Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

You can start with Messiah Complex then Messiah War to see young Hope and good dad Cable. After that there's an Uncanny X-Men story called the Lights which leads into Generation Hope where most of her adult characterization takes place.

After that you have Avengers vs. X-Men and that kinda is the end of her importance. She shows up afterwards but they aren't really great or add much, so then you can pretty much skip to the Krakoan Era and specifically Immortal X-Men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Vanadium posted:

What book/run do I want to read to figure out what Hope's whole deal is? I remember reading a bunch of stuff way back in the day where they're all excited about her existing and trying to locate her or whatever and I think I remember a bunch of Cable adventures and later I read stuff where Hope is just kind of hanging out so I assume that's after she had some main character thing happen.

I'd say you get the best sense of who her character is from the Cable series immediately after Messiah Complex, written by Duane Szwiersky (I know I'm butchering his name). And the Messiah War crossover with X-Force was cool too.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Thanks, I'll go check those out!

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Sentinel Red posted:

Bored at work and trying to work out who are the mutants that have the cursed/short end of the stick, gift wise?

Forget-Me-Not. Emplate. Magott. Skin. There's been a couple of Horsemen of Pestilence who's 'power' is spreading disease.

Did Omega Red always need to kill people to survive, or is that a result of the enhancements the Soviets gave him?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
his mutant power is specifically to generate death spores. i'll give you three guesses what those do.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

his mutant power is specifically to generate death spores. i'll give you three guesses what those do.

rectal concussive beams

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

GOD IS BED posted:

I'd say you get the best sense of who her character is from the Cable series immediately after Messiah Complex, written by Duane Szwiersky (I know I'm butchering his name). And the Messiah War crossover with X-Force was cool too.

Also throw in the Cable & X-Force series which is heavy on Cable/Hope by Dennis Hallum.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Angry Salami posted:

Forget-Me-Not. Emplate. Magott. Skin. There's been a couple of Horsemen of Pestilence who's 'power' is spreading disease.

Did Omega Red always need to kill people to survive, or is that a result of the enhancements the Soviets gave him?

It’s part of the carbonadium poisoning. His whole thing initially was that he was looking for a carbonadium synthesizer to cure him.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

After that you have Avengers vs. X-Men and that kinda is the end of her importance. She shows up afterwards but they aren't really great or add much, so then you can pretty much skip to the Krakoan Era and specifically Immortal X-Men.

It was pretty clear early on that Hope was setup to be reset button for M-day, but then right about that time the Marvel execs were "Actually, we'd prefer mutants stay gone." so she was pretty much purposeless after that.

It's amusing though because of this she's had like half a dozen unique power sets as the writers never knew what to do with her until eventually with AvX when they shrugged and just went "Phoenix force I guess, that usually works."

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
https://bleedingcool.com/comics/cyclops-jean-grey-wolverine-were-never-an-x-men-throuple-official/

This loving sucks. I've been giving them the benefit of the doubt on the "back to old status quo" thing (that was going to happen at some point; it's loving comics), but there's zero benefit to making these statements. I don't know who you're appealing to when you say "those cute little things Hickman and others just hinted at aren't what you think." Just shut the gently caress up and let people enjoy it, you assholes.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
People had a variety of reasons for wanting the Summers Family Lunar Love Nest, but the idea of Wolverine being in a throuple with Scott always struck me as weird. Logan might have the "You're an egghead, but I respect you" thing towards Scott but I've always felt like the beginning and ending of Scott's feelings about Logan were "Please listen to orders and stop trying to gently caress my wife"

Emma/Jean/Scott makes more sense but also feels like the most tedious of CIS dude wish fulfillment. Maybe Gambit/Rogue/Deadpool? Deadpool would 100% be into it and Rogue has that thing that Captain America has where she likes Deadpool even though nobody else does (is being friends with Deadpool the sign of truly charismatic leader?). Gambit would be the only question mark in that case.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I think it’s a universal constant that any polyamorous relationship must include 1 person who’s short, hairy and has questionable personal hygiene. Logan’s Law of Polyamory.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

OnimaruXLR posted:

People had a variety of reasons for wanting the Summers Family Lunar Love Nest, but the idea of Wolverine being in a throuple with Scott always struck me as weird. Logan might have the "You're an egghead, but I respect you" thing towards Scott but I've always felt like the beginning and ending of Scott's feelings about Logan were "Please listen to orders and stop trying to gently caress my wife"

Emma/Jean/Scott makes more sense but also feels like the most tedious of CIS dude wish fulfillment. Maybe Gambit/Rogue/Deadpool? Deadpool would 100% be into it and Rogue has that thing that Captain America has where she likes Deadpool even though nobody else does (is being friends with Deadpool the sign of truly charismatic leader?). Gambit would be the only question mark in that case.

Scott and Logan don't need to be having sex, I always felt that was just for the funny memes and tumblr crowd. The point I think that was trying to be made is that they realized that Jean had enough love for the both of them and they didn't need to compete, which took a lot of the animosity out of their relationship.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

danbanana posted:

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/cyclops-jean-grey-wolverine-were-never-an-x-men-throuple-official/

This loving sucks. I've been giving them the benefit of the doubt on the "back to old status quo" thing (that was going to happen at some point; it's loving comics), but there's zero benefit to making these statements. I don't know who you're appealing to when you say "those cute little things Hickman and others just hinted at aren't what you think." Just shut the gently caress up and let people enjoy it, you assholes.

He's wrong because he ignores the time Jean hooked up with Logan. But then again it seems like Percy just pretended Cyclops didn't exist and nobody outside of him really pushed those two together.

