Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
Had a game where we couldn't touch the enemy team due to terrible internet connection but the enemy was racking up points. We were already set to lose, but in the last minute the game force ejects me from the match and penalized me because I was stuck on a black screen after redeploying.

Few games know how to rub it in like GBO2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Iserlohn posted:

Had a game where we couldn't touch the enemy team due to terrible internet connection but the enemy was racking up points. We were already set to lose, but in the last minute the game force ejects me from the match and penalized me because I was stuck on a black screen after redeploying.

Few games know how to rub it in like GBO2.

For a company that makes a living on fan service, its genuinely kinda crazy how out of touch bamco is with their playerbase/modern gaming trends

It's especially frustrating because GBO, much like the newer gundam evolution, is a game with a shitload of potential that is constantly hamstrung by its incredibly wealthy producer's desire to spend as little as possible on it

free hubcaps fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 13, 2023

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Like I've said before a lot of the game's issues are due to it originally not being intended to be played by anyone besides a small niche Japanese audience and they never bothered trying to fix any of those problems as it developed an international audience and gradually got released in more regions

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The problems with GBO2's netcode and matchmaking are almost definitely baked into the basic bones of the game's foundation and are probably unfixable short of a theoretical GBO3.

Phantombane
Sep 29, 2021
Got a "failed to communicate with other players" error at the end of a match after rewards were given out and everything, and got dropped straight from good rating to penalty 1 despite only having 1 other disconnect on record well over 100 hours of playtime ago.

I think I might be done with the game after this.

The actual gameplay in matches, the variety of suits, and the suit customization are all good to great and pretty unique. However, everything else outside of that is insultingly bad, and getting punished this harshly for the game making GBS threads itself of it's own accord is frankly ridiculous.

I might reevaluate after the sortie restriction penalty is removed, but the fact I'll have do something like 45 ranked space matches in a row to get back to good rating and to not tank my ground ranking is not exactly enticing me to return.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
jealously hoarding rating points instead of just ignoring them and letting them bounce around on their own as your play improves and/or worsens is the #1 cause of brainworms in any game with a ranking system. just play ground matches and stop caring about the points

but yeah the penalty system is pretty stupid
fwiw you also do lose invisible points for doing stuff like leaving full matchmaking lobbies (although less than disconnecting from a match) so if you've been doing some of that it's been getting you secretly closer to the penalty box with 0 feedback.
if it's not that then i have no idea what caused this. their penalty system is inscrutable but normally a single dc won't do that poo poo.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 13, 2023

Phantombane
Sep 29, 2021

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

jealously hoarding rating points instead of just ignoring them and letting them bounce around on their own as your play improves and/or worsens is the #1 cause of brainworms in any game with a ranking system. just play ground matches and stop caring about the points

but yeah the penalty system is pretty stupid
fwiw you also do lose invisible points for doing stuff like leaving full matchmaking lobbies (although less than disconnecting from a match) so if you've been doing some of that it's been getting you secretly closer to the penalty box with 0 feedback.
if it's not that then i have no idea what caused this. their penalty system is inscrutable but normally a single dc won't do that poo poo.

Trust me, if it wasn't for the fact promotion missions required certain ranked ratings I wouldn't even remotely care about ranking and probably never would have even touched ranked mode at all. Instead I was close to the promotion that requires B rank, and I feel like tanking my ground rating all the way down to C- or D or whatever while working off the penalty will do just as much to nuke my enthusiasm as the penalty to begin with. That alongside not getting any crates, DP, or EXP of course.

I haven't been leaving lobbies, and am aware of the other invisible stuff that builds towards penalty and have been avoiding doing them. My best guess is I didn't play enough ranked games after my single previous disconnect after I climbed back from caution to good, despite playing something like 20+ ranked matches after hitting good again.

