in the 2nd round goddamn

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

put it this way. last week if you said "hey, the best thing the canucks will do is draft jake virtanen at 6 OA, and dont worry, they'll make at least three trades", i wouldnt have believed that was possible.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Levitate posted:

end of the 2nd round is a crapshoot anyway, there wasn't anything else exceptional on the board. i liked the finnish goalies better than the one we picked though.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Levitate posted:

elite athleticism and puckhandling. congrats on the next brodeur

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I'm excited that the Jackets took a guy in the first whose name sounds like that of a Made Man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW3LikcBL68

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

I like the NHL draft because of the intangibles - if past history is to be believed chances are good that 2 or 3 future all-stars are still sitting in their seats.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

MaoistBanker posted:

I like the NHL draft because of the intangibles - if past history is to be believed chances are good that 2 or 3 future all-stars are still sitting in their seats.

yup.

(detroit will get all of them)

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I think that Roland McKeown will develop well on the Kings, or they will at least be able to hide him effectively. Of course he is nevertheless a Frontenac and thus doomed to failure.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I consider myself a fairly pessimistic Canucks fan, but I'd like to officially distance myself from Verviticus' comments. We're rebuilding, no one should expect this team to make the playoffs in the next few seasons. I don't like much of what Benning has done so far, but he has finally committed this team to a rebuild.

Taking risks on high skilled forwards and hoping they can translate to the NHL is a decent idea. A late 2nd round pick has maybe a 40% chance of even playing a single game in the NHL, Vey has proven to be a capable AHLer he was just lost in the shuffle in LA. He's played in the NHL and will do so again this year in Vancouver. That's probably good value. People really overvalue draft picks. This isn't the NBA where you're selecting players to step into your lineup.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
pretty surprising that brayden point is still on the board, no? he was projected as a first rounder for most of this year

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

ThinkTank posted:

Vey has proven to be a capable AHLer he was just lost in the shuffle in LA. He's played in the NHL and will do so again this year in Vancouver.

Let's just say this, I'd be much more confident at having former King Linden Vey in my lineup than former King Brad Richardson.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Verviticus posted:

jason garrison got run out of town for trevor linden's long lost son

and we paid a 7th for the honour of doing so

linden vey is probably the second or third best prospect on the canucks as of now. he's better than nick jensen in literally every way

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

What the gently caress we took a Russian defenceman.

A 20 year old 6'6" 240lb russian defenceman with no offence. Okay I loving hate this pick. Stop doing this it never loving works.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

hahaha and just as we're talking, they draft an almost 20 year old 6'6 defenceman

i rest my loving case

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Hey the Wings got a pick from Columbus and drafted a guy named Turgeon, yaaaaaay!

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
So how many sons of NHLers does that make?

Nylander
Kapanen
Lemiuex
Macinnis
Turgeon

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Oh hell ya we got Barbashev at 33. And another Russian with our 2nd 2nd roudner :getin:

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
i just looked at brayden point's numbers and im pretty sure he scored way more than anyone else still available. even if there's something legitimate in his game that has him falling this far he's a good choice at this stage. fall to the rangers or isles please

is there a decent draft tracker online anywhere that's actually live because it takes forever for them to get around to the picks on tv and it's really stupid that they dont have a thing on the side of the screen or something

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

Thatcher Demko's favorite goalie is Dan Cloutier OH MY GOD THIS IS NOT GOING TO GO WELL SORRY CAS I TAKE BACK WHAT I SAID

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Verviticus posted:

hahaha and just as we're talking, they draft an almost 20 year old 6'6 defenceman

i rest my loving case

I cannot defend that. I have no loving idea. Brayden Point was on the board.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Benning went on record as saying that the canucks qre not trying to rebuild but instead are trying to get NHL ready assets to allow them to be competitive. I don't hate the trade for linden vey but trying to have it both ways and get youthful high upside players who can help you compete in the playoffs at the same time is not really a feasible thing and trying to ride the fence like that has probably doomed more teams in all the major sports than any other kind of mistake

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aye Doc posted:

Benning went on record as saying that the canucks qre not trying to rebuild but instead are trying to get NHL ready assets to allow them to be competitive.

This is lip service and nothing more. Tickets aren't selling.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

its an insanely hard line to tread between having all the kids, doing badly to get a good player, and then having all the kids simultaneously turn into players, and its a lot better to do it with picks because you have way more wiggle room with elcs and waivers and stuff

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

ThinkTank posted:

What the gently caress we took a Russian defenceman.

A 20 year old 6'6" 240lb russian defenceman with no offence. Okay I loving hate this pick. Stop doing this it never loving works.

the canucks have had pretty good success with off the board euros. this is a lot better than insert_OHL_overager

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

This is lip service and nothing more. Tickets aren't selling.

hahah just wait until he signs ryan miller and dave bolland

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

If it were just lip service I think the Canucks wouldn't be targeting Ryan Miller and Dave Bolland while acquiring every second and third line forward they can find

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
please don't pick point jersey

CDX
Dec 3, 2004

Cheap, but not as cheap as your girlfriend.

Mr. Kite posted:

2nd round by country:

USA: 11
Canada: 8

:911:

Best at being second!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

the talent deficit posted:

the canucks have had pretty good success with off the board euros. this is a lot better than insert_OHL_overager

Brayden Point had nearly twice as many point as the second highest scoring player on his team. He is still falling because he's 5'9". Big Russian man will never step onto an NHL ice surface.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

obviously i act the role of being outraged at every single thing when really its more of a slow burn, but i really think benning is an idiot and its depressing that hes going to drag linden through the muck until everyone hates them both

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

ThinkTank posted:

Brayden Point had nearly twice as many point as the second highest scoring player on his team. He is still falling because he's 5'9". Big Russian man will never step onto an NHL ice surface.

prospect camps are held on nhl ice surfaces!

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

Hey, wanna know what youngsters think of playing in Vancouver? (As if yesterday didn't make it obvious enough)

“Hopefully I can appeal to fans up there, make them love me instead of hate me.” -- Thatcher Demko

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

MaoistBanker posted:

Hey, wanna know what youngsters think of playing in Vancouver? (As if yesterday didn't make it obvious enough)

“Hopefully I can appeal to fans up there, make them love me instead of hate me.” -- Thatcher Demko

Well at least it's better than "I never thought I’d be a Vancouver Canuck and it is what it is." oh boy

Also lol http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=123119

• Locked thread