But it's whatever. I think he's just trying to set the board for his run as editor and already said Scott and Jean will continue their marriage. So he seems to just want that without anything attached.

Turns out the reason their rooms were connected was because Logan was their pet and they washed to keep an eye on him so he didn't pee all over and claw the furniture up.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

https://x.com/AIPTcomics/status/1792952705264067008

Hickman just out here casually teaming with superstar artists for fun projects.

Also seems to be featuring the Children of the Sun from his Avengers run.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I mean these people are messy bitches who couldn't hold a normal stable relationship if their life depended on it, who honestly cares if they have one more messy relationship to their name?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Mulva posted:

I mean these people are messy bitches who couldn't hold a normal stable relationship if their life depended on it, who honestly cares if they have one more messy relationship to their name?

I know what you meant, but for a second I thought you were calling Hickman and Capullo "messy bitches" and was wondering what you know that I don't.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Hickman blowing up everybody's books for a year for secret wars is peak messy

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I wish it was a different character but Capullo can draw the hell out of Wolverine.

But if I were in charge I'd have Hickman write Quasar for Capullo. It might sell like 50 copies but I'd love it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Codependent Poster posted:

I wish it was a different character but Capullo can draw the hell out of Wolverine.

But if I were in charge I'd have Hickman write Quasar for Capullo. It might sell like 50 copies but I'd love it.

I would buy 50 copies myself.

(BSS Resident Quasar and Mark Gruenwald fanboy)

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Isn't Quasar that guy who got one shot by Annihilus?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

danbanana posted:

This is going to end up like when they tried to pretend Northstar wasn't gay.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Air Skwirl posted:

This is going to end up like when they tried to pretend Northstar wasn't gay.

it is absolutely not going to end up like that

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

they're gonna have to work so hard to bury the 5 pages in the first 6 months or so of Krakoa comics where any of that stuff was lightly implied and then never mentioned again for the next 4 years of comics

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Blockhouse posted:

it is absolutely not going to end up like that

It might take a decade or so, but hell, we got on page confirmation that Mystique is Nightcrawler's biological father just this year

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Air Skwirl posted:

It might take a decade or so, but hell, we got on page confirmation that Mystique is Nightcrawler's biological father just this year

this absolutely does not have the level of fan push for it that northstar or mystique (which was also explicitly claremont's plan we've known about for years) had

like as mentioned above other than the winks towards it the first few months it basically never came up, never went anywhere, and never had anything solid to it. It's fine as headcanon but as far as I know Hickman never even said anything about it out-of-comics in an interview or whatnot.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

this absolutely does not have the level of fan push for it that northstar or mystique (which was also explicitly claremont's plan we've known about for years) had

like as mentioned above other than the winks towards it the first few months it basically never came up, never went anywhere, and never had anything solid to it. It's fine as headcanon but as far as I know Hickman never even said anything about it out-of-comics in an interview or whatnot.

When I got back into comics, and X-Men specifically I listened to a bunch of podcasts about X-Men and there's a lot of queer people who were really into it, and a lot of them write comics.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Wolverine and Cyclops love each other and it’s only a matter of time before they kiss in comic.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Man overall I havent hated like Fall of the House of X like everyone else seems to. It has been OK at best with some really cool moments that reward reading earlier Krakoa stuff.

Lactuca being able to hide from Enigma is dope as hell. I liked the mutant circuit that beat Nimrods circuit, Storms been a loving boss since Arrako was created

I cant wait for Rise next week

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Veg posted:

Storms been a loving boss forever

I cant wait for Rise next week

ftfy

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
It’s me, the guy who has been hyped to read X-Terminators for months because of y’all hyping it up, and…honestly I did not much care for it. A couple funny bits, the funniest of which I had already seen online (the group text page). Otherwise it was mainly Leah Williams regurgitating jokes she had seen online? The term “tryhard” came to mind multiple times while reading it! Fun cheesecake-y art though!

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
I don't care for most of Leah Williams stuff either. X-Terminators was better than her X-Factor run, at least.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Lol that we are never getting any sort of explanation on why Kate/Kitty couldn't use the gates.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Spacebump posted:

Lol that we are never getting any sort of explanation on why Kate/Kitty couldn't use the gates.

Krakoa thought it would be a funny joke

Caros
May 14, 2008

Spacebump posted:

I mean, I kinda get where they are coming from. Her power is phasing through things. The gates are a weird dimensional travel thing and she can't walk through them like everyone else. And she has trouble with resurrection because of her power.

Seemed pretty self explanatory by the point they revealed the latter. They never delved into it because it wasn't a mystery, just a story conceit for why she had to be a pirate, and later why she gets to be a ninja.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Surprise Lactuca appearance

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Spacebump posted:

Not everything needs spelled out though does it?

Kittys powers dont work with Krakoa. It made for a cool/unexpected moment when Kittys powers DID work with Krakoa.

Now im getting loving stressed out cos i dont know how long its been since scott ate. He must be getting hungry during issue 5 of fothox

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Veg posted:

Not everything needs spelled out though does it?

Kittys powers dont work with Krakoa. It made for a cool/unexpected moment when Kittys powers DID work with Krakoa.

Now im getting loving stressed out cos i dont know how long its been since scott ate. He must be getting hungry during issue 5 of fothox

They probably fed him when they moved to Europe for the trial since they wanted to put a show on and it would look bad if he was tortured and malnourished. And he had an actual lawyer in She-Hulk so she would've made sure he was in good condition.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

I just assume comic book characters have a different metabolism than us, that one big sandwich has been keeping Scott going this whole run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nimrod never heard of circuit breakers lmao