Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Barudak posted:

The order of star wars films iirc was 1, 4, 5, 2, 3, 6, <gap of like 10 ranks>, 7, 8, 9.

Also you would not believe how much money execs blew on making Documentaries part of the "pillars" of Disney+ before the data came in and I was proven right and dozens of people who made enough money yearly than I had made in my career total were so fuckin wrong.

Edit: 3 and 2 may have flipped places. Thats the part I can't remember.

not saying they didnt waste money on docs, but they could have helped subscription numbers even if nobody really watches them, like people who buy special edition dvds for the extra value but never end up buying the bonus features. granted this would be like 10 dudes but i guess my point is its sort of executive brained to insist that every part of a service must individually be profitable rather than focusing on the wholistic product and bottom line

thats what i was sorta thinking about megalopolis, that itd be cool if big crazy movies could be made essentially knowing theyll bomb but subsidizing them with the high return poo poo. passion projects

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

sure okay posted:

Star Wars is a cautionary tale about how through a perfect storm of variables a movie whips too much rear end and so society tries to recreate that high for far too long

additionally, and by extension, world war 2

Barudak
May 7, 2007

dreezy posted:

not saying they didnt waste money on docs, but they could have helped subscription numbers even if nobody really watches them, like people who buy special edition dvds for the extra value but never end up buying the bonus features. granted this would be like 10 dudes but i guess my point is its sort of executive brained to insist that every part of a service must individually be profitable rather than focusing on the wholistic product and bottom line

thats what i was sorta thinking about megalopolis, that itd be cool if big crazy movies could be made essentially knowing theyll bomb but subsidizing them with the high return poo poo. passion projects

If nobody ever watches the docs, and people who self reported "they liked documentaries" were the smallest group of joiners and just as likely to quit as anyone else, signs point to a bloodbath for investment. Its why if you looked at ads the "pillars" concept of Disney+ got dropped in advertising with lightning speed.

There was a genuine belief there was an untapped erudite viewer market instead of a ravenous maw of slop consumption.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Barudak posted:

If nobody ever watches the docs, and people who self reported "they liked documentaries" were the smallest group of joiners and just as likely to quit as anyone else, signs point to a bloodbath for investment.

There was a genuine belief there was an untapped erudite viewer market instead of a ravenous maw of slop consumption.

nah yeah that was indeed highly foreseeable and one of those high level exec delusions that inevitably fail. lots of those in the eisner years. i might just stop paying attention to anything disney does and just specialize in the eisner era like a historian picking a focus. disney war is such a fun book.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
would love a social network/succession style prestige series adaptation of disney war, which can never happen because of the power of the mouse, but boy could it be fun

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think what was most baffling is that this was a known fact such a market didn't exist since like 2006(?).

In the mid 00s Nielsen started replacing their method of collecting viewership data from self reported viewing logs to automatically recorded set top devices. Overnight rating numbers for stuff like PBS and anything educational fucken tanked and if your curious why there was a sudden explosion of absolutely garbage TV programming and the death of The Learning Channel and History Channel and Discovery's original mission statements its because suddenly networks knew what people actually watched instead of what they lied they did.

Similar sort of situation when the record labels actually started collecting real album sales data in the 90s and suddenly a lot of gold record artists and stuff from the past become real questionable.

Edit: I cannot stress enough how completely fuckin made up and counter to how reality works old record sales chart counting worked.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 08:20 on May 18, 2024

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Barudak posted:

Overnight rating numbers for stuff like PBS and anything educational fucken tanked and if your curious why there was a sudden explosion of absolutely garbage TV programming and the death of The Learning Channel and History Channel and Discovery's original mission statements its because suddenly networks knew what people actually watched instead of what they lied they did.
they should go back to listening to the liars and people like you should go to jail forever.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Cubone posted:

they should go back to listening to the liars and people like you should go to jail forever.

"All houses have sewage pipes so they must love sewage and want more"

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Cubone posted:

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

the people were just lying to themselves

we crave the slop

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Gutcruncher posted:

I hate Star Wars so much

I talk about it too much but there's really something about prequel revisionism that tilts me like no other movie opinion. I usually don't want to just tell people they have bad taste, but I make an exception in this case.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

meat police posted:

anything really, I just like the opinion of some beatdown vhs repairmen GEEZ

They finally made something at least :) Thank you RLM

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Someone needs to shove him into a locker and tell him to stop making new Star War.

