Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Amazon US listing is up and you get the usual prime discount knocking it from 59.99 to 47.99 at checkout. I know what I'm spending my points on! :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
I kind of want to see the cutting room floor at Atlus USA right now, because I have no doubt they tried as hard as they could to connect it to Yakuza. As it stands, we'll probably need a separate thread because Lost Paradise is so far removed from Yakuza that it's apparently getting an English dub.

I was gonna suggest writing up an OP for Kiwami 2 and making that the main Yakuza series thread, but midway through I had a very unpleasant realization: Kiwami 2 comes out on August 28. Four days after that, I'm going on vacation (to somewhere that's not Osaka) and will have no access to my PS4. By the time I get back, Lost Paradise will be less than ten days from release.

This means that, if I'm gonna play Lost Paradise at launch, I need to speedrun the Yakuza title with the best story, the only one I've never played, in less than two weeks. Otherwise, I need to choose between Kiryu and Kenshiro.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Captain Walker posted:

I kind of want to see the cutting room floor at Atlus USA right now, because I have no doubt they tried as hard as they could to connect it to Yakuza. As it stands, we'll probably need a separate thread because Lost Paradise is so far removed from Yakuza that it's apparently getting an English dub.

I was gonna suggest writing up an OP for Kiwami 2 and making that the main Yakuza series thread, but midway through I had a very unpleasant realization: Kiwami 2 comes out on August 28. Four days after that, I'm going on vacation (to somewhere that's not Osaka) and will have no access to my PS4. By the time I get back, Lost Paradise will be less than ten days from release.

This means that, if I'm gonna play Lost Paradise at launch, I need to speedrun the Yakuza title with the best story, the only one I've never played, in less than two weeks. Otherwise, I need to choose between Kiryu and Kenshiro.

The answer is cancel the vacation, obviously.

Alternatively, two PS4's and two TVs.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

:siren: Yakuza Kiwami and 0 are coming to PC :siren:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/638970/Yakuza_0/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/834530/Yakuza_Kiwami/

univbee fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 11, 2018

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I'm double dipping, I don't caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaare.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
AT LAST, THE LONG NIGHT OF YAKUZA MODS HAS COME!

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I've played both games to absolute completion and I will one hundred percent buy them again because I want Sega to release the rest on PC as well so I have an excuse to replay all of them again (again (again)).

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

holy poo poo

i mean i bought a ps4 to play all the yakuza titles, so i guess I got burned by this announcement, but if it means more people can enjoy and support the series then fantastic.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

man nurse posted:

holy poo poo

i mean i bought a ps4 to play all the yakuza titles, so i guess I got burned by this announcement, but if it means more people can enjoy and support the series then fantastic.

If anything PC will be an ever flowing font of money that can make Yakuza bigger on Playstation and its new home.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

first order of business for Yakuza 0:

a mod to replace Lao Gui with his chinese counterpart

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Ryuga Death posted:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I'm double dipping, I don't caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaare.

:same:

Maybe we'll see Yakuza 6 and Shin Yakuza on PC in the future question mark

Gio Corsi truly is the granter of dreams

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

:siren: Yakuza 0 PC cheap for the next hour-ish, stealing from Resetera :siren:

STEAM DEAL 2 Hours Only!
Yakuza Zero ROW Steam key from Voidu for ~15.34 CAD with Paypal exchange rate as long as you use the coupon code: 120MINSPECIAL

https://www.voidu.com/en/yakuza-0-digital-deluxe-edition-3

Seems the site is getting hammered, but I can confirm that you get a Steam key immediately and can be redeemed on your account.
Wanted to get this on PS4 but there hasn't been any avenue to get it cheaply. This will do fine!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

univbee posted:

:siren: Yakuza 0 PC cheap for the next hour-ish, stealing from Resetera :siren:

STEAM DEAL 2 Hours Only!
Yakuza Zero ROW Steam key from Voidu for ~15.34 CAD with Paypal exchange rate as long as you use the coupon code: 120MINSPECIAL

https://www.voidu.com/en/yakuza-0-digital-deluxe-edition-3

Seems the site is getting hammered, but I can confirm that you get a Steam key immediately and can be redeemed on your account.
Wanted to get this on PS4 but there hasn't been any avenue to get it cheaply. This will do fine!

Voidu tends to have keys that are not redeemable in US.

