Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

MaoistBanker posted:

Hey, wanna know what youngsters think of playing in Vancouver? (As if yesterday didn't make it obvious enough)

“Hopefully I can appeal to fans up there, make them love me instead of hate me.” -- Thatcher Demko

hahahahaha. i can't believe vancouver has become the nhl gulag so quickly. pretty soon people will be requesting trades to ottawa and winnipeg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

MaoistBanker posted:

Hey, wanna know what youngsters think of playing in Vancouver? (As if yesterday didn't make it obvious enough)

“Hopefully I can appeal to fans up there, make them love me instead of hate me.” -- Thatcher Demko

i think the whole luongo thing is going to end up being even more of a disaster than it already is. every hockey player in the world knows about that, who would be excited to go there after that poo poo?

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

Scorchy posted:

Well at least it's better than "I never thought I’d be a Vancouver Canuck and it is what it is."

As a quick aside, considering the amount of media training these kids get and how they are programmed to answer questions how the gently caress did this kid get away with saying this? It's like selecting that troll answer in NHL '14.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Verviticus posted:

i really think benning is an idiot and its depressing that hes going to drag linden through the muck until everyone hates them both

Oh no I agree completely. I was very unimpressed with Benning's introductory press conference where he re-emphasized size and the bizarre idea that certain players are built for the playoffs or something. Still, other than fat russian giant I've felt his picks have been of the 'perfectly alright' category.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

TOR acquires Roman Polak!

STL gets Carl Gunnarson.

Uh, whatever.

MaoistBanker fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 28, 2014

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

MaoistBanker posted:

As a quick aside, considering the amount of media training these kids get and how they are programmed to answer questions how the gently caress did this kid get away with saying this? It's like selecting that troll answer in NHL '14.

i think that his point was more like "you never know where you're going to go and i would have been excited to go anywhere" but yeah that sure did sound bad

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

a false posted:

i think that his point was more like "you never know where you're going to go and i would have been excited to go anywhere" but yeah that sure did sound bad

Yeah it was just a bad offhand comment. I'm sure he meant nothing by it. I think he was just disappointed to have slipped so far. Still, compared to the unbridled joy from Hunter Shinkaruk who we took 24th overall the year before it was a pretty bad first impression.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

MaoistBanker posted:

OKAY!

He plays defense (not very well) and shoots (not very well) right and makes nearly 3 million per for the next two seasons so uh well at least he shoots right.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

a false posted:

i think the whole luongo thing is going to end up being even more of a disaster than it already is. every hockey player in the world knows about that, who would be excited to go there after that poo poo?

this plus kesler's image as a fun loving gregarious dude and both of them demanding out probably gives a lot of casual observers of vancouver's situation pause

if you're only sort of aware of what's been going on would you rather hang with luongo and kesler or the sedinbots?

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
2 more picks until point falls to the isles come onnnnnnnn

dal colle ho-sang and point would be such a great draft, i mean that's basically 3 firsts considerng where point was projected

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

ThinkTank posted:

Brayden Point had nearly twice as many point as the second highest scoring player on his team. He is still falling because he's 5'9". Big Russian man will never step onto an NHL ice surface.

Both of them are perfect habs

Midgets or beasts who cant play, the Canadiens way :megadeath:

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

MaoistBanker posted:

STL gets Carl Gunnarson.

Uh, whatever.

lmao that's a loving HORRIBLE trade for toronto, gunnarsson is so much better than polak

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Elvis has been spotted in Columbus.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

ThinkTank posted:

Oh no I agree completely. I was very unimpressed with Benning's introductory press conference where he re-emphasized size and the bizarre idea that certain players are built for the playoffs or something. Still, other than fat russian giant I've felt his picks have been of the 'perfectly alright' category.

Jason Botchford @botchford · 18m

Demko likely needs surgery on both hips. There's an imperfection in his hip joint. Becoming rather common for goalies

dyn
Jan 9, 2005

Barn duelin' since '07
Okay, fire Nonis

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Verviticus posted:

Jason Botchford @botchford · 18m

Demko likely needs surgery on both hips. There's an imperfection in his hip joint. Becoming rather common for goalies

lundqvist had this surgery fwiw. i mean, he was 10 years older than demko when he had it, but...

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

What the loving christ, Gunnarsson is better than Polak.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
isles up please pick point please please please

e: a russian goalie? alright. hope point falls to the rangers then

dyn
Jan 9, 2005

Barn duelin' since '07
I guess we really are tanking for McDavid

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*

eXXon posted:

What the loving christ, Gunnarsson is better than Polak.
Gave up a pick to get the lesser player. A Leafs trade.

Reverend Sub-Zero
Jan 11, 2008

Filladelfia Pliers
Dave Nonis is a goddamn idiot, wow.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
I feel a tiny bit better now thank dave

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
huh this kid the isles picked was already playing in the khl last year, that's pretty encouraging. numbers aren't bad for an 18 year old in a pro league.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
TBL took Point.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
lol someone whose first name was matheson just got picked

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

a false posted:

a goalie i haven't even heard of. whatever.

although when i heard the pick called in the background of these idiots talking i thought they said keegan iverson so at least it wasn't that

OH FOR gently caress'S SAKE

e:

A big strong power winger who is not scared to throw his weight around and do the heavy lifting on a scoring line. He is at his best fighting for loose pucks and battling for space in front of the opposing net. Does not possess the highest skill level. (November 2013)

gently caress off

a false fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 28, 2014

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Toronto opened the Roman Polak door and it hit them in the face

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Nashville drafted a Russian for the first time in 10 years.

Also Washington drafted the first Australian in NHL history!

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

tofes posted:

Toronto opened the Roman Polak door and it hit them in the face

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
cool we picked a guy named mantha

who has no offense

gently caress

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
Caps love them some Nathan Walker.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Just woke up and saw the Canucks traded for Vey so he wouldn't do mean things to Brad Richardson again:

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

Thufir posted:

Also Washington drafted the first Australian in NHL history!

Who was at a bar in Australia and hadn't realized he had been drafted until...

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Spamtron7000 posted:

Caps love them some Nathan Walker.

Yes!

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
This S. Eiserman better be the next Yzerman :colbert:

CDX
Dec 3, 2004

Cheap, but not as cheap as your girlfriend.

MaoistBanker posted:

Who was at a bar in Australia and hadn't realized he had been drafted until...

Is this real? Cause that's amazing.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
isles you already picked a bad toews once, come on

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
Jets just drafted Nelson Nogier, the smartest kid in the dub

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
the guy the senators drafted appears to have never scored in his life. the 2nd rounder i mean

shane eiserman will be popular because his name sounds like yzerman

Spring Break My Heart fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
hooray back to back rangers picks incoming! will they be bad? probably!

alright i kind of like that goalie that's not too bad. that puts 3 interesting goaltending prospects in our system so hopefully one of them pans out.

and we've traded the next one. ok

• Locked thread