Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
It’s also worth checking the tips for any fights you’re having trouble with, some of them will just randomly have “takes less damage from physical/special moves” and it isn’t super clear in the battle so you could be going in with nerfed characters and not know it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Saoshyant posted:

Ex Sync properties of striker/support units respectively. When they have been upgraded to Ex, they gain special properties when they sync.

Yes, that's all Master Mode tips where you can gain extra items the more points you gain by activating enemy buffs.

InspectorCarbonara posted:

It’s also worth checking the tips for any fights you’re having trouble with, some of them will just randomly have “takes less damage from physical/special moves” and it isn’t super clear in the battle so you could be going in with nerfed characters and not know it.

Ahhhh gotcha. I did everything right according to the tips for Wikstrom, so it sounds like I should focus on getting some key Masters to 6* EX (right now I've only managed Geeta + Hop and Ghetsis from the events)-- which is tough since this seems to be the way to actually go about doing that!

When Pigs Cry
Oct 23, 2012
Buglord
Definitely run through the Legendary Adventures once you're done with the current events if you haven't yet. Even without powerups, a lot of them are pretty usable and (I think) give you specific mats to EX them.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Ahhhh gotcha. I did everything right according to the tips for Wikstrom, so it sounds like I should focus on getting some key Masters to 6* EX (right now I've only managed Geeta + Hop and Ghetsis from the events)-- which is tough since this seems to be the way to actually go about doing that!

For this week specifically everyone has hugely inflated HP; Drasna, Siebold and Wikstrom having 29k, while Malva trades 7k HP for increased offenses putting her at 22k HP. Diantha has a comparatively puny 19k.

Siebold has Sentry Entry x2, which means physical attacks are a no-go on him. Malva needs to have her sun removed ASAP.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

So whos the "villains" in the 2nd half of this costume event gonna be? I think itll either be Dawn and Elio to mirror the heroes, or they just straight up do Bellelba and Brycen-man which would be cooler because I want more Sabrina alts.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
Let's continue the trend Zinnia set and have the villain be another postgame character:

or sordward and shielbert

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Nevermind

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Apr 17, 2024

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Managed to clear this week's Kalos Champion Stadium! :toot: :toot: :toot:

Next up is figuring out the deal with battle rallies. Any good tips or guides for maximizing points from that? I suspect my tactic of "buy nothing and spam the easiest mode" is not the best plan of action lmao

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

My battle rally strategy is something like this:
  • Buy the telescope in the first shop. It shows you what every stage is gonna be so you can more easily strategize.
  • Also in the first shop, look at the first row of items. They're all some variation of "If you meet a condition, +100% all stats or +100% attack power". If you can buy like, one or two of these and meet the condition every stage (probably until like, eh, stage 7 or so) you should be able to plow through the very hard fights fairly easily. Also FWIW, buying one of them means they'll always show up in the shop in the future so you can keep buying them.
  • Some people probably have a nice roster of units and can afford to constantly swap them out each stage but its not me. :v: I typically use a carry unit (who activates the aforementioned shop items) and keep swapping out my other 2 units to match the roles for bonus points. If a stage ever gets too hard I just forget about the bonuses and plow through with some of my strong units. In particular you wanna do everything you can to match roles on lucky stages because they're worth so much more points.
  • Don't be afraid of just buying the apple cup on the last fight. It's really hard! If you can do the fight without it though, definitely try for it, because 500 points is really expensive.
  • Remember to buy and use your roll cakes! A unit with an EX Role now counts for 2 different roles in battle rally, so the earlier you use your roll cakes the more points you're gonna get!

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I have a big roster, so my advice might not apply.

But I:

- See what the free boost I get is.
- Always put one of those, of a boosted role, in the party. Use techs to tank or whatever, it doesn't matter if people are KO'd.
- Buy the initial starting bonus 4 more times over the first 4 stages.
- Always do the Very Hard stage.
- Disregard supereffective types if needed, but always bring the maximum boosted roles for max points.
- Try not to use the ideal units for the Ultimate battles at the end until I get there. In practice this means hold off on using Zapdos/Pikas because they stomp every Ultimate.

I usually finish with somewhere north of 8-9k points. 6k per week should be all you need to buy all the role cake tickets, which are the only reward that actually matters. Sync orbs are nice to have nowadays I guess.

