Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Aaaaa I love her so much :love:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
"What the gently caress are *you* looking at"

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Our girl Ivy is broody again while very nonplussed about being held in one hand

ChaseSP fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Oct 7, 2021

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

ChaseSP posted:

That's a murder chicken gaze if i ever saw one

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Her colouring is gorgeous even as she looks like she's plotting your death for when she feels like getting around to it

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

i'm delighted to announce that one of the three day-old quail chicks i got today is already distinguishing herself* as another Weird Little Brown Bird

*i live in hope

ChaseSP posted:

ivy is a dragon, and goldie is a baby dragon

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Joburg posted:

I think I will call her Goldie unless someone comes up with something more clever.

Goldie Steelgaze

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

hope and vaseline posted:

That's a murder chicken gaze if i ever saw one

Quote for truth

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

And yet she is probably the gentlest of all the hens we have. I've never seen her fighting and she just clucks if you pick her up with no real struggle.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

ChaseSP posted:

She’s attempting mind control so you will GIVE HER THE EGGS.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

in my imagination, phoenixes just look like regular chickens but with permanent broodface

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Dragons growl like broody hens

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

23 hours since the chicks arrived and...

there are four quail in this photo

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

:kimchi:

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Adorable!

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

That’s great!

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

this bird!

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Beautiful plumage!

What breed is the white one in the middle?

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

That's a good flock. Got names for them all?

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Joburg posted:

Beautiful plumage!

What breed is the white one in the middle?

spookygonk posted:

That's a good flock. Got names for them all?

That's Zizi, a delaware, in the middle. Silver the... well silver in front, with Golden and Goldie in back, inseparable as always

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

nice birds :) i love it when hens are bffs

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

today the chicks learnt all about dust

they also got to meet the other two members of the flock. (i still take them out of the cage for a walk every other day, but never leave them unattended.)

as far as currawong is concerned, moose is her mother, egret is her mother, i'm her mother, everybody's her mother

left to right: currawong, moose, egret, kestrel. wren and kiwi are there too, but they are concealed.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

when the ravens came in to look, moose and egret immediately scuttled the chicks into the shelter of the undergrowth, and kestrel heroically placed himself out on the lawn in full view as a decoy :qq: luckily, the ravens aren't quite confident enough yet to try to snatch them out from underneath me, and so everybody survived.

kestrel is a mighty rooster who knows all the tricks: catching bugs for hens, distracting the ravens, building a perfect grass cup. best $0 i ever spent

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Oh my!

The ground is still a bit too wet for dust bathing, so Molly had a box bath:

(Nova on the left and Bella right)

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Oct 10, 2021

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

https://twitter.com/SeiPika/status/1447091049298477057?s=20

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

:kimchi: !

spookygonk posted:

The ground is still a bit too wet for dust bathing, so Molly had a box bath:

(Nova on the left and Bella right)
you are so good to them!

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

the youngest raven got their head stuck and drowned in my neighbour's roof gutter :negative: i got the body down for her and buried it up in the quail graveyard while the raven family looked on, wailing

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

The back gate got left open without my knowing, and the dog got out the back. Down one chicken and another injured :(

Sorry about your raven, poor little thing.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I'm sorry for your birds. :( I hope the injured girl will be okay!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/shingworks/quail-party-a-beginners-guide-to-quails?ref=6ju2nr -- sharing this because, although it is fully backed, it is fully adorable (and informative) and maybe someone else here will be interested.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I know ducks love water, but they absolutely adore playing in the rain. They become much more adventuresome, maybe because raptors aren't out?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Nettle Soup posted:

The back gate got left open without my knowing, and the dog got out the back. Down one chicken and another injured :(

I feel you dude, hope your injured bird makes it.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

Nettle Soup posted:

good luck

Yooper posted:

I know ducks love water, but they absolutely adore playing in the rain. They become much more adventuresome, maybe because raptors aren't out?

they look so happy!

my chickens do not appreciate the cold wind this morning. they don't want to come out of their coop where the heat bulb is :(

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

why am I hearing Misirlou?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

the youngest raven got their head stuck and drowned in my neighbour's roof gutter :negative: i got the body down for her and buried it up in the quail graveyard while the raven family looked on, wailing

If there is a higher power in the universe attempting to watch over humans as we destroy ourselves, I can only hope it is as kind as you.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

i'm really looking forward to learning about dsh's experience with quail

Yooper posted:

look at those absolute strutters. they're so contoured

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Yooper posted:

Those are incredibly handsome ducks

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Thanks! They're a big part of the family now. We're stocking up for snow. Our big concern is having enough water, they drink a ridiculous amount during the day.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Sorry about your birds, Nettle Soup! Nice ducks, Yooper!

Anyone here have experience with Muscovy ducks? We have terrible flies and mosquitos and I’ve read that they eat a lot of those. My poor goats reeeeeally don’t like getting sprayed with bug spray* and I don’t like feeling like a monster :(

*yes they are spoiled fat whiny babies

The baby chicks are getting huge! I hope to get their teenage accommodations set up this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
we have muscovies and they do chase around flies and such sometimes, but I wouldn't get them expecting them to solve any fly problems. they also require more maintenance and effort than chickens.

I'd be glad to answer any specific questions as best I can though