Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

If the crate door is closed when not in use does she piss on the floor? Does she need to have access to the crate when you're home and supervising her?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

I am stuck. Posted a few pages back about my puppy, she is at 15 weeks and she will not potty outside.

Teaching her rules, tricks, etc in one-on-one or two-on-one situations within the confines of my condo has been a breeze, her recall is probably above average for her age and she just understood how to crate herself.

Inside the condo, she will go potty in the same spot each time. She seems to pick an area and that's now her toilet. She did the same thing at my girlfriend's place. Blocking said area will cause her to move her toilet indefinitely.

My girlfriend has an enclosed patio area with a bit of astroturf. It took about 30 minutes of sitting out there with her but she went pee when she thought I wasn't looking and never once has she peed inside my girlfriend. She even goes to the door when she needs to pee.

#2. Number 2 is a different story. She will not go outside. I know I just need her to do it once or twice and we're good. Took the advice in this thread as well as buying a 25ft leash/stake and just read for nearly 3 hours. We've tried this a few times. She hadn't gone for a while and I saw the little turtle head poking out, got her to the park. Nothing.

Of course, I'm not encouraging any of the inside potties, not using pads but using a Ruggable. She hasn't been scolded at all really and is very comfortable with both me and my gf.

Picking her up and taking her outside immediately for an extended period will result in her holding it in. Twice we made her upset enough about the situation to hold it in for 2 meals.

What do I do? Right now I'm just saying "Busy-busy!" when she goes in hopes that saying it outside will trigger her fecal matter.

edit: poops look healthy

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

96 spacejam posted:

and never once has she peed inside my girlfriend.

well thank god for that

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Sounds like she doesn't want to potty when you're watching. So look away and have someone else text you or whatever to turn around and praise

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

Sounds like she doesn't want to potty when you're watching. So look away and have someone else text you or whatever to turn around and praise

Should have mentioned that. When I brought her home at 12 wks she wouldn't even pee if she could make eye contact with me. She has gotten over it for peeing but she is still scared to poop and looks like she feels bad afterwards despite never once showing negative feelings. I've hidden around trees, bushes, electrical boxes, cars.. she just won't. I've even taken the 25ft staked leash in multipole areas where she was able to be out of my site (behind a bush/tree) if she wanted.

Nothing. Pooped within minutes of getting home though. Also, this bitch will jettison her 5inch logs in the time it takes for me to walk around the corner of a Queen bed I poo poo you not pun intended.

I've started to charge a clicker today so maybe that, and the "busy-busy" verbal trigger I've been trying to instill may help.

She has socialized quite a bit with 5 dogs from age 4 - 16yrs and she is great with them and the people in the house. The moment we go on a walk everything is terrifying and startling. I have to bend down to give her two or three easy rubs and let her know "it's okay" to get her moving if she fixates on a car, person or dog.

edIt: On clicker training. What pouch do you all use? I have a small one that is magnetic which is great to get to but she knows they're on me and it's gg

96 spacejam fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jan 31, 2023

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Yesterday marked a year since we brought Cosmo home!

For 95% of the day he's a knackered little lump who snoozes away, then the other 5% he's a rampant little hyena who screams his head off at any attempt to calm him down.

We're currently experimenting with keeping him out of his crate while we're working from home; we want to start giving him free roam of the house while we're out in the evenings rather than crating him and having to hire a dog sitter to check on him.

For the most part he's doing great, it's just that once he's up and about he finds something to chew that's invariably something apart from the dozens of toys and chews we leave lying around!

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Is there a way to be partially, or occasionally, allergic to dogs?

I’ve had a shiba for 2 years, and my partner has been around it the entire time. He used to sleep on my bed regularly in my small apartment and she never had any problems. I also tended to vacuum and dust way less when I lived alone.

About a year in my partner suddenly got super congested one night and was convinced it was the dog. We cleaned the apartment the next day and she said it helped. Despite not deep cleaning it like that again she didn’t have any problems.