If you put your first two stages in this: https://ng-pomatools.web.app/battle-rally It will tell you what the rest will be. There's only so many patterns.

If you don't have the roster depth I do, you can form a team with all five roles covered using EX Roles and use that team for the entire thing, safely assured of getting at least an x2 bonus for the whole run. Mix Red, SSA Cynthia and any random tech neatly covered it for me but there's a lot of combos. Mix Red doesn't need to use his TM since he self buffs on entry. Geeta also does this and is incredible for sweeping the mode with only one team. SS Steven can use his forme change TMs infinitely so is also really good for this. SS Kris/NC Bede can use their buffs once and sync to get them back. Classic Red can use his Max Move to regain his MP. NC Rosa can spam out random buffs and +crit with her B Move (and complements SS Steven nicely with rebuff, but does restrict your last slot to a Striker/Field). And so on and so forth.

Buying 5x 100pt boosts and clearing every VH stage with x2 multiplier is enough to get you your 6k exactly.

But what you can do is set aside your all-roles sweeper team that can clear the whole mode at the start, and just use as many boosted roles as you can for as long as you can up until you hit an impassable wall or run out of units, and then switch in the sweeper team and finish out the mode with them.

MarquiseMindfang fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 19, 2024

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah my roster is uh, not great. I played for a few months like a year ago maybe? I've got like, Stephen/Deoxys and Red/Pikachu as standouts, a handful of other good 5 stars, and a bunch of F2P units. My only Sprint or Field pair is Riley because they didn't exist before. :v:

I probably will take that all-roles idea though. Stephen/Red/Riley all caked up should work pretty well and it means I don't have to despair every time I hit like 5 Field bonuses in a row.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Arzaac posted:

Yeah my roster is uh, not great. I played for a few months like a year ago maybe? I've got like, Stephen/Deoxys and Red/Pikachu as standouts, a handful of other good 5 stars, and a bunch of F2P units. My only Sprint or Field pair is Riley because they didn't exist before. :v:

I probably will take that all-roles idea though. Stephen/Red/Riley all caked up should work pretty well and it means I don't have to despair every time I hit like 5 Field bonuses in a row.

In that case you can have Steven tank in Defense Forme for a free +4 to Red every fight, and Riley can Max Knuckle every fight for the remaining +2, and Red always crits anyway. Should sweep without much trouble as long as Red has the grid upgrade to enable Electric Terrain on Max Move (or else just spam thundershocks until he can sync if he has EX Role).

You'll want to look out for stat boosts that one of the three can activate, then.

Fighting, Sinnoh, Supernatural, Battle Partner, Battleground Foe, Psychic, Hoenn, Champion, Sygna Suit, Space Cadet, Electric, Kanto, Main Character or Pallet Town.

MarquiseMindfang fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 19, 2024

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And the latest update gives us our answer (new units for Brycen and “Bellelba” AKA Sabrina), we’ve also got two Paldea Elite Four members incoming (one of which will have a Lodge pair):

https://twitter.com/absolutelypm/status/1783021743285932163

Also new Blue alt with yet another Charizard, new alts for Plumeria and Guzma, and for some reason the MC gets a Caterpie that can evolve

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Apr 24, 2024

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
rika and poppy in the same month is mean

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

"Feels like I'm wearing nothing at all!"

:blush: stupid sexy Brycen-man

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Rika being technically-slightly-better-but-not-really for OG Cynthia is irritating. Also only having one B Move MP with which to set Ground Zone.

My gems are pretty safe, but the real killer this month is the amount of really good EX roles.

Strike for SS Hilbert? Tech for Classic Blue, Maxie AND SS Lysandre? Field for SS Morty?!

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
On the one hand it's lame that the next mix pair is Blue because that means the one after is probably going to be Leaf and Blastoise, but on the other hand it's good because it means I can continue not engaging with that dumb paid only scout.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

InspectorCarbonara posted:

On the one hand it's lame that the next mix pair is Blue because that means the one after is probably going to be Leaf and Blastoise, but on the other hand it's good because it means I can continue not engaging with that dumb paid only scout.

You should though, Red and Venusaur are absurdly good

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I might save my gems for the Summer SC reruns and pick up Liza + Celesteela for a much needed upgrade on Anni Steven.