Like he proved he could sort of salvage a decent story out of the wreckage of the prequels, but all of his other stuff sucks and is just him endlessly promoting his own characters that he absolutely adores, even though their purpose in the story has long expired.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Kingo Ligma posted:

Go on, do it. Call Mace Windu the N word

That they still freely post after that is wild

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

Edit: I cannot stress enough how completely fuckin made up and counter to how reality works old record sales chart counting worked.

I'd be super curious to hear more. I know even when I was getting into music they were certifying gold/platinum albums by units shipped to stores, not actually purchased by customers. I realized this when, during a brief phase of really following Billboard charts, I was following two albums that came out on the same day. Album A was higher on the chart (actual sales) than Album B every week. Then a few weeks in Album B was suddenly gold when Album A wasn't and I was very :confused:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

dreezy posted:

love when theres a new rlm video and everyone just talks about star wars instead

this. it's pathetic

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
I'll talk about the new video: guess I need to watch the last 2 seasons of Chucky, I only watched the first season and president Devon Sawa sounds fun

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Crescent Wrench posted:

I'd be super curious to hear more. I know even when I was getting into music they were certifying gold/platinum albums by units shipped to stores, not actually purchased by customers. I realized this when, during a brief phase of really following Billboard charts, I was following two albums that came out on the same day. Album A was higher on the chart (actual sales) than Album B every week. Then a few weeks in Album B was suddenly gold when Album A wasn't and I was very :confused:

They would call stores and ask what was selling and stores could say whatever they wanted. This led to lots of things like a wild underreporting of sales figures of minority and non mainstream artists, fabricated ghost sales of thought to be more popular artists, as well as completely backwards to human nature things like thinking sales get stronger after the first week because it would take a few weeks for stores to realize hey people are buying a lot of this stuff.

The last one is the great. Only 6 records ever debuted at number one in the pre-actual record keeping era. And all 6 were from already established mega-artists everyone knew. When they switched over I think the very first week a garbage rear end skid row album launched at one and everyone realized the entire system was hosed.

There is a reason why country and rap music exploded mainstream immediately following accurate album record keeping because everyone suddenly knew what people were buying and they should all be investing way more money into making and promoting it.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

took some duckduckgoing but I finally found an article to back that up: https://www.billboard.com/pro/billboard-chart-history-evolution-milestones/

quote:

Jan. 20, 1990: Billboard begins using Broadcast Data Systems’ (BDS) electronically-tracked airplay monitoring system for the Hot Country Songs chart. It was the first Billboard chart to employ BDS data. BDS’ information would later filter across all of our airplay charts.

May 25, 1991: The Top Pop Albums chart begins using SoundScan Inc.’s electronically monitored point-of-sale information to power its rankings. Billboard’s then-publisher, Howard Lander, wrote in that week’s magazine, “For more than 30 years, our sales charts have relied on rankings of best-selling records obtained from stores, over the telephone or by messenger service. Until now, the only technological changes have been the introduction of computer to tally the data more quickly and the recent usage of fax machines, but the basic methodology has remained the same. With [this week’s charts], we are proud to begin using actual piece counts on our two leading [album] charts: Top Pop Albums and Top Country Albums.”

Following this change, the behavior of albums’ movement on the albums chart noticeably changed. Quickly, rap, hard rock and country albums occupied higher rankings on the list, and albums began frequently debuting at No. 1. The first album to bow at No. 1 after the introduction of SoundScan’s data was Skid Row‘s Slave to the Grind on the list dated June 29, 1991. Six more No. 1 debuts followed in 1991: four rock albums, one country set (Garth Brooks‘ Ropin the Wind) and Michael Jackson‘s Dangerous. Since SoundScan data began powering the chart in 1991, more than 700 albums have debuted at No. 1. (SoundScan and BDS are now Nielsen Music.)

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I'm just glad art is driven by demand rather than vision. we're so lucky to have capitalism

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
drat, computers really did change everything.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Crescent Wrench posted:

I'd be super curious to hear more. I know even when I was getting into music they were certifying gold/platinum albums by units shipped to stores, not actually purchased by customers.
Seriously? All this time I thought the comic book industry was the only one that did that.