Since we’ve moved in together, she has had intermittent “allergy attacks”, specifically in our bedroom, where she gets super congested. She is convinced it’s the dog.

Originally the dog would sometimes sleep on the bed, but I’ve since kept him off and now he usually sleeps under the bed for part of the night and leaves the room for part of the night.

These reactions seem to be random, not related to his heavy shedding cycles. I know she is suffering from it, but I think it is at least partially psychological because he will be under the bed for weeks, then one night she suddenly says she’s real congested, then it’s fine the next week. I’ve noticed sometimes the dog will come in early and she doesn’t wake up and is fine, then sometimes if she notices him coming in and laying down she instantly starts sniffling.

She has admitted that she has some neurosis about hair in general and will get paranoid about it getting behind her eye or get “hair splinters” like animal groomers sometimes get, but that has never happened.

There’s no real variation in cleaning either, we regularly vacuum that room, clean the sheets, and have a nice Dyson fan/air filter.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Is it happening, say, once a month or so? Not dog related but I get seemingly random congestion around when my period tracking app says I would be ovulating. Humans are real good at picking random things and making connections so it could really be anything.

Edit so I don't double post:
I had a trainer recommended by the rescue out to evaluate my foster dog today and she wants me to demonstrate appropriate pack hunting behavior for him before meals, including sniffing trees and pointing out where prey may be. She charged the rescue $300 to show me how to convincingly sniff a tree.

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Feb 1, 2023

cailleask
May 6, 2007

help I trained this creature to use buttons and now she uses my OWN VOICE to demand pets from me all day long

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Is it happening, say, once a month or so? Not dog related but I get seemingly random congestion around when my period tracking app says I would be ovulating. Humans are real good at picking random things and making connections so it could really be anything.

I’m not sure, I could probably track that, or ask my partner to, but she’s pretty convinced it’s the dog so I doubt she would appreciate that.

I do believe the hair, or dander or whatever, is a factor, but it just seems too inconsistent to be the only cause.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

The easiest thing to do would be to clean the room and then keep the dog out for a month or so and see if the congestion stops or keeps going. That's what I did when I suspected I had become allergic to my cats and it turned out pretty quickly that it was true. You aren't going to convince her it's anything else unless you can prove that the dog being out of the room doesn't help.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Edit so I don't double post:
I had a trainer recommended by the rescue out to evaluate my foster dog today and she wants me to demonstrate appropriate pack hunting behavior for him before meals, including sniffing trees and pointing out where prey may be. She charged the rescue $300 to show me how to convincingly sniff a tree.

you were trained to sniff a tree before feeding your dog?

:laugh:

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I’m not sure, I could probably track that, or ask my partner to, but she’s pretty convinced it’s the dog so I doubt she would appreciate that.

I do believe the hair, or dander or whatever, is a factor, but it just seems too inconsistent to be the only cause.

Maybe get an air purifier for the bedroom? It will help with dust/pollen/dander as well as possibly providing some psychological comfort for her

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

You'll be shocked to hear that the dog does not care about me sniffing trees or bushes and just looks at me like I've lost my mind. Putting away all the toys he obsesses over and keeping him leashed to me seems to be helping him though so at least there's that.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

You'll be shocked to hear that the dog does not care about me sniffing trees or bushes and just looks at me like I've lost my mind. Putting away all the toys he obsesses over and keeping him leashed to me seems to be helping him though so at least there's that.
why exactly are you meant to be simulating pack hunting behaviour? :psyduck: like it's a fun thing to do with a dog but i don't understand how it's meant to help with his particular set of problems.

also i am loving scout's herding journey, especially the bit where she just wants to play with the lambs :buddy:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

a strange fowl posted:

why exactly are you meant to be simulating pack hunting behaviour? :psyduck: like it's a fun thing to do with a dog but i don't understand how it's meant to help with his particular set of problems.

also i am loving scout's herding journey, especially the bit where she just wants to play with the lambs :buddy:

She said it's supposed to make him respect me as a leader and trust that I'm looking out for him. I'm just hoping she submits her evaluation to the rescue board soon so they can figure out a long term place for him to go that's able to meet his training needs.