I just don't understand why this stupid disconnect penalty is so draconian. Apparently the console version had rampant leavers, but I've got news for bamco, there are far larger and more popular games that have had worse problems with quitters and have alleviated it with penalties several orders of magnitude less harsh than this. Those games are also generally more stable both netcode and regular code wise, not to mention having things like a reconnect function should you temporarily get d/ced.

I would legitimately rather deal with rampant quitters/leavers than this penalty system.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Protip: You can work off your penalty in any rated game, so if you're concerned about trying to raise your ground rank, just play space rated to work off your penalty so you won't care if it tanks to bad games.

Also something is fucky with the PC penalty system where it will frequently catapult you from good to penalty 1 without touching caution for some reason.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
That's what phantombane said they were gonna do but space sucks (or at least the only two maps that they use for 90% of space matches suck) and there's really no reason to torture yourself like that

Phantombane
Sep 29, 2021

Kanos posted:

Protip: You can work off your penalty in any rated game, so if you're concerned about trying to raise your ground rank, just play space rated to work off your penalty so you won't care if it tanks to bad games.

Also something is fucky with the PC penalty system where it will frequently catapult you from good to penalty 1 without touching caution for some reason.

I am aware of that and it's what I'd do if I bother to work it off, but space matches are awful and actively sap my will to play. They control terribly, the majority of suits I like are either at a disadvantage in space or outright unavailable, and the overwhelming majority of the maps manage to be worse than even some of the already dreadful ground maps. And all of this would still have to be done with the specter of the penalty system looming over me like the sword of Damocles, waiting to undo all my effort or even send me to penalty level 2. My internet connection is pretty stable and I've only disconnected a grand total of twice in almost 250 hours on the game, so it's pretty unlikely that will happen. However the possibility of it happening, while also being functionally forced to play in a mode I do not even remotely like, is anxiety inducing and that's just not worth dealing with for a video game.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

This, honestly. Overall, you generally get more points on a win than a loss until you start hitting the high A+s/S- ratings so naturally over time your rating is going to rise if you're a halfway decent player. And I say this as someone who generally doesn't enjoy playing Rated Matches and avoids them whenever possible.

Hint: You should not expect to increase your rating when playing Rated Matches during an event where playing Rated Matches is a requirement for some rewards. You will get the worst players because everyone will be playing Rated Matches and a fair number of shitters who do not care about their Rating - just fulfilling the reward requirement - are among them.

Hint 2: Don't play Ace Rated. Just don't. Ace Matches tend to crystallize the worst and best of the playerbase, and odds are that your team is going to be the pure distillation of the worst of the playerbase while the enemy team is going to happen into the best. Putting your rating on the line with random people where you can't really mitigate bad teamwork is asking to get pissed at the game.

Finally, at least on console, the weekend is generally a bad time to play Rated as well if you're looking to increase your rating. Lotta bad apples across the world are out and about at most hours of the day on weekends.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 21, 2023

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I honestly have roughly equal results with people being excessively stupid in normal matches and ace matches. Ace matches lead to people being absolutely brainless about the ace mechanic(stealing kills from the ace, not protecting the ace, etc) but prevents a lot of the excessively stupid things people do in normal matches(literally everything involving getting out of your mobile suit, especially bombing the enemy base in 90% of scenarios). One of my fondest wishes is them just adopting something similar to the Simple Battle format as standard because everything related to leaving your mobile suit beyond short spot repairs generally just sabotages your team horribly.

In sadder news, the PC playerbase has really started to slump. I imagine the extremely hot game season isn't helping, but I'm not sure how many people are coming back after BG3 and AC6.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

I wish I could remember to equip some of the chat options around ace mode but like said above, I never do that poo poo ranked. It hurts to leave an enemy with a sliver of health for the Ace to finish off and then some long-distance beam from a teammate just steals it lol.

had an absolute blowout of a ranked space match, easily would have knocked out two of my dailies in the first sortie of the day and then....failed to synchronize before we got to the results.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Step 3 of the new timed directive thing gives an ms mod that confers underwater compatibility, oceans are once again battlefields.

e: high score for aqua gp01 suits on a team is at 3/5 on the high tide map. new favorite map I think

slicing up eyeballs fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 24, 2023

Kevsop
Jul 20, 2011

Pork Pro
Clans are coming back on Steam.