Suddenly it's making sense how I could get a book autographed in the 90s, and the author would say he's signed more copies than the publisher's told him they sold.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

it's really amazing that the entertainment industry used to be entirely based on vibes

it's even more amazing that everything went to poo poo when they stopped

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Art should always be guided by vibes. Data is the death of vibes and art. That includes generative data art, which is boring as gently caress.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Khanstant posted:

Art should always be guided by vibes. Data is the death of vibes and art. That includes generative data art, which is boring as gently caress.

really sickening to see youtube thumbnails with this poo poo. goons should know better too but you still see people posting ai stories and pictures like it's not incredibly offensive and gross

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Can 100% confirm that the move to data driven decision making has ruined the entire entertainment industry. The other fun piece is that you still can’t trust the data, or the algorithms, or predictions about what will or won’t make money. But everyone is doing it because it’s easier to justify to your boss when some project loses a bunch of money.

Imagine the nerds at Netflix saying “b-b-b-but boooss! The algo TOLD me to spend a billion dollars on a crime caper with the rock, Ryan Reynolds, and gal gadot! How was I supposed to know?”

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
There was a whole Roseanne episode where they became a Nielsen family and decided to watch pbs nature docs for the good of their unborn child

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Not advertising the tennis threeway movie as being written by the potion seller guy was a real misstep.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

khwarezm posted:

I talk about it too much but there's really something about prequel revisionism that tilts me like no other movie opinion. I usually don't want to just tell people they have bad taste, but I make an exception in this case.

If it makes you feel any better, episode 1 was probably the highest viewed star wars movie on disney+ because lots of people totally new to star wars said "I guess I'll start with the first episode" and then were so revolted they stopped there.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

RealityWarCriminal posted:

There was a whole Roseanne episode where they became a Nielsen family and decided to watch pbs nature docs for the good of their unborn child

one of those nielsen people came by my house but i looked into it and there's a lot of homework to do with surveys and poo poo so i passed

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

i think it was like 2008 or 2009 and i was living alone in shithole southeast ohio when i got a huge nielson packet that they wanted me to fill out. the weirdest thing was that they included two crisp $1 bills inside as an in incentive for completing the survey. i thought that was weird because i didnt do any work yet and ultimately just pocketed the bills and threw the packet away. then a month or so later they sent another with two $1 bills inside lol. basically they just gave me $4 for my trouble of opening the packets. i love television and have opinions about it but gently caress them for thinking $2 was worth my time/effort. at that time i was mostly torrenting whatever i wanted to watch anyway

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

if you want an american to read and write it's going to take a hell of a lot more than 2 dollars

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

henkman posted:

That they still freely post after that is wild

i assume you're talking about the coward who refused to call mace windu the n word and not the creator of the forums greatest post

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

That DICK! posted:

i assume you're talking about the coward who refused to call mace windu the n word and not the creator of the forums greatest post

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Hackers film 1995 posted:

i think it was like 2008 or 2009 and i was living alone in shithole southeast ohio when i got a huge nielson packet that they wanted me to fill out. the weirdest thing was that they included two crisp $1 bills inside as an in incentive for completing the survey. i thought that was weird because i didnt do any work yet and ultimately just pocketed the bills and threw the packet away. then a month or so later they sent another with two $1 bills inside lol. basically they just gave me $4 for my trouble of opening the packets. i love television and have opinions about it but gently caress them for thinking $2 was worth my time/effort. at that time i was mostly torrenting whatever i wanted to watch anyway

Nielsen still sends me a couple bucks every so often, dunno why since all I watch is football and nerd poo poo on Youtube.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

That DICK! posted:

Of course

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
All I’m saying is if Mace Windu says right to my face to say the n-word I’m loving doing what goddamn Mace Windu tells me

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOlNHXQCT_4

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

if you want an american to read and write it's going to take a hell of a lot more than 2 dollars

drat right bitch. also i was a single white man living alone in southeast ohio. that demographic is more likely to mail a bomb to a demycrat than give useful opinions on tv programming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Gutcruncher posted:

All I’m saying is if Mace Windu says right to my face to say the n-word I’m loving doing what goddamn Mace Windu tells me

The hypotheticals are out of hand mr musk