Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

coconono posted:

The FSD stuff seems like it could be useful in long haul freeway type situations but lmao am I trusting a fuckin computer to drive me through the fog

Also trains are cool and engineered to be nearly impossible to wreck.

I'd trust Ford's version of the technology more, but I just don't understand use examples. For those few moments when you can use the tech (long boring highway drives I assume), is it really that appealing? Like you can take your hands off the wheel for 15 minutes, so what?

Now, obviously, a full self driving vehicle has all kinds of benefits. But that's a long ways off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Mistle posted:

I just want to say:

LOL at the redirect from twitter to x, it's literally using a token to redirect *all* traffic, because it automatically sends x.com to twitter.com, but then the twitter domain has to take the token and send it to the special sanitized x.com(no redirects) location?

Even the default https://twitter.com and https://x.com do this poo poo, it's so loving ham-fisted

EDIT: Also, this is completely stupid and now that I can't even pull up individual tweets without invoking some UID token and having page redirects like it's 2006, I'm in the "just take a screenshot of the tweet" club :colbert:

or just copy paste the text tweets so SA can slowly start bui;ding up a ctrl f/indexable collection of tweets. screen caps are good, but imgur and image hosts have all shown themselves vulnerable to "hey what if we pivot to profitability?" before blinking out of existence

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
SA the everything app!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

crispix posted:

SA the everything app!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

it already handles financial transactions via avatar purchases

supports video and images and direct messaging

all Jeff needs to add is a trending hashtag topic and we're in business

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

PhazonLink posted:

or just copy paste the text tweets so SA can slowly start bui;ding up a ctrl f/indexable collection of tweets. screen caps are good, but imgur and image hosts have all shown themselves vulnerable to "hey what if we pivot to profitability?" before blinking out of existence

Imgur deleting the screencap of Doge guy saying Elon is the smartest most handsome man is the modern day equivalent of the burning of the library of Alexandria

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Azhais posted:

They claim the lidar purchases were for chase cars that were verifying the "thoughts and prayers" detection system Teslas rely on

it’s actually driven by an optimus “robot” behind the wheel, which is being remotely operated by a guy in a cubicle. full. self. driving.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

redshirt posted:

I'd trust Ford's version of the technology more, but I just don't understand use examples. For those few moments when you can use the tech (long boring highway drives I assume), is it really that appealing? Like you can take your hands off the wheel for 15 minutes, so what?

Now, obviously, a full self driving vehicle has all kinds of benefits. But that's a long ways off.

The cynic in me assumes that these companies are explaining these limitations knowing their target market will try to use the system all the time, going so far as to jailbreak through any blocks. In that case when it fucks up its user error.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

kazil posted:

Imgur deleting the screencap of Doge guy saying Elon is the smartest most handsome man is the modern day equivalent of the burning of the library of Alexandria

reminds me of some goons talking about how theyve gotten drama bombs and death threats when they did some discord spring cleaning and deleted some of their lesser used channels even after a month's warning of "hey , save what you want."

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

y'all ready know what gif this is

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Buce posted:

yeah, the tactical operator fantasy will replace the cowboy fantasy in truck advertising

Yes! This is what I think, but in less words.

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!!!!

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

One of these created and maintains a shelter for thousands of animals, while the other is trying to get mans best friend extinct via vehicular slaughter every single day.
I know who's side i'm on

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

The side of the Malaysian Government

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
I’m here for the Chud War.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

My mom thinks I'm handsome

- Elon

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lmao, a "cool Teslas" account that posts ai generated images because there are no real cool teslas

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Lord Stimperor posted:

But it's still a Tesla, the dorky electric vehicle company. Just imagine what happens if Dodge uparmors their charger or takes a RAM with armored plates, bars across the rear window, a cow bar, gigantic roof-mounted lights.

No greenwashed electrical engine, but 6 liters of combustion power under the hood. Protected fuel tank and extra heavy duty looks on the trunk/truck bed. If there is anything EV in there, it's a hybrid. And if you drive on the electric motor it's not because it reduces pollution at low speeds in the city or because it improves fuel burn, it's beccause it's 'tactical mode' or 'stealth power cruise' or whatever.

Extremely ruggedized trucks, SUVs, and cars, marketed specifically to appeal to people who think that metropolitan areas, or anywhere close to a bus stop, are dangerous places that you need armor to conquer.