All tokens are being removed from them, and moved to monthly missions.

40 coin compensation for downtime.

Monthly missions won't give coins till October.

:dumbbravo:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
They're basically just admitting that they can't stop people from hacking in infinite clan xp.
Seems like a fine compromise, put that drip feed of extra tokens somewhere else.

PC also got the nu and sazabi in the recycle ticket shop, although there should be a discounted rt-shop event in 2 weeks so you can pick them up for 490 tickets instead of 700.
Which brings up the question: will that discount last long enough for the psycho doga banner? I am like 80 tickets short.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 14, 2023

Kevsop
Jul 20, 2011

Pork Pro
Its just those coins are now backloaded a lot more, good luck on everyone's 150 rival wins.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Yeah oof.
If you win half of your rivalries that's an average of like 9-10 ranked games a day.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Well looks like there's now no actual point in joining a Clan now, yet another check mark on the extremely long list of reasons I'm glad I gave up on this game for good back in 2021

Kevsop
Jul 20, 2011

Pork Pro
There still going to be clan match for clan mechs, which I'm organizing a few people for. If you're broken like me and dedicated at the game enough to want to wake up early to fight for small variations on low level mobile suits, get in contact I guess.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I feel like AC6 release took a big bite out of the pc playerbase now. It's slow enough that party queue pretty much never gets a bite, but if I queue ranked at the same time as my buddy we'll end up in the same matchmaking room like 85% of the time just because there's few enough players in queue. Then there's a 50% chance we get to kill each other instead of being on the same team.
It's weird that solo and party are so segregated when a solo-queue room will sit at 8/12 for like 3 minutes without filling.

In other news I lucked out and got the Geara Doga Kai from the half-off 10 roll and wow I don't really have a clue how to use active guard well. It's still a ton of fun to play though just like its little brother. That heat rod is just so satisfying to use and then the melee blender damage is crazy if you can get a full triple-downswing combo.
What other 500+ MS have heat rod type weapons? I only know of the Night Seeker V.

drrockso20 posted:

Well looks like there's now no actual point in joining a Clan now, yet another check mark on the extremely long list of reasons I'm glad I gave up on this game for good back in 2021

if you're in an active clan you do still get a bunch of free DP from clan levelups even if the tokens were moved somewhere else.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Sep 19, 2023

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Depressingly enough, the player count is actually healthier than it has been for the past couple weeks. It picked up again a bit around the Nu FF banner. Finding team matches will generally depend on playing at ungodly hours so the Japanese playerbase is awake, though.

Kevsop
Jul 20, 2011

Pork Pro
The re-introduction of clans has made my part queue pop quite a bit faster during EST evening hours compared to before.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

In other news I lucked out and got the Geara Doga Kai from the half-off 10 roll and wow I don't really have a clue how to use active guard well. It's still a ton of fun to play though just like its little brother. That heat rod is just so satisfying to use and then the melee blender damage is crazy if you can get a full triple-downswing combo.
What other 500+ MS have heat rod type weapons? I only know of the Night Seeker V.

Base Geara Doga, obviously. Other suits include Spaceseeker (Nightseeker V Space-type, as opposed to the plain ol' Nightseeker V), L2 Marasai, Schuzrum Gallus, Hambrabi (although it's technically 600 cost), and L4 Gouf Custom (which does have levels that take it to 500).

I'm sure there are others, I just can't think of em' right now.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Hooray, they announced a change that basically kills my desire to play anymore!

They're removing group queues as an option from rated.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Yeah that's pretty lame. A few more months before it comes to PC at least.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
No more seal clubbing a bad change?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kanos posted:

Hooray, they announced a change that basically kills my desire to play anymore!

