Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

mbt posted:

You've just been 4NM'd

:doh:

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I was not aware of 4nm and reading about it it sounds horrible. Anyone who mods "exploits" out of Morrowind should be sent to a prison island

I didn't go for his balance mods. I went for:

* The armorer one, to make armorer a bit more fun / rewarding
* Ultra AI / PVP; these really change physical combat to make it much more engaging and difficult (see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ6VpK1Y74Q&t=290s)
* ShieldsUp; this basically adds an active block button but you have to be careful about your positioning with all the bobbing and weaving that takes place with ultra ai / pvp
* Dragondoor; so I can be chased through doors, I guess
* The monster randomiser one (monster stats vary from 80% to 120%)

This is my first play through in 3-4 years. I want to take things slowly, absorb the atmosphere, read books etc.

I'd normally go full glass cannon Telvanni with GCD: pure mage, atronach, boots of blinding speed, steal everything that isn't tied down, make my own restore health / mana potions, custom short term spells e.g. 100% chameleon and /or charm, glass cannon etc.

This time I'm going full Redoran with MULE: mainly melee, no core magic skills, no-metagaming, no stealing, using store-bought / guild stock potions only, proportional progression to slow things down, using speechcraft and mercantile, medium armour, athletics / acrobatics minors, only using enchantments I find from drip / in game

Some of the economic mods like smarter harder barter are great. I'm level 6 now and strapped for cash all the time.

Entropy238 fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Also equipment requirements is really good too! No more daedrics / artifacts at low levels.

I'd tried to do the Redas Ancestral tomb quest for the Redoran at current level and got my poo poo kicked in by two atronachs and a dremora. No way I'll be able to do it until a much higher level so I've tactically retreated back to molar mar.

One thing that's amazing is how not having boots of blinding changes the combat. Forces you to engage / be more tactical.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Entropy238 posted:

This time I'm going full Redoran

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.
you know I'm glad that pvp mod makes the combat more engaging or whatever but it looks extremely stupid watching an NPC sprint around you circle strafing

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I looked at 4nms code before and it's like a real life eldritch tome written by a mad man just about everything everything is named with only a single letter or two as well very impressive tbh

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
True hero's document

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
Anybody running OpenMW on a Steam Deck, or equivalent Windows/Android handheld? How are the controls and how good does it actually run?

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
https://www.pcgamer.com/games/the-e...est-mods-for-it

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Any of y'all played Dread Delusion?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

anatomi posted:

Any of y'all played Dread Delusion?

Only a bit but it owns

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

It's a bit more like old-school Gothic than Morrowind in places IMO, but still very good.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I wish I liked it more; the visual aesthetic is hit or miss for me, bit the real issue I have is that it feels more like Kings field, or as was pointed out Gothic, than Morrowind. Let's take weapons as an example.

You start with a rusted sword, and that's going to be pretty much it; you can upgrade it, and you probably find others, but it's not like an ES game where there's an entire TTRPG's weapons table recreated in a PC game. Enemies don't drop weapons, there isn't a brisk trade in buying and selling weapons in towns, you aren't going to see minute differences in what you equip either between characters or at different points in a playthrough.

The melee combat, also, is straight out of Kingsfield. I hope you enjoy baiting the enemy into a telegraph wind up, stepping backwards as they swing, and then darting in to hit before moving off to reset. Every time. Over and over. Against every enemy. Enemies that you absolutely cannot afford to be hit by, so just keep doing this little dance, every time. So often you'll clear entire areas and suffer no damage because damage only comes when you make a mistake.

It's an interesting game, and I don't regret buying it to support the creators, but it doesn't feel like Morrowind to me personally. It feels more like a PS1 FPS RPG in the tradition of Kingsfield, like Lunacid.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Thanks for the write-up! I was curious about DD because of the comparisons to Morrowind some people have been making. Sounds like a different beast that what I'd imagined.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Private Speech posted:

It's a bit more like old-school Gothic than Morrowind in places IMO, but still very good.

The Clockwork area of the map really reminds me of the tech cultists in Thief tbh

I played through it, pretty short RPG all told at 18 hours but I had a good time. Quite a few fun quests and decisions to ponder, though by 75% of the way through I was just running past enemies lol

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Morrowin.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Many people saying this.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

its may modathon

my yearly mod drop is here: revamping the tribunal sewers and fixing quests

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/54746

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

The sotha sil expanded mod is wild

BeastOfTheEdelwood
Feb 27, 2023

Led through the mist, by the milk-light of moon, all that was lost is revealed.
I've been playing Dread Delusion, and I like it. It kind of scratches an Elder Scrolls itch, but it's not quite the same.

Thinkin' about doing my yearly playthrough of Morrowind pretty soon. I discovered this mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/52928, and I'm excited to try it out. (It's The Art of Alchemy, for those who don't want to click the link.)

Also, my must haves:
-Tamriel Rebuilt
-Necrocraft
-Uvirith's Legacy
-A bunch of other prerequisites and minor stuff.

Anyone have any other suggestions for an evil wizard playthrough? I always do both House Telvanni and the Mages Guild. I'm interested in this mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/53337 (Pray), but it doesn't have Daedra worship yet so I'll probably hold off.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

BeastOfTheEdelwood posted:

I've been playing Dread Delusion, and I like it. It kind of scratches an Elder Scrolls itch, but it's not quite the same.

Thinkin' about doing my yearly playthrough of Morrowind pretty soon. I discovered this mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/52928, and I'm excited to try it out. (It's The Art of Alchemy, for those who don't want to click the link.)

Also, my must haves:
-Tamriel Rebuilt
-Necrocraft
-Uvirith's Legacy

Anyone have any other suggestions for an evil wizard playthrough? I always do both House Telvanni and the Mages Guild. I'm interested in this mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/53337 (Pray), but it doesn't have Daedra worship yet so I'll probably hold off.

Rise of house telvanni?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Does Dread Delusion have any factions? Honestly, rising up the ranks in factions (even nominally) is a big reason why I like playing ES.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It's not explicitly Telvanni and I haven't actually used it, but there's Lichcraft 2 which lets you become a lich. That feels evil wizardy.

BeastOfTheEdelwood
Feb 27, 2023

Led through the mist, by the milk-light of moon, all that was lost is revealed.

mbt posted:

Rise of house telvanni?

Air Skwirl posted:

It's not explicitly Telvanni and I haven't actually used it, but there's Lichcraft 2 which lets you become a lich. That feels evil wizardy.

Thanks for the suggestions! I've actually played both of those before. RoHT was fun to do once, but it makes so many changes to vanilla locations that it makes me a little nervous about conflicts. I also didn't love the writing. I don't know, maybe I should try it again.

Lichcraft 2 was cool, but I found it a little buggy for my taste. Fortunately, Necrocraft lets you become a lich as well. (Necrocraft is seriously the best necromancy mod that I've tried for Morrowind, and I've tried a lot of Morrowind necromancy mods.)

SettingSun posted:

Does Dread Delusion have any factions? Honestly, rising up the ranks in factions (even nominally) is a big reason why I like playing ES.

It does have factions, but they don't really have questlines or ranks, per se. At least not that I've found. They mostly just determine how friendly certain NPCs are toward you. Not nearly as in depth as an Elder Scrolls game in that regard. If you're going into Dread Delusion for the factions, you will be disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

BeastOfTheEdelwood posted:

Also, my must haves:
-Tamriel Rebuilt
-Necrocraft
-Uvirith's Legacy

Illuminates Order