The last thing I purchased from them didn't have the warning on the store page but the key was still region-locked. When I contacted customer service the warning mysteriously appeared on the page the next day

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

This one specifically says US and it sounds like Resetera people are redeeming them OK. Hopefully they work.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

its grey market, you may as well get it from fanatical if you want a bigger discount

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
Question about the ending:is the politician supposed to be Abe, or just some generic dude

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

some guy

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

wew lads and lasses just imagine when the dragon engine games hit PC and you can 4k60+ them so you see our Yakuza boys in their highest glory yet.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

mp5 posted:

some guy

I would agree with this, but I want to believe that (post-credit spoilers) Kiryu's story pauses while they test out the new main guy ends with the Dragon of Dojima successfully intimidating the prime minister, from a hospital bed no less.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Hey, if you really wanted PS4 Yakuza 0 and Kiwami but didn't like their price, good news!

Should kick off June 28th, be available physically and digitally at that price.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

GANDHITRON posted:

if anyone needs help with baseball, here's a dumb thing I wrote because I too tired to find the guide someone better wrote but not tired enough to write several paragraphs about fake video game baseball:

I'm pretty sure the part about it letting you bat specifically during critical moments is at least somewhat wrong; I finished all the baseball missions and at least half the time no one was on base when it sent me to bat. It just always sends you 3 times every match. It's possible that it will be biased towards sending you out when the bases are full (if possible) I suppose, but you'll end up getting sent out 3 times regardless (and there have been many times I've been annoyed at it sending me out at bad times when no one was on base and my home run wouldn't help much).

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
For the baseball, do your best to sign all the extra players by doing side quests.

Spam the poo poo out of all the upgrade tickets on one good pitcher. This will allow you to sort of lock out the other team from scoring while you farm tickets for your other players :feelsgood:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Which pitcher did you put your tickets into?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
fyi my baseball posts

exploded mummy posted:

Baseball isnt too hard.

In the team management side of things try to prioritize the dudes who have up arrows and green arrows. The best pitcher is Gorchov.

When a pitcher with low stamina runs out of pitches, swap in a fresher one.

In the batting side of things

Basically each pitch has a path that it will take from where it first appears.

You need to figure out exactly where it will go and position the cursor in that zone and then time the swing for when the area around the circle closes.

You do know what pitches a pitcher will throw, so you can take some liberties with guesses.

Movement patterns:

Fastball - does not move

Moves one square -
Change up- extremely slow, moves one square down
Curveball - moves down and to the right one square
Slider - moves right one square
Sinker - horizontally opposite to the curveball, it moves left and down one.
Shootball - moves left one square

Moves half a square (these pitches will start on a line or in the corner)
Forkball/Splitter - half a square down, Sutter is faster
Cutter - half a square to the right
Two seamer - half a square to the left
One seamer - half a square down and left - this is the only pitch that starts on a corner so it is really easy to tell

Its probably easiest to figure out the pitch is what if it starts out of the zone. Either the pitch will be a fastball (dont seing) or break In to the zone in a way that is easy to guess

It's also kind of easy later especially if someone uses a two seamer and not a cutter.

In the batting center you can work on timing, but the patterns never change, so if you do the course once, you should be able to sit on the pitch and pass easily. (This even goes for the 2 special substories)

exploded mummy posted:

the statistics are:

Power - Higher power means its easier to hit homeruns and extra base hits, even if you don't get a ton of power on the swing
Contact - how much leeway you get when timing the swing with that character when you bat
Speed - not really applicable to your plate appearance, but it seems to increase your chances for beating the throw

then everyone gets 6 defensive ratings based on where they like to play the field. You should try to stick people to their natural position (which is given on the stat screen) but some people are great utility guys and can swap around a ton of positions without sacrificing defense

as far as I can tell, every players has a set growth path, and its not randomized, so just keep feeding them tickets to get better. all players who have bad skills (like Gorchov or Chiba) get new ones that are much better.

baseball abbreviations (aside there's some weird Japanese stat keeping notation for recording plate appearances that I don't know and doesn't really matter)

LF - Left field
RF - Right Field
CF - Center Field
OF - Outfield. This is the top center position on the map, and encapsulates all of LF/RF/CF. Players only get a sole OF score so the split doesn't mean much.

Infield - base numbering runs counter clockwise and starts at the 3 o'clock position

1B - First Baseman, plays at first base
2B - Second Baseman, plays between second base and first on the right side of the infield
3B - Third baseman, plays at third base
SS - Shortstop, plays between second base and third on the left side of the infield
C - Catcher, plays behind home plate
P - Pitcher, plays in the middle of the diamond

DH - Designated Hitter - a player who bats in lieu of the pitcher, but does not play the field. You can ignore their defensive score when you bat them.

the actual management isn't too hard, just try to stack the team with as many up arrow players as possible, then green players, and blue players. Sometimes you might want to stick people out of position, but that also runs the chance of having more errors at that position in the game.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
“Ryu ga Gotoku’s Western audience is so culturally different from players at home, they need a guide to understand our beloved national pastime of baseball” - some Sega exec, probably

Edit for content:

julian assflange posted:

Spam the poo poo out of all the upgrade tickets on one good pitcher.