They're removing group queues as an option from rated.

It's not like it ever worked for me anyway lol

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Third World Reagan posted:

You have it backwards, seal clubbing is about to become the ONLY option.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
i have no desire to club seals i just want to play with my friend
and the playerbase is apparently too tiny to support more than 1 ground map at a time in qm so if you want any variety or choice at all you gotta head to ranked

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

i have no desire to club seals i just want to play with my friend
and the playerbase is apparently too tiny to support more than 1 ground map at a time in qm so if you want any variety or choice at all you gotta head to ranked

Yea the limited map/cost selection in both quick match and rated is really frustrating. Sometimes you just feel like playing a specific suit and you're SOL

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Third World Reagan posted:

Seal clubbing was impossible because GBO's group queues literally would not match you unless you were matched against a group of the exact same size. If you queued with a 3 person premade, it would simply never put you in a game unless there was a 3 person premade queue to oppose you. Unlike most other games, the matchmaking never opens up - if you queue with a 3 person premade and there's no opposing 3 person premades in your rank bracket queuing to put you against, you'll sit there forever until there is, it won't throw you a bone and put you against a 2 queue or a full pug.

It just means that your options for actually playing this team game with your friends are now shrunk to the one lovely map on rotation in quick match, or hoping people actually join a custom lobby(something that both takes a long loving time and is going to lead to a lot more seal clubbing because it's extremely unlikely you'll get a premade of your size to play against in a custom lobby).

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Group matching can go +/- 1. It's why 3 man groups were the best for actually getting matches.

Kevsop
Jul 20, 2011

Pork Pro
Furthermore if they wanted to protect the Sanctity of Rated Solo Queue, they would need to do things to make QM actually more fun, like group into solo players, or allow you to earn back penalty points in QM. None of these changes are even on the table, so if you play with a friend in QM to disconnect, you gotta go to rated to get out of caution or wind up in Gundam Jail.

Community response, even on JP twitter is somewhat confused. The data they showed didn't really indicate a huge dislike for grouping, just mildly more than other places. Furthermore, the only gamemode with stakes, Clan Matches, is also a group thing, so that makes it harder to practice for that.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I mean, I don't have an issue with getting rid of Group Rated. Coordination/Communication between groups is not universally the same, so it was eminently possible for your team to have a 3-stack of people who aren't on comms while their team has a 4-stack of people who are on comms. The end result is that, in the one mode where there are stakes, you get your rear end handed to you without much recourse.

You can be sarcastic all you like and call it the Sanctity of Solo Rated Queue, but as somebody who's only ever solo queued for Rated Matches I do prefer knowing that things are more or less equal between both teams in terms of communication - no one is at an advantage or disadvantage due to factors outside of the game, and I don't wind up with the Blue Jeans Trio on my team while the opposing team gets the Black Tri-Stars.

And yes, it does help kill clubbing to a greater extent in the game as anyone who's seen S- players carrying C or lower players in their group going up against A-/B rankers can attest to.

As for making QM more fun - like, it's the same mode but without rating on the line. If QM is no fun to you, then Rated is no fun. But if being able to group up means that a queue is more fun, then doesn't this amount to them making QM more fun because now it's the mode where you can group up with friends?

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 3, 2023

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i think they should throw their hands up on get to work on GBO 3 (and make movement actually fun)

Kevsop
Jul 20, 2011

Pork Pro
The problems with Quick Match are you still at the whims of the matchmaker and your rating, which you can't alter in this mode. You still have to wait for another team, which can take quite a while on PC, because it won't queue you into the now designated "fun mode with no stakes" without another team. And if the P2P connection arbitrarily forces you to disconnect from a game, you can't earn penalty points back in QM, meaning you have to quit your group and go into rated to undo the penalty before you lose the ability to do anything but actually queue into rated, but blocking rng gacha drops and taking a penalty to rating, which could knock you out of being able to play with your friends in the fun friend mode.