At Scout's last lesson she kept stopping to give kisses to the lamb then got mad when the sheep she was working wandered off. Just wait a minute while I kiss the baby!!!

She's the best and sweetest dog :3:

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

She said it's supposed to make him respect me as a leader and trust that I'm looking out for him. I'm just hoping she submits her evaluation to the rescue board soon so they can figure out a long term place for him to go that's able to meet his training needs.
you're amazing for sticking with him. they're so smart and so nervy and they bond so deeply with their person, even well-adjusted heelers are a pain in the rear end, it takes a special person to work with the messed-up ones. i really hope you get good results. do you know anything about where he came from before he ended up on the adoption merry-go-round?

quote:

At Scout's last lesson she kept stopping to give kisses to the lamb then got mad when the sheep she was working wandered off. Just wait a minute while I kiss the baby!!!

She's the best and sweetest dog :3:

this absolute dog :qq: :swoon:

when orphan lamb season next rolls around, i am thinking very deeply about obtaining one or two for iris

a strange fowl fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Feb 2, 2023

Culex
Jul 22, 2007

Crime sucks.
Quick question. Many years ago I remember there being like a super Flea Document on a shared Google file, with all the steps and stuff you'd need to get rid of a good flea infestation. I can't find it...anyone remember it, or know something like it? I have a work buddy who is struggling and wanted some easy reader guide type thing.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

a strange fowl posted:

you're amazing for sticking with him. they're so smart and so nervy and they bond so deeply with their person, even well-adjusted heelers are a pain in the rear end, it takes a special person to work with the messed-up ones. i really hope you get good results. do you know anything about where he came from before he ended up on the adoption merry-go-round?

I did some snooping online with the info from his surrender form and it seems like he had a normal, loving life for the first 4.5 years. He was owned by a woman in her 60s who has a little hobby farm with horses and goats. He was up to date on all his vet work and neutered. He knows his name and sit and has an excellent recall and fairly decent house manners so someone put some time into training him. He was about 20 lbs overweight when he was surrendered but he's lost all that now and is a pretty fit 45 lbs. The official reason he was surrendered was that he kept leaving her property to chase the neighbor's cats and the owner didn't want to use a tie out. Personally, I think that was probably just the last straw. He's clearly been at least a little nutty for a long time.

Culex posted:

Quick question. Many years ago I remember there being like a super Flea Document on a shared Google file, with all the steps and stuff you'd need to get rid of a good flea infestation. I can't find it...anyone remember it, or know something like it? I have a work buddy who is struggling and wanted some easy reader guide type thing.

Here you go

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

a strange fowl posted:

this absolute dog :qq: :swoon:

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

pictured: a hoobichoo

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
Holly came home yesterday. Since we had to wear masks for the dropoff (we're both sick), she backed off and barked at us until she decided "oh, it's you two". Once we set up her crate inside, she then threw up in it.

I imagine she's had a bit too much change in the past few weeks - while we were overseas she went to my mum's friends house and was only supposed to spend a couple of nights with my parents toward the end of the trip. However, Mr Froglet and I both became incredibly ill when we got back and haven't been able to care for her, so she's been with my mum and dad for the past week.

This morning she was all wags, so I think she'll get back into the groove of our house in no time... Though Maria and my parents are a tough act to follow! They're retired and have a lot of time and patience for our cherished house gremlin.

We worked on recall today at the park. She came back while being distracted by a bird, so proud!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

This walk started with two separate leashes

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Scout finished her show championship yesterday! She was too tired to pose for pictures with her ribbons, so we had to make do.

On my way home I stopped at the grocery store and there was a perfectly Scout sized steak on clearance.

Excellent girls get their own steaks :kimchi: We've been working on this for over a year and it was a huge win so we had to celebrate.

Tomorrow we have a weight pull lesson and then herding on Friday. We'll probably show here and there for her grand championship but mostly just to visit with our dog show friends. We'll probably also get her UKC championship this year because we're halfway there anyway.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Scout is the best :3: What cut of steak is that?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Dango Bango posted:

Scout is the best :3: What cut of steak is that?