Though Anni Skyla is ALSO getting Strike EX role.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Second limited Lodge unit in a row, that's lame.

Units seem nice but I've been pretty happy with my upgrades recently, so I'm feeling pretty skippy. Pokestar Sabrina is a ridiculous tank though. The ton of EX roles this update is crazy, Battle Rally might actually start being fun soon.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Larryb posted:

You should though, Red and Venusaur are absurdly good

Out of curiosity, how much did you spend to get it?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

I forget actually as it was a while ago around the time where they first added him.

But I recall getting lucky and snagging him in just a few pulls (and now he’s a mainstay on one of my primary teams), your mileage may vary I guess

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Saoshyant posted:

cant speak for larryb but i lucked out and got him with 59/300 scout points.

I went to go check if it gives daily discount scout points or regular scout points and then got a second copy :toot:

it gives daily discout points fwiw, so 59 pulls total or 5900 gems.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

cant speak for larryb but i lucked out and got him with 59/300 scout points.

I went to go check if it gives daily discount scout points or regular scout points and then got a second copy :toot:

it gives daily discout points fwiw, so 59 pulls total or 5900 gems.

Upon checking I was luckier than you it seems, it only took me 23 points

Though the gacha system in this game is weird for me anyway, sometimes I can get what I want almost immediately and there are other times where I get nothing but dogshit until eventually I max out on points and can choose manually

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 24, 2024

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Took 90 for me.

In theory 50 is average.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Odd that Rika’s the first Gen 9 character to hit the Lodge (I would have guessed Nemona or Penny honestly)

On another note, I miss non MC pairs with Pokemon that can evolve (I think the last one was the Gen 7 protagonists)

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Cool, Rika and Bellelba in the same month, 2 pairs I want. Good thing I saved 40+k gems for this.

Oh, we only get 22k gems this month. I might have to skip bellelba anyway

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

mabels big day posted:

Cool, Rika and Bellelba in the same month, 2 pairs I want. Good thing I saved 40+k gems for this.

Oh, we only get 22k gems this month. I might have to skip bellelba anyway

Lo and behold, rika took all my gems. Bye-bye bellelba. Hopefully you get a select scout soon

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Huh, interesting they added Rika but not her Lodge version from the datamine (usually those things go hand in hand in regards to new characters)

Also the RNG gods are fickle, I spent 14,000 gems on Rika and got zilch while in some other instances I’ve gotten the unit I wanted in just two or three pulls

Edit: Finally got her after 163 points

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 26, 2024

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Got Rika in two tenpulls! :toot: Feels good after getting within spitting distance of pity for both Geeta and Volo.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Is Paid Only Blue worth spending money on? I was pretty impressed by the previous offering of Red & Venusaur at least

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I don't think anything is worth spending money on in a gacha,

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Larryb posted:

Is Paid Only Blue worth spending money on? I was pretty impressed by the previous offering of Red & Venusaur at least

He's almost exactly the same unit but in Fire flavour. Special Fire's best option aside from him is NY Wallace, followed by OG Leon/Anni N.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, I got him in 2 days worth of pulls (seems any points you have left over from Red carry over which also helps things go faster)

There are enough Charizards and Pikachus in this game now to fill (or nearly fill) at least two whole teams each

Larryb fucked around with this message at 07:38 on May 2, 2024

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
That's nice. I got zero 5* on my first two days.

e; First three days now, sorry.

MarquiseMindfang fucked around with this message at 07:52 on May 3, 2024

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Cheren and Bianca are getting new sync pairs (and the former is coming to the Trainer Lodge), not sure if there’s anything else for June though as I couldn’t find a datamine link:

https://x.com/PokemonMasters/status/1795636437368328316

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 29, 2024

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
LARRY ALERT

LARRY ALERT

THIS IS NOT A DRILL

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also Kabu

https://x.com/absolutelypm/status/1795740389162549527

But yes, the best SV boy has arrived (now we just need Arven to complete the main trio)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:13 on May 29, 2024

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also for anyone curious, here’s what Larry sounds like (it’s almost exactly what I expected):

https://x.com/absolutelypm/status/1796056208429682781

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
two MF robbed me of all my gems, but I did get Eusine on a daily, so...