When you get in, there are less restrictions on suits but also a much more relaxed attitude. I'd be fine with people playing their favorite but perhaps worse suit if they play like they wanna win, but people just goof off leaving it not really a satisfying experience in the least. This happens in solo or groups. When I play with friends in rated I find the games harder, not a clubbing situation, because the enemy team is working together better than in solos.

If it was really just a problem with solos getting dropped into partial games due to group sorites, they could restrict it to full teams queueing in, but that is gone too.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

LuiCypher posted:

I mean, I don't have an issue with getting rid of Group Rated. Coordination/Communication between groups is not universally the same, so it was eminently possible for your team to have a 3-stack of people who aren't on comms while their team has a 4-stack of people who are on comms. The end result is that, in the one mode where there are stakes, you get your rear end handed to you without much recourse.

You can be sarcastic all you like and call it the Sanctity of Solo Rated Queue, but as somebody who's only ever solo queued for Rated Matches I do prefer knowing that things are more or less equal between both teams in terms of communication - no one is at an advantage or disadvantage due to factors outside of the game, and I don't wind up with the Blue Jeans Trio on my team while the opposing team gets the Black Tri-Stars.

And yes, it does help kill clubbing to a greater extent in the game as anyone who's seen S- players carrying C or lower players in their group going up against A-/B rankers can attest to.

As for making QM more fun - like, it's the same mode but without rating on the line. If QM is no fun to you, then Rated is no fun. But if being able to group up means that a queue is more fun, then doesn't this amount to them making QM more fun because now it's the mode where you can group up with friends?

The game rewards communication and cooperation, therefore we should remove the ability to play with people who might communicate and coordinate with each other! You can get hosed over just fine in solo ranked very easily by having the dingdong players who run off and refuse to play their roles while the enemy team is the ultra-coordinated elite royal guard all the time even with no premades involved.

I don't understand what you mean by S- players carrying C or lower players. You can't group matchmake in rated if your rating has more than like a 100 point gap, it will tell you that someone doesn't meet the requirements.

QM sucks because there's one ground map and cost on rotation at a time compared to three for rated, so if it's on a cost you don't feel like playing, gently caress you, wait two hours. Also if you get put on penalty from a disconnect you're locked out of playing it for however many now-solo-only rated games you need to grind out to fix it.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Nov 4, 2023

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Kanos posted:

The game rewards communication and cooperation, therefore we should remove the ability to play with people who might communicate and coordinate with each other!

I mean this actually makes sense. The more important communication is, the more of an advantage it is to be in in a voice call with your buddies. That is the reason they removed it, because they feel (that their players feel) that partying up gives an unfair advantage vs solo players.

On a related note: dang Woundwort is really fun... and that claw launcher is pretty overtuned. I was queueing QM with a friend while both playing it and we were constantly claw-bonking raids to help each other out. Since it counts as a 150m long melee weapon, it completely ignores MA and I think shields too, meaning Woundwort can bully the class it's supposed to be countered by.
We weren't in voice together though so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I mean this actually makes sense. The more important communication is, the more of an advantage it is to be in in a voice call with your buddies. That is the reason they removed it, because they feel (that their players feel) that partying up gives an unfair advantage vs solo players.

Again, theoretically every group queue is matched against an enemy group queue. Both teams have the magic coordination advantage. It's not putting 5 man premades into 5 random solo queue players. If the premade on your team is worse and less coordinated than the enemy premade and you lose because of it, it's completely the same poo poo as when you're solo queuing and your solo queue teammates are morons and the enemies are good.

I am not terribly surprised that the Japanese GBO playerbase responds in a hostile way to things that facilitate communication and cooperation in this game, given that the game used to have full text chat in lobbies that was removed because people could not stop relentlessly flaming each other over "suboptimal" unit choices and making GBS threads on each other in said text chat.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Nov 4, 2023