Adding to this, Gorchov is by far the best pitcher, as previously mentioned. He’s also pretty easy to get; after unlocking the ability to recruit other players (substory 35) he’ll join you the next time you beat the second spearfishing map.

The game describes him as an “ace rookie” so naturally he will end up with As in every stat, but his stamina in particular grows so quickly that he makes the very concept of a relief pitcher obsolete. As for actual pitching ability? Occasionally, when he’s in poor condition, the final team does have enough really good batters that they will get one or two runs in an entire game. I have literally never had someone get a hit off Gorchov in any other circumstance.

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jun 20, 2018

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Captain Walker posted:

“Ryu ga Gotoku’s Western audience is so culturally different from players at home, they need a guide to understand our beloved national pastime of baseball” - some Sega exec, probably

I don't think anywhere in Europe knows about baseball dude.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

Which pitcher did you put your tickets into?

Gorchov (sp?) is the best pitcher. You get him from a substory.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

History Comes Inside! posted:

Gorchov (sp?) is the best pitcher. You get him from a substory.

That’s the one

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Can’t wait for Akiyama’s exclusive football minigame in Yakuza 7

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

look everyone knows there's a lot of overlap between baseball nerds and geeks, but I didn't understand 95% of the baseball poo poo in Yakuza 6 and I grew up in America, have a cousin I'm close with who's involved in MLB professionally, and have been to three or four games.

I couldn't tell you what half of the poo poo that was going on during that game meant, why things I did at bat were strikes or balls, or even really what most of the team does aside from the obvious on-base positions. When you start getting into stats and stuff it means even less to me.

I appreciate the Yakuza series' insane dedication to tutorials because while I might not need it for like, playing blackjack I sure as gently caress need it for say, playing shogi. (Plus it's loving hilarious that this game has a tutorial for "making friends at a bar.")

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I want a whole game made of the baseball management minigame, complete with beating up Menacing Men to get new players.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Should maybe clarify that I was absolutely joking; I would have gone on to say that this fictional Sega executive is the dude who decides whether we get English remasters of Kenzan/Ishin if I hadn't been phone postin'

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

End of chapter 12 spoilers: jesus loving christ I don't care about this Iwami Shipbuilding/Yomei Alliance bullshit or any of those boring idiots with their dumb boat, and now there's a bunch of Hirose flashbacks that could've been summed up in a couple of sentences instead of making me sit through a half-hour cutscene and ughhh just let me get back to the good plot stuff instead of this crap

I don't mind a bunch of long cutscenes as long as they're interesting or at least so stupid they're entertaining, but I was about to fall asleep there.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Just beat the game, glorious glorious stuff! The ending is peak Kiryu, he has really outdone himself, doing convoluted selfless things and being a legendary badass.

There were parts of the story that could've been better, I agree with the above post for example, more so I was less interested in Lo but overall I dug how it had a different feel to it from the other games, sort of doing it's own thing. And the finale pulled it all off very well for me. Thumbs up.

Looking forward to punching tigers and stepping into the shoes of a legendary manga man. And Dragon Quest XI is out between those two games, it's madness.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Which of these games is the one where you recruit a duck to work for you? Please respond ASAP this is an emergency

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Which of these games is the one where you recruit a duck to work for you? Please respond ASAP this is an emergency

Yakuza 0, OP. It's a chicken though

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Thank you, very much.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Is there a Yakuza 0 thread? I am trying to finish off the Electronics King area but I cannot get the last property because I have to beat the girl at Outrun and I always run out of time, even though I don't hit anything and am going flat out.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

twistedmentat posted:

Is there a Yakuza 0 thread? I am trying to finish off the Electronics King area but I cannot get the last property because I have to beat the girl at Outrun and I always run out of time, even though I don't hit anything and am going flat out.
You mean you can't beat any of the Club Sega girl's scores? This might be a stupid question, but... uh, did you ever shift to high gear? Never shifting out of low gear is a common mistake to make if you haven't played OutRun before, and would explain why you'd always run out of time despite not making mistakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Doc M posted:

You mean you can't beat any of the Club Sega girl's scores? This might be a stupid question, but... uh, did you ever shift to high gear? Never shifting out of low gear is a common mistake to make if you haven't played OutRun before, and would explain why you'd always run out of time despite not making mistakes.

Yea, I only switch to low gear when I make turns. I only ever have 70 seconds, it never increases, so i time out before I reach any kind of switch. I never crash or spin out, just max speed, switching gears to make turns.

I'm stuck at 86% of his area and I own everything else. I guess I could just watch until I have everything at A rank, that should put me over, but I want to own the drat arcade.

I swear there's more traffic when you take on these challanges.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jun 29, 2018

• Locked thread