It was a teeny little petite sirloin on sale for $1.58. Today we did a celebration tour of her favorite places (the pet store, lowes, tractor supply) and she got entirely too many treats. Life's too short to not celebrate good dogs :kimchi:

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I’ve been thinking about getting a dog for while, been doing research and preparing for what to expect. One of the things I’m concerned about is that I already have a cat. Has anyone else here adopted a dog when they already had a cat? How did that process go? What should I expect? If it helps, my cat is curious and a bit outgoing, but definitely doesn’t like when someone is in her face until she gets to know you.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Look at foster agencies near you rather than just shelters. They often foster dogs in homes with cats and can tell you how they act. I wouldn't adopt a dog that hadn't been observed living well with cats.

Beyond that there are several online guides for introducing dogs and cats, but the gyst is to keep them separated for quite a while then start short supervised introductions.

My dog I got from a foster wrestles with my cat while the cat yowls and hisses, and the cat wouldn't have it any other way.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Pongo and pepper definitely had some learning to do early on, he had to learn that it is Not Okay to chase pepper when they’re both in the back yard, but otherwise they’re good now and can share a sunbeam only a couple feet apart.

Definitely had more challenges with pepper than Pongo, she basically didn’t come downstairs except to eat for the first six months after Pongo came home and had some territory pissing problems at the top of the stairs. He is afraid of her and will drop the rope if I try to drag him within swatting distance.

They won’t ever be snuggle buds but they know how to live in the same house together.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
FYI to anyone who’s used the Embark Age Test. They sent out an email today that they realize it may not be accurate and are offering full or partial refunds. I’m guessing getting out in front of a class action suit.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

FYI to anyone who’s used the Embark Age Test. They sent out an email today that they realize it may not be accurate and are offering full or partial refunds. I’m guessing getting out in front of a class action suit.

Yeah, I got a big apology email since I contacted them about not thinking the results were right which I really appreciated. That's how science works, you do the research and then when you have more info sometimes you have to go back and change your original idea. I think they were smart in how they handled it and I'm happy to let them try again, especially since if you still think it's wrong the second time you can still get a full refund.

Scout had her first weight pull lesson today and we both really enjoyed it! Another sport to throw money at! The trainer loved her and said she had a lot of natural talent. She was dragging chains like it was nothing so we moved onto a 25 lb drag cart and a big rail sled and she rocked those too! Her poor buns were shaking by the end but she never gave up. Now to buy our own harness that actually fits my weirdly shaped dog.

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 8, 2023

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

i live vicariously through scout, it's wondrous to see a cattledog so well-behaved and accomplished. then i log off and look at my hooting blue teen demon in despair

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I'm curious about this weight pulling! Any specialized equipment? What kind of training is involved?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Dango Bango posted:

I'm curious about this weight pulling! Any specialized equipment? What kind of training is involved?

You need a special harness called either a weight pull (usually bully folks) or freight (usually sled dog folks) harness that distributes weight well but otherwise, you can do all the training just with chains and only see a sled or rig when you're competing. My trainer recommended Jimmy Allen or Stomper harnesses because that's what she likes competing in but there are lots of options out there.

This was my first lesson but it seems like the main thing is making your dog feel like you would never ask them to do something they couldn't do. That means not increasing the weight until they give up but changing it up so they are challenged each time. Eventually, you want your dog to pull with good form, head down and pulling through their body, but at first they just need to learn what you're asking and gain confidence. The trainer really emphasized going slow, you really don't even want your dog to be at a trot. Just a steady, thoughtful walk so they can figure out how to use their body. If your dog is environmentally confident and likes a bit of a fight then they pick it up really easily. Softer dogs who are only doing it to make you happy take a bit more work but they can learn too.

I wanted something to help keep Scout fit during dock off season and to give us something to compete in to earn her UKC Total Dog award that doesn't require either of us to do obedience lmao. I don't know if we'll ever be hugely competitive but we had fun and I can do a lot of training from home which is a huge plus.