Like, truck design has already been doing this for years now short of actual explicit "armored mods for combat zones" poo poo? The last 10+ years of American trucks have been more and more tacticool on larger, chunkier vehicles that are increasingly useless as trucks. A half-ton truck that needs a fold-down step to get into, with a vestigial 4' bed that can't carry poo poo, though that doesn't really matter because you need a step-ladder to reach into it to begin with. American car manufacturers are already well past the Cybertruck as a watershed design moment imo

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

EUGHHHHH

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

haha you are so owned

i actually look 100 years older now

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Ian miles cheong is in his early 40s

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Well on his way to becoming one of those dried apple people

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Ant-man and Dogkiller should release some diss tracks if they want engagement imo

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

his dumb rear end thumbnail looks like a drat bronze statue

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Buce posted:

yeah, the tactical operator fantasy will replace the cowboy fantasy in truck advertising

lol OPERATOR AESTHETIC has 100% saturated the suburban SC truck and jeep drivers and has for years. Just go drive through any local grocery store parking lot.

Give it 5 years and a RAM POWERWAGON plowing through Birkenstock wearing protestors will run nonstop at each of the 147 NFL TV timeouts.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

He looks like he's made out of clay.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Strange... that doesn't look like USA at all...

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden
Lol I love how when I see the words OPERATOR AESTHETIC I immediately think of a skinny white dude with a groomed beard wearing khazi 5.11 pants and a Grunt Style t-shirt

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Technically the World Economic Forum, but in practice when they say that they mean....
at least it's not the World Economic Consortium...

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

holtemon posted:

Lol I love how when I see the words OPERATOR AESTHETIC I immediately think of a skinny white dude with a groomed beard wearing khazi 5.11 pants and a Grunt Style t-shirt

Look, if your shirt isn’t olive with an American flag on the sleeve, you just don’t get it bro. Lions or sheep bro. You just don’t know how dangerous the world is bro.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Samovar posted:

He looks like he's made out of clay.

nono he's gollum not golem

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

redshirt posted:

I commute and drive a lot outside of that for family events and even small driver assistance features are helpful. Lane assist and auto-breaking cruise control can make for a safer ride and done right can 1) let the driver focus more on their surroundings and 2) help out when a distraction does happen. I really like my autobreaking cruise control for slow, high-traffic commuting. It requires a lot of oversight but it is a good experience overall.

Even the companies that are doing things methodically and carefully are far off from true self-driving in every scenario.

Mercedes seems to be the furthest along with a system that they are confident enough in for them to take liability for its failures. That’s what actually needs to happen for self-driving to progress. Legislation should be passed that companies are strictly liable for failures of their driver assistance systems and the burden of proof is on them to prove that it was user error.

Mercedes is also rightly using multiple different types of sensors to make their Drive Pilot system work instead of just depending on cameras. I know it’s just because Elons a loving moron but it should be blindingly obvious that vision alone is a terrible strategy (per the loving train video). If there are sensors like lidar that perform well in scenarios where vision alone would struggle, then they should use them too.

But Elon approaches everything with his ideas > form > function so he’s handicapped anything his companies build from the very beginning. Optimus vs Boston Dynamics is the other obvious comparison. Elon’s obsession with fuckable human-robots is going to guarantee that they will never get close to Boston Dynamics capabilities.

There is never going to be some inflection point where Tesla magically gets self-driving working. Their system is flawed from the start and we’ll see many other companies start passing them over the next 5 years.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Twitter acquisition seems to be going extremely well.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Saltpowered posted:

That’s what actually needs to happen for self-driving to progress. Legislation should be passed that companies are strictly liable for failures of their driver assistance systems and the burden of proof is on them to prove that it was user error.

According to internal sensors FSD was disengaged before the incident.

(0.53 seconds before)

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

real dead body makeup energy

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Tai posted:

Why is FSD even allowed in USA? It's clearly not fit for purpose but here we are. Bribes? No one gives a gently caress? Some form of 'freedom and 'right' to do whatever you want?

Our institutions are extremely conservative-libertarian entities.The American right wing bitches and whines about activist government institutions being WOKE ILLUMINATI UN LIZARD TYRANT LEFTISTS, but our government institutions regardless remain extremely libertarian apparatuses whose employees overwhelmingly wring their hands and fetter about when and where they not only can but ought to wield their regulatory power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

:hmmyes: @stillgray indeed