Here are some articles:
https://adbadog.com/weight-pull-training-part-1/

http://www.iwpa.net/Getting_Started.html

There are a lot of videos about getting SICK GAINS FOR UR DOGS but they have decent basics if you prefer videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YdRmFezcX8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFkm72Zyytk

a strange fowl posted:

i live vicariously through scout, it's wondrous to see a cattledog so well-behaved and accomplished. then i log off and look at my hooting blue teen demon in despair

I don't know about well behaved but we like to keep busy and that little dog will do anything I ask her to do :kimchi:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Thanks for the thorough post! That's way more involved than I was originally thinking.

My dog's a strong lab/pit mix so I thought it might be something we could do. Especially to strengthen his back legs more.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Dango Bango posted:

Thanks for the thorough post! That's way more involved than I was originally thinking.

My dog's a strong lab/pit mix so I thought it might be something we could do. Especially to strengthen his back legs more.

You definitely can do it! Just get a safe harness and some chains and away you go. Don't start with like 100 lbs or have him drag for 20 miles and you'll be fine.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

lol my dog shredded up and ate like a tea towel sized section of a bedsheet and was absolutely miserable yesterday. took her to the vet for induced vomiting and she's back to normal personality wise so hopefully she got it all out but I'll be paranoid for the next few days.

Idk if this is better or worse than the time she ate a rope toy and I had to pull it out of her rear end. Labradors, man.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

a strange fowl posted:

Though mine isn't a cattledog, saaaame.

We got Holly back after our holiday/recovering from illness. She is substantially calmer and better behaved than when we left her, to the point I almost wonder if Maria lost the real Holly and replaced her with an uncanny lookalike. I think a few weeks with some retirees (who had the luxury of time to be super hardline on every shenanigan Holly tried to pull) was good for her.

Since getting her back we've been training her in recall once or twice a day at the park. It's coming along really nicely, yesterday she was able to play with a dog friend of hers and we were able to call her back a couple of times. She still has very selective hearing, so it's always surprising when people at the park sometimes approach to say hello and tell me she's great at listening to us, has nice recall, etc.

We're enrolled in more dog classes that will start at the end of the month, though I admit I'm running out of puff on training her. I want to ensure she's somewhat well-mannered so our friends/family/neighbours won't know us as 'the family with the unmanageable goblin dog', but it's a bit of a slog. She's mostly good now, so I think the next thing I will work on with her is loose leash walking and once she's gotten the hang of it, call it a day on routine training for a while.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Okay, soul nearly left body in fright - Holly capitalised on Mr Froglet opening the front door and bolted out the house. She was making a beeline for the road.

We were able to call her back with our recall phrase. :stare:

We've been training recall so much the past couple of weeks for situations just like this one. Normally she just gets so distracted and excited and will cheerfully bolt after whatever takes her fancy and... She came when called. :stare:

What a relief. While I like to think if she'd managed to get to the road she would have headed to the next door neighbours house to say hello to their dogs, I never want to find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I'm so glad your recall worked! That's awesome! It's so amazing seeing all your hard work pay off.

If you're burning out on training why don't you sign up for something fun like a tricks class? Not everything has to be that loose leash walking, recall proofing, duration/distance/distraction grind. It's just dogs, teach them something stupid. I'll just teach Scout random things in the kitchen while waiting for something to cook because she likes learning and it's 5 minutes I can fit in some training time (she only knows how to close drawers, opening them is forbidden knowledge). Wave, sit pretty ("be a bunny"), leg weaves, and spin are our current favorites.

Scout was an absolute donkey at herding on Friday because we tried to take it outside for the first time and she very much wasn't ready. It was just so much more room to run and bite! I'm going to try to fit in 5-10 minutes of super basic sheep work every morning after I feed hay to see if that helps us progress a little faster. She's just so excited to get to work sheep at our lessons that it takes a while for her brain to kick in. She's also due to come into heat on Friday (happy birthday to me???) and that usually knocks some sense into her.